May 31, 2022
Wow, this is really cool!!! A software developer took the time and effort to generate central Maryland on a 1-1 scale in Minecraft:

www.thebaltimorebanner.com

Minecraft meets Baltimore in scaled, playable map

Map details include walking paths in Patterson Park and Federal Hill Park, winding suburban roads and a swimmable Inner Harbor.

Here's what parts of central Maryland that has been recreated in Minecraft:

Xlirj1f.jpg

And here's where you can download this Minecraft map:

Software developer generates central Maryland on a 1-to-1 scale in Minecraft

Minecraft is an uber-popular video game with millions of estimated players every day. And now, those players have a chance to explore Baltimore, Annapolis and other parts of Central Maryland within the game.

For those who don't know, Minecraft is an open-world sandbox game, meaning there's no specific plot to follow or characters to interact with. Players get plopped into a randomly generated world and have to figure out how to harvest and combine different digital resources to fight monsters, survive and build structures. Everything in Minecraft is represented by a block, giving the game a retro-yet-timeless feel that's held strong appeal since its launch in 2011.

Emanuele Maiorana, a software developer who lives in Italy, said he's not actually familiar with the region. He created the map in Minecraft on commission from someone who lives locally. This, too, is part of the culture around Minecraft. In addition to creating fantasy worlds or recreating settings from TV shows, people use the game to explore real-world places and historic sites for educational purposes.

"This particular map was the first to integrate buildings and roads, a milestone that I have been working hard towards for the past few months and that allowed me to appreciate the variety of buildings that the city has," Maiorana said in an interview over Reddit, where he goes by the username AtmosphericBeats.

The project began in February this year, he said, and was published in early May. It was his first map made on a 1-to-1 scale, meaning that every in-game Minecraft block is equal to one meter in the real world.

He said he developed software that downloads data from open sources, like the U.S. Geological Survey for elevation data and OpenStreetMap for things like building heights and road shapes. Maiorana's software takes that data, and over a number of hours, converts it into a Minecraft world.

"In the future I plan to also include the individual trees present in urban environments, the details of the roofs and the specific material of some buildings, fountains, bridges and tunnels," AtmosphericBeats wrote on Reddit. "The data is there, it's just a matter of managing it the best way possible."

He said he works for a private Italian company that's focused on meteorology, so he works with weather forecasting models every day. Because of that, he's constantly analyzing geographical data — a skill set that's been easily transferable into creating real-world maps in Minecraft.

Players who download the Minecraft map, which for now is only available for PC players, would be able to travel from the State House in Annapolis to the Port of Baltimore, to Druid Hill Park, to the Loch Raven Reservoir and everywhere in between.

Buhbooyah

Nov 21, 2019
yoooooo I have never really been into Minecraft but the idea I could go from my house in Baltimore to every apartment I have had in the area to my childhood in fucking BROOKLYN PARK home to my job in Annapolis is like, next level

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
That's incredible, anyone willing to download and share with us how big the map is storage-wise?
Cause some of the ones I have are already a few gigabytes and they aren't even that big.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Think about 10 years ago the UK's mapping agency (Ordnance Survey) built a 1:1 scale map of the UK in Minecraft using about 2 billion blocks. Think the seed is still available to download from the UK gov site.

OP
OP
May 31, 2022

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I like the usage of one of those fancy render distance mods like distant horizons. They really help Minecraft look way better and show scale way better than nothingness in the distance (with some other mods too):

View: https://media2.giphy.com/media/NyE8JUfmvy9iRdkClJ/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lstpguqclovzzpwn2rd1wymonlu2v5obk3epsb50&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

View: https://media3.giphy.com/media/pKn1o59WjuBJ77vbUQ/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522rl59giynhoeh45gqd979p0ixyf8m6zbge81jndr&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

View: https://media4.giphy.com/media/cFk8nfiYhtvHfCRrZ3/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952h6z2ki47wxoo9jf9sn7pq70ttcegc8ywhkln3n09&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

youtu.be

VANILLA vs Distant Horizons 2.0 + Bliss shader | 128 chunks Render Distance

Bonjour à tous ! Récemment Distant Horizons est devenu compatible avec Iris Shaders, et le rendu est vraiment incroyable ! ....- La musique utilisée dans cet...

The file size on the map the person from OP made is crazy huge. I feel like I'm playing Minecraft wrong when the most I make is a big square base.