• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They do a great job of handling the One X now with textures that only that console uses and output modes for that console.

IT WILL BE FINE.

This is nothing radical FFS
Graphics largely aren't what will be impacted though. Jaguar was shit even when the XBO and PS4 first released. The CPU's in the next gen systems will allow for much more impressive A.I in games, more realistic physics systems, larger and more interactive/destructible environments and so on. But if devs are forced to design games with Jaguar in mind, then devs can't push those aspects anywhere near as much. ShaiKhulud's post here goes into much more detail on this.

When PlayStation devs are taking advantage of that for the first two years of the generation and Xbox devs aren't, it's going to be a rough comparison.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Graphics largely aren't what will be impacted though. Jaguar was shit even when the XBO and PS4 first released. The CPU's in the next gen systems will allow for much more impressive A.I in games, more realistic physics systems, larger and more interactive/destructible environments and so on. ShaiKhulud's post here goes into much more detail on this.

When PlayStation devs are taking advantage of that for the first two years of the generation and Xbox devs aren't, it's going to be a rough comparison.

I wait for that. I wait for games.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
This idea seems very distant from how consoles normally worked in the past. How exactly are they going to signify that newer games are not going to work on older consoles? Are they going to introduce different looking boxes in 2021? What about the third party developers - will they be required to scale games so they work on X and S? If not, how will this be communicated to the buyer?

Maybe they are going to do something similar to PC games where all games are classified as "Xbox" and then you will have to check compatibility on the back of the box or in the description in the digital store. If so, this will be very confusing to a lot of people.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cross posting from the next gen thread, I think this is just the natural result of releasing games for the base platforms they started development on.

MS first party games releasing in 2020, started development in latest 2017 at the latest. Scarlett might not have been finalized back then to have SSD.

Cross-gen games only for launch and up to a year into the lifecycle, is not as scary as the cross-gen games forever timeline rumored early.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we already knew this, its not a big deal and probably not worth 19 pages? Realistically most games in year 1/2 probably started development on XB1 and all their games are on PC, SOT runs on very low settings and MS just want you in their ecosystem, they dont care about where you're in it. 40-50m XB1s still in use as well so... makes sense to use them to make extra $, you'll have a harder time selling Game Pass if you stop releasing new games in it

This idea seems very distant from how consoles normally worked in the past. How exactly are they going to signify that newer games are not going to work on older consoles? Are they going to introduce different looking boxes in 2021? What about the third party developers - will they be required to scale games so they work on X and S? If not, how will this be communicated to the buyer?

Maybe they are going to do something similar to PC games where all games are classified as "Xbox" and then you will have to check compatibility on the back of the box or in the description in the digital store. If so, this will be very confusing to a lot of people.

Im sure they'll say somewhere on the box "not compatible with Xbox One/S/X" when the time is right, which will also be listed on website pages etc, not really hard to get around

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

This is like the opposite of distant. Thats how it was all the time.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I agree, it's too early to tell, and that Godfall looked shit.

I think some of the lack of positivity it just this forum finding balance. A negative thread maybe helps bring balance to the 6000 "isn't gamepass awesome" and "MS are buying studios and really trying this time" threads we've had.

As for cross-gen, and comparing it to PC. When the 360 launched with it's, for it's time, very powerful specs, things like Kameo and PGR looked amazing, with lighting, effects polygon counts unheard of anywhere at the time. They made PS2/Xbox/PC games all look like trash. They were a level apart. There was a long bridge in PGR that had alone more polygons than probably any entire previous driving game up until that point. Thousands of 'orcs' on screen at one point in Kameo, this was when I'd been conditioned never to expect more than maybe 16 or so 3d enemies on screen at once due to polygon limits, even on PC. I think Microsoft did an amazing jobs on the specs, and these titles showed it. If those games were cross developed with the original Xbox, they would not have pushed the same boundaries, they could not have been the same games even.

I'm personally just curious to see that again. Looks like we are getting it with at least some PS5 titles. If MS do the opposite, and their Series X games are still on Xbox One (original) and PC, we will see. Maybe I'm wrong and these days dev tools are good enough and the base level of the Xbox One is high enough that it won't matter. We will see.

