• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.wxyz.com/news/massive-1...efzEu9WScoudPi78RO-z0Zt6qTzvQqAFKKNJcLWfrql3s

DETROIT (WXYZ) — Juliet is an 18-foot reticulated python that created quite a scare in an east side Detroit neighborhood.

The snake slithered up and onto the shingles of Detroit roof. A crowd quickly gathered and police arrived and watched the spectacle , too.

Juliet's owner, Devin, eventually showed up to save the snake.

He says the python is about 8 years old, 18-feet long and docile. Juliet has been around humans her entire life, he said, and would never intentionally harm anyone.

Her diet consists of thawed rabbits.

Videos and more at the link. Holy hell, I do miss Detroit sometimes.... but this is not one of those times.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation...

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
An 18 foot python is NOT trapped on a ten foot roof. She's just sunning. On the other hand, that doesn't sound like a truly good snake owner.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
One time I was driving down Mack towards downtown near one of the neighborhoods with the highest incidence of drug houses. Sometimes they have exotic animals they use as security. I saw what honest to God looked like a real fucking tiger. Right size, furry, just chilling in the shade. I called animal control and they said, "Oh yeah, he's stuffed. We get calls all the time." Glad to hear this real animal is safe.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
An 18 foot python is NOT trapped on a ten foot roof. She's just sunning. On the other hand, that doesn't sound like a truly good snake owner.
I dunno shit about what makes a good snake owner but he's apparently gone 5 years without it getting out, can't tell you how many lost dog and cat stories I hear from owners that have had an animal for less time.

Though I do question the wisdom of owning such a large animal, whether that goes against the local laws and all that, but I don't know if I'd say he's a bad owner, well, any more than a normal dog or cat owner that loses track of their pet.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of that massive python someone found chilling on their washing machine or something in my state lol

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Glad she's safe. Always end up assuming stories that mention a pet snake escaping are going to wind up with them dead by the end of it.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just mean there are animals that don't have genders, so what's so surprising about the other poster not knowing the particulars of one specific animal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Some animals dont have genders because usually that animal would have both reproductive organ, e.g. snails. Snake have clearly define lines on who hatches the eggs and who creates the sperm

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me they released it in the wild or something

Reading another article it says the snake was released. Most snake catchers here would release into the wild or take them to the local wildlife sanctuary for a check up, where they then decide where to release the snake.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno shit about what makes a good snake owner but he's apparently gone 5 years without it getting out, can't tell you how many lost dog and cat stories I hear from owners that have had an animal for less time.

Though I do question the wisdom of owning such a large animal, whether that goes against the local laws and all that, but I don't know if I'd say he's a bad owner, well, any more than a normal dog or cat owner that loses track of their pet.
Thinking a reptile that has plenty of exposure to humans won't harm humans is bad, not the issue of having the animal escape once in a lifetime.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I didn't know snakes have genders. Huh

giphy.gif

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Wait you can just release something like that ? I thought I read an article about them being considered harmful to the environment in certain locations or something. Might have been an article talking about Florida but still.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
My burmese python I had as a kid loved to climb up high. It was fine when he was a baby, but once he got past 10 feet, he was knocking everything off the shelves and making a huge mess. He would have loved a nice warm sunny roof.