• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No they didn't.
Even at launch they had exclusives like Forza and Ryse and 3rd party ones like Dead Rising 3. Then Killer Instinct, Crimson Dragon, D3... Only after launch they had some 360 downports but Titanfall was EA's Tomb Raider was SE's, you basically had Forza Horizon 2 as cross gen first party and not much else.
I don't see any reason why they won't buy a third party exclusive again. Sony does the same with Godfall.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen a bunch of people say Hellblade 2 will not be a cross gen game. What is the source on this? To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft have said no such thing, despite having ample opportunity to do so, were it true.

I don't see any reason why they won't buy a third party exclusive again. Sony does the same with Godfall.

Feels like it would be more in line with Microsoft's strategy not to buy exclusivity, but to get a few big next gen only third party games on Game Pass.

Also I kinda suspect that Godfall will come to PS4 and other platforms at some point. I think saying it's a PS5/PC only game is a marketing tactic from Gearbox.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen a bunch of people say Hellblade 2 will not be a cross gen game. What is the source on this? To the best of my knowledge, Microsoft have said no such thing, despite having ample opportunity to do so, were it true.
There is no source. But when announced at the Series X reveal (important also) Spencer said "early development"

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
I guess the fact the trailer is sub 30fps on XSX hardware suggests an XB1 release is out of the question.

TacoSavage

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Once Sony drops the info on PS5 and possibly reveals Horizon 2 as a launch title, any buzz surrounding Series X will be easily forgotten as next gen ramps up and every outlet praises the visual fidelity of a game build from ground up for next gen. I have the X, love the console and game pass but once that next console comes out and I drop 600 bucks on it I want to be blown away, RIGHT AWAY, not in 2 years. Also I have a feeling Last of Us 2 will be re-marketed again for the holidays with a next gen update further giving Sony major buzz because just riding on Assassin's Creed and Black Ops 5 that the other console will have as well just aint gonna cut it.

Obviously this is an assumption however I find it hard to believe there will be no PS5 exclusive to show off the power of the console at launch from Sony Worldwide Studios

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to ignore the rest of my comment then If the game is good then that's all that matters, correct?

Then we could just cancel the next gen consoles.

If good games is all that people want we don't need any upgrade in the future. We already have games that are great and even more than that.

But that's exactly why so many scratch their heads at a news like in this thread. They want good games with new tech. Good games with tech they never had before. That's the very reason for a next gen console.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Once Sony drops the info on PS5 and possibly reveals Horizon 2 as a launch title, any buzz surrounding Series X will be easily forgotten as next gen ramps up and every outlet praises the visual fidelity of a game build from ground up for next gen. I have the X, love the console and game pass but once that next console comes out and I drop 600 bucks on it I want to be blown away, RIGHT AWAY, not in 2 years..

Obviously this is an assumption however I find it hard to believe there will be no PS5 exclusive to show off the power of the console at launch from Sony Worldwide Studios
Yet we are now already talking about how Flight Simulator looks like a next gen game. And that comes out on Xbox One also.

TacoSavage

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yet we are now already talking about how Flight Simulator looks like a next gen game. And that comes out on Xbox One also.

I am blown away every single time I power up RDR2 on the X, I can't even imagine what highly capable exclusive studios can pump out with a 12TF machine. We are in for a serious treat with 4k, 60fps and 120hz.

I've been gaming mostly on the X since last Fall as the console is completely quiet and Forza series, Gears on game pass and RDR2 just completely stole my heart but just riding on 3rd parties for the next two years will not get me to double dip and get both consoles. It'll be PS5 at launch and Series X 1-2years down on Black Friday..

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Spencer said "designed to take full advantage of Series X"
No reason really to say anything more. Consoles are still a year away and the game 2 or 3 year. Enough time to talk about everything.
Hellblade 1 s designed to take full advantage of the PS4, PS4 Pro, and high end PCs.

They still released it for Switch.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
They have been clear about not abandoning current gen since they started discussing next gen. If you don't want to buy a new box for the next few years, that's fine. They want Gamepass customers much more than console sales.

