• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they all saw this commercial
Actually there was a fair bit of similarly titled chatter on electronic discussion oriented forums/social media. Amusingly 2017 December when Switch came out, conversations were mostly around "buying the console for your spouse", as marketing was primarily targeted at women.

like little computer stores, but they only sell PS4 and games. Hadn't seen anything like that before, not even in Japan.
You sure they don't carry Switch stuff? IME the small shops usually carried popular items, but didn't bother with 'dead' systems (eg. second half of last decade you could find NDS/PSP/PS3/360 - but mostly nothing else(Wii launched late - and flopped out of the gate) - and from 2010 onwards NDS/PSP mostly vanished too).

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

(I know it's edited but it's still funny)

That gif is such a classic.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm honestly surprised! When I visited Seoul last Summer, it seemed like console gaming was hardly a thing at all. Tons of PC gaming stuff, but hardly any PS4 and Switch stuff at all. I assumed that most people there just didn't care for consoles. Maybe lower price points are all that's needed to give them a better shot there.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How big is PlayStation in Korea?

Hell, how big are consoles in Korea? Never got the impression they were very big.

Core

Oct 30, 2017
Here's hoping something like this happens in Brazil, our 60% tax skyrockets console and PC prices, If you are low middle class is almost impossible to get a console without it being a major investment.

With our taxes, a ps4 pro becomes 662 dollars.

blackthone

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul, South Korea
How big is PlayStation in Korea?

Hell, how big are consoles in Korea? Never got the impression they were very big.
As in 2018, Console market represents 2.8% of entire South Korea video game market. (Compared to 47.3% mobile game market and 34.6% PC game market) So it's very small but to be fair, it's growth rate is very high (42.2% in 2017 and 20% 2018 YOY).

http://www.kocca.kr/cop/bbs/view/B0000146/1837580.do (it's 2018 annual video game market report, written in Korean).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Middle class suffers economic polarization, just like rest of the world.
figured as much :/

then this seems more like a 'flash in the pan' type thing, where the price hit a sweet point after a lot of build up in content

probably not somthing that can be accounted for when a new console launches in SK down the line

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
This is great for Sony but I'll never understand people going nuts over like $100 savings.

You could surely order it online or something.... if its a price drop, couldn't you walk in a day later and just pick one up? Or was it a temporary price drop?

PS4 has been out for years but suddenly you want to stand in a line...?

blackthone

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul, South Korea
This is great for Sony but I'll never understand people going nuts over like $100 savings.

You could surely order it online or something.... if its a price drop, couldn't you walk in a day later and just pick one up? Or was it a temporary price drop?

It's a temporary price drop and online shops were sold out already.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

We are talking about a 33.3% saving here. It's a lot. This is how the market works ( in some cases ).

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
I'll never understand waiting a year or more for a $100 price cut. That's a year of gaming value you missed for $100.

More on topic. PS4 never stops launch window!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

It depends on the country. In Brazil $100 is R$ 370,00 and that's a LOT.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation is a powerhouse brand here in Taiwan. It is simply massive. They do crazy impressive marketing with huge outdoor events that include cosplay and themed sets for demo booths and what have you for just about every major PS title.

My local game shop phased out their Xbox title selection completely to make room for PS/Switch (they still stock a couple Xbox One/X consoles though) so that should tell you something. Consoles here pretty much never go on sale and only incrementally drop in price when the rest of the major regions rollout definite price drops (and PlayStation Taiwan only drops the price after everyone else). So this limited time promotion is a big, big deal right now.

I wanted to grab an Astro Bot PSVR bundle but I just wouldn't be able to get my hands on it. I'd have to brave the massive crowds and lineups at either TGS or one of the larger shops that have enough inventory. I simply do not have the time for it as my 3 year old keeps me plenty busy. lol

You mentioned the Switch, how is it doing over there?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mentioned the Switch, how is it doing over there?

Amazingly well. Especially since this is the first Nintendo console to receive local region support (language/publishing) in quite some time. The Wii U skipped Taiwan entirely and all you could get was the Japanese model which was expensive and didn't have the language support.

