• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I love if we get games like Focus Home is doing. Abit more polished offcourse. But like Plague Tale, Surge, Vampyr Call of Cthulhu

Wouldn't be surprised if Ninja Theory has one ready around the launch of Scarlet.

I have a feeling we see the game from Taheem (Hellblade group) at Xo19. They said at E3 we will see more soon on other projects.
Hellblade came out in august 2017 so thats over 2 years in november and XO is also in london. NT is UK based.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I expected, and it reinforces in my mind the idea that Game Pass will be dominated by GAAS titles with microtransactions models supported by content roadmaps that span months.

When it is something single-player it will be like EA Access having A Way Out, as opposed to games like God of War.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
That's what I expected, and it reinforces in my mind the idea that Game Pass will be dominated by GAAS titles with microtransactions models supported by content roadmaps that span months.

When it is something single-player it will be like EA Access having A Way Out, as opposed to games like God of War.

For one, GAAS is only as good or as bad as it is implemented.

Secondly, in what way does this reinforce any of those notions you have about Game Pass? Have you even looked at what Game Pass offers today? Have you played Hellblade?

What a bizarre take.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017

Funny that you mentioned "as opposed to games like God of War", when Microsoft is coming out with a couple of big open-world-ish single player games like Gears 5 and Fable. Their output is not very frequent, that's fair. But in a couple of weeks they're literally coming out with a big AAA single player campaign coming to Game Pass.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Secondly, in what way does this reinforce any of those notions you have about Game Pass? Have you even looked at what Game Pass offers today? Have you played Hellblade?

What a bizarre take.

For one, why u so defensive?

Secondly, Matt Booty just said pretty much exactly what Alienous posted above... Your post is the most bizarre, tbh.

Oct 25, 2017

There's nothing really supporting that claim.

You can continue expecting that, though. :P

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds very similar to what Netflix does. Focus on a higher volume of B-AA experiences whether they're single-player or GaaS. Basically just have enough new content every few months to keep people subscribed while waiting for the next thing.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
Small story games that dont cost much would be a boon for any games service. A way out and Hellblade are 2 perfect games to have on their service, which they are respectively, that would entice people to join. Any quality game would do it, but AA games would be cheaper and quicker to put out.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
For one, why u so defensive?

Secondly, Matt Booty just said pretty much exactly what Alienous posted above... Your post is the most bizarre, tbh.

I don't own any stock in MS so I have no cause to be defensive, weird that you would think that I am for challenging what is obviously a misinformed poster.

Nothing Booty says remotely hints at what Alienous is suggesting, and how could it, if he's touting Hellblade as a great example of the kind of games they want to produce with Game Pass in mind: well crafted, focused, high production value games with smaller scope than AAA.

Nothing about that example should lead anyone to think of piecemeal games with exploitative and long-winded GaaS business models. That would be the exact opposite of what Booty is talking about.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

What a bizarre take.

I'm not saying GAAS titles are bad, as Ubisoft have showcased. But trying to make sense of the Game Pass business model I've struggled to see how games like God of War could fit into that portfolio, and this reinforces my perception that it doesn't. That void would be filled with economical 'AA' titles, instead of putting huge resources behind games that don't 'live' beyond the month they release in.

I could be wrong but this reinforced that perception for me. I'm not saying it to antagonise, just that I feel like I'm understanding the choices that would make Game Pass viable.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't own any stock in MS so I have no cause to be defensive, weird that you would think that I am for challenging what is obviously a misinformed poster.

Nothing Booty says remotely hints at what Alienous is suggesting, and how could it, if he's touting Hellblade as a great example of the kind of games they want to produce with Game Pass in mind: well crafted, focused, high production value games with smaller scope than AAA.

Nothing about that example should lead anyone to think of piecemeal games with exploitative and long-winded GaaS business models. That would be the exact opposite of what Booty is talking about.

The GAAS bit is common sense, which granted Booty didn't say but he didn't need to.

The comment on the scope of SP games that will dominate GamePass's library is the core of Alienous's point which is exactly what Booty said, in his own words, "don't expect massive 90hr AAA games".... so more A Way Out, than God of War.

