• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
It not selling well during a holiday has more to do with it's upcoming library of titles and the horizon of next gen then it does with people not wanting consoles with physical discs
I think you're misreading that. SAD refers to the Xbox One S All Digital version, which moved units (according to that, I don't actually know, but Zhuge would).

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
yes, Sony too........most sony exclusives will not come to another platform.

It's a lot easier to bite the bullet and make changes when you are in last place like microsoft was this generation. But when you sell gangbusters of consoles and software like Nintendo and Sony...........they won't be so keen to make changes or move their stuff to other platforms as quickly.
Well... Sony I think is less attached to their own console. We've seen them let Kojima put DS on PC and No Mans Sky on other consoles even tho in both cases they were invested pretty heavily.
I think in 10 years they will still have a console, but I also think buying the console itself will be optional. You'll be able to buy their games and stream them to your phone or pc on release day. (Maybe even play them natively on PC??? But as streaming improves, the advantages of playing locally will disappear)

Sep 15, 2019
I'll believe it when I see it from Nintendo. I don't see their mobile efforts as being true blue Nintendo products either as they are wholly separate experiences which take advantage of market trends unlike their Nintendo hardware releases which are completely unique to the platform it releases on.

Microsoft will definitely be the first one looking to bring their content anywhere and everywhere with Sony begrudgingly following suit while also playing catch up.

Nintendo feels like they can keep on doing their own thing with their own hardware and get away with it.

Course I'm still waiting for a natural solution to touch only devices lacking standard controls a device like the Switch has natively built into it. I'm not looking to bring along an extra controller with me and do that weird phone setup I've seen with Stadia and XCloud, especially after the variety of ways I can play with the Switch which doesn't require me to tout along a clunky controller.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are missing the point. I think he means more so stream any where. Like that's all ready happening anyways so I 100% see it happening with Nintendo obviously being the last to do it. Hardware will still be a think but the streaming will be more important.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
But hardware is what locks people into an "ecosystem". You can't sell a PC's internet connection as a subscription fee like all console makers are doing.

No - but you could for example extend the value of content bought in an ecosystem - keeping you in by out-competing rivals as a service provider - like Steam.

Eg:
- Shit ton of ecosystem defining features not found on any other gaming service, that users find valuable
- Flexibility on tools, hardware, OS, and even emulating games incompatible on different OS (hello Proton)
- Actual reliable game perpetuity
- Streaming games you own from you're own machine to mobile, or TVs via and app
- Valve soon supplying their own Cloud Gaming service as part of purchasing via Steam AND providing third party solutions within it's own ecosystem
- Potentially supporting multiple subscription based services / "collections" of revolving games from other vendors, via it's own infrastructure and being supportive of other "ecosystems" in that process
- Potentially making a dedicated handheld system for lower end games for folks wanting local portable play on the go rather than "the cloud".
- Creating a VR ecosystem on the same level as Steam itself - hardware and vendor agnostic

Steam has been doing this for years, often ahead of other services.
With mobile, digital, and cloud gaming, your just seeing the point where it is so blindingly obvious that money is in the ecosystem game and these platforms are going to bite.

Think of it this way - JohnPSX guy who never buys Xbox, suddenly has a super cheap entry point to play "exclusive" content that might interest them. They dig in, start to see other ways they can pick and choose how and where they play. The whole feral team wanking over platforms is going to get more and more niche, as the cost of entry drops and people just play what they want

Oct 31, 2017
Because I believe first party exclusives are vital to any platform in gaming. First party games generally have the creativity of indie games, backed by the budget of AAA development. But with the complete death of exclusives, there's no incentive to take creative risks to sell platforms anymore.
Yep. I'm sure expanding your potential audience from, say, 100 million users to 300 millions is bound to spell doom on your sales.
That's why big budget multiplatform games never make their money back.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo sint just a content company but makes money off their hardware as well - i think the MS Kool Aid got to Matt and he think that its the right direction for every player in the market. There are plenty of reason why it works for MS and why they are going that route....looking at the current Nintendo i dont know why they would wanna go that route.

That mobile audience isnt buying 60 USD full price games and i doubt Nintendo would want to pay other plattform holder when they have their own plattform established.

There will be a big move in that Direction at some point....but its not gonna happen anytime soon and not because of what MS is doing right now with their content.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the "Netflix will destroy traditional television" argument. It didn't happen there, it won't happen here. Stadia's launch proves two things:
1. There is nothing inevitable about an all-streaming future.
2. Core gamers are the audience to double-down on, not an elusive casual market that expects everything digital to also be free.

Platforms matter. Content matters. Exclusivity matters.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Yep. I'm sure expanding your potential audience from, say, 100 million users to 300 millions is bound to spell doom on your sales.
That's why big budget multiplatform games never make their money back.

