• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
We will see about that. If Sony and Nintendo continue their success stories I don't see them releasing (all) their games on PC or even other consoles.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's is literally no way Nintendo would put their games on another platform, regardless of how much we'd all want them to.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I agree, minus the Nintendo part.
They might go that way eventually, but the combination between their core values of owning every part of the pie, and also their ability to sell consoles that only play their games, means they won't need to do anything for a while.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So by the end of the decade there won't be a point in buying any platform at all because the entire industry is just going to be a sludgey malaise with too much overlap.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
There's is literally no way Nintendo would put their games on another platform, regardless of how much we'd all want them to.

Mario Kart was the top downloaded iOS game this year. They'll push outside of just Nintendo consoles if the money's there. That doesn't mean EVERY box and/or Xbox and PlayStation though.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Mat Piscatella is often wrong on his statements, simiarly to Michael Pachter, but I will agree on services being a bigger focus for companies in the 2020s.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please be a Movies Anywhere future

and not a

Netflix, Disney+, Peacock, CBS all access, DC Universe, HBO Go, Hulu, ... future

I just don't like our current trajectory

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
What he means by this is that the concept of a "Game platform" has evolved beyond just a piece of plastic you buy every few years. Platforms now also encompass services, mobile apps, and other devices in the family. Think PS Now and PS5 co-existing, or Microsoft's recent efforts with Xbox Game Pass, or Nintendo Switch Lite. Exclusives as they are now, aren't going away. But there will be more options to get exclusive content.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I agree, minus the Nintendo part.
They might go that way eventually, but the combination between their core values of owning every part of the pie, and also their ability to sell consoles that only play their games, means they won't need to do anything for a while.

yes, Sony too........most sony exclusives will not come to another platform.

It's a lot easier to bite the bullet and make changes when you are in last place like microsoft was this generation. But when you sell gangbusters of consoles and software like Nintendo and Sony...........they won't be so keen to make changes or move their stuff to other platforms as quickly.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I've been hearing the same thing about ecosystems in many different industries for almost 10 years now. I don't think I believe it anymore. But I guess we'll see.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what Mat is saying, but seeing how video streaming is now frightens me.

Hopefully the game industry doesnt make that mistake.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
yes, Sony too........most sony exclusives will not come to another platform.

It's a lot easier to bite the bullet and make changes when you are in last place like microsoft was this generation. But when you sell gangbusters of consoles and software like Nintendo and Sony...........they won't be so keen to make changes or move their stuff to other platforms as quickly.

This is the thing though— new consoles will start with new userbases and have PC builds with game compatibility. It literally wouldn't make business sense to keep games locked to only userbases that buy ~$500 consoles early considering modern tech has left the door open to do more.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much makes buying multiple platforms pointless, I'm already wondering what the point even is getting an Xbox these days when you can just play all the games elsewhere. So, wouldn't people spend less money as a result? And why would they want people spending less? More money spent means more revenue.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Doubt about Nintendo, but Sony already confirmed that their games will be streamable

Oct 25, 2017
But hardware is what locks people into an "ecosystem". You can't sell a PC's internet connection as a subscription fee like all console makers are doing.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

This doesnt sound like Nintendos approach at all - they are not even releasing classic games on mobile and are having record software sales on Switch...why would they try to force mobile gamers to buy full price Switch games when they are all about providing exclusive mobile games that take advantage of the f2p market ?

This is something MS is already doing, Sony might do....but when he is talking about Nintendo it sounds more like wishful thinking. Mario Party doesnt even have Pro Controller support and we think they are gonna have Ring Fit Adventure and BotW 2 running on smartphones via streaming ?

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
What difference between Platforms and ecosystems on these context?
It's weird when he brings Mario Karts mobile as example.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
You mean like phones?

This. Nintendo already has phone apps of its popular IP plus the Switch.

What difference between Platforms and ecosystems on these context?

What Mat is saying I think, is that Sony and Nintendo aren't going to start putting all their games on PC, rather, they'll make it so that their platform/ecosystem can be accessed from a variety of devices. Next Generation isn't just about a big box under your TV, it'll be about the services and ecosystem that platform offers across a variety of devices. So the concept of "Exclusives" as they are now with Sony and Nintendo aren't going away anytime soon. You'll just have more options to play them with.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously wrong - the industry isn't going to make the leap from hardware exclusive content to no hardware exclusive content in a year.

And to say something like this after PSNow exists and xCloud has entered trials seems like a weak prediction.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, I'll take Nintendo's conservative and maybe oldschool approach rather than heading into the ecosystem that you can play everywhere stuff first. Thank you.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well yeah, eventually they'll just be streaming apps probably. That eventually is a ways away though, probably end of next, next gen.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This. Nintendo already has phone apps of its popular IP plus the Switch. What Mat is saying I think, is that Sony and Nintendo aren't going to start putting all their games on PC, rather, they'll make it so that their platform/ecosystem can be accessed from a variety of devices.
And the only ones that aren't a flop are Fire Emblem Heroes (not First Party) and Pokemon GO (which success will never happen again)

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Nintendo might last another 10+ years on the current model. If/when they do move to a more ecosystem based approach, it'll be like their mobile offerings - tertiary, and mostly in service of pumping up their IPs.

Like, I can imagine a "Nintendo Subscription" that let's you play NES games on your Playstation and your phone as well as on your new Nintendo device But I can't imagine new games getting that treatment, like I can with Microsoft or Sony games.