• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
This is a wonderfully pro consumer move. The more platforms you can play a game on and the less exclusivity the better.
There seems to be a lot of concern trolling on here about this statement, but honestly with each new generation the things you can do on the new systems that you couldn't on the previous seems to shrinking. I wouldn't be surprised if it's years before we see a game that truly couldn't have been done on Xbox One/PS4. And honestly with that 100 million install base I wouldn't be surprised if we see some cross platform games from Sony as well.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
what were the great games that made people switch to the PS4? Killzone? Resogun? Knack? there were no exciting exclusives from Sony for the PS4 launch...2014 is often mentioned as one of the baddest years in gaming and yep, that was the year following this gen´s start. 2021 will be the same, the majority will be lots of "old" games in their ultimate new gen version, indies and cross gen titles.
Why are we limiting it to launch anyway. The first year of PS4 had more than Killzone SF (which was impressive on graphics, world, animation, scope. It's the Horizon ZD engine and team after all). A whole year of Xbox Series X with no game designed with it as the base will be a long wait. And that year is the least amount of time, it could be more, a year and 2 months, 6 months? Wait and see.

It will make me wait to upgrade my computer now that I think about it. I doubt Sony PS5 games will make it over, maybe if they are multiplayer focused and Epic buy exclusivity. I need to see what new PC upgrades I need, if they will increase the PC system requirements on things requiring something like a PCIe 4.0 or greater NVME SSD, if PC will be left behind if we don't get a motherboard and CPU that support PCIe 5 (intel is in a pickle, AMD may be ready if that is the case though), this is hypothetical, I doubt PCIe 4 would be minimum specs for SSDs. On the bright side, it gives me a lot of time to save for a monster PC comfortably.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's a good idea, given how game development works these days it would be dumb not doing it. Besides, it's not like next gen is going to be this dramatic change like going from 2D to 3D. It will be the same thing but with more resolution, ray tracing, etc, nothing crazy that couldn't be made on current gen hardware.

Especially with how many small/mid sized studios they own now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand this thread. Why are people in here acting like it's their first experience with console generations?

How many honest to god Xbox One and PS4 exclusives did we have early on in this generation that weren't just pretty games that could have been done on Gen 7 systems? Not many.

It wasn't until early 2015 that next gen only titles started becoming the norm, and the same will happen this gen because it makes no goddamn sense to drop a combined 150 million strong install base like a rock.

There was always going to be a transitional period for this generation while developers get to grips with the new hardware and tools mature. Stop acting like this is controversial. It's not, and it's exactly how new generations have played out throughout history.

Xbox One had Ryse, regarded as one of the best Xbox One games, and Sunset Overdrive in it's first year. People were drooling to get both of those on PC, and they loved it when they showed up much later.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Agree to disagree hard here. Not to mention if this is your definition I'm not sure Halo counts since even if we just put FPS on console as the qualifier, Goldeneye on 64 was a big deal even if it wasn't a launch title.
Halo changed the industry as everything was trying to be a "Halo-killer" and it was the twin stick shooter, with an epic scale story and incredible multiplayer in one package that made it the game that it is. So many games had to have a great single player and great multiplayer as "standard" back then. Funny you mention Goldeneye as that is one of my favorite games all time and I think it was industry defining as well for saying we can do an FPS on a console well...Halo just refined it and made everything better but the impact on the industry was definitely there. Sorta like how the iPhone changed the game even though it wasn't the first smart phone.

Breath of the Wild is just an awesome experience. That's not to knock on it, I love the game (and still collecting korok seeds)...it just hasn't impacted the industry like the other two games did. Mario 64 just changed 3D games in general forever. I can't name one thing that BOTW has done that has impacted the industry...if you can say something that may make me think differently please say so.

I also have no problem agreeing to disagree. :)

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Not a launch game in the slightest, it came out 5 years into the Wii U's lifetime.

Why do people race for gotchas like this? Genuinely did you not know what I meant about it launching on Switch, a system in which it sold more copies on than the Wii U sold consoles worldwide? Like I get we all don't agree on almost anything but I didn't insult your mom, we can just have a conversation here :p.

