• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting point regarding Godfall (the Gearbox game); it's coming to both PS5 and PC. Given it'll already have some scalability due to being on PC, do you not think they'll also release it on PS4? From what little we've seen of it it doesn't seem to have any crazy game mechanics that would require a new consoles power, it just seems graphically intensive, so do you not think Sony would also want that on PS4 for all the people who won't be jumping straight into next gen?

My theory is that they are pretending it is not coming to PS4 because doing so is effective marketing. People will think the game is extra special because it's not got a PS4 version, so they'll have an inflated sense of desire to play it.

Then they can announce a PS4 version down the line because they'll want to make more money off it, and there are over a hundred million PS4s in the wild.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
Do you think crossgen Xbox games will have identical graphics on Xbox One as they do on Xbox Series X?
I think it will be held back. If XSX is a as big of leap as it looks, cpu alone will smash the xbone cpu. That will effect ai, the amount enimies characters that can be seen on screen. That directly effects game design something that can't be scaled by flipping a switch like graphics. If it's cross gen I don't see how you design a game taking full advantage of the ssd. For me Sony and Microsoft should at least have a game launch day that shows me why i bought the console.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be held back. If XSX is a as big of leap as it looks, cpu alone will smash the xbone cpu. That will effect ai, the amount enimies characters that can be seen on screen. That directly effects game design something that can't be scaled by flipping a switch like graphics. If it's cross gen I don't see how you design a game taking full advantage of the ssd. For me Sony and Microsoft should at least have a game launch day that shows me why i bought the console.
You didn't answer my question.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You didn't answer my question.
They won't be identical no, they will have an added lick of IQ and a couple added next gen effects. In the end it's not gonna be a good showcase for what their next gen system is truly capable of expecially when Sony will have actual next gen games and not just cross gen games.

Mar 11, 2019
1. But it's still not small? That was my whole point. It's only small in comparison to the competition which is pointless from their perspective, they only care about their own numbers profit-wise.
2. Yes, I confirmed that because they won't have AAA offerings til after the timeframe mentioned in the article, it has no realistic baring on the discussion at hand.
3. Tflops are rumored to be 4TF Navi. 1X is 6 GCN. Converted appropriately, they are on par if not Navi having the edge. You also completely ignored the rest of my point that as every other facet of the console will be a huge leap over the last generation, it's not even remotely close to truth to say it's comparable to current gen.
4. You like many others on this forum compare the transition from 360/PS3 to Xbone/PS4 in a vacuum. The combination of the disastrous policies and set top box focus of the Xbone at launch, not to mention being weaker yet more expensive, are well known factors that lead to the loss of mindshare and users from Xbox to PS. It is literally impossible to accurately compare any upcoming generation to the start of the last one as there was so many different factors at play that caused what occurred that very clearly won't happen again for this coming gen.

You're also assuming your friend can only be in one ecosystem. By your very own description, he is choosing to keep an existing Xbox device while purchasing a new PS console. That reads to me like keeping an entry point to the ecosystem he's already a part of. You made a point in your initial post about this strategy meaning people will leave the Xbox ecosystem and therefore they'll lose third party support. But the strategy literally does the opposite, it means they don't need to transition people to keep them in their ecosystem cause they're already in it. There is no addition monetary investment required by existing users of Xbox or PC to be able to access new MS games. Consider that before throwing out troll-bait like "MS studios going multiplatform".
I dont feel like having to explain everything over and over with increasing detail, but here goes one last time.

1: The install base of the next gen consoles needs to be large enough to allow investments for these triple AAA to be recuperated. This also applies for third party developers. In that respect, one of the points I am making, with MS giving less reason to upgrade to the next gen console, will leave it with a smaller install base not allowing for investments of AAA exclusive to that console from MS first party studios
2: Ok we agree
3: Yes many other facets of the console are not comparable to current gen, and of course they are not, otherwise third party developers would not be able to release some games that require higher specs. But having lockheart into the mix with the lower TF, would make it less of a hassle to take the xbox X and xbox one into consideration when developing your game then when you would have had only the series X since with MS approach now developers will have to take the lockheart into account as well.
4: "The combination of the disastrous policies and set top box focus of the Xbone at launch, not to mention being weaker yet more expensive, are well known factors that lead to the loss of mindshare and users from Xbox to PS. It is literally impossible to accurately compare any upcoming generation to the start of the last one as there was so many different factors at play that caused what occurred that very clearly won't happen again for this coming gen. "

What about the games in the current gen, MS really heavily failed on this in the last few years. I think this will weigh also on people deciding on which console to buy. So at least in my book "the mistake" has already occurred. On top of my previous points.

