• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7ae21f7a-bce3-11e9-8f25-9b5536624008_image_hires_013223.JPG

A convoy of armed police trucks has been stationed at a sports centre in a mainland Chinese city bordering Hong Kong, adding to speculation online that Beijing could be preparing to intervene directly in the protests roiling the special administrative region.
But a Beijing-based military expert said the movements were part of regular exercises and not cause for concern.
Footage of the trucks rolling into Shenzhen in the southern province of Guangdong began circulating online on Saturday.

On Monday, Communist Party mouthpiece People's Daily and Global Times posted videos of the convoy in the city, saying the police were there to prepare for large-scale drills.

Source

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of digital propaganda that will happen will be immense. The battle for the minds of China and the world may be the first large-scale cyber-war of the 21st century.

The people of China deserve to be represented by a better government than they have. I think many of us do. Westerners need to be prepared to pressure corporations to make what they're about to do painful, because "western democracies" seem ready to shrug and get on with life, unless normal folks make an issue of it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Tangentially, having watched "The Boys", I consider China to be you know who. Consequently, should there be a military incursion, what can HK residents actually, realistically do?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How will the west respond if we get a Tienanmen Square repeat?
Hitting them economically is the only real option. The US is already all the way in on that, so it would have to fall on the EU... and I think we all know they won't do shit. Especially with the current shape their economy is in.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Tangentially, having watched "The Boys", I consider China to be you know who. Consequently, should there be a military incursion, what can HK residents actually, realistically do?
HK can't do shit. They aren't like Taiwan whom see themselves as independent of China.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Hitting them economically is the only real option. The US is already all the way in on that, so it would have to fall on the EU... and I think we all know they won't do shit. Especially with the current shape their economy is in.
The entire world is already on the verge of recession. Nobody will do anything. Heck, even Russia managed to keep going despite ANNEXING foreign territory in plain 21st century and all they got was some Economic sanctions.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
In the last week just on Imgur I've seen gifs of them planting weapons on demonstrators, shooting pepper pellets at peaceful protesters at close range, police dressed as protesters arresting actual protesters and police walking the other way as gangs attacked protesters. It's pretty insane the scope of what's going on over there.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Just so you guys know, a story exactly like this was debunked as fake in the last few days. I'm not saying that this story is also fake, but just that you should be mindful of your sources.

Also, as a person with a huge connection to Hong Kong and a great love for the people who live there, it'd be real nice if this story was false. Real nice.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
How will the west respond if we get a Tienanmen Square repeat?

The West's toolbox isn't any deeper now than in 1989, I think. We likely can't stop the crackdown directly in a Chinese city. Just like we couldn't in the Prague spring or early East German protests or during the old guard coup against Gorbachev in 1991.

But it will probably give the U.S. and Europe an excuse to accelerate what they are doing now: Tr*mp seems committed to his trade war and the Atlantic powers might become sterner about cooperating with Chinese enterprises. (Sorry, Huawei.)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if it is just a normally scheduled drill, it's easy to see the propaganda value in the current political situation

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cant believe that the Hong Kong 97 plot is getting closely real

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This has been debunked multiple times online and on Reddit already. It's literally fake news. The photos shown in a lot of the Twitter images are from the military exercises that are held across the border every year.

The actual exercise that should give people pause, but is hardly receiving coverage, is the water cannon demonstration that was held earlier today. The HKPF has shown that it cares little about using non-lethal (haha) ordinance properly, so it's highly likely that someone will die or receive severe injuries from it.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The people of China deserve to be represented by a better government than they have. I think many of us do.

Funny thing that a lot of Chinese think this about the Americans when they read about mass shootings, police brutality, and white supremacy in the US.

If China had a democratic government they'll still be stuck in low income country status. So the Chinese are understandably very supportive of their government in the mainland. We have a version of a democratic China, it's called India. I don't think you'll find many Chinese lining-up to trade places.

Last edited:

PureLeaf

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"peaceful protests"? lol

These past two months have really shown how easily manipulated and brainwashed the west is. So called 'free media', 'freedom of speech' is all just a facade if the media can be this biased and nonobjective, and the audience believes anything that's reported. Not to mention all the fake news that have gone viral and literally debunked hours later with no follow up from the journalists.

inb4 wumao and commie shill.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
"peaceful protests"? lol

These past two months have really shown how easily manipulated and brainwashed the west is. So called 'free media', 'freedom of speech' is all just a facade if the media can be this biased and nonobjective, and the audience believes anything that's reported. Not to mention all the fake news that have gone viral and literally debunked hours later with no follow up from the journalists.

inb4 wumao and commie shill.

Lol

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
My HK friends are still ready to give their lives. I hope this is all coincidence. Should we blame the UK for handing over the territory to China?

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The West's toolbox isn't any deeper now than in 1989, I think. We likely can't stop the crackdown directly in a Chinese city. Just like we couldn't in the Prague spring or early East German protests or during the old guard coup against Gorbachev in 1991.

But it will probably give the U.S. and Europe an excuse to accelerate what they are doing now: Tr*mp seems committed to his trade war and the Atlantic powers might become sterner about cooperating with Chinese enterprises. (Sorry, Huawei.)
I would say it's worse than 1989, so much manufacturing for the West is done in China, plus they are approaching super power status compared to where they were in 89.

Edit plus the debt they own.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing that a lot of Chinese think this about the Americans when they read about mass shootings, police brutality, and white supremacy in the US.

If China had a democratic government they'll still be stuck in low income country status. So the Chinese are understandably very supportive of their government in the mainland. We have a version of a democratic China, it's called India. I don't think you'll find many Chinese lining-up to trade places.
am I being trolled, this is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. Countries aren't just interchangeable like that lmao