That's not misinformed, it's pretty accurate, and the fact that you would jump straight to accusing posters of being misinformed for essentially repeating what Matt Booty said (or using basic common sense) is a pretty bad look, dude---especially when you automatically interpret GAAS as a negative when there is nothing inherently negative about it and neither was there implied by Alienous.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anything to bring back the mid tier games of PS2/XBOX era. Indies have been carrying the burden for a while now, but it's time for true Single A development to return.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm not saying GAAS titles are bad, as Ubisoft have showcased. But trying to make sense of the Game Pass business model I've struggled to see how games like God of War could fit into that portfolio, and this reinforces my perception that it doesn't. That void would be filled with economical 'AA' titles, instead of putting huge resources behind games that don't 'live' beyond the month they release in.

I could be wrong but this reinforced that perception for me. I'm not saying it to antagonise, just that I feel like I'm understanding the choices that would make Game Pass viable.

The Xbox equivalent to God of War would be one of their big AAA tentpole titles that they would heavily promote and use to drive up and retain Game Pass subscriptions, e.g. Gears 5 is coming out soon, it's big AAA game that they are using to advertise Game Pass. They'll do that year-round, but the bigger titles are what will help them really drive the message, that's what the value is in those bigger games.

It's no different than what Netflix or HBO do and have done for years. Neither service is constantly dropping the next Game of Thrones or Stranger Things. It's big shows with smaller budget shows in between like a On My Block (great show, highly recommend it) or a Veep.

Also, mind you, people still like owning their games, even if they have a Game Pass sub. The option to buy games at retail or on their digital storefront doesn't go away, nor will it, because MS just want to give you ways and options to part with your money, not to limit their ability to receive it from you.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

We're twoyears into Gamepass, how many GAAS titles are on there right now?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everything is perfect for GamePass.

Well this is sort of true, my hope is that with a service like gamepass we see games cut the fucking bloat because "value".

I'll take an amazing 5 to 6 hour game over some potentially cool game that adds a bunch of filler/repeat content to pad the playtime to ensure people get their money worth.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You could be wrong, but based on the acquisitions, your theory certainly seems logical, notably about the AA side if things.

Out of the new studios recently purchased, only Playground Games focuses on full tentpole AAA titles. The others, like Undead Labs, Compulsion, InXile, Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory etc, have in recent years been more focused on A-AA titles. Obviously that could change going forward, but I'm not necessarily sure it will, especially given some of these studios are split up now to work on multiple projects simultaneously.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The GAAS bit is common sense, which granted Booty didn't say but he didn't need to.

The comment on the scope of SP games that will dominate GamePass's library is the core of Alienous's point which is exactly what Booty said, in his own words, "don't expect massive 90hr AAA games".... so more A Way Out, than God of War.

That's not misinformed, it's pretty accurate, and the fact that you would jump straight to accusing posters of being misinformed for essentially repeating what Matt Booty said (or using basic common sense) is a pretty bad look, dude---especially when you automatically interpret GAAS as a negative when there is nothing inherently negative about it and neither was there implied by Alienous.

He also uses Hellblade as an example for what they expect from their developers. Games that are well made 10 to 15 hour gameplay experiences.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I've said for years that this is the way things should go.

I would be perfectly fine with tightly plotted 6-7 hr 'AA' or 'AAA' games.

I love games but if you have a job and or other stuff you do finding time to play some of these 20+ hr games is a drag.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019

Perhaps you're having trouble following the issue here?

I took exception with Alienous' beliefs that 1) GaaS games will dominate Game Pass, and 2) they would be poor implementations of that business model. Evidently the first point isn't true now, nor is there any reasonable indication that it will be, which is why I asked him if he uses Game Pass or has played the game Booty referred to as a great example of what they're looking for in terms of content for the platform.

Regarding the second point, my first response outlined exactly what you've just written - GaaS is neither inherently good or bad. Alienous' assumption that Game Pass would be riddled with games with shitty GaaS models, i.e. micro-transactions and expansions packs is something I took exception to also, because, again, that isn't the case now, nor is there any reasonable indication that it will be.

I'll be charitable here and assume some wires crossed while reading our posts because your responses so far suggest you haven't actually read properly.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the hot takes about what Matt Booty actually said are absolutely bonkers. He didn't talk about GaaS or multiplayer or anything like that, he spoke about allowing the new studios to continue making the games they have been, except this time with more resources and budget.

