• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Are we pretending these happen everyday now ? There are more victims of gun homicides in 3 regular days in the USA than there were victims of the November 2015 attacks in Paris (by far the deadliest attack in Western Europe in 10+ years).
You have 3-4 times more chance to be killed in the USA than in France, the UK or Germany.

Shh, the numbers don't mean *anything*.

Someone told them it was *really* bad over there.

Yeah and I'm saying I rather take my chances here then ever live in any of those places.

Why is that? They're all rather fine places to live.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Are we pretending these happen everyday now ? There are more victims of gun homicides in 3 regular days in the USA than there were victims of the November 2015 attacks in Paris (by far the deadliest attack in Western Europe in 10+ years).
You have 3-4 times more chance to be killed in the USA than in France, the UK or Germany.

I live under Sharia law here in the UK don't you know ... /s

Honestly people trying to play down the amount of deaths by guns in the US and point out that "Europe" is like a war zone or something as evidence just makes me lol.

Very sad for the victims and families and my heart goes out to them.

But it's America nothing will change it will happen again.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of terrible but I've been thinking about this a lot. Guns have been available forever in this country. In fact, in the past they didn't have background checks or waiting periods. And yet back in the50, 60,70,80s etc., you barely ever had mass shootings. And kids/school shootings just didn't happen. So what has changed?? It's because in the past people with severe mental problems largely lived in secured institutions. But now that they live at home and are rarely monitored, no care and may not take any medications, many end up in jail or prison. We have to fix our mental health crises and teach kids from day one conflict resolution.
Could be to do with unemployment or employment prospects and the rise of mental health issues in recent years. Automation, widespread job loss, etc. People have more than ever to be terrified and paranoid and angry about now

I grew up listening to throw away news segments on the radio about murders and wars over there. Bombings, and all the that mixed in with the morning weather. Now it's acid attacks, suicide bombers and people plowing people with cars.

So yeah both have tragic things that happen on their land, everything else I rather live in America. That's my opinion, you will have yours because you were born and raised where you're.
Nnnno. These things are incredibly rare in the UK and Europe. In the UK we have a handful of mass murders in the last couple of decades to your hundreds.

That said, the UK is only 60 million-odd people to the USA's 300+ million, so part of it is probability, but even accounting for population difference, the USA is one of the worst in the world.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
It's a shame and a very tragic situation. I wish I could have some words for solace but I have not. There is no words that can amend this kind of crime. I'm from Colombia. I was born, raised and probably going to die in a country that every day is at war with itself. Massacres, inhumane crimes are reported in news every day since the day I was born. Hell they year I was born one of the most atrocious massacres in Latin America occurred. All this to say that you to reap wath you saw people. Here we had the opportunity, multiple times, to change the outcome, but the minorities that controls the country with fear monger tactics always get what they want. It seems that USA is suffering from this too. Elections have consequences, and unfortunately the outcome is grimm. I hope you can change the outcome with the results of the midterms and hopefully with the 2020 elections. People around the world, specially in poor and underdeveloped countries ("third world countries) still see USA as a beacon of freedom, opportunity and change. I hope that someday you can be truly that. World needs hope. Some countries in EU, USA and Canada have always from out point of view the bearers of hope.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Neogaf thread on Sandy Hook had about 70-80 pages in the first day after it happened. In the same time frame, this has had less than 20. The thread about Tabata leaving Square Enix on gaming side got double this.

How have we reached a point where a shooting killing 13 in the United States is this small of news? Fuck.
Sandyhook made me lost most hope and die a little inside tbh.
We had Obama shedding tears on tv, and still nothing could be done thanks to the NRA lobbying and Republicans.

I'll still vote for gun control at every stage and time possible obviously, but looking at reality in the face, way too many Americans are in love with their guns and find violence exciting, for things to drastically change any time soon.

Little reminder, if we need any, of the victims of Sandyhook:

Charlotte Bacon, 6
Olivia Engel, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine Hsu, 6
Catherine Hubbard, 6
Ana Marquez Greene, 6
Jesse Lewis, 6
Emilie Parker, 6
James mattioli, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison Wyatt, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Josephine Gay, 7
Chase Kowalsky, 7
Grace McDonnell, 7

And of course the 6 wonderful teachers who also died protecting their kids, aged 27 to 56.