Your last point does not make sense with what I said. I included the line "not looking back", meaning leaving the ecosystem, meaning having the PS5 as main console including third party. Loosing third party support is already a fact, MS can stay and not transition to next gen, but third party developers eventually will and leave last gen unsupported. And when at that time the install base of the next gen consoles is similar (more as 2 to 1), we will see again better third party support on the PS ecosystem compared to Xbox. And this 2 to 1 is being positive, this is without taking into account MS not giving reason to buy their next gen console.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
They won't be identical no, they will have an added lick of IQ and a couple added next gen effects. In the end it's not gonna be a good showcase for what their next gen system is truly capable of expecially when Sony will have actual next gen games and not just cross gen games.
And the previous generation transition, a lot of games could have been done on the prior consoles with reduced IQ and effects and other changes.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
Do you think crossgen Xbox games will have identical graphics on Xbox One as they do on Xbox Series X?
Identical? No, obviously it will look a little better on Series X. As good as a next gen exclusive? No, obviously there's going to be limitations from being tied to the last gen console.

That being said, I think something to keep in mind is that even if games objectively have to be limited to run an older systems, that doesn't mean they can't end up being better games. I have no idea what Sony has planned for the PS5, but personally I think the PS4 launch lineup was pretty meh. Games like Shadow Fall definitely looked amazing, but that doesn't mean it or Knack or any of the other games held up long-term as objectively awesome games. Certainly none received anything like the acclaim of Breath Of The Wild, and that was a Wii U game.

I think it's fair for everyone to admit that there are some limitations that come with being tied to older systems, while at the same time that does not mean that you can't end up with an amazing game that could be held up as one of the best of the generation.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually just had a thought on this whole situation. Microsoft is busy rolling out xCloud this year and if I am remember correctly, xCloud is running on servers based on Xbox One hardware. Right? Maybe Microsoft is keeping games down scaled to Xbox One for a couple years so they can keep xCloud viable until it rolls out the XSX version of xCloud.

Am I just talking out of my butt?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like it or not, Microsoft doesn't value Xbox the hardware as much as they do Xbox the brand and more importantly Xbox the service. They've literally taken this approach to, Office, and have also called Windows a "service" multiple times. It's their bread and butter now because it's been working for them. Hell, it's working for Game Pass since they've been on record about how successful it is multiple times. Everything they've been doing recently has been in service of gamepass. Since services like these have to rely on as wide of a user base as possible it makes sense to have it available on as many devices as possible. You know what sucks? Fragmentation. Imagine if on Netflix you can only access certain titles on certain devices. That's stupid. Imagine if that happened with Gamepass. So many people would be both confused and alienated that they'd have to shell out hundred of dollars just to play a game, it would potentially turn customers off the brand. You can use it through Xcloud potentially but again game streaming is still a barrier to entry. Just having Halo 6 available on the Xbox One as well as the Series is easier if you want the game included on Gamepass. At this point, Microsoft treats Xbox like how Apple treats the Apple TV, vehicles for the content that will actually drive growth and potentially profit. Now that's not a bad thing, their engineers put a huge amount of effort and they've been very proud of their designs since the One S. But at the end of the day Microsoft's goal is bigger than just selling consoles.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this approach. It's driven their best decisions since the early 360. Besides they're not stupid. They've touted the Series X's powerful multiple times and they'll make it obvious to buyers.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
I actually just had a thought on this whole situation. Microsoft is busy rolling out xCloud this year and if I am remember correctly, xCloud is running on servers based on Xbox One hardware. Right? Maybe Microsoft is keeping games down scaled to Xbox One for a couple years so they can keep xCloud viable until it rolls out the XSX version of xCloud.

Am I just talking out of my butt?
It is pretty much what I'm also thinking too. Lockhart is also that reason too. Xbox Series X on every server just not very ecofriendly.