Halo changed the industry as everything was trying to be a "Halo-killer" and it was the twin stick shooter, with an epic scale story and incredible multiplayer in one package that made it the game that it is. So many games had to have a great single player and great multiplayer as "standard" back then. Funny you mention Goldeneye as that is one of my favorite games all time and I think it was industry defining as well for saying we can do an FPS on a console well...Halo just refined it and made everything better but the impact on the industry was definitely there. Sorta like how the iPhone changed the game even though it wasn't the first smart phone. Breath of the Wild is just an awesome experience. That's not to knock on it, I love the game (and still collecting korok seeds)...it just hasn't impacted the industry like the other two games did. Mario 64 just changed 3D games in general forever. I can't name one thing that BOTW has done that has impacted the industry...if you can say something that may make me think differently please say so. I also have no problem agreeing to disagree. :)

I guess I just don't hold the same reverence for Halo the way you do. It probably doesn't help I've never been super into FPS.

I would argue Breath of the Wild's systems integrate better than almost any other game I've played. Everything is intuitive and makes sense even if it isn't explained to a player. Whether that's warming up by holding a torch or using a metal weapon to open up a shrine by having it struck by lightning, it just makes sense.

I've collected about 500 of those korok seeds without the benefit of a guide and I think I'm about done :p.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So you are convinced that day one ps5 launch exclusives will be using the full power of the ps5?
I think you confuse full power with efficiency. I can get Skyrim to max out my GPU, it's still basic as heck Skyrim though. My CPU will be sleep, well maybe if I get some mod that allow me to spawn all the books, enemies and dragons and have them all fight in a battle royal inside of Riften. Overtime devs get more efficient with their use of the consoles. They learn new tricks that use less resources for the same look and feel. Resogun, a PS4 launch game had to use GPGPU to offload tasks that the CPU would have done to the GPU.

BTW Skyrim is currently a last gen game, and it still brings my computer to it's knees (modded the heck out, but that goes with the point i think), a newer computer that can play the unmodded game and Fallout 4 at the same time. Maybe even more, most likely more actually.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people race for gotchas like this? Genuinely did you not know what I meant about it launching on Switch, a system in which it sold more copies on than the Wii U sold consoles worldwide? Like I get we all don't agree on almost anything but I didn't insult your mom, we can just have a conversation here :p.
Because this conversation is about crossgen games vs next gen only games. Nobody who played BOTW on Switch enjoyed it less because there was a Wii U version.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Because this conversation is about crossgen games vs next gen only games. Nobody who played BOTW on Switch enjoyed it less because there was a Wii U version.

I thought the conversation was more on the tech side rather than the more subjective enjoyment side?

I don't know the differences offhand between the WiiU and Switch as far as power goes but I don't think they are as large as the Xbox One vs the Xbox Series X are going to be.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I just don't hold the same reverence for Halo the way you do. It probably doesn't help I've never been super into FPS.

I would argue Breath of the Wild's systems integrate better than almost any other game I've played. Everything is intuitive and makes sense even if it isn't explained to a player. Whether that's warming up by holding a torch or using a metal weapon to open up a shrine by having it struck by lightning, it just makes sense.

I've collected about 500 of those korok seeds without the benefit of a guide and I think I'm about done :p.
I can't remember how many korok seeds I have (not enough and I too haven't used a guide).

It's not really because I like Halo...but it's just looking at the industry and the impact it has had (that is what I'm commnenting on). I don't see that same type of impact with BOTW. You bring up great points about it being intuitive and stuff but that's not an industry impacting thing otherwise we would have seen everyone trying to replicate it whereas with Halo or Mario 64...everyone was trying to emulate it and make it better. As I said...it's not really a personal feeling (I think Banjo is better than Mario 64) it's more about looking at the industry as a whole. That's really my point.

Either way, good discussion. :)

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If its only a glimpse a cross gen version will do that also.

I don't think they could've pulled KZ: Shadowfall on PS3 for instance, that's what I mean. Show something that cannot be done on previous hardware, a test of things to come if you will.

