• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
How is this NOT a good thing? The games will scale just fine and you're not excluding people that can't afford the jump to next gen right away. To think that the new games won't take advantage of the new hardware is just silly.
Design choices. Many stuff simple can't be made because you need to make your game for a much weaker hardware. I understand why they're doing this, but they should have at least one or two full exclusive games. Imagine having the most powerfull console but none of your new games take full advantage of the new hardware.

Murdock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Lol. Make exclusives an abandon millions. Yall think Sony not gonna do the same? Make all there games ps5 exclusive and leave 100million ps4 users in the dust?

Ain't nothing wrong with a 1080p 30fps game on xbox one or x, and a 4k 60fps version on series X. Just look at them pc games. Console games that also release on pc are so much better then console versions. None of these past gen games gonna have ray tracing or 4k 60 standard

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
I think this is just possible because of the (pc)architecture that is in the current and upcoming consoles.

something like
Xbox one - 1080/30 fps
Xbox one X - 4k/30 fps or sometimes 1080/60fps
Series X - 4k/60 FPS or 4k/30 Wilth Ultra Settings.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I actually don't like this. Having to develop for the lowest common denominator means that features like the SSDs won't be used to its full potential. I mean, yeah, you can do patches and upscale and whatnot, but it won't be the same as developing for the core Xbox Series X from scratch. This sucks, if you ask me. I am open to also getting a Xbox Series X, but if the games don't convince me, I am out.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is just possible because of the (pc)architecture that is in the current and upcoming consoles.

something like
Xbox one - 1080/30 fps
Xbox one X - 4k/30 fps or sometimes 1080/60fps
Series X - 4k/60 FPS or 4k/30 Wilth Ultra Settings.
Xbox One struggles to keep 900p on current gen games sometimes.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Good move. I really like MSs business decisions latetly. Very appreciated after their early X1 Phase.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
People are really overestimating how much this will affect game development. Modern games are so scaleable. Especially considering all of these games will be developed for PC too.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone think of anything they'd consider next gen that PS4 or One did in their first two years? Like, beyond graphics. I don't get what the big deal is. You get the best looking/performing version on the new system. Scale down for the older stuff.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This reads like GP is far more important than new console sales. The two are linked and don't think this is the best way, but lets see how it goes
What is the incentive to buy a new phone if your old phone already does calls, WhatsApp, web browser and photos?

Features, and app support. But these consoles are not phones. ANd people who buy new phones on a year to semi yearly basis are people who upgrade because they want the new Iphone.

Which is from a company with a very strong brand. Xbox is not a strong brand even with Gamepass being a great value to support the brand.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
From a business standpoint it makes total sense. The hardcore will buy the Series X anyway as they'll want the best graphics/performance and the newest features. The more casual consumers, the ones that don't want to make the jump to (or cannot) next gen yet, can choose to keep using their Xbox One (X) for the time being till the next gen Xbox(es) get(s) cheaper. If they want to play the next gen exclusives from third parties without having to pay the full price for the Series X they can go for the cheaper Lockhart version.
This way Microsoft won't alienate and divide their userbase.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Lol this has always been obvious. MS isn't just going to flip a switch and reset their install base, especially not with an expensive next gen console.

Don't see why this is news tbh.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One struggles to keep 900p on current gen games sometimes.
I would not be surprised to see some games go 720p/30fps on base Xbox One (and similarly base PS4 on the Sony side).

We'll also get upgrades like ray traced lighting, faster load times, and all the other stuff you get today from a top end PC vs a mid range PC.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Can I disagree with your entire post?

Haha. Of course. No biggie. I'm just saying that for years, console makers have launched their next-gen consoles with games they say "can only be possible because of the power of this amazing new machine". This is simply not true.

PC gaming shows that most games run on a massively broad range of tech. From mega-PCs to potato mode boxes.

Ryse COULD have been made for the 360, but they launched it on One so it looked better. But it would still have run.

The 1st wave of X-Series and PS5 games will be made in such a way that down-rezzed versions of them COULD exist on XBone and PS4. If one manufacturer is honest about that and actually launches the game as a cross-gen game, I hope the other one does as well.

The days of cliff-edge generation shifts are thankfully over.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.
So, you think that PS3 could run Killzone: Shadow Fall and Driveclub?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I mean, we also had most big games from 2013/2014 being cross gen, which didn't really die out entirely until 2015

I can see why some people might be disappointed, but at the same time what were the best PS4 exclusives that were't also on PS3?