Dec 31, 2017
Nothing for launch, just zero? I know the games are coming (heard that line before) but damn. For me it means I'm not buying Xsx 1-2 years from now.
What do you mean, zero? We already know they have Halo Infinite, arguably MS' best launch game possible, and they'll for sure have more games to be announced closer to launch, and they already confirmed several games in development for next gen.

What are Sony's confirmed launch games for PS5?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Like it or not, Microsoft doesn't value Xbox the hardware as much as they do Xbox the brand and more importantly Xbox the service. They've literally taken this approach to, Office, and have also called Windows a "service" multiple times. It's their bread and butter now because it's been working for them. Hell, it's working for Game Pass since they've been on record about how successful it is multiple times. Everything they've been doing recently has been in service of gamepass. Since services like these have to rely on as wide of a user base as possible it makes sense to have it available on as many devices as possible. You know what sucks? Fragmentation. Imagine if on Netflix you can only access certain titles on certain devices. That's stupid. Imagine if that happened with Gamepass. So many people would be both confused and alienated that they'd have to shell out hundred of dollars just to play a game, it would potentially turn customers off the brand. You can use it through Xcloud potentially but again game streaming is still a barrier to entry. Just having Halo 6 available on the Xbox One as well as the Series is easier if you want the game included on Gamepass. At this point, Microsoft treats Xbox like how Apple treats the Apple TV, vehicles for the content that will actually drive growth and potentially profit. Now that's not a bad thing, their engineers put a huge amount of effort and they've been very proud of their designs since the One S. But at the end of the day Microsoft's goal is bigger than just selling consoles.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this approach. It's driven their best decisions since the early 360. Besides they're not stupid. They've touted the Series X's powerful multiple times and they'll make it obvious to buyers.

Finally some sense in this thread. Good post.

The amount of 'concern' in this thread that Microsoft will allow their self published games to release looking like marginal upgrades of their previous gen console is shocking from people who:

a) understand how developer tooling has improved to allow multiple versions of the same game to have different visual output...

b) have seen PC games utilise these tools to produce the variety of graphical quality for different specs they do today.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Identical? No, obviously it will look a little better on Series X. As good as a next gen exclusive? No, obviously there's going to be limitations from being tied to the last gen console.

That being said, I think something to keep in mind is that even if games objectively have to be limited to run an older systems, that doesn't mean they can't end up being better games. I have no idea what Sony has planned for the PS5, but personally I think the PS4 launch lineup was pretty meh. Games like Shadow Fall definitely looked amazing, but that doesn't mean it or Knack or any of the other games held up long-term as objectively awesome games. Certainly none received anything like the acclaim of Breath Of The Wild, and that was a Wii U game.

I think it's fair for everyone to admit that there are some limitations that come with being tied to older systems, while at the same time that does not mean that you can't end up with an amazing game that could be held up as one of the best of the generation.
Even when they made Knack and Shadowfall what hardware were they making it on in the beginning when games take at least 2 years to make?

I think we will also see a huge difference on Halo Infinite, not a little better, and my guess is there will be some sort of compromise on the Xbox One. I always thought maybe Microsoft would utilize the cloud to get games to run on Xbox One when the new system arrived.

I can also guess to what Sony will have planned. Chances are they will have at least 2 games ready but it won't be something big like Horizon 2. Sony will showcase something like that and other titles but they won't get released right away. That's why Sony are marketing genuises, they know how to tease the audience and keep them waiting.

Can anyone name one 1st party Sony game they launched with that showed off the system and amazed us for any generation? Those games not only take time on new hardware but they are also large investments. To sell to maybe 10 million potential buyers during the first year is a hard sell on just new hardware. That's likely why Halo Infinite was always planned to be cross gen.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
If you design an open world game with huge cities and thousands of NPC's and huge draw distances with countless buildings you can enter and you can fly through this city at a very high speed with no pop-in at all, you can scale down all you want, it won't run on Jaguar and a HDD.
I think some folk need to lower their expectations a bit about the scale of the titles they think will be seen at the start of the next generation.

You can have all the huge cities and thousands of NPCS you want but the bottom line is that those cities and NPCS have to be costed out, designed, built and coded for by regular human beings.

The transition to the bells and whistles that the new generation will be fully capable of doing is not going to be an overnight thing.

Dec 31, 2017
Understandable response based on your post history, a lack of common sense from a blinded fanboy.