I think MS would do well to have at least one game that's fully exclusive. They don't have such a large install base on xbox one that they cannot afford to have one exclusive to entice people to make the jump. Just my opinion.

ResoRai

Nov 4, 2017
No they just need to have developer teams maximize the capabilities of whatever system they are developing for. Similar to the way Microsoft did Forza Horizon 2 on XB360 and XB1. The idea that because a game is "exclusive" to one platform doesn't mean it will maximize its capabilities.
When it came out everyone was saying the 360 version of FH2 looked worse than the 360 version of FH1.

All the people saying they'll just stick to what they got rn instead of getting the XSX or even lockhart are gonna be hurting lol.

The x was designed to play xb1 games at 4k. When the xb1 and the x have punch above their weight they're gonna be struggling.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they could've pulled KZ: Shadowfall on PS3 for instance, that's what I mean. Show something that cannot be done on previous hardware, a test of things to come if you will.

let's be honest with ourselves here. Most dedicated early generation games like Ryse or Killzone could still have been made for the old generation.

I mean, they'd look like total shit due to all the downscaling compared to the same game running on the newer console of course. But they'd still run. They'd just look like shit.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty lame that they are still in the survival "Cling to every user" mode rather then pushing forward into more of a growth strategy along with that. It sounds like Xsx was not designed to compete with PS5, but rather to create the appearance of competition. Gameplay, theme and great narrative still will determine the success or failure of the next Xbox, but given that they haven't won that battle in 6 years it's difficult to envision a scenario in which they will win this gen especially when making the sales mountain to success for the next Xbox that much steeper. Personally, if this is true unless their E3 is just insane and Sony's stinks I'll wait two years to see what Xbox is doing before deciding whether I will buy into the platform.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Platform warring
This is pretty lame that they are still in the survival "Cling to every user" mode rather then pushing forward into more of a growth strategy along with that. It sounds like Xsx was not designed to compete with PS5, but rather to create the appearance of competition. Gameplay, theme and great narrative still will determine the success or failure of the next Xbox, but given that they haven't won that battle in 6 years it's difficult to envision a scenario in which they will win this gen especially when making the sales mountain to success for the next Xbox that much steeper. Personally, if this is true unless their E3 is just insane and Sony's stinks I'll wait two years to see what Xbox is doing before deciding whether I will buy into the platform.
They'll never win, but I'll take their diversity of games vs 10 third person action games

Staticneuron

Oct 25, 2017
Because PlayStation games lack diversity now? Lol seriously?

Well, y'know

56752.jpg

On a more serious note. This idea of dedicated console exclusives is born out of something that is no longer applicable in the current environment. So normally when a new console releases we see cross platform ports for the first few years and that is because companies want to continue to make money off of older base while learning the hardware and possibly creating better tools and understanding new hardware better. People also looked down on it because if older hardware and newer hardware were vastly different the LCD would be the focus and the more capable device would suffer as a result. It was a time/money/effort issue.

It seems like the learning curve is going to be less of an issue because of the design ethos behind XSX and PS5. Easier for devs, based on architectures that are not totally foreign. So as things progress, the worry will be less on how to work with new hardware but infact open up the devs ability to be more creative and figure out "how" they can use this hardware to bring thier titles to life in a more unique manner.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
You stated you would be fine with PS ports never coming to PC or being delayed heavily just so it can be truly next gen. It makes no sense when scalability has been a core part of the PC gaming space since forever. Hell look at Red Dead as an accurate showcase of current technology adaptation from even low end scale. To justify delaying ports simply because you think it would benefit the console is silly when that is not the case in current gaming space.
I stated no such thing. Is English your second language? I'm not trying to be an ass, but I'm not sure how else you misinterpreted what I said so badly. I said I'd be ok with any exclusive Playstation ports coming to PC, even if they were released 1-2 years after the console version. You may want to go back and re-read what I said.

Edit: At second glance, I probably could've worded it better, but I clearly said I wanted PS exclusives on PC.

Mar 11, 2019
Its pretty amazing how some people believe that the games wont be held back or at least not that much.

