• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/may-...ndo-continues-to-go-from-strength-to-strength

Despite a trio of strong games having launched last week, God of War wasn't threatened in the monthly charts, and managed to keep its top spot in May. Sales for Sony Santa Monica's hit were only down 55 per cent month-on-month, a very healthy drop.

Between Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors and usual top sellers like Mario Kart, Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, the market share for the Switch increased month-on-month, reaching 18.1 per cent in units, against 12.5 per cent in April. In terms of value, the Switch was 23.8 per cent of the market in May (against 14.8 per cent in April) overtaking the Xbox One and its 21.3 per cent.

Sony remained the top publisher in May, with Nintendo being a very (very) close second.

Meanwhile, another PS4 exclusive, Detroit: Become Human, made it to No.5 despite only having been on shelves for two days when GfK closed its report on May 26th. Meanwhile, Xbox One exclusive State of Decay 2, having released on May 22nd, debuted at No.6.

UK's top ten games for May 2018:
  1. God of War
  2. FIFA 18
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. Donkey Kong County: Tropical Freeze
  5. Detroit: Become Human
  6. State of Decay 2
  7. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  8. Fallout 4
  9. Lego Marvel Superheroes 2
  10. Dark Souls Remastered

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
I don't follow the UK market very closely... quite surprised to see Nintendo overtake Xbox in market share, even if it was a close fight

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Who is the other 55 percent of market?
23.8 Nintendo and 21.3 MS

Is it Sony ?

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
images

Legs.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, Nintendo overtook MS.

Hopefully Switch allows them to keep building a stronger base in the UK, they need it.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Seriusly, if Switch does better than XB1 in UK i can't even imagine how things looks worldwide......

Oct 25, 2017
Another top tier game from Sony. They are killing it these last few years. Plus some more God-tier games coming soon as well.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mario Kart 8 still doing work. Damn!

Decent result for Detroit given it was only on shelves for a few days. I wonder if it'll be able to lead sales in June. Or if God of War will continue to truck along. I don't believe there are any major June releases that will compete

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriusly, if Switch does better than XB1 in UK i can't even imagine how things looks worldwide......

There is nothing to excite people into buying it right now. Switch & PS4 are on fire with promises of good things to come for the rest of the year.

Microsoft has Forza sometime later in the year, that's about it, E3 will be the impetus for people sitting on the fence with Xbox.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing to excite people into buying it right now. Switch & PS4 are on fire with promises of good things to come for the rest of the year.

Microsoft has Forza sometime later in the year, that's about it, E3 will be the impetus for people sitting on the fence with Xbox.
While this is true, Nintendo has had a quiet first half (there have been new releases, but nothing on the scale of Breath of the Wild, or Mario Kart), and Nintendo is traditionally weaker in the UK, while UK is one of Xbox's strongest territories. If nothing else, the inertial momentum of all of that would have kept Xbox ahead of Nintendo. I'm surprised that did not happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 still doing work. Damn!

Decent result for Detroit given it was only on shelves for a few days. I wonder if it'll be able to lead sales in June. Or if God of War will continue to truck along. I don't believe there are any major June releases that will compete
Yeah, basically nothing big coming out until September. Oh, just remembered Madden (Aren't they August releases?) but I don't know how they perform in UK.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Isn't the market share purely for the month? Are people misreading that on purpose?

Apr 9, 2018
I said before but Switch being popular is bad news for Xbox. They are going to get squeezed even further, pushed into 3rd place picking up even less scraps from the other two in terms of hardware and software sales.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, basically nothing big coming out until September. Oh, just remembered Madden (Aren't they August releases?) but I don't know how they perform in UK.
Poor. It charts but it doesn't set them alight or stay around for long.

Jurassic World is out this month which might do ok especially with the help of the film.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
God of War showing how it's done, amazing legs and well deserved!
Nintendo also killing it, great stuff.