The majority of new non cross gen games at the start of a gen don't tend to be amazing

PS4 had, what, KIllzone, Knack, Infamous? Things didn't really get good until about 2015, which was a few years into the PS4s life

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smart choice. Hardware doesn't mean much to MS anymore. The game is changing

We assume it's changing because Phil said so but we'll see how much any of this matters if PS5 comes out the gate with massive exclusive titles the first couple years.

Drop Dead Ken

Nov 16, 2017
Great news for the people who can't afford to make the switch to next gen just yet. I get why people will be upset too though.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Weird that MS hands Sony such an easy PR-Win.

"Real next-gen exclusive games only on Playstation 5."

Maybe we should wait to see what these games look like on the Series X. People are going to be surprised how the same console architecture, more scalable game engines and ML will make for impressive scaling between gens. If history is any indication, most 3rd party devs make cross gen games year 1 and 2. Destiny, Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2, MGS5, and Rise of the Tomb Raider all were cross gen. Sony typically doesn't release their heavy hitters in year 1 or 2. Frankly I see little negative change for early adopters. In fact I see the opposite as there will be more to play.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
..... aaaaaannnndddddd just like that. Microsoft makes their first critical mistake going into next gen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Features, and app support. But these consoles are not phones. ANd people who buy new phones on a year to semi yearly basis are people who upgrade because they want the new Iphone.

Which is from a company with a very strong brand. Xbox is not a strong brand even with Gamepass being a great value to support the brand.
Xbox isn't a strong brand? What?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Can anyone think of anything they'd consider next gen that PS4 or One did in their first two years? Like, beyond graphics. I don't get what the big deal is. You get the best looking/performing version on the new system. Scale down for the older stuff.

But if you have multiple sku's to develop for it's super muddy, and when you look at the Xbox Sex version and it's not super impressive because it's utilizing all the new processing power and features. It makes a mute point in buying a new console. A lot of people will be fine with their xbox one x/S.

There's a reason Games like Resogun, Shadowfall, Second son were not cross gen.

Xbox isn't a strong brand? What?

Please refute if you want to. But which brand has more marketshare right now? WHich one literally broke instagram/twitter and social media with a stupid shit logo?

Xbox literally unveiled the actual box Last month and it's getting out talked by a fucking logo.

XBox is still trying to be relevant in other territories outside of US/UK. It's World Wide mindshare is pretty shit.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
If both PS5 and Series X are 500 bucks they will have a slow start compared to PS4 launch in 2013.

Publishers ain't going to make exclusive next-gen games until mid-2021 and i fully expect everything to be next-gen in 2022.

Or unless there is some sort of timed exclusivity where both MS and Sony are paying to have a next-gen exclusive game, see Godfall.

This how things worked for years, no one is leaving behind 150 million users.

100% this.

This reads like GP is far more important than new console sales. The two are linked and don't think this is the best way, but lets see how it goes
Of course GP is more important than console sales for Microsoft.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Are they trying to deflate the hype they've built up on purpose? You announce this amazing-sounding tech powerhouse and no first-party games are going to take advantage of it until 2023?

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I hope at least they have one true next gen exclusive just to show off the power of their new console. Granted I understand why they're doing this

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But if you have multiple sku's to develop for it's super muddy, and when you look at the Xbox Sex version and it's not super impressive because it's utilizing all the new processing power and features. It makes a mute point in buying a new console. A lot of people will be fine with their xbox one x/S.

There's a reason Games like Resogun, Shadowfall, Second son were not cross gen.
Resogun came out on PS3 and Vita.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Very smart. I expect third parties will mostly do the same. Abandoning millions upon millions of gamers who don't buy consoles in the first year or two is incredibly stupid.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If this is what happens, I don't mind. Perhaps different teams makes the ports for Xbone? I do want their games to take advantage of the SSD and the new CPU though, so hopefully their devs are able to do so.
they will but xbox games also release on pc so they area already making them for a wide range of cpus and computers that still have hdd

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.
You dont think PS5 will have PS5 only games in the first two years? Okidoki

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
So, you think that PS3 could run Killzone: Shadow Fall and Driveclub?

Haha. I just wrote that. Yes, on both counts. Just much more downrezzed versions. With poorer lighting effects etc.

Playground Games could, if they so chose, developed a 360 version of FH4. They'd just have to strip back a lot of the effects.