For US politics and election threads
May 31, 2022
The AP has called the Maryland U.S. Senate Primary race for Prince Georges County Executive Angela Alsobrooks on the Democratic side and former Maryland Governor Larry Hogan for the Republican side. In November, it will be Alsobrooks vs. Hogan for U.S. Senate in Maryland:

Nh79LBT.png

OP
OP
May 31, 2022
Oh wow, history would be made if Angela Alsobrooks wins in November. Politico reports that only three Black women has served in the U.S. Senate but never two at the same time. If Alsobrooks wins in November, she would likely join Delaware's Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester who is "widely favored" to win an open Senate seat in Delaware: https://www.politico.com/news/2024/...emocratic-senate-primary-in-maryland-00158054

Only three Black women have ever served in the U.S. Senate, and there have never been two at once. If Alsobrooks wins in November, she would likely join Delaware's Rep. Lisa Blunt Rochester, who is widely favored to win an open Senate seat there this fall.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
David Trone spent something like 50-60 million on this, and got smashed!
That said, I'm worried about the actual race. People like Larry Hogan, and there will probably be a bunch of people who usually vote democrat who end up voting for him, the same way they voted him in as Governor

OP
OP
May 31, 2022
That said, I'm worried about the actual race. People like Larry Hogan, and there will probably be a bunch of people who usually vote democrat who end up voting for him, the same way they voted him in as Governor

Yep, saw reported that Trone spent $64 million of his own money on this Senate race.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Governor races can be decoupled from partisanship in a way that federal races (usually) can't. It's how Democrats hold the governorships of Kentucky and Kansas, and Republicans have Vermont.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Maryland Democrats battle for party's future ā€” and control of the Senate

Ex-Gov. Larry Hogan's GOP campaign has changed Tuesday's Democratic Senate primary between Angela Alsobrooks and David Trone in Maryland.

Democratic Rep. David Trone has spent more than $60 million of his own personal fortune on the primary as he takes on Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks, who is vying to become the state's first Black senator and one of the few Black women to ever serve in the upper chamber.
-----------------------------
Alsobrooks, a Prince George's County native, leads Maryland's second-largest county, previously having served as its domestic violence prosecutor and later its first Black woman state's attorney.
"I feel every person should be able to look in the Senate and see themselves," Alsobrooks told NBC News. "I'm not in this race because I'm Black and a woman, but I am proud to be a Black woman. But I am also proud that I have the kind of experience that will help bring home the results for Maryland."
Trone has attempted to appeal to the state's Black voters, who are an important voting bloc in the Democratic primary.
But Trone has also stumbled on the subject of race, grabbing headlines earlier this year for using a racial slur during a congressional hearing, which he said was an inadvertent slip when addressing Office of Management and Budget Director Shalanda Young, who is Black.
"While attempting to use the word 'bugaboo' in a hearing, I used a phrase that is offensive," he said at the time. "That word has a long, dark, terrible history. It should never be used any time, anywhere, in any conversation. I recognize that as a white man, I have privilege."
Asked about his campaign's outreach to Black voters, Trone told NBC News that he supports diversity and has financially supported "diverse candidates," and he referenced his childhood on a 200-acre chicken and hog farm in Pennsylvania along the Maryland border, which his family lost to bankruptcy after his parents divorced, noting that he didn't come from wealth and saying he could relate to voters.
"But at the end of the day, what we hear from so many diverse voters is we need someone who actually speaks for us, somebody who has our values," Trone said. "I went to public school, [Alsobrooks] went to private school."
"Someone who lived the life they did," Trone continued. "I didn't even have indoor plumbing. We had an outhouse. And I grew up in a family that was destroyed by alcoholism, destroyed. So we grew up in a tough circumstance, and things weren't easy. But at the end of the day, we became successful and said, OK now I got to give back."

šŸ˜¬

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness, the Trone ads can stop now.

Early prediction is that Hogan will overperform relative to most MD senate races, but Also Alsobrooks will still win, 54-46%. Hogan hasn't had to run during a presidential cycle yet.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Proud of my fellow Marylanders for this!

I'm also worried about the senate election. Larry is going to pivot HARD into the "reasonable" Republican narrative. I think most folks understand that this isn't acceptable at the state level, but who knows.

Oct 28, 2017

People like Larry Hogan, but they hated Martin O'Malley more. When his Lt. Gov ran against him, people saw it as O'Malley's third term.

I am less secure in Democrats winning this Senate race than previous years but I think Alsobrooks is in a better position than Trone. As PG county executive she has a better chance of securing that DC-Baltimore corridor than Trone. His district was Western MD.

In a race between two old white men, why would the Democratic candidate be more appealable, when historically, they favor Republicans?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Proud of my fellow Marylanders for this!

I'm also worried about the senate election. Larry is going to pivot HARD into the "reasonable" Republican narrative. I think most folks understand that this isn't acceptable at the state level, but who knows.

He was an exceptionally popular governor, much like Baker in MA. And in another statewide, he'll harness that popularity. The Eastern Shore will predictably vote Red, but my fear is that they'll leverage that "reasonable" Republican narrative and we'll end up with a fucked Senate for another 6 years because of it.

Then again, that's nothing new. I'd just hate to lose a seat.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
For the sake of comparison, Maryland had a senate race and the governor's race in 2018.

Ben Cardin won the senate race 1.5M to 700k.

Hogan won the governor's race 1.275M to 1M.

That's a 500k swing between the two races.

Oct 28, 2017
He was an exceptionally popular governor, much like Baker in MA. And in another statewide, he'll harness that popularity. The Eastern Shore will predictably vote Red, but my fear is that they'll leverage that "reasonable" Republican narrative and we'll end up with a fucked Senate for another 6 years because of it.

Then again, that's nothing new. I'd just hate to lose a seat.

Worry less about the Eastern Shore, as you said, they'll vote red. Worry more about Baltimore county and Anne Arundel county. They will swing between parties. Hard to say which they will vote for because they both voted for Moore in 2022 BUT did vote for Hogan in 2014 and 2018. Those two counties will pretty much decide who wins the election.

Angela Alsobrooks has the advantage of being able to campaign with the governor, who won very easily. Hogan? He's not gonna get an endorsement from Trump. The last Republican governor was Bob Ehrlich and nobody gives af about him.

Hogan is no Charlie Baker. MA has a history of electing more Republican governors than MD. I think Hogan is more like Chris Christie lol.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Oh thank god. I can stop being harassed by David Trone multiple times a day now.