• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Does PTSD by itself make someone do this?

Or does it just make you more susceptible to being pissed off by things, like news rhetoric.

I don't understand how someone would plan out something like this without thinking about it ahead of time and being stirred by something to do it, even with PTSD.

Unless he had a host of other issues.
I don't think it can be put all on ptsd. Other issues can include his economic situation, social skills (lack of), and general intelligence. If he was a follower of rightist propaganda, it is not good for his mind.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
There is no reason private citizens should be allowed to by and carry semi automatic guns.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I am a local here. My friend was one of the victims. I also work closely with a non-profit that often time is the first line of communication to the public. If you happen to know anyone in need of counseling,

crisis services or counseling-

1. The Ventura County Crisis Team at 866-998-2243

2. CSUCI students and staff-

Students are encouraged to reach out to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for additional support. CAPS can be reached anytime at 805-437-2088. If you reach the voicemail, select option 2 to access 24/7 phone counseling.

RIP...
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Oct 25, 2017
Tears streaming down my face watching that father talking about his son being killed. My heart breaks for all the families and friends that lost loved ones, I don't know what to say other than that. This country is in an abysmal sad state when it comes to this issue and all that's left is heartbreak.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
How is this not the top thread or news story?

Because our country is just a giant clusterfuck right now. There are literally so many things happening this moment, a midterm election with Jim Crow-level voter suppression is still going during national protests against the President.

These victims are going to go tragically ignored by a ton of people.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts & Prayers™ about to start taking effect any day now, just hang on......

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
Talking about gun violence is a pretty interesting thing, mostly because I'm afraid to online without a backlash

I don't blame guns for the violence which people decide to use them for, I can't blame the media for showing the aftermath because we need to see it, and you can't single people out for being a bit weird, because so many easy mistakes can be made.

But showing the aftermath of a family breaking down, and the destruction caused because of the tragedy gives that on weird fellow that we aren't able to single out, a power fantasy of self importance in wanting to do something similar.

So all that's left to do is attack each other because there's no real answer on how to stop anything from happening.

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The video of that lady above breaks my heart to pieces. This should never have happened. This would be huge news in any other developed country. In the US it's just another day! It's fucking nuts.
I can't understand the people who say it's a culture thing or a mental illness thing. Okay! So you have this country with all these mentally ill people and a shit culture, so DONT GIVE THEM GUNS for chrissake!!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
These videos are hitting my heart deep...I don't even know what to say anymore..what the hell is it going to take to get some fucking gun law reform..???????

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
yea im taking a lot of stock in your worthless opinion guy

somehow I've made it more than 3 decades in many different houses in many different cities and parts of the country without a gun to "protect" me, why change that now

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty wild that this massive wild fire kicked up over there as well. Rough day for the community.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
America is the greatest country on Earth, but it's also a dystopian hellscape where you're being naive if you're not armed to the teeth.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that in this shooting, and the in synagogue shooting, among the casualties were trained police officers knowingly responding to the incidents. How is a civilian who is engaged first supposed to protect themselves with a gun? How is a civilian who is out at a bar, presumably drinking, supposed to protect themselves from a trained marine who's detonated smoke bombs?

What were people supposed to do with the Vegas shooter? Sniping from an elevated position? Fire your glock into the side of a hotel and hope you hit the right unit?

Anyone who says America needs more guns is someone living out a macho fantasy where they're Mr. Quickdraw shooting six-irons out of Black Bart's hand and grabbing Miss May by the pussy. It's honestly pathetic and delusional.

Talk about home protection if you want, but this is a thread about a domestic terror attack, so your gun in your home is a non-factor.

Also I think people want security at clubs and concerts to keep guns out, so I don't know how anyone is going to square that circle of "we need people in clubs carrying guns" with "we need security to keep guns out of clubs."

You only feel safe in your own home if you own a firearm? What a depressing way to live. A lot of Americans are conditioned to be scared of everyone and everything it seems. It's so sad.

It's pretty telling that the earliest rumours were of a "Middle-Eastern" looking shooter. Americans are so conditioned to associate "brown+foreign" with "terror," even though the vast majority of terrorism is domestic.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a lot of "if we make xyz type of gun ownership criminal, only criminals will do it" lately, as if that's a good argument.

You mean, people with illegal and dangerous intent would be easier to spot because what they're doing would be explicitly illegal? Oh god, no. No, don't make it easier for law enforcement and security to spot dangerous and criminal people. That would be such a bad thing.

The people who don't want "only criminals" to be identifiably dangerous is because they seriously do think that a good guy with a gun is going to use up his dead eye meter saving the day. Weird how we've had over 300 shootings this year alone and that hasn't happened even once, even when trained law enforcement have been on scene.

Same thing with a vehicle but thats not really the point. Ideally though, gun ownership should require basic training and proficiency as getting a drivers license.

But a vehicle has a purpose outside of causing death. A gun's purpose is death so the fact that it increases the likeliness of death isn't exactly a surprise. That's just a tool doing its job well.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America is the greatest country on Earth, but it's also a dystopian hellscape where you're being naive if you're not armed to the teeth.
America is not even close to being the greatest country in the world.

People should stop saying this as it's disingenuous and a GOP talking point.