• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
So, if I'm not mistaken the PS4 just had its best May yet (above May 2016, which had Uncharted 4, by about 15k) and with no sale. In its 5th year.
And looking at the line-up of games coming September onwards, I honestly could see it be up yoy.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
You think July to September will do worst than Last year?

also with Smash in December Q4 can be carried by it, if they did 3M last time with Oddysey in November and Q4 only Bayo ports and Kirby, Q4 this FY carried by Smash and maybe Fire Emblem should do better.

Hell, worst be worst, they can pull a holiday (BF) only price cut for a short massive boost

Last edited:

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
didnt xbox 1 have 50$ price cut in NA?if so this result for XBX1 isn't very promising .
To $199 but that was June, no?

Xbox One Xbox One S Price Cut $50 May 13th - May 19th [1 week] 500GB $229 / 1TB $249 500GB $199 @ GameStop for a few days $50 gift card with every Xbox One X May 20th - May 26th [1 week] State of Decay 2 with every Xbox One X [Bes

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, if I'm not mistaken the PS4 just had its best May yet (above May 2016, which had Uncharted 4, by about 15k) and with no sale. In its 5th year.
And looking at the line-up of games coming September onwards, I honestly could see it be up yoy.
Larry-David-pretty-pretty-pretty-good-GIF.gif

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
power of very strong line up and upcoming known games

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit moving so many systems to hardcore QD fans PS4 just had its best May ever.....I wish lol. But hey I finally bought one just to play it.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I think if they ship 11.3m in Q3 they won't reach 20 million.

Q1 ~2m
Q2 ~2.5m
Q3 ~12.5m
Q4 ~3m

But they can ship a bit more in Q2 and Q4 to make up Q3 < 12m.

If they ship 12 million in Q3 then Q4 is definitively gonna be way bigger than 3 million. 3 million is this year level, and after a big holiday + a better line up (Fire Emblem should be early 2019 + others games) they can even surpass 4 million.

I also see Q1 and Q2 being better than that, last year Switch was 2.9 million in Q2, i don't see Switch down YOY that quarter. We'll see how Q1 does.

I got lost here, you mean 11.31M World wide and 3,81M NA only?? , right?

11.63 million is SHIPPED worldwide, from October to December 2009.

3.81 million is SOLD in USA (not North America), only in December, while October/November/December combined are 5.58 million.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest i can see a similar scenario.

PS4 is not a good comparation because it has different sales compared to Nintendo consoles in the year, we all know that in term of percents, holidays are huge for Nintendo.

Switch may not sell 3.81 million in a month only in USA, but, i can see Nintendo match the 11.31 million units Wii was able to ship worldwide the last quarter of 2009.

Wii sold 5.6 million in the USA from October to December 2009, Switch won't reach that but i can still see big sales in USA (around 4 million) and better sales in the rest of the world: feeling like Europe for Switch will be better than for Wii, and of course Japan will be way up YOY.

Wii still shipped 4.22 million to ''others'' region during that holiday quarter. US is the strongest region of Switch (just like for Wii) so with that hypothetical 4 million US sales it's not gonna match those Wii ''others'' numbers either. Only region where it will have better shipments is Japan and even there Wii still had solid holiday numbers in 2009 and shipped over a million for quarter. I guess if they went all in and were willing to cut the price of the hw too there would be better chance but that then would cut to the profit forecast so I predict that they will just lower the hw forecast to more realistic number (like 18 million).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Wii still shipped 4.22 million to ''others'' region during that holiday quarter. US is the strongest region of Switch (just like for Wii) so with that hypothetical 4 million US sales it's not gonna match those Wii ''others'' numbers either. Only region where it will have better shipments is Japan and even there Wii still had solid holiday numbers in 2009 and shipped over a million for quarter. I guess if they go all in with price promotions too but that then will cut the profit forecast so I predict that they will just lower the hw forecast to more realistic number (like 18 million).
Or they will overship like Sony did in 2016 .

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Wii still shipped 4.22 million to ''others'' region during that holiday quarter. US is the strongest region of Switch (just like for Wii) so with that hypothetical 4 million US sales it's not gonna match those Wii ''others'' numbers either. Only region where it will have better shipments is Japan and even there Wii still had solid holiday numbers in 2009 and shipped over a million for quarter. I guess if they go all in with price promotions too but that then will cut the profit forecast so I predict that they will just lower the hw forecast to more realistic number (like 18 million).

Do not confuse USA with America. If they sell 4 million in USA, then America sales should probabily be something like 4.7 million, and shipments could be over 5 million. So something like:

5 million in America
4 million in "others"
2.5 million in Japan

For a total of 11.5 million worldwide , seem realistic to me.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It all depends on the deals they offer this holiday. If they do 199€ with enough stock they could easily blow past 20 million ww.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Here is the performance of QD's other titles in their first NPD month:

Beyond: ~125k (26 days)
Heavy Rain: 220k (5 days)

Detroit has more days than HR so hopefully it beat it or got close

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Or they will overship like Sony did in 2016 .

This is what I predicted in the other thread. They are going to ship the 20 million no matter what. Retailers will be primed to order as many Switches as nintendo can provide in Q3 with the launches of pokemon and smash.

Well that could of course always happen. You can't overship just because you want to though. You need retailers with too high expectations willing to buy huge amount of stock. Not to mention overshipping during holidays would probably affect to Q4 shipments.