Secondly, I have a personal pet theory that single platform focus leads to better games. A while back I made a list of my favorite games of all time and I noticed that just about all of them were single platform, maybe dual platform, or at least initially launched on one platform. I admit this could be a horseshit theory and coincidence, but it plays on my mind. Maybe there is some kernal of truth to just developing for once piece of set hardware leading to more time spent on polish and less distraction?

I totally agree with the 360, but you were jumping from an intel Pentium cpu with nvidia graphics to a custom IBM chip and AMD gpu.

This gen is literally a pc upgrade with a few extra tweaks (hopefully)

From a very shit cpu to hopefully a decent one.

If develops handle it right you will see a pretty significant jump in lod and performance over the previous gen.

It's not the first time I see such akward self-victimizations, blaming 'sony-era', on this board.
This is a forum and you will encounter positivity and criticism in every thread regarding every platform, and that's fine.

It can't be that bad for Xbox users on resetera, when there is a thread about 'Phil being our guy. Every time he opens his mouth, it's good for gamers' thread on the front page, anyway.

You can think what you want and say self victimisation but the page counts and posts literally speak for themselves. You do you and choose what you want to see and believe.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the case why even bother with Lockhart? Let the x1x be lockhart for the next 2 3 years as all games are available everywhere and in 3 years announce xsx pro and and drop the price of xsx to Lockhart in 3 years .but that's just my take on it .

this decision only makes sense if they phase out all Xbox One SKUs once Series X arrives.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the opposite of distant. Thats how it was all the time.
Yeah, maybe I am overthinking it. For some reason, I assumed a single SKU that works differently on different consoles, PC-style. Maybe all they are saying is that new Xbox Series X games will have their equivalents on the Xbox one store. If so, this is indeed nothing new for new consoles, except that it was fairly typical for first-party developers to release one-two show off titles exclusive to new platforms.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what they have said, this is literally impossible.

Also Hellblade 2 is almost definitely 2022+ and actually is being developed to take full advantage of the hardware.
Unsure though I can see how they'd get around this tech issue by taking a BC style approach

Two versions of Halo, one for current and one for next gen. when you buy one you technically own both.

Xbox One version has lower quality geometry, AI and generally less advanced code. Comes on a disc or download.

XSX comes on disc, makes use of the higher quality assets, geometry and is able to render more using the advanced SOC. Also available as a download. If you own the disc for HI, you can download the XSX version and play it as long as that disc is in the system OR if you own the One version digitally.

Both games use the same multiplayer design which shouldn't be as wild as the core game technically anyhow. It'll just look less amazing on One. I can see it happening.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Because Halo Infinite will take the full advantage of Series X.

Like Hellblade 2 and all XGS games.

nope, since it's an Xbox One game it technically can't fully exploit the Series X. The game's whole design had to be made with thelimitations of the One S in mind. It could have been an entirely different game if a 12 TF console with 16 GB RAM was the baseline and not a 1,4 TF one with 4 GB. That we even need to argue about that is crazy enough.

But Matt said Halo Infinite will take full advantage of XSX.

What else was he supposed to say?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Do the games just stay in the xbox one box for the next 12 to 24 months with a sticker saying plays best on series x.....

..then they transition to a new xbox box and those games dont appear on the s or x digital store.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
nope, since it's an Xbox One game it technically can't fully exploit the Series X. The game's whole design had to be made with thelimitations of the One S in mind. It could have been an entirely different game if a 12 TF console with 16 GB RAM was the baseline and not a 1,4 TF one with 4 GB. That we even need to argue about that is crazy enough.

What else was he supposed to say?

So you are convinced that day one ps5 launch exclusives will be using the full power of the ps5?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
So you are convinced that day one ps5 launch exclusives will be using the full power of the ps5?

Given 30 years of consoles showed that devs always need time to learn how to do that: No. But what I'm convinced of is that games like the next Gran Turismo won't be made with the OG PS4 in mind, and the difference will be significant.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The PS5 is using the same architecture as the PS4. That should really help to diminish the usual transitional period of a system launch when devs have to learn how to take full advantage of the hardware. They won't be using everything to its fullest potential right out of the gate obviously, but more than enough to have a big leg up on Xbox first party games (again, in terms of stuff like A.I, physics systems, world destruction and interactivity, etc.)