Let me reiterate, I'm not against multi-device platforms (God, it's like nobody on ERA reads). I'm fine with expanding the ways to get people into your ecosystem through streaming services and such. I'm simply against the death of platform exclusives.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see Nintendo jumping onto this (outside of what they are doing now with mobile) until they are quite literally forced to by the market. On that note, I have a feeling most devs sorta want Nintendo to not latch onto this idea of an ecosystem rather then a platform. They can somewhat avoid direct competition with Nintendo as long as they are stuck in their walled garden of a platform; if Nintendo is unleashed onto an ecosystem, they would have to compete with Nintendo's 8ish big franchises in a more direct fashion.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
User banned (1 day): platform wars
This is what ive been trying to tell the sony fanboys who have to have their precious exclusives only on the PlayStation, that shit is a death swntence long term for sony if they do that. They need to build their current platform yes but also while becoming a giant publisher with no exclusives at all in the future. Hardware will eventually become a niche and unnecessary for most people, it will take a while of course years and years but is the reality of technology.

At minimum ps now needs to be expanded and moved to more platforms and their exclusives need to support the pc because its a huge chance thats where the niche of hardware owners will go, im not saying out god of war of xbox or switch but they have to diversify and build partnerships now.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Also I think the next Gen may be the last one for physical games.

Especially with Xbox Lockhart, if it's succesful and mainstream accept it, it will be a big incentive to drop physical after next Gen.
That would absolutely break my heart but even I need to admit I'm mostly digital on my Xbox cause installing the discs is such a pain in the ass and takes forever anyway so might as well just buy digital

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
So the PS5 selling 100 million units won't mean anything?

Piscatella is nothing if not a people pleaser.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is a company that can't be brought down with competition because they always create new markets and trends in gaming. They create their own space. That's their strong point. I don't see them ever copying the competition. They will create new markets no one has ever thought about.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is nothing new and it's being taken out of context. Like always.

At least for Sony, they already outlined their plans for next gen and it involves disc, streaming, and downloads. No, that doesn't mean first party games will be on PC and every platform.

Consoles are still important. It's about PSNow being on more devices.

D7DvKbAXYAEKXLw.jpg

D7DvUxCWwAAQdL0.jpg

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
This is nothing new and it's being taken out of context. Like always.

At least for Sony, they already outlined their plans for next gen and it involves disc, streaming, and downloads. No, that doesn't mean first party games will be on PC.

Consoles are still important. It's about PSNow being on more devices.

D7DvKbAXYAEKXLw.jpg

D7DvUxCWwAAQdL0.jpg

Exactly what I've been saying. Expanding the ways to access the PlayStation platform is the ideal scenario. But straight up becoming a third party publisher that happens to sell a console is simply not happening.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's kind of happening already...

I'm playing Xbox games on my phone right now.

Same shit.
Well yeah, that's why it shouldn't surprise anyone on this gaming enthusiast forum. Being able to play your console games on other devices through streaming has been a thing for pretty much all the gen. They aren't the main focus of the platform holders though, which is what Matt is talking about. They are support services and system features for now and likely will be for next gen too.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much makes buying multiple platforms pointless, I'm already wondering what the point even is getting an Xbox these days when you can just play all the games elsewhere. So, wouldn't people spend less money as a result? And why would they want people spending less? More money spent means more revenue.
Where to even start, oh boy. Console gamers will continue to buy consoles, MS also get that PC gamer buying their games, why restrict a user base to hardware? Open them up, include cross save, cross play, larger user base means games have a larger chance of succeeding, more sales from DLC, in-game transactions etc. It's the complete opposite of what you said, much greater opportunities for making more money.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Matt does know that xCloud and PSNow are both part of the greater platform, right?
They run off the hardware.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
You are basically being asked to buy multiple TVs to watch multiple TV channels.
It's just that the gaming industry for years somehow fooled its customer base into thinking that's perfectly reasonable and not wasteful at all.

Ah straw-man arguments. No, the argument is more akin to TV networks offering exclusive shows to their ecosystem. When you offer a platform, you need to get people to use it by creating exclusive content for it. That's part of the reason Netflix became so successful. It not only offered a great service, but it had exclusive originals that made people want to use that service.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EH, maybe because fundamentally it is?
You are basically being asked to buy multiple TVs to watch multiple TV channels.
It's just that the gaming industry for years somehow fooled its customer base into thinking that's perfectly reasonable and not wasteful at all.
Doesn't make sense as an analogy when consoles already use TVs, and you don't need multiple TVs for multiple consoles.

Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't make sense as an analogy when consoles already use TVs, and you don't need multiple TVs for multiple consoles.
It makes perfectly sense, you are just misunderstanding how analogies work and assuming the two things should overlap 100%.

Ah straw-man arguments.
You don't know what a straw man argument is.
And Neflix selling subscriptions would be the equivalent of Sony/Nintendo/MS/whoever else selling their software. It has nothing to do with forcing on you their own hardware, which if anything Netflix moved so far away from as possible, trying to be on any fucking possible device on Earth.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where to even start, oh boy. Console gamers will continue to buy consoles, MS also get that PC gamer buying their games, why restrict a user base to hardware? Open them up, include cross save, cross play, larger user base means games have a larger chance of succeeding, more sales from DLC, in-game transactions etc. It's the complete opposite of what you said, much greater opportunities for making more money.

The devil's advocate argument here is things may eventually get to a point where not enough consoles are sold (especially if hardware is sold at a loss per unit for a year or more until component prices drop) to offset the R&D and manufacturing costs of putting out consoles.

That's still no reason for MS to stop putting games on Consoles/PCs and Xcloud on a variety of devices though. They just have to figure out what makes them the most money and whether having their own console becomes not worth it at some point after next generation.

Sony isn't going that path since they're selling 100 million+ consoles a generation (PS3 was a slight blip due to a bad launch and sluggish start to last generation). I still think we'll see PS Now on more devices to open up revenue streams, but we won't see games for sale and download on PC or some ports to Switch like we've seen from MS with Cuphead and Ori etc. They just don't have the need when they're selling so many consoles. Nintendo is the same with how well the Switch is selling (and how well the Wii and DS did). If they ever have a couple Wii U type sales disasters in a row we could see a change.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
And Neflix selling subscriptions would be the equivalent of Sony/Nintendo/MS/whoever else selling their software. It has nothing to do with forcing on you their own hardware, which if anything Netflix moved so far away from as possible, trying to be on any fucking possible device on Earth.

Think of it this way. If you want to Watch Stranger Things, or Bojack Horsseman, then you have to subscribe to Netflix, because you won't find those shows on competing services. The same is true for gaming platforms. If you want to play God of War, or Horizon, then you'll need to buy into a PlayStation product like a console or PS Now. Platforms need exclusive content to survive. It's the most effective way to make people take notice of your ecosystem and why you should care about it.

Oct 31, 2017
Think of it this way. If you want to Watch Stranger Things, or Bojack Horsseman, then you have to subscribe to Netflix, because you won't find those shows on competing services.
And in the analogue scenario if you'll want to play, say, Bloodborne, you'll have to buy your copy of the software. Or pay for whatever Sony's equivalent of Gamepass will be.
That's the similarity.

The "gatekeeping" and forced selling of redundant hardware, which is basically the same exact device with minor tweaks to introduce arbitrary incompatibilities, is completely unnecessary for this hypothetical business model to work.
I'm not really sure why platform loyalists are always outraged at the idea.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I dunno. I think the whole "platforms and hardware won't matter in the FUUUUTURE!" thing will definitely benefit some players (Microsoft, mainly, who are pushing hard for it), but won't help others (Nintendo is going to struggle without their own hardware).

Is Matt right? Yeah, probably, but let's call it what it is -- a power play. An attempt by Microsoft and new players like Google and Amazon to take over the field at the expense of the entrenched Japanese console makers. It doesn't *have* to happen. The platform-less, streaming future we're being sold on has benefits for players, but also plenty of drawbacks.

Last edited:

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless Nintendo is gonna release their games on other platforms, I'm gonna have to disagree Matt.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Man people dictate what sticks and what doesn't. Even from our very own, (I love you guys no disrespect if u read this) you really don't know what future trends will stick and what will fall by the wayside, it's a very educated guesses at best. Folks might not like streaming. Apps available across devices might be buggy as hell or just inferior to having a console, you cannot speak for 100 million people with different habits and gaming times.

I don't think it's wise to guess at all what the landscape is like. Just some sure fire bets like IP ownership is king, price has to be right, and good games usually sell well.

Everything else...

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
OR

You have to buy a Playstation to play the special Playstation exclusive games

And you have to buy a Nintendo to play the special Nintendo exclusive games

seems like a pretty good strategy and has worked well up until now. why deviate?

this kinda reminds me of all that discussion before current gen that consoles were on the way out. and we all know how that turned out.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
yes, Sony too........most sony exclusives will not come to another platform.

It's a lot easier to bite the bullet and make changes when you are in last place like microsoft was this generation. But when you sell gangbusters of consoles and software like Nintendo and Sony...........they won't be so keen to make changes or move their stuff to other platforms as quickly.

Did you know PSNOW exists ?
You can play GOW on a pc nowadays.