Rachel D'Avino
Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung
Anne Marie Murphy
Lauren Rousseau
Mary Sherlach
Victoria Soto

Every time I think about this I want to weep, but it's becoming harder every day with so much of that shit happening on an almost daily occurence.

Last edited:

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
The shooter posted on Facebook just before the shooting took place pretty much mocking the fact that people's response to these shootings are just ''thoughts and prayers' Everytime.

Crazy. This was more than just PTSD, this guy already had many problems since high school.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The thread has moved away from the Borderline shooting over the past couple pages and into a broader gun control discussion, but I find this bit of information both relevant and unsurprising.

Thousand Oaks Gunman's High School Coach Speaks About Sexual Assault

So he was a piece of shit long before he was in the military. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that he had a history of misconduct in the Marines or was even outright kicked out.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Serious question here, any of you Americans thinking of leaving the country?
No offense, but Americas situation looks absolutely fucked, and seems to just get worse.
Not particularly. Sitting online or just watching my news feeds can feel pretty bad, but then I walk outside my door and remember this place is pretty great. I'm not one of those people who calls America the greatest country on Earth, but if take how much I like America and combine that with the fact that I'd be leaving my friends, family, and business behind, no, it wouldn't be worth it to move.

The Neogaf thread on Sandy Hook had about 70-80 pages in the first day after it happened. In the same time frame, this has had less than 20. The thread about Tabata leaving Square Enix on gaming side got double this.

How have we reached a point where a shooting killing 13 in the United States is this small of news? Fuck.
At some point, I just lack anything to say anymore. For example, the last two times CD Projekt said something bigoted, I commented in Video Games about how it was disgusting, and I wouldn't buy their upcoming game. If they do it again, I probably won't post.

The impact of these shootings is not lessened on me. I am horrified by each one still, and I couldn't watch the videos of the parents in this thread without tearing up. I almost always read every single post in these threads, to learn more and see if anything is being done, but everything I just said is why I don't necessarily make a bunch of posts every time.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017

Millions of Americans (vast majority) who own guns and never use them to commit crimes. Lots of us who have seen violence impact our real lives as opposed to so many people for whom it's only a scary thing they saw on TV. The bulk of gun violence isn't mass shootings it's poor people getting killed in the hoods all over the nation.
I'm pro reasonable gun control such as strong background checks , flagging people who might be going through some issues and even limiting magazine size. I am not for people telling me I can only have a riffle or a revolver. I don't understand why people want to jump past reasonable gun control the public can agree on straight to ban guns.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Millions of Americans (vast majority) who own guns and never use them to commit crimes. Lots of us who have seen violence impact our real lives as opposed to so many people for whom it's only a scary thing they saw on TV. The bulk of gun violence isn't mass shootings it's poor people getting killed in the hoods all over the nation.
I'm pro reasonable gun control such as strong background checks , flagging people who might be going through some issues and even limiting magazine size. I am not for people telling me I can only have a riffle or a revolver. I don't understand why people want to jump past reasonable gun control the public can agree on straight to ban guns.

Because you don't need it.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
I used to be for background checks more education and things of that nature. But in the end it has been over 30 years and the responsible gun owners have dug their heels in every step of the way. Fighting every measure and provision. So if the responsible gun owner is not going to do anything about it then I will support a full on ban.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Because you don't need it.
Have you seen the way this country is going? Be foolish not to have one. You have people on this forum wishing for violence and a revolution in a America and you think you won't need a gun?

Granted I owned one way before Trump, but still. On the off chance those posters get their wish it's nice to know it's there.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We had Obama shedding tears on tv, and still nothing could be done thanks to the NRA lobbying and Republicans.

I'll still vote for gun control at every stage and time possible obviously, but looking at reality in the face, way too many Americans are in love with their guns and find violence exciting, for things to drastically change any time soon.

Charlotte Bacon, 6
Olivia Engel, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine Hsu, 6
Catherine Hubbard, 6
Ana Marquez Greene, 6
Jesse Lewis, 6
Emilie Parker, 6
James mattioli, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison Wyatt, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Josephine Gay, 7
Chase Kowalsky, 7
Grace McDonnell, 7

And of course the 6 wonderful teachers who also died protecting their kids, aged 27 to 56.

