• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The costume was always supposed to be scary in a lot of incarnations and look terrifying to criminals. Like that's a huge part of it being "Bat"-man.
That's supposed to be part of the character but has never really been the case. Not sure I've ever seen a Batman comic where he appears scary. But if I was living in Gotham and almost any version of Batman popped up behind me in the dark, I'd lose my shit regardless.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
That's supposed to be part of the character but has never really been the case. Not sure I've ever seen a Batman comic where he appears scary. But if I was living in Gotham and almost any version of Batman popped up behind me in the dark, I'd lose my shit regardless.
Scarecrow gas certainly helps with the spook factor.
951fec09b7fbe07015cd0adba10950e1292263a0_hq.gif

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
Chest was awesome, getting Arkham Knight game series vibes there. The mask/cowl though, something is off... I don't know if it's the lighting, but looked like a skinny Robocop mask... I'll reserve my judgement for a clearer future reveal...

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
I love that cowl and collar. In fact, I kind of dislike how mechanical/technological the suit looks in comparison to the cowl.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I'm so happy they're not gonna pretend Batman is a mentally sane person. This suit only reinforces those statements.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I love the cowl. Sort of like a serious version of the Adam West one.

I've never really been a big fan of the stilted rubber ones they used in most movies. This seems far more practical from a realism point of view.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like when they make Batman too armouredy, look wrong.
I need to see the full suit to really render an opinion though.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
There's something about this cowl that looks much better than the designs other people like Bosslogic did, but I'm not sure what it is.

The ears and their positioning, I think?
I'm surprised no one has tried to a design mock-up that is inspired by the classic 1939 cowl. I feel like there's some influence of that in the cowl tease

batman1939.jpg

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about this cowl that looks much better than the designs other people like Bosslogic did, but I'm not sure what it is.

There are multiple things wrong. Biggest other than the tiny ears is how forward facing and prominent the forehead is. That's generally a very female and child-like head structure, adult male foreheads slope back. Also seems like the main shape continues to roll back and down rather than being higher in the back or squaring off which usually the big ears help accomplish.

It'll probably look better when he's not pressing his chin down against his body like that but this cowl ain't it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Batman is plenty scary enough with his brutality and ninja-like abilities. Doesn't have to also look like he's going to eat your organs.

Batman is supposed to be visually terrifying to most, that's kind of the point. Alfred's reaction to Bruce pulling on the cowl for the first time in Mask of the Phantasm is great example and Alfred knows Bruce and was expecting it.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Batman is supposed to be visually terrifying to most, that's kind of the point. Alfred's reaction to Bruce pulling on the cowl for the first time in Mask of the Phantasm is great example and Alfred knows Bruce and was expecting it.
The trade off is that he's never been scary to the reader or viewer though. Intimidating, imposing, but never really visually frightening. We like the idea he instills fear but we don't want him to look like leatherface. At least the majority of people don't.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

The Bosslogic ears are goofily slanted too far forward. It looks like a parody mask.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The trade off is that he's never been scary to the reader or viewer though. Intimidating, imposing, but never really visually frightening. We like the idea he instills fear but we don't want him to look like leatherface. At least the majority of people don't.

I think the comparison to Leatherface is a laughable extreme so I don't really agree in the first place.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the comparison to Leatherface is a laughable extreme so I don't really agree in the first place.
The leatherface bit is obvious hyperbole but the rest stands. He's never meant to scare the viewer or make them uneasy in his appearance. This design is definitely more in the unease side of things, or just aesthetically displeasing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
The leatherface bit is obvious hyperbole but the rest stands. He's never meant to scare the viewer or make them uneasy in his appearance. This design is definitely more in the unease side of things, or just aesthetically displeasing.

Sounds more like a personal issue as I'm not sure why the actual make of the mask is supposed to inspire unease any more than the leather jacket I've got hanging on my coat rack. His eyes being nigh unreadable and the shape of his forehead and skull in the mask, those elements combined with the darkness do much more than the stitching you can barely make out at the moment.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like a personal issue as I'm not sure why the actual make of the mask is supposed to inspire unease any more than the leather jacket I've got hanging on my coat rack. His eyes being nigh unreadable and the shape of his forehead and skull in the mask, those elements combined with the darkness do much more than the stitching you can barely make out at the moment.
It's a matter of opinion so of course it's a personal issue lol. Tiny ears, bulbous forward facing forehead, stitching and leather appearing or actual leather material. It's a combination of things that make it a creepy mask.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's a matter of opinion so of course it's a personal issue lol. Tiny ears, bulbous forward facing forehead, stitching and leather appearing or actual leather material. It's a combination of things that make it a creepy mask.

We haven't even seen the ears yet, all those mock ups are entirely fan made.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think this suit is really one of those that need to have the white eyes

the eye holes seem to big and therefore draws attention to the eyes more so then the other parts of the mask

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't even seen the ears yet, all those mock ups are entirely fan made.
Doesn't look like it has big ears as he's coming towards camera in the official camera test. Maybe the focus on his face and that creepy ass mask is making it worse in my mind because the ears aren't being shown at the same time.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Need a version of this where Batman starts dancing at the end and some dance pop starts playing.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He looks like an awfully skinny Batman.

The suit design looks okay but that leather helmet is terrible. How the hell is that meant to stop any blows or even bullets?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It looks more practical and eerie/darker to me. BVS Batman looked absolutely ridiculous. I would be open to a more comic booky Batman but Synder's version just wasn't it for me.

We haven't answered the most important question yet though, can they move their head during fight scenes?

PizzaKing

May 24, 2019
"the dc snyder bros hate pattman and the new suit so by transitive property it is good"

Also: DKR being canon kinda sucks, Year One being canon is great and this is what I like about the costume