X-Series is only for those who want the best console.
Strongest=\= best

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I just mean that people making assumptions that it won't be on Xbox One are making questionable assumptions based on very little.
Well its more then expecting it to be crossgen in what we know.
Booty says year into release. So that makes it end 2021. And Spencer announced the game for the series x reveal and said early in development. So the change of it not being crossgen is in what we know and what they said is bigger then it being crossgen. At the end will see.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The games being design for launch (and up to the first year) of these new game systems have been in development for years and it didn't have next-gen in mind because they ain't even have the specs for them with enough time to design a game from the bottom up to take advantage of the new features. It's all just hacking in new features to take advantage of the hardware. And it seems that that is what people on this forum want. Hack these new features in that make me feel over the launch window -1styr that I'm getting the best bang for my buck even if the game wasn't designed for this system completely. Games just started development in the past year to design games from the ground up...and they won't be out until 2022 at the earliest. And if a game is doing a turn around of 2-2.5 years...it will be a smaller scoped title so it won't feel "next-gen" anyways. Game dev is increasing in time to finish.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, yeah, because the trailer performance is an indicator of the actual performance? What?
Yeah good point.I would just expect any cross gen game from Microsoft to run at 60 fps given the CPU gap which makes Hellblade's surprising but I suppose 24fps could be an artistic decision.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Yes, this sucks balls but it might make no difference if the PS5 is targetting 4K60fps with their games.

They'll have no spare power to do cooler shit than we see now. It's legit going to use all their new power to maintain.

Really, with 4K60fps, next gen is basically postponed till the gen after. We're not going to be getting amazing new games that push things much further than they are now. They'll have no spare power to do it, it's all going into the framerate and resolution.

The only thing the PS5 will be able to do is make use of the SSD in games other than loading...so what .... bigger worlds filled with the same old things? No clue.

Next-gen is just a continuation of this gen with another hardware refresh.

=====

Hellblade was 24fps because it was a video. It's not even a video of gameplay footage.

Last edited:

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
We also know the PS4 will still be getting new games for at least a year or two as well. So this whole phase in period is going to take place no matter what anyways.

We now know MS will not be releasing 1st party games exclusive to the XSX for the first year or two of its life. We've known that Sony is releasing a lot of 1st party games for PS4 this year. They may also release them with PS5 updates in the first year, but we don't know this. We also don't know if Sony will be treating their PS5 games as cross-gen games with PS4 versions, but going by their approach with the PS3-PS4 launch transition, the PS5 launch games will be next-gen exclusives outside of PS4 games we already know about. That is the difference and until Sony announces otherwise, that argument is the same as Sony Too!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

They could, and they will probably do that (to what extent I have no idea) but imo just as an Xbox ecosystem's exclusive and not cutting off last gen systems, otherwise it wouldn't fit with their strategy, it'd make little sense

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They could, and they will probably do that (to what extent I have no idea) but imo just as an Xbox ecosystem's exclusive and not cutting off last gen systems, otherwise it wouldn't fit with their strategy, it'd make little sense
Which strategy? They said they won't do it for their games for a short amount of time but why not let someone else do it like Sony with Godfall?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Jesus, this thread is still going?
How industry changing have launch games even been in the past? This really isn't a big deal lol, or did you want the launch games to only work on an SSD for PC as well?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

if MS decides to buy a major (AA+) 3rd party exclusive that launches within the next 1-2 years then that is going to happen in order to fill a release gap for GP, not in order to push Xbox Series X sales. If that was a part of their plans 1-2 of their own studios would already work on those games, which is exactly what Booty just denied.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I can almost guarantee bans have been passed around from this thread seeing how many pages it has in responses off something any of us should've known would happen based off the past gen to the current one.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People also forget that this gen to next is unlike any other.

PS2/Xbox to 360/PS3 was different architecture.

360/PS3 to PS4/Xbox One was different architecture

This is very much different to what they are about to do and is a much easier transition for developers that doesn't involve them starting over.

PS4/Xbox One to PS5/Xbox Series X.

What's the problem with less hassle in supporting massive userbases while also catering to a new gen for a year or however long they want with varying levels of technical games that don't require brute power. It's not caging developers, it's giving them more consumers and choice. The big trailbalzing hitters turn up when they usually do, exactly as Booty is saying so how we are still discussing this is madness.

If anything launch games on both platforms will probably be the most impressive looking games without issue ever seen instead of turn water effects to max and a slight resolution bump.