Rachel D'Avino
Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung
Anne Marie Murphy
Lauren Rousseau
Mary Sherlach
Victoria Soto

Every time I think about this I want to weep, but it's becoming harder every day with so much of that shit happening on an almost daily occurence.

Fuck...

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen the way this country is going? Be foolish not to have one. You have people on this forum wishing for violence and a revolution in a America and you think you won't need a gun?

Granted I owned one way before Trump, but still. On the off chance those posters get their wish it's nice to know it's there.

You and everyone else just don't need it. Period.

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Don't even get me started. The damage that GWB / company did to the military and soldiers specifically with the Iraq was is incalculable, and we as a people won't realize the full extent of the fuckery created for 30+ years - especially with the VA being as bad as it was when it has to come treating vets. (Both lack of funding and gross incompetence).

Oh come on, if you're going to call the south asian racist towards other south asians, just do it.

I think a couple of days afterward they brought that the dallas shooter had been messed up from his deployment?

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/d...ged-after-army-deployment-parents-say-n607426
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dallas-micah-johnson-family-military-service-army-afghanistan/

Reminder that this graph is specifically and deliberately misleading - notice it says gun deaths instead of gun murders.

This is gun murders vs gun ownership
gun_deaths3.png

This is gun suicides vs gun ownership

gun_deaths4.png

The Dallas police shooter was a carpenter whose most traumatic experience in Afghanistan was getting sent home and later kicked out for sexually harassing a female soldier.

Karamsoul

Oct 27, 2017

Charlotte Bacon, 6
Olivia Engel, 6
Dylan Hockley, 6
Madeleine Hsu, 6
Catherine Hubbard, 6
Ana Marquez Greene, 6
Jesse Lewis, 6
Emilie Parker, 6
James mattioli, 6
Jack Pinto, 6
Caroline Previdi, 6
Noah Pozner, 6
Jessica Rekos, 6
Avielle Richman, 6
Benjamin Wheeler, 6
Allison Wyatt, 6
Daniel Barden, 7
Josephine Gay, 7
Chase Kowalsky, 7
Grace McDonnell, 7

Rachel D'Avino
Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung
Anne Marie Murphy
Lauren Rousseau
Mary Sherlach
Victoria Soto

This list made me tear up. Sandy Hook was an utter tragedy that should have swayed the hearts and minds of even the most hardened people on the right. Instead, they made it out to be a conspiracy or just didn't care enough. This fills me with immense sadness...and hate, to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017

Your desire to own guns is responsible for every death.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cards are so stacked against us. The govt can't do anything if it doesn't even have any data on gun violence to begin with. The Dickey amendment made sure of that. Now it's 20 years later and the chilling effect of limiting public funds all but gutted the CDC's study into firearm violence. They literally lowered the budget by the exact amount it had used to study gun violence the year before it took effect. That shut down studies on gun violence for literally 20 years. Even the original author regretted that before his death, but here we are.

Combine that with the fact that the ATF is prohibited from creating a searchable electronic firearm database and you don't have to wonder why people who were marked as having law/mental health issues never get addressed before it's too late.

There is a systemic issue that needs to be addressed but we're not even allowed to gather information on it as that's been made all but illegal.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What about not letting mentally ill people have guns.
Ideally a common sense mesure would be to require a license to own, with a mandatory gun handling and gun storing course (gun safety), as well as a psych eval which would.have to be repeated every 2yrs, on top of a federal (private) database populated by professional psychologists about patients they deem should not be allowed to have guns. Mandatory background checks for every purchase, including private and gun shows would be needed as well.
Put on top a national buy back program, a national red flag program (initiated by relatives and close ones), a full on ban on assault weapons of any kind and high capacity magazines, and we'd have a good start imo.

But none of that will be deemed acceptable by lobbyists any time soon I am afraid, when even measures trying to limit Assault riffles mods to transform semi autos into nearly full autos have such a hard time passing in many places.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that this graph is specifically and deliberately misleading - notice it says gun deaths instead of gun murders.