Not sure if I understand your point, but your saying that the 30 million kinect 360 buyers are not traditional gamers. And these 30 million kinect buyers going into next gen did not buy a Xbox one nor a PS4. Leaving the 60m x360 owners who mostly stayed with xbox with the Xbox one.

I am pretty sure this is not the case at all. Even if it is, then it would mean that Xbox one was not able to attract new costumers for their next gen console. In addition, I am pretty sure MS decided to stop reporting sales numbers around the time when the console was starting to significantly track behind the 360 in their respective years. Plus you can argue that the actual numbers for xbox (and ps) are lower due to double buyers of the console with the mid-gen upgrade xbox X.

But I agree that it is likely that a large portion (60-80%) of gamers will remain in their current ecosystem going into next gen. With I am guessing 20-40% potential "switchers" to either console based on the offering.
Of course, you expect people to be stupid enough to believe you "analysis" to make sense, like we are supposed to believe that nextgen MS systems will fail and that MS will go multi platform. Yes, of course, that makes total sense!!

XSX will Offer AAA next gen gaming experiences, there is nothing pointing otherwise for the time being except for your backseat gamer analysis. There will be nothing more next gen about PS5 than games on XSX or PC. If that's what you want to believe fine, but you are basing your opinion out of thin air as you have nothing to prove anything you are saying, and engine scalability in 2020 tells a completely different story!

Dec 31, 2017
If you design an open world game with huge cities and thousands of NPC's and huge draw distances with countless buildings you can enter and you can fly through this city at a very high speed with no pop-in at all, you can scale down all you want, it won't run on Jaguar and a HDD.
Of course you can, reduce view distance and lod. Wonder how they got a game like Fortnite to run and look that good on PC in 4K, yet run so well on my daughter's 5 year old cellphone...
Almost anything can scale down. Also, you are not getting any of whatever it is you are dreaming of, and early gen games in development won't really use all the potential of next gen as its too early.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Literally no reason an X1 can't run an SX game, it'll just look worse. This makes sense and is a big sign of how easy the move across will be, and player pools will be very healthy, franchises won't suffer from being on a small amount of machines.

This is fine. I see why people say it's a bad idea, and it is an statement to make but wait for it to play out. I think it'll be completely fine.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
What do you mean, zero? We already know they have Halo Infinite, arguably MS' best launch game possible, and they'll for sure have more games to be announced closer to launch, and they already confirmed several games in development for next gen.

What are Sony's confirmed launch games for PS5?
I'm Not speaking on Sony because they haven't commented. When Developing crossgen there will be compromises. Too much new tech in xsx hardware that last gen simply cant do. And if its just graphic upgrades then my X1X will hold me over until for the next 2 years when Microsoft starts releasing exclusive next gen titles.

Last edited:

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
Of course you can, reduce view distance and lod. Wonder how they got a game like Fortnite to run and look that good on PC in 4K, yet run so well on my daughter's 5 year old cellphone...
Almost anything can scale down. Also, you are not getting any of whatever it is you are dreaming of, and early gen games in development won't really use all the potential of next gen as its too early.
It doesn't work like that, some can scale others you can't. If I'm designing gta 6 on Xsx with an ssd you better believe I don't want to be concerned about a console with jaguar CPU with a standard 5400 HD. Tech doesn't work at its best with one foot in past and one foot in the future.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.

what a bunch of ignorant bullshit.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm Not speaking on Sony because they haven't commented. I'm ignoring what Microsoft is saying for now because it's pr talk. What I know is that for a console launch, launch tiltes have a huge 1st day attachment rate. Ppl buy more launch games and full price when buying a new console probably than any at other time in that consoles life span. If Microsoft had a game that was ready it would be out for that launch. I don't think they have anything close to being ready, so they punted. I don't see it as a strategy, it's just the current state of Microsoft. 1-2 years we'll start seeing output from the studios microsoft bought. Me with a x1x will be hard to convince to buy a Xsx with no launch titles at launch.
You are crazy to think MS will have no 1st party games at launch. Don't know where you are getting any of that.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Sony's best games usually happen some time into a generation, when their teams have learned to use the hardware, where as their launch games tend to be remembered less fondly. If the choice is between a typical Sony launch title or say delaying The Last of Us 2 or Ghost of Tsushima and launching on both PS4 and 5, going by their track record, would you really go with the former?