There is always someone buying a Switch from my local shop whenever I'm there. I frequent the local shop in my area a lot. They know me well. lol The day I went to buy a Switch, the girl who works there said it had been completely dead with very little traffic. When I was paying for my Switch and she was applying a screen protector, three people came in to each buy a Switch. The next day she said she sold a total of six. It's a tiny shop attached to the main entrance of a department store so that's a pretty big deal.

The marketing for the Switch is getting better here as well, but still not on the same level as what Sony does with the PlayStation. They have Switch demo kiosks in the Taipei Main Station underground shopping mall where the biggest concentration of video game, hobby, and kotaku shops are located.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I went to buy this on the store near my place because my friend asked me to buy PS4 Pro for him.
I went to the store around 10 am (the store opens at 10:30). I stayed in line outside until 1:30 pm, got a confirmation ticket, went to eat and do other stuff, came back around 5pm and was able to buy the PS4 Pro around 8:30 pm..

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I went to buy this on the store near my place because my friend asked me to buy PS4 Pro for him.
I went to the store around 10 am (the store opens at 10:30). I stayed in line outside until 1:30 pm, got a confirmation ticket, went to eat and do other stuff, came back around 5pm and was able to buy the PS4 Pro around 8:30 pm..
Holy.... Does the store only have one register? I can't even imagine how crazy that was.

Also since I'm curious, was there no other store in your near vicinity you could have checked out? I know PC bangs are all over the place but I never saw any console video game shops when I visited Seoul a few years back.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Holy.... Does the store only have one register? I can't even imagine how crazy that was.

Also since I'm curious, was there no other store in your near vicinity you could have checked out? I know PC bangs are all over the place but I never saw any console video game shops when I visited Seoul a few years back.
yeah there was only one register in the store. The shop I went to was the biggest one around (and probably top 3 in the whole country). The quantity was limited so other smaller shops would get lik 5~10 PS4 Pros per store whereas the one I went to got hundreds.
In general console gaming is still quite niche in Korea, at least compared to PC Online/Smartphone games.

Oct 27, 2017
It's from launch. It's a meme.

I figured as much.

Anyway, it has been great to see the change in Korea over the last ten years or so. The game market is now packed pretty much every Saturday and Sunday, and a lot more releases are getting localized. Trails of Cold Steel 3 is actually already out in Korean, and Dragon Quest XI was the first in the series to be localized. Though PC and mobile gaming remains huge, there is clearly a market for consoles in the country.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I can see that especially for hard it was to find a gaming store in Korea while I was there. Only found it at EMart and at iPark by Yongsan mostly

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that especially for hard it was to find a gaming store in Korea while I was there. Only found it at EMart and at iPark by Yongsan mostly

For better or worse, Korea tends to group together stores of the same kind. As an extreme(ly stupid) example, there is one neighborhood in Seoul that is just filled with pharmacies. Another has a bunch of veterinarians, and another is where you go to find jewelry stores. It is basically the opposite idea of how commerce works in the west.

I actually only know of one game store located outside of one of the major markets (and Emart is definitely not where you want to go). The best market these days is the 9th floor of Kukje Electonics Center near Nambu Terminal on subway line 3. Yongsan is still ok, but it has declined significantly since its heyday about a decade ago. It is easy to see why, as the sellers there are in the habit of raising prices on new games due to their "rarity." Kukje sellers always price at retail, and they order enough copies to avoid artificial scarcity.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'll never understand waiting a year or more for a $100 price cut. That's a year of gaming value you missed for $100.

More on topic. PS4 never stops launch window!
You don't miss out on anything. The games and experiences are all still there for you to play. Consoles are, if anything, investments that generally offer a better value proposition over time.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
You don't miss out on anything. The games and experiences are all still there for you to play. Consoles are, if anything, investments that generally offer a better value proposition over time.
You're not understanding me so maybe I'm not saying it correctly. You're not missing out on games. Of course they can be played at any time.

In a year how many hours of play did you miss? What's an hour of play worth to you? Surely you can get far more than $100 of playtime in in one year?

Valuewise it's always worth it to buy day one and use the console for the full generation.