I guess for MS it was the most logical thing to do because:

1: Small install base and prospects that it wont be large enough in the first two years to be able to return the investments.
2: Most of their studios are not true AAA studios, or divided into smaller teams and the required investment for AAA on next gen is not present. On top of the current approach being focused on quantity (new game each 1-2 month) for their gamepass model.
3: I am guessing they figured because the "lockheart" is already close to the current gen specs, might as well include the original Xbox one as well.

But by doing this the dont give much reason for people to get the next gen console, and leaving the install base small means less support from third party developers. I already heard some who have an X, decide to go with PS5 first and possibly upgrade at a latter stage to the SX.

I will not be surprised when most of the newer xbox studios will remain multiplatform. With their focus primary on selling software (on as many devices possible) and subscriptions (on mobile, pc and xbox consoles).

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Great news. My intention was to be there on day one for the Series X. This info gives me more time to collect more MS Rewards to pay for the console.

Flayer

Oct 28, 2017
This move from Xbox feels like they are giving Sony an open goal to aim at but Sony still need to score take advantage. A couple games that feel explicitly next gen only on PlayStation 5 will knock the Xbox back hugely.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This thread has truly delivered some of the finest mental gymnastics I have ever seen in a console related thread. Reminds me of the time when a lot of people defended the blatantly obvious input latency as "weighty" for Killzone 2- I was one of them and in retrospect that was hilariously and shamefully stupid.

It is okay for MS to go ahead with their marketing strategy and see where the chips may fall. After all, this is just one or two years out of presumably 7 year plan. But to sugar coat it by suddenly maligning console generation as "anti-consumer" or characterizing "next gen games are nothing more than prettier versions of current gen" is equal parts pathetically disingenuous and hilarious.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking more about this it's incredibly disappointing. Having all game design and logic held back by Jaguar cores is annoying to say the least. I was previously interested in the Series X because of the sheer power of it... not now.

It would be like XB1 being held back by the 360's memory pool for the first few years.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This thread has truly delivered some of the finest mental gymnastics I have ever seen in a console related thread. Reminds me of the time when a lot of people defended the blatantly obvious input latency as "weighty" for Killzone 2- I was one of them and in retrospect that was hilariously and shamefully stupid.

It is okay for MS to go ahead with their marketing strategy and see where the chips may fall. After all, this is just one or two years out of presumably 7 year plan. But to sugar coat it by suddenly maligning console generation as "anti-consumer" or characterizing "next gen games are nothing more than prettier versions of current gen" is equal parts pathetically disingenuous and hilarious.

'Welcome to Resetera"

giphy.gif

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Thinking more about this it's incredibly disappointing. Having all game design and logic held back by Jaguar cores is annoying to say the least. I was previously interested in the Series X because of the sheer power of it... not now.

It would be like XB1 being held back by the 360's memory pool for the first few years.

You'd think there's a limit to scaling. I mean AAA exclusives on XSX could have to scale from 1.3tflops to......12! So under the hood, such games are going to be seriously held back. Tbh tho, most gamers wont notice, which is a shame too.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
This move from Xbox feels like they are giving Sony an open goal to aim at but Sony still need to score take advantage. A couple games that feel explicitly next gen only on PlayStation 5 will knock the Xbox back hugely.

Depends on if the Sony PS5 exclusives show a huge advantage graphically and performance wise. If Xbox cross gen titles end up looking and playing on par or better than PS5 exclusives oh boy.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So that means that the Hellblade sequel will come out on the XBO as well?, I think it can be done because what was impressive on that reveal to me were the face animations in close ups but we all know that during gameplay the facial animations are minimal and everything else could be downgraded to run on the XBO. Still think it's a terrible idea, Sony will surely have at least one next gen exclusive game that will make eyeballs explode and MS will not.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So that means that the Hellblade sequel will come out on the XBO as well?, I think it can be done because what was impressive on that reveal to me were the face animations in close ups but we all know that during gameplay the facial animations are minimal and everything else could be downgraded to run on the XBO. Still think it's a terrible idea, Sony will surely have at least one next gen exclusive game that will make eyeballs explode and MS will not.
Yet atm we have Flight Simulator making jaws drop. And that is coming to Xbox One also.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Poor devs that have to cope with the small ESRAM (32 MB) of the Xbox One. It will be a nightmare to port more ambitious titles.