Stook

Oct 30, 2017

Xsx will look better but not as good as it could. Resolution, texture resolution, audio, amount of physic objects, shader complexity can be scaled to some amount. they won't make it look super amazing on xsx and have it look crappy on x1. It will fall some where in the middle. Games will look good on x1 ( how the look now) on the xsx you'll get stable 4K a+ Image fidelity. It's like making a next gen game on a last gen engine your just not going to be able to take full advantage of new hardware. It won't take advantage of ssd cpu and that big fat bandwidth channel, legacy hardware will hold that back.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I think some folk need to lower their expectations a bit about the scale of the titles they think will be seen at the start of the next generation.

You can have all the huge cities and thousands of NPCS you want but the bottom line is that those cities and NPCS have to be costed out, designed, built and coded for by regular human beings.

The transition to the bells and whistles that the new generation will be fully capable of doing is not going to be an overnight thing.

And all the first party developers that would work on large scale games aren't releasing games for 1-2 years

InXile is winding down on wasteland... last release this year
Obsidian is just winding up on a project... last release last year
Initiative is unknown. There's things happening here that are confusing to most outside observers.
343 is doing cross gen Halo, as it was announced for Xbox One first
Coalition is just starting their next project... last release last year
Ninja Theory / Hellblade 2 is entering full development but it's not close
Compulsion is probably early in their next games development... though it's been 2 years since their last release
Playground RPG is entering full development and likely is still a year or so off

Like... we are fairly certain the next games coming down the pipe will be Forza and Forza Horizon. You could make a case for Horizon but they're already doing amazing stuff on current hardware.

It just seems to me the reason why there's going to be cross gen games is because most of the big budget releases aren't there yet.

We are expected to see initiative and playground RPG games announced (not releasing) this year. Compulsion and Coalition next year. Obsidian next year or year after. The rest are gonna be fairly random. Undead might be going AAA but we aren't sure about that but that would shift their project further back.

MS apparently has a few worldwide publishing games coming out but as to when they're coming is anyones guess... same with scope. We don't know.

So again. Looks like the main reason for this is simply because of what's coming out (Halo, Forza games, possibly worldwide publishing) which is more narrow in scope so they could work on Xbox One with graphical limitations. Convenience of portfolio timing more than anything.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
I dont feel like having to explain everything over and over with increasing detail, but here goes one last time.

1: The install base of the next gen consoles needs to be large enough to allow investments for these triple AAA to be recuperated. This also applies for third party developers. In that respect, one of the points I am making, with MS giving less reason to upgrade to the next gen console, will leave it with a smaller install base not allowing for investments of AAA exclusive to that console from MS first party studios
2: Ok we agree
3: Yes many other facets of the console are not comparable to current gen, and of course they are not, otherwise third party developers would not be able to release some games that require higher specs. But having lockheart into the mix with the lower TF, would make it less of a hassle to take the xbox X and xbox one into consideration when developing your game then when you would have had only the series X since with MS approach now developers will have to take the lockheart into account as well.
4: "The combination of the disastrous policies and set top box focus of the Xbone at launch, not to mention being weaker yet more expensive, are well known factors that lead to the loss of mindshare and users from Xbox to PS. It is literally impossible to accurately compare any upcoming generation to the start of the last one as there was so many different factors at play that caused what occurred that very clearly won't happen again for this coming gen. "

What about the games in the current gen, MS really heavily failed on this in the last few years. I think this will weigh also on people deciding on which console to buy. So at least in my book "the mistake" has already occurred. On top of my previous points.

Your last point does not make sense with what I said. I included the line "not looking back", meaning leaving the ecosystem, meaning having the PS5 as main console including third party. Loosing third party support is already a fact, MS can stay and not transition to next gen, but third party developers eventually will and leave last gen unsupported. And when at that time the install base of the next gen consoles is similar (more as 2 to 1), we will see again better third party support on the PS ecosystem compared to Xbox. And this 2 to 1 is being positive, this is without taking into account MS not giving reason to buy their next gen console.
You wouldn't have to explain if your points made any sense and weren't hyperbolic fanboy nonsense like the other guy who replied to you suggested.

1. See end.
2. Yes we agree this point was irrelevant.
3. And? How does this in any way justify your over the top claim that Lockhart is on-par with current gen?
4. You're bring up MS's current gen 1st party failings why? You think, despite MS being able to sell 45-50mil consoles this gen even with such a terrible 1st party output, that with their now tripled stable of 1st party studios to fix this problem that they will somehow sell less consoles ???