Both games use the same multiplayer design which shouldn't be as wild as the core game technically anyhow. It'll just look less amazing on One. I can see it happening.
Designing two versions of the game would be such a waste of resources, and would still hold back the Xbox Series X version to an extent by virtue of the games needing to be mechanically identical so that crossplay can work.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You watch everyone kick up a stink when Warzone Infinite turns out to be an XSX exclusive mode lol.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way in hell they're going through the entire gen with no next gen exclusives. Now you guys are being absolutely ridiculous. They're doing it now because the install base on the Xbox One/S/X will be much larger than the XSX. As people gradually upgrade in the next 2-3 years that will change.

Only time will tell, but this IS the first gen change with Game Pass and X Cloud

Maybe they will always fear being "anti-consumer" as mentioned in this thread a lot. Since a lot of their fanbase have already warmed up to the idea.

We all have our opinions, but I'd hate to say I told you so.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Still supporting the original xbone that was underpowered in 2014 is hugely disappointing... and I own one :(

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Given 30 years of consoles showed that devs always need time to learn how to do that: No. But what I'm convinced of is that games like the next Gran Turismo won't be made with the OG PS4 in mind, and the difference will be significant.

So the forza that may launch this year maybe based on an engine that can scale...as they've done it for over 3 games now.

Didnt like 3 forza games come out when one gen turismo came out.

Anyway I'm not going to argue as I just enjoy games, I actually hope theres some game that blows my mind that I genuinely feel it couldnt be done on the ps4 or xbox.

The big issue we have is the ps pro and one x launched this gen that never happened before. I just think anyone who expects a huge leap out the gate when compared to those two systems is going to be massively disappointed. It doesnt matter which platforms approach you feel is better.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest wich xbox one or PS4 launch game couldnt be played on old gen if we take graphics, resolution and framerate out of it?
I don't think TW3 would run because ram was very low last gen. This time the upgrade won't be as big, apparently.
I would generally say open world games because of ram.
Mind: scaling has a limit. The question is how fast we'll reach that limit and how much you have to compromise. Additionally the question is whether games will be built for One family and then get their settings tuned to the max or if it is the opposite direction.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

Third Party devs can do what they want. Matt Booty, who is the head of Xbox Game Studios, is just talking about their first party lineup.

Anyway the reason they are doing this is because xCloud will still be using Xbox Ones in their datacenters until they can roll out the new hardware, which will take a year or so. When the new next gen hardware comes online for their streaming platform they will be able to stream newer games to outdated consoles like the Xbox One.

Therefore I suspect at retail, the box will just say "Xbox". It will have a bullet point on it for Xbox One if it needs to be streamed, It will say something like, requires to be streamed or whatever.

They did something similar with Xbox 360 / Xbox One games. On the box it said something like requires internet for the game to be downloaded on xbox one.

Example https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7y2awa/question_is_there_anymore_360_games_that_are_in/

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think TW3 would run because ram was very low last gen. This time the upgrade won't be as big, apparently.
I would generally say open world games because of ram.
Mind: scaling has a limit. The question is how fast we'll reach that limit and how much you have to compromise. Additionally the question is whether games will be built for One family and then get their settings tuned to the max or if it is the opposite direction.
But TW3 is a 2015 game?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

I'm convinced that day one/year one titles won't use the plataform as late gen titles like always happened.
I'm also convinced that day one /year one next gen only titles will be games that are far ahead of last gen ones like always happened.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
So the forza that may launch this year maybe based on an engine that can scale...as they've done it for over 3 games now.

Didnt like 3 forza games come out when one gen turismo came out.

Anyway I'm not going to argue as I just enjoy games, I actually hope theres some game that blows my mind that I genuinely feel it couldnt be done on the ps4 or xbox.

