• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
News broke over the new year and seems to have flown under our radar. It's Matt Kap of Castle in the Darkness fame. Trailer:

The first of multiple new games from his new development studio, LABS. Blog post here: https://labsworks.tumblr.com

And the LABS site, teasing the new games here: http://www.mattkap.net/labs/

Also I'm going to have to plug his last game, Castle in the Darkness as it's an absolute gem and one of the best platformers I've ever played.

Check it out here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262960/Castle_In_The_Darkness/

Love this guy's work so I'll follow anything he does. Thought it would be cool to have a dedicated thread. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Ghost_Messiah

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this thread bombed. Not much interest it seems? In retrospect I probably should have noted Castle in the Darkness in the thread's title, to jog everyone's memory, since I know there's a mass of fans of that game on here. It's one of the best indie platformers ever IMO, so I'm excited to see what this guy does next, and thought Era would be too.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fun fact, the Dragon-Half artist did the main characters
33c09cd36a0aa5ae075277fe3fe04e161465040135_full.png

DSo9dKeWsAQTXM4.jpg

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I always meant to try Castle in the Darkness but I never ended up picking it up, maybe should get on that at some point. Astalon looks pretty interesting though and I really dig the design.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Castle in the Darkness was a masochist gem. This one looks even better, and the character designs are wonderful. Will purchase.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new game by Castle in the Darkness dev? Count me in.

quincognito

Oct 25, 2017
I always meant to try Castle in the Darkness but I never ended up picking it up, maybe should get on that at some point.

It's phenomenal. Made #3 in my GOTY list, IIRC. Gorgeous pixel art, great chiptune soundtrack, really fascinating interconnected world that isn't quite a Metroidvania, all with some really tough (but largely fair) platforming sections and a ton of cool boss fights. I highly recommend it to everyone, it's too bad Matt sucks at marketing (and at bugfixing) so it kind of languished unloved and unpatched.

I'd buy them on Switch. I've given up buying games for PC.

who cares

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
Consider it bought. Castle in the Darkness is one of the best Metroidvanias for PC.

OP
OP
Ghost_Messiah

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the warm wishes and positive comments everyone! Just reminds me that Era is a kind and lovely place, and I'm glad I posted this and that you're all hyped for his next game.

I loved Castle in the Darkness so I'm excited for this too, and best of all it's the first of multiple projects which Matt thinks he can release in a rapid timeframe via this new studio. Looks like Castle in the Darkness sold well enough to fund and support all this. Last time I checked it was thought of as a sleeper hit and has cult status, deservedly so, so I'm excited for this and his future games.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
just discovered the game today, loved castle in the darkness back then, checked the page of the dev to see if they were doing something new, and here it is!

they will release on every platforms, here's a new trailer :

sorry for the necrobump, don't know if it's worth a new thread

OP
OP
Ghost_Messiah

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Game was just playable at PAX and they released the second trailer for the game (posted above). And also:

So exciting news coming soon (release date?) and the game finally has a Steam page so must be coming soon. Wishlisted this in a heart beat.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The demo at pax was awesome. I loved the three playable characters and the way their capabilities changed player progression. It has good movement feel. It's definitely challenging. I'm looking forward to this a lot.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Oh, i missed this thread completely at the time it was posted and wasn't aware of this game. Castle in the Darkness is absolutely marvelous and this looks great af. Matt Kap just rules.

What a great news, thanks for the bump.