Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As I get older I find it such a chore to keep changing discs and/or cartridges. I would rather download and install a game then change discs. The older I get the more digital gaming seems much more pleasing.

I have not changed my Switch cartridge in months since animal crossing is in there and since I play animal crossing daily (changing cartridges daily is annoying).

Anyone else feel the same?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I can somewhat relate since I change between Animal Crossing & Ring Fit Adventure every day, but I still like actually having the cartridge/disc.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It literally takes 15 seconds to switch catridges/dics. I still buy lots of digital games for other reasons but that is barely an argument.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It's not lazy. I seriously don't know how physical only folks do it. It's so annoying. Smart resume on Series X is so nice as well.

I've always preferred the digital jukebox aspect of digital.

Also, what's nuts is that your game is installed in the HDD lol. Discs are just DRM checks.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mainly find it annoying for multiplayer games and racers. Like if I'm just going to play one or two races or a round of CoD I'm not going to be bother if I have to put the disc in.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I definitely like digital for convenience, but I buy physical for many games. Digital for games I frequently hop into, like fighters, or games where the disc will be useless due to DLC, also fighters, are games I get digitally. I will, however, often buy a complete edition that includes everything for cheap years later.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I only ever play one game at a time and then move onto another one once I finish it, so it's not an issue for me.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it, but it's rare that I have to take a disc out.

As a single-player only guy, I'm usually focused on a specific game for days or weeks at a time until I finish it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm going mostly digital these days. Switching between games (especially on the new consoles) is so much faster and makes it feel like I have more direct access to my library at all times.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Same, i haven't started Yakuza yet because i rented Melody of Memory and figured i'll just beat that first.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Runs counter to the glorious push towards lighting fast booting/switching between games.

Things also exist in my rotation via bite sized 10-15 min chunks, something that's rare when you're juggling a physical collection.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This is only an issue for me on PS5 and Switch really. Everything on PC is digital and Xbox is basically a Game Pass box.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yup. I was so happy when Destiny 2 came out so I could ditch my physical Taken King and go all digital. I know I'm losing out on a lot of savings with digital only but convenience wins out. And I almost feel guilty saying that lol.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I actually really dislike touching physical media too much, so I feel it. Would rather have regularly played games at the touch of a button rather than having to dig out the case with the game inside (I keep physical in a drawer. Organized, but cumbersome, especially with Switch where I'm commonly in a different room.)

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'm with you 100%.

I'm the kind of person with a dozen different books stacked up by my bed, in the middle of eight different TV shows, especially with Game Pass and F2P and just being an adult with money, I'm in the middle of an untold number of games, along with yeah, say fighting games and various MP FPS titles, where sometimes I just want to play a few rounds. I'm long past wanting discs at all.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
It's like having a remote. Sure, I could walk to the tv and change the station. But, I have a remote... why bother? (Never going back to physical media.)

Mar 8, 2018
I'm heavily weighing the value of getting the Seagate Card for the XSX, for basically this reason. I want to be able to have the big service/multiplayer games on hand and still be able to conveniently pop in to single player games.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digital convenience trumps saving a few extra $$ for me

Sep 11, 2020
It's not lazy. I seriously don't know how physical only folks do it. It's so annoying. Smart resume on Series X is so nice as well.

I've always preferred the digital jukebox aspect of digital.

Also, what's nuts is that your game is installed in the HDD lol. Discs are just DRM checks.

My PS Store is crowded. Especially of PS+ games that I will never play but somehow I still grabbed. Physical has the convenience that I can do a clearance anytime I want. Yes, it takes space. But I decide how much. I think I must have sold like... half of my PS4 collection in 2020 year? 8 to 10 games, at the very least.

Seeing games on a shelf also motivates me to replay them at times. A couple of months ago, for example, I went back to Nier Automata. For that reason, I only keep games that I like enough that I think I'll want to replay them some time in the future.

In any case, putting a disk inside the console takes like, what? 15 seconds? I don't see how annoying that can be, really. We all gonna end up like the humans in the Wall-E movie if standing up from your couch for less than half a minute is such a huge deal.

I do buy digital for multiplayer games, like Monster Hunter: World. Mainly because I tend to get those on PC.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I find myself playing whatever disk is in the console instead of what I wanted to play, sometimes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Convenience =/= laziness. I want to change physical discs while gaming about as much as I want to lower the windows in my car with a crank handle or shift gears manually.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Switching out discs and cartridges is a ritual I happily continue. I can't deny the convenience of digital libraries on Steam or quick-resume on my Switch, but I will always treasure that gratifying shift when I replace the game in my system with another.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more than ok with it really. I like stopping for a second and engaging with the hardware. Like changing film on a camera.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Interesting, I can't really relate to this at all. My PS5 is at my feet and changing discs takes maybe 20-30 seconds. But I also tend to play games "one and done" and stick to a single physical game at a time for the most part.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much games I know I'll play a lot I buy digitally like long RPG's or GaaS titles but SP experiences like TLOU or Spiderman I buy physically since I know I'm a one playthrough type of person.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
trade off of having control over what I do with my games, switch in particular, after finishing is a trade off I'm willing to make in exchange for having to fuss a few times more than once a day with swaps.

however, multi cd players are old tech and I've always wondered if it would really be such a size restriction or hassle to engineer a console that could have like, maybe two or three discs in at once on rotation.

but overall, I generally choose which genres of games I'm willing to buy physically (or from which devs/pubs), and which I would prefer to have on the fly, and so far that's been working nicely!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Digital has been just as transformative to my gaming habits as it was for music and movies. I consume more, discover more, and play precisely what I'm in the mood for most of the time. Some weeks I might play a dozen plus different things. That never happened when I was buyin6 physical games.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I think as we move towards almost instant loading for games and very fast boot ups for systems...taking the time to change out discs will seem even more out of place and 'time consuming' lol. That said I still plan to buy certain games on physical media for XSX/PS5.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I came to this realization a decade ago, maybe more. I only kept up with physical releases on older Nintendo consoles since their policies regarding digital rights were so backwards. They're handling it better with the Switch.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
It takes like 30 seconds if that to switch discs. Seriously not an issue.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Most GaaS games I'm familiar with (Fortnite/Warframe) don't even have physical. There may be physical boxes at stores, but they always only come with digital codes. the games themselves are free to download.

The problem seesm to be GaaS games that also require a $60 purchase. On the whole , I strike a balance between games I want digitally (always on my Switch) vs games I want to own physically.

Almost all first party games I prefer to own physically.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came to this realization a decade ago, maybe more. I only kept up with physical releases on older Nintendo consoles since their policies regarding digital rights were so backwards. They're handling it better with the Switch.
Same. Can't imagine using physical media for anything other than ripping to my digital library. Changing discs seems so archaic.

I never bought a single physical game for PS4 or Xbox One. Those disc drives might not even work for all I know.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
What does getting old have to do with it? Discs are less convenient and storing them takes up unnecessary space.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Digital is the best. It's not about the inconvenience of changing a disc, for me it's all about being able to access whatever I want at any time, without any hurdles. Remote Play with a digital library is great, for example.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unironically pay extra for digital editions because changing discs is too annoying. I had the choice to buy Borderlands 3 for 10€ in a store or for 20€ in the PSN store and I gladly paid the 100% premium just to avoid the disc swapping.

Digital versions are superior in most ways I care about.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
I was literally just thinking about this yesterday lol.

Trust me, I'm 24, it ain't an age thing. With digital games and near-instantaneous load times, something as simple as changing discs feels like a mission.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Low key starting to buy games twice.....like i cant do MH World, SFV, and Rhythm games on disc no more but I need a physical copy.