If you really want to use the power of the new consoles (way better CPUs, fast SSDs) you have to skip last gen. Otherwise games will be developed for PS4 and Xbox One and on next gen you "only" get better textures, a higher resolution and a higher framerate.

Last edited:

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord people, games coming out in the first year have clearly been in the pipeline for years. Naturally that screams cross gen. Also they have 15 studios and we know of a few games coming out in that year 1 time frame. So may 2-3 games tops from them will be "held back". Also having a team develop a game to specifically hit launch or as close as possible rarely sets the world on fire, its usually eye candy wrapped in previous gen game design. Developers hitting launch might have maybe 1.5 years tops with the hardware to reinvent and push game design in new directions, thats just not feasible imo. With rising cost and balloning dev times some of you are expecting 2024 changes in 2021. Its possible Sony comes out and shows something we have never seen before that isnt just prettier graphics that hits launch or year 1, but i wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

DrScissorsMD

Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Its pretty amazing how some people believe that the games wont be held back or at least not that much.

I guess for MS it was the most logical thing to do because:

1: Small install base and prospects that it wont be large enough in the first two years to be able to return the investments.
2: Most of their studios are not true AAA studios, or divided into smaller teams and the required investment for AAA on next gen is not present. On top of the current approach being focused on quantity (new game each 1-2 month) for their gamepass model.
3: I am guessing they figured because the "lockheart" is already close to the current gen specs, might as well include the original Xbox one as well.

But by doing this the dont give much reason for people to get the next gen console, and leaving the install base small means less support from third party developers. I already heard some who have an X, decide to go with PS5 first and possibly upgrade at a latter stage to the SX.

I will not be surprised when most of the newer xbox studios will remain multiplatform. With their focus primary on selling software (on as many devices possible) and subscriptions (on mobile, pc and xbox consoles).
1. "Small" install base? 45 million Xbox Ones is small? Being outsold >2-1 by the competition doesn't mean Xbox has a small install base, not even accounting for what ever numbers they pick up on PC.
2. Most of their newer studios are new enough that they wouldn't be attempting AAA offerings until after the aforementioned 1-2 years anyway.
3. No one knows the Lockhart specs but even so, the rumoured specs are not even close to current specs. Tflops are rumoured to be slightly above current X1X numbers, and then GPU, CPU, SSD etc are all in line with the SX. Implying that's close to current gen specs is plain wrong.

Xbox studios are not "staying" let alone going Multiplatform. They're making games for Xbox and PC. MS could care less where you play their games, just that you play them, that's what this entire strategy is about. So your point about your friend sticking with his current Xbox is exactly what they want, they don't care if he's buying a PS5. He's staying in their ecosystem. No ones saying there isn't a bottom line when it comes to console sales but one of these days people really need to stop clinging to it as the be-all and end-all. This isn't a zero-sum game, PS "winning" doesn't mean MS "loses".

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Music to my ears, I'll keep my One X and upgrade to the PS5.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Yet atm we have Flight Simulator making jaws drop. And that is coming to Xbox One also.
Horizon Zero Dawn still makes my jaw drop, and I'm a PC gamer. Art is art, even art that's made to look realistic and boring in Gran Turismo's case (awesome, amazing lighting, but nothing exciting and fake realism like Horizon ZD is made to be).

Standard Skyrim on PC (LE not SE)
0B0mE4j.jpg

Modded Skyrim. Same game built around last gen limitations, but modded to make use of extra power. Mods that can't be expected for a developer to do even thanks to crowd sourcing development hours (textures, meshes, things that make the game look totally better).
0CD8HXI.jpg

9YAHniW.png

Even with the best modding community and an insane amount of people making great improvements to the gameplay, Skyrim is Skyrim, and Skyrim breaks at at level 6 (Jerryrigseverything glass is glass reference).

Last edited: