• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
as long as i can play the current gen version when I upgrade, that is fine

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
How is this NOT a good thing? The games will scale just fine and you're not excluding people that can't afford the jump to next gen right away. To think that the new games won't take advantage of the new hardware is just silly.

Because the games have to run on xbone. Which is a pathetically weak console in 2020. That means Series x games are going to be prettier and more stable xbox one games.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, but It still kinda sucks. Not that I don't think games will scale well, but I want to see the full benefits of these new super fast SSDs.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They've got millions of Game Pass subscribers to deliver content to. Can't do exclusives then. I expect the Xbox One to do xCloud by the time they have Series S/X exclusives.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need something exclusive to the Series X console. Even if it's some small indie like Resogun for PS4's launch.

Showcase something.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It will be similar for third party too. Most devs / pubs won't throw away a 150 million install base. It will take a year or two for that to happen to the most demanding AAA, let alone smaller scope games.

Won't this depend on sales since the faster next gen sell the worst the active user base will be on last gen and be less worth the ROI.
First year for certain cross gen but afterwards.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.
What are you talking about?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this isn't anywhere near a traditional console generation launch for Xbox. Their priorities are in Game pass and that's it.

Yep. This is a good thing and consumer friendly. If you can't afford to buy a new box yet and still want to play the new games, just get Gamepass. If you can afford a new box, here's one. The version you play with the new box will be much better than the other one.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.
What the hell is this post.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018

Can I disagree with your entire post?

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I can't imagine it is much of a heavy lift for first party studios to appropriately scale titles across four systems on the same platform, which are based on PC architecture. I'd be surprised if this doesn't end up being the case for Sony as well, for at least the first year.

Oct 26, 2017
Won't this depend on sales since the faster next gen sell the worst the active user base will be on last gen and be less worth the ROI.

If both PS5 and Series X are 500 bucks they will have a slow start compared to PS4 launch in 2013.

Publishers ain't going to make exclusive next-gen games until mid-2021 and i fully expect everything to be next-gen in 2022.

Or unless there is some sort of timed exclusivity where both MS and Sony are paying to have a next-gen exclusive game, see Godfall.

This how things worked for years, no one is leaving behind 150 million users.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I don't see the issue as long as Series X is getting vastly improved enhancements over One X and One S which it most likely will.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
It does make me feel like my Xbox purchase a year or so ago is more worthwhile, which is very nice. PC scales very well so I don't see why consoles couldn't in transitional periods - should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This reads like GP is far more important than new console sales. The two are linked and don't think this is the best way, but lets see how it goes

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They want to sell subs (GamePass etc). That's their main goal.

And it's something I believe that in terms of making alot of money off of, is something that may not work out in the end.

thats old thinking, folks are buying 1100$ phones yearly. Times have changed

Phones are phones, and the phones people buy brand wise don't have issues with their brand. Microsoft still does. Increase in Gamepass users doesn't change that.

This reads like GP is far more important than new console sales. The two are linked and don't think this is the best way, but lets see how it goes

This has been my thinking ever since they made the deal with the enterprise devil to get that big money backing.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about?
Killer Instinct even had a 360 version that looked pretty similar to the Xbox One version but at a lower resolution and few particle effects. Microsoft decided to cancel it.

Similar happened with Crimson Dragon.

So Hellblade 2 will run on Xbox one? That's a surprise.

They managed to get Hellblade running on Switch, I don't think they'll have any problem with the second game on Xbox One.

Edit:

Games that Microsoft used to sell Xbox One but still had a 360 version released:
Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Screamride, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, LocoCycle.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it makes sense from MS perspective. They aren't sure how current GP subscribers will react going forward. They wouldn't want to create a situation where they put everything into next gen but the subs don't move over how they want them to. So, they'll keep current gen as a base for a period (1-2 years) as they see how things play out. Depending on how things go, they may switch over to next gen only sooner or even later.

It is understandable but I just consider what sort of games would be possible from their first party if they went full force behind SeX/Lock only.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This is a good thing and consumer friendly. If you can't afford to buy a new box yet and still want to play the new games, just get Gamepass. If you can afford a new box, here's one. The version you play with the new box will be much better than the other one.
But what is the incentive to get the new box if the game runs just fine on the One X?

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how this effect sales compare to Sony who might go the opposite way .

it really seems that way.The reason Sony wasn't at E3 was that they didn't have anything new to announce/show other than the few last games that are coming to the PS4. They have mentioned that they have every single studio working on games for the PS5.

It will be interesting to see which PS4 games have a PS5 version, and which PS5 games are cross gen (if any).

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this considering I am not planning to get rid of my X and S anytime soon. They'll serve as nice secondary machines and, even more importantly, co-op/vs machines with my fiancé.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wonder if MS Studios' experience with PC made this easier. Like, you can make Gears 5 look like a last gen game and that's one of the best looking games of the gen.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it makes sense from MS perspective. They aren't sure how current GP subscribers will react going forward. They wouldn't want to create a situation where they put everything into next gen but the subs don't move over how they want them to. So, they'll keep current gen as a base for a period (1-2 years) as they see how things play out. Depending on how things go, they may switch over to next gen only sooner or even later.

It is understandable but I just consider what sort of games would be possible from their first party if they went full force behind SeX/Lock only.
It's actually 1 year period when next gen releases. It's a statement including today for the 1-2 year period.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me even happier with my recent SAD purchase. It'll serve as a good Gamepass + Xcloud box alongside the PS5 until late 2022, early 2023m.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not really news, and it's why I didn't plan on buying a PS5 until a year and a half to two after launch anyway. In terms of Microsoft games, it's a moot point since I'll be playing them on PC anyway.

I can understand their thinking but doesn't that mean that their first party games will only look better on the. Series X? The won't be able to take full advantage for things like AI, destructability, level size etc.

Potentially a better frame rate too. If nothing else, I would think being able to actually get a consistent 60fps in most (early) games would be a selling point for those that care.

Last edited:

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

They have been pretty clear about this strategy. If you never buy a MS console again, but subscribe to Gamepass and stream to your mobile, they have got you as a customer. They make no profit on console sales. The console is merely a delivery vehicle. Gamepass is the product.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Yea, of course. It all depends on how fast the majority of users move from current gen to next gen and what the general attach rate for those users that have moved are. Some gens have had slower transitions than others, some faster. So it is kind of hard to predict this.

We may see the first few games released exclusively for next gen having super high attach rate, because users may want to experience those next gen exclusive titles due to hype and marketing for next gen. And then the attach rate may start dropping down significantly as the market of next gen exclusive titles expands. I guess it's kind of a bet, do you want to sell to a higher % of users, but overall a smaller install base, or do you want to sell to a lower % of users, but overall a larger install base. Which poison would you pick? :D

EDIT: Oh, and one thing to take into account in general, is what titles, if any, would first party (MS and Sony) pay for to be kept next gen exclusive. The more money they share to compensate for any opportunity cost, the more incentive there would be to make next gen only titles.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the issue as long as Series X is getting vastly improved enhancements over One X and One S which it most likely will.

If this is what happens, I don't mind. Perhaps different teams makes the ports for Xbone? I do want their games to take advantage of the SSD and the new CPU though, so hopefully their devs are able to do so.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how are they supposed to support cross-play otherwise? not all PC builds are the same and what you're suggesting is them making absurdly high system requirements for their games to keep in step with the new console

That would imply MS games are hold hostage bx the Xbox One specs for years...

That sounds bad. Sony would have an easy pr-win on their hands.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest issue with this is that games will be designed the the standard hard drive in mind, so we'll still get elevators and narrow passageways along with cuts for loading screens, etc.