The big issue we have is the ps pro and one x launched this gen that never happened before. I just think anyone who expects a huge leap out the gate when compared to those two systems is going to be massively disappointed. It doesnt matter which platforms approach you feel is better.

fair enough. Technically, in specific scenes Halo Infinite could look completely different compared to the game on Xbox One. Add native 4K, ultra high res textures, shadows etc. and RT of course et voila, you get something which looks truly "next gen". The bar here is - as you said - set by the Xbox One X however which already does all that already with the exception of RT.

It is my impression that the much faster CPU and the SSD are supposed to enable devs to come up with completely new experiences on next gen consoles, be it in terms of AI or sheer scale, which is an important reason d'etre for a console like Lockhart. Which devs technically can't do if they always have to keep in mind the limitations of baseline SKUs with CPUs which were considered "low end" even 7 years ago.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Lol, you don't think the next Forza will have the Series X in mind? We just went through a whole generation where the PS4 only received one Gran Turismo game. When do we expect the next Gran Tursimo to come out so we can once again compare each game and see which takes the most advantage of each hardware? Sony also had great games like Driveclub which never came out on the PC like Forza Horizon did that made the game 60fps. So I am not convinced at all that Sony will be leading with what is possible when Microsoft also supports the PC.

We also know the PS4 will still be getting new games for at least a year or two as well. So this whole phase in period is going to take place no matter what anyways.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Only time will tell, but this IS the first gen change with Game Pass and X Cloud

Maybe they will always fear being "anti-consumer" as mentioned in this thread a lot. Since a lot of their fanbase have already warmed up to the idea.

We all have our opinions, but I'd hate to say I told you so.

There's nothing anti-consumer about it at that point. They're not cutting people off at the beginning of the next console cycle. It's 2-3 years into it at that point when plenty of people will have upgraded by then. There's no way in hell MS is going through an entire generation without one single XSX exclusive. It isn't happening so you don't have to worry about that I told you so.

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Third Party devs can do what they want. Matt Booty, who is the head of Xbox Game Studios, is just talking about their first party lineup.

Anyway the reason they are doing this is because xCloud will still be using Xbox Ones in their datacenters until they can roll out the new hardware, which will take a year or so. When the new next gen hardware comes online for their streaming platform they will be able to stream newer games to outdated consoles like the Xbox One.

Therefore I suspect at retail, the box will just say "Xbox". It will have a bullet point on it for Xbox One if it needs to be streamed, It will say something like, requires to be streamed or whatever.

They did something similar with Xbox 360 / Xbox One games. On the box it said something like requires internet for the game to be downloaded on xbox one.

Example https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/7y2awa/question_is_there_anymore_360_games_that_are_in/
Yeah, the argumentation about the need to make things compatible with xCloud is pretty compelling. Also - I completely forgot that they made these boxes back then.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't know what to fell about this and the possibility for Sony to not attend E3. It's like E3 this year is like a wedding ceremony and either the bride or groom (here Sony) and thus its whole family won't be there and the family members of the bride/groom who is making a individual wedding won't have his family coming to the wedding (here the next-gen games).
So in sum a wedding ceremony with one person which is the groom or bride only.
Does that sound right?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Thats nothing new. MS did the same thing this gen.

No they didn't.
Even at launch they had exclusives like Forza and Ryse and 3rd party ones like Dead Rising 3. Then Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, D3... Only after launch they had some 360 downports but Titanfall was EA's Tomb Raider was SE's, you basically had Forza Horizon 2 as cross gen first party and not much else.

Aug 26, 2019
One thing that I think is important to mention — even if MS doesn't have XSX exclusives in the first year, they can still show XSX exclusives for 2022+ at E3.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
One thing that I think is important to mention — even if MS doesn't have XSX exclusives in the first year, they can still show XSX exclusives for 2022+ at E3.
Would give people even more reason to wait with the purchase and buy the system at a discounted price in 2022+. No exclusives, no need to buy as I can play all new games on current hardware (unless better graphic required), great exclusives coming in 2+ years. Why should people pay 400-600 (guess) for a new hardware if there is no immediate need?
Not a Good way trying to shift as many systems as possible at the start of a new gen, but as I said earlier, MS seems to be focusing on selling games/ services rather than hardware.

Last edited: