• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you taking the piss? Then whats the point of having a new console?
The point of the new consoles is the exclusives that end up on them. That's all.

Of course it's nice to have new hardware, but most people get over the spectacle of "pretty graphics" really fast while actually playing the game. Bloodborne is my favorite game ever and the game performs like shit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They kind of did? But did it through features like Phsyx enhanced, and now Ray tracing.
You mean those optional features that you can simply disable if you don't have a card that supports them?

Obviously playing a game on Xbox One will have graphical features disabled compared to Series X. That's fine.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
PC gamers would (for the most part) rightly think that this was a bad thing, and that if those games would run on old cards then they should let people play them on old cards too.

... if those games would run on old cards ...

What if they actually made the games to utilise new CPU/GPU/RAM etc to the fullest extent? They wouldn't run on old systems. What if the gameplay mechanics and the game world needed that extra performance just to be possible.

They can choose how they spend their new resources with next-gen consoles. They're going to spend it on things that can be scaled to be compatible with last-gen systems for a few years. Which means we don't get the type of games that wouldn't be possible on older systems. Then we also have Lockhart to hold us back.

That's the point. It's why we're dissappointed. We're getting much more of the same instead of the new and previously impossible.

I feel like people must know this by now. Are people playing dumb? This is terrible. Not a single next-gen game for 2 years + Lockhart, on top of targetting 4K spells bad news for crazy new gaming feats.

Last edited:

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if answered but what about all the features(besides loading times) the new SSDs would bring to next gen games?Does this mean we have to wait 2 year to fully take advantage of them?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
You mean to tell me that people who haven't owned an Xbox console in their entire lives aren't truly, deeply concerned for the future of Xbox? ;)

Your post is really fitting considering the post below. lol

Well as a console gamer, everyone should be concerned when one of the Console providers does something drastically different.

As a PlayStation gamer, I was concerned when Microsoft followed the idea of paying for Online.

I was concerned when they charged for DLC.
I was conserned when they tried to get rid of used games.

I was concerned because I knew that eventually that could affect me.

Just like, even though I love motion/VR Gaming, I understood why some didn't want it to succeed...because they felt their future gaming might be affected.

Why some were concerned about $599 U.S. Dollars, even if it were the cheapest BluRay Player... gamers were worried that Console manufacturers might get comfortable at high console prices....regardless if said console had other benefits.

In this case, regarding exclusive next gen games, I'd hate if Sony took this approach for the PS6.

Hell I can't even believe we are calling them "Exclusives" as if it's a bad thing. They ARE next gen games...and they should have next gen expectations.

We wait all these years for Next Gen Consoles? All these discussions about power, etc...and then now some are perfectly fine with waiting another two years before you can play a game specifically made for your $500+ TF monster console? Two years?

That shouldn't become the norm down the road imo. Yes there should be cross gen games, but there should also be games that attempt to take FULL advantage of your shiny new next gen system. At least in the Launch Window.

Edit- I see 1 to two years, but what does that mean... one or two titles after one year goes by? Two years before we see many more? The fact that two years was mentioned, instead of them just saying 1 year seems like they don't expect to have alot after one year.

That's a lot of words to justify trolling.

Did you get a PS4 in the first year and if so, what games did you get with it?

I don't expect an honest answer BTW. I'd have a better chance winning the lottery I never play than you having an open minded discussion surrounding anything Xbox. For someone here who will shit on the brand every chance you get, you seem to think it has a lot of pull in the industry all of a sudden.

Oct 31, 2017
Do you think Red Dead Redemption 2 had to be modded to look amazing or that it's design was in any way compromised by nearly decade old hardware?
If RDR2 would have released as a last gen game you would have a point, unfortunately for you it was designed with current gen consoles in mind so that renders your point moot. The example you are looking for is GTAV, a game that was released on PS3/360 and then ported to PC and PS4, and yes there are mods you install on GTAV PC version that completely blow away the standard GTAV port on PC/current gen consoles. What MS is talking of doing is basically porting XB1 games to Series X like Rockstar did with GTAV to PS4/XB1.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
These are going to be on PC too, so no change on needing the console for me. It still means that the Xbox One S must have some support right? I'd hope for more games that will go for pushing the limits besides Halo. Is Hell Blade 2 cross-gen? It would make for interesting comparisions.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
There are developers who have voiced concern about targeting multiple sku's when it comes to development. Someone already linked one of the articles in this thread.

But continue to call us concern trolling.

I'm sure more would like to know they aren't shutting out 50m customers when they release their game.

Let's just agree to disagree. I have confidence in MS based on the last 3 years. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Services, studios, a massive new box of power. The mood music is good.