I predict both Sony and Microsoft will show a lot off which won't come out in the first year, again lining up with Booty but I don't suppose you will be getting a thread like this about they aren't releasing new games that do magic SSD things day one. You want good games, they will come not just ticking a tech box, the game might be crap in all likelihood as launch games usually are. Games take much longer to make and you think taking advantage of a new CPU, SSD etc. is going to happen overnight. Give them time, a year isn't a lot to ask and is line with what usually happens. I'm just hoping the hardware and games are great like Halo Infinite, if the SSD and CPU mean I don't see draw in, lod issues in massive open world Halo, hell yeah, I'll take that. People forget how big and varied games are, what changes they could make that wouldn't affect an Xbox One version to take advantage of next gen hardware.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting flashbacks to the last xbox disaster: and all the discussions before and after the launch (kinect, always online drm, focus on TV).

They are doing it AGAIN: without new exciting exclusives that REQUIRE xsx it simply will not sell (again).
The good thing is that it doesn't matter for Microsoft, they aren't in the business of selling you a box anymore. As long as you buy games on their windows store, have anything that can buy xbox games from xbox.com, have game pass that you paid for (regular price, not $1 for years of GP), and subscribe to their future Xcloud (if it does well unlike Stadia) everything will be fine. That's what I got from some at least. They may have a point.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
On the basis that now all their games are also on PC, I suppose that games will have to have graphic options and be optimized for less powerful PCs. Therefore, with that in mind, it makes sense if you already make some assets for "Low" on PC use them for One.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo did this with Zelda BotW. MS did this with Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2.

New games do not suffer on the most powerful platform, fact Witcher 3 was labeled as the 'first next gen' moment for many here, yet it can be played on Switch proves design and scope doesn't diminish if your building your game to scale.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Nintendo did this with Zelda BotW. MS did this with Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2.

New games do not suffer on the most powerful platform, fact Witcher 3 was labeled as the 'first next gen' moment for many here, yet it can be played on Switch proves design and scope doesn't diminish if your building your game to scale.

Yes as it's the resulting games that matter and not their availability on other platforms.
Exclusivity to the most latest hardware doesn't improve games in itself.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'm spending what, $600-$700+ Canadian on a new system for what now? When I can play said games on my Xbox One X or the PC? If Sony does the same thing I will also question the idea of purchasing a PS5. They are platform holders, 1 of 3, it's their job, they're supposed to push the hardware to the max. I don't have a single fuck to give to these billion dollar corporations on their cross generation console support.

Holding a game back technically for profit has ZERO benefit for me.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Bad move imo, you need at least one exclusive title to show you a glimpse of what the hardware can really do.
No they just need to have developer teams maximize the capabilities of whatever system they are developing for. Similar to the way Microsoft did Forza Horizon 2 on XB360 and XB1. The idea that because a game is "exclusive" to one platform doesn't mean it will maximize its capabilities.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The good thing is that it doesn't matter for Microsoft, they aren't in the business of selling you a box anymore. As long as you buy games on their windows store, have anything that can buy xbox games from xbox.com, have game pass that you paid for (regular price, not $1 for years of GP), and subscribe to their future Xcloud (if it does well unlike Stadia) everything will be fine. That's what I got from some at least. They may have a point.
Why isn't the box important anymore? They still get 30% of digital sales and extra money for xbox live just because they sell a box. Is gamepass making them so much money that they don't need that anymore?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why isn't the box important anymore? They still get 30% of digital sales and extra money for xbox live just because they sell a box. Is gamepass making them so much money that they don't need that anymore?

The box is important or they wouldn't go to the trouble of marketing how powerful it is, etc. Plus Microsoft makes more money off of console players than PC players at this point.

Only Mario 64, and Halo were the last ones I recall.

Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo did this with Zelda BotW. MS did this with Titanfall, Forza Horizon 2. New games do not suffer on the most powerful platform, fact Witcher 3 was labeled as the 'first next gen' moment for many here, yet it can be played on Switch proves design and scope doesn't diminish if your building your game to scale.

I'm not sure I understand the Witcher 3 comparison since it's a downport of a game for a portable system. Not sure how it's related to a cross gen game.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The box matters...but it's just one of many entrypoints. The ecosystem is what matters...are you in their ecosystem...however way you want to get in there is up to you...but as long as you are in there, they are happy.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Will like to see how they spin this at E3. Leaves it wide open for Playstation to take some easy shots like last time in my opinion.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Breath of the Wild did not "change the industry"...it was a great game yes (one of my favs)...but there was nothing industry changing about it.

(shit, didn't mean to post twice)

Agree to disagree hard here. Not to mention if this is your definition I'm not sure Halo counts since even if we just put FPS on console as the qualifier, Goldeneye on 64 was a big deal even if it wasn't a launch title.