Do not confuse USA with America. If they sell 4 million in USA, then America sales should probabily be something like 4.7 million, and shipments could be over 5 million. So something like:

5 million in America
4 million in "others"
2.5 million in Japan

For a total of 11.5 million worldwide , seem realistic to me.

Well I guess we will see. I just don't see how there would so insane growth to last year. Especially if they try to do this without price cut.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well I guess we will see. I just don't see how there would so insane growth to last year. Especially if they try to do this without price cut.

Were you expecting Q1 this year to beat Q1 last year? I was actually thinking if they end up flat they would have done well. The Switch had such a massive launch I wasn't expecting any growth Q1. I was expecting Q2 and Q3 to be better performers.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So unless I'm mistaken this is the best ever May for XB1 by 4k. Is that correct? Crazy that despite selling the best the console ever has during this month it still wasn't enough to bump them out of third place in unit sales. I'd wager they'll probably be second in revenue though.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty crazy to see PS4s best May yet. Nice to see GoW at the top as well.

Switch and 20 million... I'm just gonna wait on that to see how Pokemon/Smash do. It always seemed like a high second year goal but we'll see.

XB1 is doing alright.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Some historical data (stolen from Welfare's post) to allow for better comparisons:

May

XBO:

2014 - 77k ($399 500GB Standalone SKU announced for June; Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: TNO)
2015 - 140k (Halo: MCC Bundle; The Witcher 3)
2016 - 107k (50$ Gift cards and Free Game Deal @GS; Doom, Overwatch)
2017 - 109k ($299 Deal for 1TB Model at @GS and "every retailer"; Injustice 2)
2018 - 145k (Several Deals, State of Decay 2, DS:R)

PS4:

2014 - 197k (Watch Dogs Bundle; Watch Dogs, Wolfenstein: TNO)
2015 - 153k (Trade-in Deal @BB; The Witcher 3)
2016 - 207k (Trade-in Deal @GS, Uncharted 4 + Bundle; DOOM, Overwatch)
2017 - 187k (Injustice 2)
2018 - 223k (Detroit, God of Legs, DS:R)

NSW:

2017 - 165k (Launch boost & MK8D legs vs. supply constraints)
2018 - 167k (Hyrule Warriors, DK legs)

EDIT: updated version of the comparison

Demand.

Mobile is taking most of the production lines making the overall price skyrocket since early 2017.

That generate issues in supply so manufacture are increasing the price every month.

There are/were also rumors about illicit collusion regarding the production capacity. In April, there were even news about a class action suit:https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-hynix-and-micron-dram-class-action-suit-collusion

Last edited:

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

With Smash and Pokémon, which are basicallythe third and second biggest Nintendo IP? I don't see why not. (by the way the biggest one is Mario, with Mario Kart, which only got a port, so even with pretty big sales, MK8 Deluxe still can't be as big as Pokémon or Smash, at least at launch... expecially at launch)

Last year Switch did 7.24 million and only had Mario Odyssey as a notable release during the holidays. Also maybe not a definitive pricedrop, but i surely can see some kind of promotions this christmas/Blackfriday.

Some historical data (stolen from Welfare's post) to allow for better comparisons:

XBO:

2014 - 77k
2015 - 140k (Halo: MCC Bundle)
2016 - 107k (50$ Gift cards and Free Game GS Deal)
2017 - 109k ($299 Deal at several/every retailer)
2018 - 145k (Several Deals, State of Decay 2)

PS4:
2014 - 197k (Watch Dogs Bundle)
2015 - 153k (Trade-in Deal)
2016 - 207k (Trade-in Deal, Uncharted 4 + Bundle)
2017 - 187k (?)
2018 - 223k (Detroit, God of Legs ;) )

NSW:

2017 - ??? (supply constrained, between XBO and PS4?)
2018 - 167k (Hyrule Warriors, DK legs)

There are/were also rumors about illicit collusion regarding the production capacity. In April, there were even news about a class action suit:https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-hynix-and-micron-dram-class-action-suit-collusion

Switch was 165K last year. Also PS4 looks like was 182K.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that PS4 is still selling this well in year five. Switch isn't going to make the 20 million, but it's going to be fairly close I'd guess.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Were you expecting Q1 this year to beat Q1 last year? I was actually thinking if they end up flat they would have done well. The Switch had such a massive launch I wasn't expecting any growth Q1. I was expecting Q2 and Q3 to be better performers.

Well it's doesn't even matter what I expected. Nintendo most certainly expected to beat last years Q1 by good margin when they made that huge 20 million FY forecast.

With Smash and Pokémon, which are basicallythe third and second biggest Nintendo IP? I don't see why not. (by the way the biggest one is Mario, with Mario Kart, which only got a port, so even with pretty big sales, MK8 Deluxe still can't be as big as Pokémon or Smash, at least at launch... expecially at launch)

Last year Switch did 7.24 million and only had Mario Odyssey as a notable release during the holidays. Also maybe not a definitive pricedrop, but i surely can see some kind of promotions this christmas/Blackfriday.

Well like you said last year had Mario so that should offset Smash bros and so only big differentiating factor software wise will be Pokemon and it will be kinda spin off so we don't know will it resonate as much with consumers as traditional Pokemon games. Not to mention last year Splatoon 2 had just launched in July and Switch had also had Mario Kart during that fiscal year. This FY is completely empty of bigger first party titles before Pokemon.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Y'all really pessimistic about this switch forecast. It's shipped altogether. Nintendo can basically be flat for 3 of the 4 quarter and then ship a lot more for Q3.