"Losing third party support is already a fact"? How do you figure this? They've had all the same third party releases that PS has had (excluding the JP games they were never going to get anyway), they've had just as many marketing deals with third party. They've arguably had even more success with third party than PS has had due to their deals with third party appearing on Gamepass. Witcher 3/GTA5 are two pretty recent examples. You're also making a ridiculous assumption that Xbox would "stay" in current gen when third parties move on to all next gen or that they can only support current gen and not next gen simultaneously? The fact you're so certain PS is going to outsell MS to an even greater degree while choosing to completely ignore how much more competitive MS have already shown to be reveals your PS bias well enough so I'm done responding to you.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The next year or two like starting now? So after only 1 year after launch we'll start getting Series X console exclusive games?

Oct 28, 2019
Why? PlayStation won't be developing any games that can;t be run on PS4, at least for a few years.

If they launch PS5 with "PS5 exclusive games" and say they can only be powered by PS5, they are lying to you.

launch games are exclusives to FORCE you to buy the box. Not because the old box can't run the game.
Don't listen to that other guy, what you're saying makes sense, and follows the history of the HD console launches.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Of course you can't. You will have a broken game that continuously freezes and have huge buildings pop-in right in front of you. Or you would have to slow down player movement, which will probably affect the way the gameplay has been designed.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
They are already making their games scalable for PC, it would be stupid not to use that effort and make their games available to tens of millions of other potential customers if possible.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Of course you can't. You will have a broken game that continuously freezes and have huge buildings pop-in right in front of you. Or you would have to slow down player movement, which will probably affect the way the gameplay has been designed.
Speaking of broken game trying to run them under recommended spec.

Star Citizen with a HDD (the game requires a SSD). Warning painful to watch.

Path of Exile with a HDD vs SSD (I think they quietly made this game require a SSD).

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
So, when I'd originally read this article, this wasn't really the standout quote. Because Booty actually says they will be focussing on one or two titles to showcase the hardware, which to me meant XSX exclusives.

Sony don't have a gamepass, and if they did, they'd be doing this gen transition the exact same way.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Calling it a name similar to the last console release no doubt people are going to expect this as well. Anecdotal evidential and all but few I spoke to were like "but I own the 1X and im just going to use that for a number of years", one just assumed it was just another version of 1X which I quickly corrected him on. Of course now I think about it he was very much correct (maybe he was an insider lol).

Sony and MS are going their own path now, Sony's way is tried and tested, a hard cut, it's the PS5 not PS4, expect majority if not all first party to take advantage of that. It has served them well for 25 years why change it? MS is going for a large player pool from day day 1 across pc and XB1 audience, very interested in how that plays out.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So it came to my attention that Rise of the Tomb Raider has a 360 port launch day one alongside the X1 version, and yet as far as I can tell, no one batted an eyelid at the time.

They also 360 ports for FH2 and Titanfall launch day one as well, What MS is doing is no different to back then.

Quite honestly I think some of you people are acting like spoiled brats.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
So it came to my attention that Rise of the Tomb Raider has a 360 port launch day one alongside the X1 version, and yet as far as I can tell, no one batted an eyelid at the time.

They also 360 ports for FH2 and Titanfall launch day one as well, What MS is doing is no different to back then.

They still had Ryse. Dead Rising 3. 360 exclusives.

We know of third party cross gen games. That happens every gen.

But saying they won't have any series x exclusives for 1-2 years is what ppl are reacting to.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

It's unprecedented for a next gen console to launch without any first party exclusive titles (as in exclusive to that machine). It's a different strategy, a different approach. Of course people are going to react!

Sometimes cross gen titles work well (Titanfall and Tomb Raider are both very impressive) sometimes they don't (Shadow of Mordor was a disaster). But EVERY first party title being cross gen for a year or more raises some valid questions. What hardware configuration is being targeted? Are the last gen versions "ports" being handled by external studios? Are their going to be any differences outside of the cosmetic between versions?

Like come on. It's okay if you think it will all work out for the best and is a natural extension of the direction Microsoft was already heading in. Maybe the scalability of modern games means it's not going to make any real difference. But for consoles it's uncharted territory, so it's normal for people to have different reactions.