• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
""I don't want to get into too much, particularly with our showcase coming up, in terms of what The Initiative is doing. But I'll just say that obviously we spent a lot of time talking with them and reviewing and seeing what's going on. I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there."

www.polygon.com

Xbox Game Studios head Matt Booty on acquiring studios and planning for the future

‘I don’t mean this to be at all sarcastic, but... I don’t know what a Game Pass game is.’

Hmm it might be there still then? Intresting.

Edit: This is not the thread title i made btw. Title was focused on the quote.

Last edited:

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bet my ass The Initiative is gonna be there on the showcase. Leakers have been wrong before.

Matt is right about what a Gamepass game is. We have received a variety of genres and titles that in the end, is like asking what a Netflix film is. The Irishman and Roma are just like every other theatrical experience.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just them talking about the project with a logo or something. Doubt we'll see gameplay given the age of the studio but who knows.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
It just sounds like he is saying that he doesn't want to talk about what they are doing right now because they are focusing on the upcoming showcase instead. I don't have time to read the interview right now so I'm not sure the context.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
What kind of size is The Initiative at right now? I remember the early buzz term of them being a AAAA studio, but later Microsoft video's suggesting they were keeping the team relatively small in numbers. I have no idea what to expect from their eventual reveal in terms of scope.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression that when he said they wouldn't be there it was more of an educated prediction (considering they are very much still a new studio) than a piece of inside information.

No. It is based on reporting. I've been told it won't be a part of this. But if The Initiative is there, it's not in the same way that the other developers are going to be there. It's not a featured game like Halo or Playground's game. So if it does show up (and again, I've been told it won't), it could come in the form of a teaser or a logo or something. But I don't think so.

Edit: I agree that Booty's quote reads like he's saying it'll be there. But it's not the only way to read it. He is likely saying that he doesn't want to get into what The Initiative is working on because he doesn't want to derail expectations for showcase. And then "I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there" sounds like he's saying it'll come later.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
No. It is based on reporting. I've been told it won't be a part of this. But if The Initiative is there, it's not in the same way that the other developers are going to be there. It's not a featured game like Halo or Playground's game. So if it does show up (and again, I've been told it won't), it could come in the form of a teaser or a logo or something. But I don't think so.

Jeff vs Booty

-10 days for the truth

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
What kind of size is The Initiative at right now? I remember the early buzz term of them being a AAAA studio, but later Microsoft video's suggesting they were keeping the team relatively small in numbers. I have no idea what to expect from their eventual reveal in terms of scope.

I've seen posts that suggest the Initiative's first title will involve a lot of outsourcing a couple times now, but I can't verify that.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
All recent communication pointed to The Initiative NOT being part of the July showcase. Unless plans changed at the 11th Hour, I wouldn't expect them to be present.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This could read a couple ways. Booty could just be saying that he doesn't want to take the spotlight away from the Showcase, and the games that will be shown there. I don't take his statement as a big tease or anything.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
45 employees according to LinkedIn. So more AA sized than AAAA.

bigbusiness

Lead Editor @ The Punished Backlog
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
United States
Phil [Spencer] has always been super supportive in terms of how this fits into Xbox. I think it's more a case of, if we felt that there was a developer out there that we thought made sense to become more integrated and part of Xbox Game Studios, that we would be well-supported to go do that. Things happen with an ebb and flow. Right now, we're just very focused on supporting, making sure that we're ready for the launch of the new console later in the year.

And we're also very focused on supporting things that are important to Xbox like Game Pass, and helping support the Project xCloud team and making sure that our team is working on things like Smart Delivery, and making sure that we're getting prepped to get the most out of the new hardware. That's just where our mindset is right now. And that could ebb and flow is (sic) we get, say, nine months to a year out from now.

Emphasis (and "sic") mine. Sounds like another acquisition (or several) isn't entirely off the table heading into next gen?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Edit: I agree that Booty's quote reads like he's saying it'll be there. But it's not the only way to read it. He is likely saying that he doesn't want to get into what The Initiative is working on because he doesn't want to derail expectations for showcase. And then "I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there" sounds like he's saying it'll come later.

Are you talking bout Grubbsnax?

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I dont want a tease from this without gameplay. Its a brand new studio working on a new IP or a revival that probably wont play like the old games so I wont be interested in this until we know how it plays, and a CGI trailer or in-game cutscene wont help.

I want to see this game but not until its ready.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Size of the studio is difficult to say. Even Drew Murray said.

Also Coalition seems in some way 'involved" with them.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
He is likely saying that he doesn't want to get into what The Initiative is working on because he doesn't want to derail expectations for showcase. And then "I think people are going to be pretty excited when we start to talk about what's going on there" sounds like he's saying it'll come later.

I think this is it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're rumored to be using a different development strategy involving heavy outsourcing, so it is possible that they are well into AAAA development with a team of that size.
Let's just keep calling it an "AAA" game then, because that's what it is if it has a high budget. Enough with the "AAAA" nonsense.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Jeff vs Booty

-10 days for the truth

giphy.gif

Jeff is probably on the money

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i think he ment he doesnt wanna talk about the initiative's game and let that steal the thunder from their showcase

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
What I'm gonna do is just not expecting anything and if there is anything at all regarding TI I bet it won't be gameplay. I would love to be wrong though.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that quote can be read either way. Won't know for sure until next week. Regardless it's clear it's not the end of the world if Initiative's game is not shown next week.

So if it comes up, sweet. If not, you'll see it later down the road.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Cool I hope they can just drip feed and tease us for weeks instead of just announcing the damn stuff.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018

All I'm getting from this is that PG's game will be shown in a heavy way hehe.
Here's hoping it's the RPG and not Horizon!