Talk about seeing what you want to see, it's both weird and embarrassing.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the hot takes about what Matt Booty actually said are absolutely bonkers. He didn't talk about GaaS or multiplayer or anything like that, he spoke about allowing the new studios to continue making the games they have been, except this time with more resources and budget.

Talk about seeing what you want to see, it's both weird and embarrassing.
Indeed he said "From the studio's we just acquired dont expect 90 hours AAA games"
So the angle to suddenly most is GaaS to support it and now no AAA games is indeed abit weird.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
You could be wrong, but based on the acquisitions, your theory certainly seems logical, notably about the AA side if things.

Out of the new studios recently purchased, only Playground Games focuses on full tentpole AAA titles. The others, like Undead Labs, Compulsion, InXile, Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory etc, have in recent years been more focused on A-AA titles. Obviously that could change going forward, but I'm not necessarily sure it will, especially given some of these studios are split up now to work on multiple projects simultaneously.

Isn't Undead Labs staffing up specifically looking for developers who have worked on triple A titles in the past? I'm pretty sure Booty has said he sees Undead Labs going on to be a triple A studio too, but I could be wrong.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've said for years that this is the way things should go.

I would be perfectly fine with tightly plotted 6-7 hr 'AA' or 'AAA' games.

I love games but if you have a job and or other stuff you do finding time to play some of these 20+ hr games is a drag.

To that I would say that is why so many value quality over quantity. Mediocre to good games are far more common, whilst exceptional games are rare. When time is a limited commodity/luxury, it's the great to exceptional games you'd ideally want to be spending your already limited time playing. Hopefully Microsoft understands and appreciates this.

I'm not suggesting quality or enjoyment is tied to budget mind you, but obviously AAA titles can offer a different type of experience, especially in terms of audiovisuals, polish and content. Personally I like having a healthy balance of both indie, AA and AAA, which to be fair Microsoft is in a good position to offer.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the diversity of games is whats gonna make game pass. From indie to AAA, From platformer to Flight simulator.
They need that because diversity will bring people to Gamepass. One will join for Halo the other will join for Psychonauts. One will join for Bleeding Edge the other for Ori.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
To that I would say that is why so many value quality over quantity. Mediocre to good games are far more common, whilst exceptional games are rare. When time is a limited commodity/luxury, it's the great to exceptional games you'd ideally want to be spending your already limited time playing. Hopefully Microsoft understands and appreciates this.

I'm not suggesting quality or enjoyment is tied to budget mind you, but obviously AAA titles can offer a different type of experience, especially in terms of audiovisuals, polish and content. Personally I like having a healthy balance of both indie, AA and AAA, which to be fair Microsoft is in a good position to offer.

Hellblade didn't suffer from being a AA title. In fact, it has some of the best audio of this generation. Sometimes a smaller budget/scope encourages experimentation and I'd take the unique use of audio in HB over anything I've encountered in fully funded AAA titles.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
This guy is very smart, and knows a lot about his profession...

-however whenever I hear his name I break out in stitches.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hellblade didn't suffer from being a AA title. In fact, it has some of the best audio of this generation. Sometimes a smaller budget/scope encourages experimentation and I'd take the unique use of audio in HB over anything I've encountered in fully funded AAA titles.
Yeah, Hellblade has Triple A production values with a smaller budget and scope for a more focused, shorter experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like i said the games Focus Home publishes are great imo. Not all offcourse. But the more SP 15 hour experience games.

Nov 23, 2018
He said "From the studio's we just acquired dont expect 90 hours AAA games"
To be fair, doesn't mean Obsidian won't expand The Outer Worlds or create a Skyrim-like games or Ninja Theory's in-production tech to create large game worlds won't produce those kinds of experiences.

Just don't expect every game to be AAA. I like how he worded that answer. :)

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't care much for what I played of Hellblade, but I'd subscribe to an indie-heavy service chock-full of 2D platformers and puzzle games. That's all I found of interest on GamePass anyhow.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I do not now if Gamepass is plaged by GAAS or not like some people do, but I'm sure that gamepass is a service that offer games so basically gamepass is a big GAAS that you have to pay to keep playing.

Oct 25, 2017

I would argue that AA experiences offer, generally, far more "different" experiences than anything in the AAA space. I can't see how anyone would argue otherwise, to be frank.

That doesn't mean that AAA is bad. But it's a far more homogeneous space than the mid-tier/indie space.