I'm bored by Sony a bit precisely because they're nailing it. I love a good comeback.

Nov 11, 2017
i was banned last time I said this but screw it. If MS goal is they dont care where you play why not support PS5 and switch? Surely all those mobile and pc user base would offset any lost console players if they supported switch and PS5?
Wtf kind of post is this what does any of this have to do with continuing to support the xbox one. Sounds like it was a deserved ban

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly get why, with the large userbase that the Xbox One has...but not one single next gen exclusive to take advantage of the power of the Xbox Series X?? Not even one? I feel like this isn't the best sign, unless Microsoft hires other studios to make the Xbox One versions, and have the Series X games take as much advantage of the new console as possible, while the Xbox One gets as optimal of an experience as possible.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
i was banned last time I said this but screw it. If MS goal is they dont care where you play why not support PS5 and switch? Surely all those mobile and pc user base would offset any lost console players if they supported switch and PS5?

Xbox ecosystem (Console Xbox,PC,Mobile) via xCloud and store.

Simple is that.

Same for PlayStation (Console,PC,Mobile) via psnow.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they've got 40+ million Xbox One users out there, most of whom aren't going to buy a Series X on day one, just like how most PS4 users aren't buying a PS5 right away, so it makes sense to not ignore that massive install base for the first phase of the console's life cycle.

Also, I'm willing to bet there will, in fact, be exclusives for the Series X in those first two years. We just haven't heard about them yet.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is this a crazy thought though, honestly. If Sony and Nintendo allowed Gamepass would MS just walk away? It would open their games to the world. Places where they don't have an audience.

It would just be another way into their ecosystem is all I am saying. I see MS becoming an all encompassn third party would also offers consoles for special features only available there.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bored by Sony a bit precisely because they're nailing it. I love a good comeback.
I have no horse in this race (I end up getting all the consoles tbh) but I too would love to see a good comeback which is why I've been pretty vocal with the news that's been coming out. I'm getting a bit worried that Microsoft is convoluting their message again...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm sure more would like to know they aren't shutting out 50m customers when they release their game.

Let's just agree to disagree. I have confidence in MS based on the last 3 years. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Services, studios, a massive new box of power. The mood music is good.

I do too, my collection of OG xbox, PC, and 360 games wants to love xbox again. I just think they seriously are going down a path too soon, and going all in on it when they still have yet to prove why I should give a shit for games not Halo, GEARS, FORZA. They need to show games first, let those come to market, have them be great, over the course of a gen, and continue that into the next. All while having optional gamepass that has a tiered release for pc/xbox/xcloud.

They sound like they just want gamepass to take off so they don't have to sell you a console anymore. WHich defeats the purpose of console gaming.

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if answered but what about all the features(besides loading times) the new SSDs would bring to next gen games?Does this mean we have to wait 2 year to fully take advantage of them?

It's mostly just going to be reduced load times. People could structure their games differently if they knew loading was instant but it won't be much of a change.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
What if they actually made the games to utilise new CPU/GPU/RAM etc to the fullest extent? They wouldn't run on old systems. What if the gameplay mechanics and the game world needed that extra performance just to be possible.

They can choose how they spend their new resources with next-gen consoles. They're going to spend it on things that can be scaled to be compatible with last-gen systems for a few years. Which means we don't get the type of games that wouldn't be possible on older systems. Then we have Lockhart to hold us back.

That's the point. It's why we're dissappointed. We're getting much more of the same instead of the new and previously impossible.

How about just close your eyes and pretend the prior gen versions of these games don't exist and then it won't make any difference.

True, but once it's implemented as a staple into an engine it won't be.

I have no idea what you mean. High end PCs have access to loads of graphical effects/features that are not available to mid/low end PCs. It's been this way forever.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I honestly get why, with the large userbase that the Xbox One has...but not one single next gen exclusive to take advantage of the power of the Xbox Series X?? Not even one? I feel like this isn't the best sign, unless Microsoft hires other studios to make the Xbox One versions, and have the Series X games take as much advantage of the new console as possible, while the Xbox One gets as optimal of an experience as possible.

how do you know that no game will bring the full potential of the X series?

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The average gamer doesn't care about prettier graphics and pixel counting. That's a forum user thing.

giphy.gif

I mean, I'm absolutely certain than even the most casual of casual gamers recognize that a next generation, is supposed to bring graphical improvements with it.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You'd be better off looking at the features provided by the major cpu upgrade. That gives potential for features not possible on previous platforms (AI, physics, framerate, particles). SSD could in theory diminish loading times and open up ram by streaming data directly from the SSD.

