• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I was robbed a few weeks ago. My neighbors were robbed as well at the same and again last night. I mentioned this in a thread of mine over on the gaming side. Some folks ITT said I should consider arming myself.

Hell...it even crossed my mind for a moment too. But I won't. I refuse. I'm not going to live like that. Guns terrify me. Plus, here in New Jersey, it's pretty hard to get a gun, especially if the reason is self defense.

Consider investing in an alarm system. More expensive than a gun but a pretty good deterrent especially when you are not home. Renters insurance hopefully should take care of the rest.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
The synagogue the yoga studio. This is the 307th mass shooting of the year.
Right yes there was also the shooting in the yoga studio. That was last Friday...

Functioning democracies have managed to all but eliminate mass shootings, yet they're almost literally a daily occurrence in the United States.

We are broken...so very broken. Apparently the countless lost lives don't mean anything.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I woke up to the CBS special report on my TV and I couldn't help but just shake my head and go, "What a shame" and just got ready for work. It just seems like such a common occurrence now that I'm just numb to it.
Same reaction here. It just happens to often without anything changing.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right yes there was also the shooting in the yoga studio. That was last Friday...

Functioning democracies have managed to all but eliminate mass shootings, yet they're almost literally a daily occurrence in the United States.

We are broken...so very broken. Apparently the countless lost lives don't mean anything.
Don't you understand that all those victims simply should have been good guys with guns? It's so simple!

This message was sponsored by the NRA and your dearly beloved president.

Nick C

Oct 25, 2017
MT
:( It's a damn shame that as a country we've allowed this to become the new normal.

Does anyone know yet what weapon he used? I've seen it mentioned in any of the articles I've read.
Multiple eye-witness reports of a semi-automatic pistol. As off press briefing, sheriff unable to confirm or deny whether another weapon was used.

But all the effectiveness is dampened when you have neighboring states that are super lax with their gun laws that you can just take across state borders. Like Nevada, for example.
Though I am, admittedly, very much a laymen on this matter, I think this is the main issue.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I was robbed a few weeks ago. My neighbors were robbed as well at the same and again last night. I mentioned this in a thread of mine over on the gaming side. Some folks ITT said I should consider arming myself.

Hell...it even crossed my mind for a moment too. But I won't. I refuse. I'm not going to live like that. Guns terrify me. Plus, here in New Jersey, it's pretty hard to get a gun, especially if the reason is self defense.

I have a security system with a good number of cameras that are clearly visible as that alone can discourage thieves and some more discrete ones in case they tamper with the others. Of course this doesn't protect us from armed robbers and it's terrifying living in a country where we hear about mass shootings so often.

Oct 27, 2017
Just another day in the USA. I don't mean to be insensitive but I'm so numb to these stories now, and without widespread reform it's never going to improve.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
It's been 6 years since elementary school kids were massacred in broad daylight and not a single thing has changed.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
To me it feels that Americans have started to accept this is "normal" even on this forum. The latest "trump said this" topic would have about 10 pages by now

I find it hard to believe that there is no huge protest in DC whenever this happens or even uproar in the media. Is life that cheap in America?

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It's frightening how normlalized this has become in the minds of Americans.
When I am over there I get very weary whenever I am in some public space.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible, but I truly feel numb to this now and morbidly accept the fact that it could happen to me.

RIP to the victims. We've failed them.

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be protests going on every single day. I'm so fucking sick of this. Innocent people losing their life to another American terroist and nothing is fucking done. NOTHING.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Mass murder on american soil starts to feel barely newsworthy when the government in power turn a blind eye and empty gestures. RIP.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
To me it feels that Americans have started to accept this is "normal" even on this forum. The latest "trump said this" topic would have about 10 pages by now

I find it hard to believe that there is no huge protest in DC whenever this happens or even uproar in the media. Is life that cheap in America?

No, housing, health care, and food is that expensive and most people would no longer have their already hard to find job if they left to protest every time this happened. People in other countries love to scold us for not doing enough but most people have to literally choose between the most recent gun violence, the children in cages, the President's increasingly fascist behavior, and, you know, keeping their residence which in a lot of cases they rent instead of own because the housing market is a shit show.

But I guess that's all on us, huh? Lazy fucks.

Nov 1, 2017

When we can't even get a lot of Americans to agree that the lives of their black, brown and first nation peeps matter when it comes to violence, which requires only giving up their racism a bit not their toys, I think the answer is pretty obvious by now.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

People are pretty gas-lit at this point with all the insane crap Trump does on a daily basis. I'd like to take a mental break for it for a week after the mid-terms.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was reading that there are people who have survived multiple mass shootings. Apparently there were people at this shooting that were also at the Las Vegas shooting, that is just f'd up.

Do they even bother with "thoughts and prayers" anymore?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It is sad that I have to think about this stuff when I am out. I often think about it when I am in a crowded bar or scene.

Oct 29, 2017
I remember reading a statistic that noted that all the guns in Australia that were purchased as part of the buy back scheme (in addition to implementation of gun laws); would only make up about 2 weeks of US NEW gun purchases.

Just the amount of new gun purchases in America is mind-boggling.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I remember reading a statistic that noted that all the guns in Australia that were purchased as part of the buy back scheme (in addition to implementation of gun laws); would only make up about 2 weeks of US NEW gun purchases.

Just the amount of new gun purchases in America is mind-boggling.

And all these mass shootings is scaring people to buy even more guns.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017

Also, is pointless. I can't find any statistics either way, but my gut feeling is that weapon ownership is ineffective for self-defense and is actually making America less safe, not safer like the NRA and their political cheerleaders and gun nuts want them to believe.

I mean, think about it, when people are robbed/assaulted is usually by surprise, even if they are carrying weapons on themselves, or have them easily accessible, they are just not going to be able to reach them. Criminals have easy access to weapons and ammunition and they will carry it (because they know their victims could be carrying them as well), which involves guns in basically every crime.
Why is the US police so trigger-happy? Because every fucking US citizen out there will be potentially armed with lethal weapons, so they know a shootout is very likely and if it happens they want to be ones that shoot first (because, duh, they don't want to die).

What is happening in the USA with gun ownership is utter madness.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another disheartening tragedy. RIP to all the dead and my condolences to their families.