This is gun murders vs gun ownership
gun_deaths3.png

This is gun suicides vs gun ownership

gun_deaths4.png
I'm wondering what the dots are for gun murders cause that doesn't match with the reality:

Or are you doing the old "Compare third world country's that have gun control to a first world country's gun murder rate" thing? Even then, the spread of the dots are so all over the place that that line can hardly be called representative of anything.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I'm anti-gun but as it stands that would be really hard to implement. I have GAD which is a mental illness. How long until I'm allowed to have a gun? What mental illnesses are exempt and which aren't? It'll never happen except for people who have been involuntarily committed. Though, believing that only mentally ill people do these types of shootings is the real problem. People can be perfectly mentally sound and still commit these disgusting acts. They can be aware it's wrong, in full control, and still do these things, sadly.

RIP to the victims and my condolences to everyone affected. I hate that this is commonplace in this country...So sad...

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Like Jim Jefferies said.

There's only argument against Gun Control:
Fuck off, I like my guns!
It's not the best, but it's all you got.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
To difficult and fluid a situation to monitor. Yes there should be improvements in mental health care, but there are just too many guns now. If not an outright ban, I actually support the limit to a single handgun and hunting rifle. If people want to possess exotic weapons they should all be locked up at firing ranges. Although I'm not sure how safe that is even.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So you don't live in America? Well then how the hell would you know what I need?

This isn't just about America though is it?:

more than enough crime and violence in the world to justify it.

And you seem to think the feeling of needing to own/carry a gun around is better than the alternative:

I grew up listening to throw away news segments on the radio about murders and wars over there. Bombings, and all the that mixed in with the morning weather. Now it's acid attacks, suicide bombers and people plowing people with cars.

So yeah both have tragic things that happen on their land, everything else I rather live in America. That's my opinion, you will have yours because you were born and raised where you're.

Bless you.

Maybe if you lived somewhere where you categorically weren't allowed to own a gun you'd understand. Walking around without fear of being shot, or without such a level of fear that you feel the need to carry a gun around, that's real freedom.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this world. How do Republican congressmen and women see something like this and sleep at night?
They can sleep fine. Conservatives lack empathy and can't take things seriously unless it hits close to home. I forgot his name but a US Republican politician did a complete 180 on healthcare once he started fighting cancer himself. I notice this same stupidity with Conservative family.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering what the dots are for gun murders cause that doesn't match with the reality:

Or are you doing the old "Compare third world country's that have gun control to a first world country's gun murder rate" thing? Even then, the spread of the dots are so all over the place that that line can hardly be called representative of anything.

I'd be interested to know what that one country that's a horrible outlier at the start is that allows that deceptive line to be drawn. :) Any thoughts?

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

the last terror attack with a vehicle that reached the world news was the one in Barcellona, 2017.
the last mass shooting in America before this one took place, dunno, a week before?

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
They can sleep fine. Conservatives lack empathy and can't take things seriously unless it hits close to home. I forgot his name but a US Republican politician did a complete 180 on healthcare once he started fighting cancer himself. I notice this same stupidity with Conservative family.

Or like Dick Cheney supporting gay marriage only once he found out his daughter was gay.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I used to be for background checks more education and things of that nature. But in the end it has been over 30 years and the responsible gun owners have dug their heels in every step of the way. Fighting every measure and provision. So if the responsible gun owner is not going to do anything about it then I will support a full on ban.

I don't think that is accurate. I was under the impression that most gun owners support gun control legislation. A total gun ban would be my preference as well if it was actually possible but it is not.
I see people post about banning guns and giving people a time period to relinquish the guns before the government comes to take them. These people clearly don't understand that the government doesn't know who has guns and who doesn't. They don't understand the second amendment is can't be undone. Instead they spout BS about how every gun owener is responsible for every gun death.

Gulfwarvet

Oct 30, 2017
From the bbc article

According to the website Gun Violence Archive, more than 12,000 people have been killed by firearms in the US so far this year, including about 3,000 people under the age of 18.

That number does not include an annual estimate of 22,000 suicides via firearms.

12,000! Seriously what the fucking hell America.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that most gun owners support gun control legislation.

If this is true, is the implication then that:

A. The majority of non-gun owners are opposed to gun control.

Or

B. The opinions of the people, whether for or against, are inconsequential and thus any talk of gun control is useless.

(A) would be strange, while (B) is very sad and those people who want guns and legislation should be protesting hard because the reason for the 2nd seems to have already come to pass.