I think we'll see major advancements next gen in expanded systems like the one in shadow of war or open worlds with cities that live by themselves, but we'll definitly not see that as long as games are releasing cross gen.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
2022 actually since it releases at the very end of this year, which is already like being in 2021, and then the year is completed from there, at the end of 2021 going into early 2022.

Fuck all of that. If you have the gumption to sell a brand new console, make games for your brand new console tailored to its features. I'm not naive enough to not believe that some design choices have to made to accommodate the wholly different setups of the Xbox One and Xbox Series X to give a comparable experience. Any game made for both systems isn't a true next gen experience. And if it is and the last gen version is lesser, why even make it?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
How about just close your eyes and pretend the prior gen versions of these games don't exist and then it won't make any difference.

Yeah, I'd have to close my eyes to enjoy it because I can tell as soon as I load it up, within the first minute of gameplay that it's more of the same from the last generation. I'm already bored to death with these samey games.

Next-gen should knock you off your feet. Drop your jaw. Make you think "no fucking way they could make this".

Not just a higher resolution version of similar games we had last gen. We had that towards the end of last gen anyway!

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

I have no idea what you mean. High end PCs have access to loads of graphical effects/features that are not available to mid/low end PCs. It's been this way forever.

I'm saying it's literally baked into the game, as in you can't turn it off. WHich is basically havoc physics. it's part of the engine itself. New games being made on these new consoles will have that baked into their design.

There is going to be a giant shift coming similar to DX9-DX10. Sure crysis could be played in dx9 and it's fine. But it was meant to be experienced in dx10. Right now it's just optional effects, but when it's baked into the game engine like it's RT audio or RT lighting there is no optional thing in the engine to fall back on for hardware not equipped to run it.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
how do you know that no game will bring the full potential of the X series?
I don't know, but that was my guess, considering games like Rise of the tomb raider and Titanfall looked very similarly to their Xbox One counterparts, minus some resolution and lower graphics. While the XB1 versions looked fine, I would really want to see something take full advantage of the power of the series X at launch, without being constrained or held back by the Xbox One from Microsoft's first party studios.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
They don't care for selling consoles. They want to draw you into their subscription service. The more devices run their games the better. Xbox is just a name for their gaming eco system now.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I do too, my collection of OG xbox, PC, and 360 games wants to love xbox again. I just think they seriously are going down a path too soon, and going all in on it when they still have yet to prove why I should give a shit for games not Halo, GEARS, FORZA. They need to show games first, let those come to market, have them be great, over the course of a gen, and continue that into the next. All while having optional gamepass that has a tiered release for pc/xbox/xcloud.

They sound like they just want gamepass to take off so they don't have to sell you a console anymore. WHich defeats the purpose of console gaming.

And what exactly is wrong with that? I'll take it every day of the week because it means I don't have to own their console every generation to play their games now. They're satisfied that I'm in their ecosystem and I'm satisfied that I don't have to fork out $500 every gen or $60 for every exclusive they release since they'll likely be on Gamepass now. Win/win

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They don't care for selling consoles. They want to draw you into their subscription service. The more devices run their games the better. Xbox is just a name for their gaming eco system now.

My issue is you have to have a brand thats strong to do this. And they have yet to dig them selves out of the corner they have now put themselves into.

And what exactly is wrong with that? I'll take it every day of the week because it means I don't have to own their console every generation to play their games now. They're satisfied that I'm in their ecosystem and I'm satisfied that I don't have to fork out $500 every gen or $60 for every exclusive they release since they'll likely be on Gamepass now.

Well guess we'll see how this shakes out then in how they run their studios to supply gamepass.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
So I'll buy a PS5 at launch. Xbox series X whenever an exclusive comes out in 1-2 years. Works for me. Or I might just wait for year 3 to pick up the Pro version of the Series X.
and if you pay for their games that's all they really care about. having so many different ways to get you to buy their games/services is what they care about.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
To me it feels like what Microsoft is missing with this strategy is that upon release, every AAA PC game can target a superior experience on the best current hardware. Yes they will often run with reduced graphics settings on older hardware, but there are plenty of examples of games that just plain run like s**t on anything but a solid up-to-date rig. Point being, the developers can target a high-spec PC if they would like, and that's their prerogative. It's up to the devs to determine if they can deliver a good experience on older hardware, or to pass on that and basically require a top end rig.

What Microsoft is saying here is that for 1st party they are going to make the requirement that the games run well on X1 hardware. I don't see how that can be viewed as anything but holding back what a release trying to deliver a next-gen experience on XSX can do.

Sure there are games that won't be affected as much, that are purely GPU bound, but given the weakness of jaguar CPU there are a ton of games that are CPU limited in what they can offer-- enemy AI for example-- and can't improve without guaranteed additional CPU horsepower.