• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you want 4K?

• Yes, I need that sweet sweet crispness.

Votes: 980 44.0%
  • At the screen size I'm at, I'm fine with 1080p or 1440p.

Votes: 1,245 56.0%

• Total voters

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I kinda agree. I have a 1080p beamer where I play my PS4 and my PC games and they look incredible. Really not interested in sacrificing any kind of performance for more pixels right now. I also have a 27 inch 1440p PC display but honestly it's more a productivity thing than something I actually love when gaming.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Having gotten used to 4K, I don't want to go back to 1080p. XB1X has felt like a generational leap at times and it's all down to the increased resolution.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
All you PC gamers saying 1440p is the best: it's ok for your monitors but not for 50+ inch TVs.
Yeah on my 55" OLED 1440p to 2160p is a big difference. Especially going back to 1440p after being used to 2160p, looks blurry and noticeable aliasing. Well, it is half the pixels. The crisp, near perfect image of 2160p is something I've totally got used to with a 2080Ti. Probably the reason you'll struggle to pull me away from PC gaming even when the next consoles launch - will be getting a 3080 Ti for sure.

1080p or lower looks really, really bad to me now. Like going from an iPad with retina display to one of those cheap Kindles. And talking of Switch, luckily Nintendo's minimalist art style isn't too badly affected by lower resolutions, but my word games like LM3 would still look absolutely mind-blowing in 4K for sure.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a guess for me, based around my 1440p 27" screen but probably something like this:

< 27" - 1080p
approx. 27" - 1440p
approx. 50" - 2160p

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah on my 55" OLED 1440p to 2160p is a big difference. Especially going back to 1440p after being used to 2160p, looks blurry and noticeable aliasing. Well, it is half the pixels. The crisp, near perfect image of 2160p is something I've totally got used to with a 2080Ti. Probably the reason you'll struggle to pull me away from PC gaming even when the next consoles launch - will be getting a 3080 Ti for sure.

That's more to do with using a non-native resolution on that display, which will always look slightly blurry. 1440p native on a monitor will still look great.

Vetinari

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Once you reach a certain threshold, the law of diminishing returns applies.
Problem is that in the economic system we live in, companies have to come up with extra features to stay competitive, justify the price they charge and keep all these R&D engineers busy. If some people are happy to pay 2x for a marginal visual leap or something that needs even more expensive hardware to be fully appreciated, more power to them.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Exactly how much more 4k costs in terms of performance than 1080p is widely misunderstood by gamers too. Most modern games have been fill rate (how many milliseconds per pixel) bottlenecked for a while. Quadrupling the pixel count set us so far back on performance and visual quality for the most minor practical improvement (on most display sizes)

2.5k is a nice compromise if your screen is 50 inches or something, but unfortunately we leap frogged straight to stupid resolution to keep up with tv manufacturer marketing.

Looking forward to the new 12 teraflop monster consoles running games at ultra low settings 30fps again as soon as 8k tvs become popular.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have a 1080p 24in monitor that I absolutely love and everything looks really good on. If anything, I feel like HDR is the bigger thing I notice when playing games on my 65in OLED through my Xbox One X rather than just the higher resolution. I mean sure, 1080p would (and quite frankly does sometimes) look shit at that size on that TV, but for my gaming monitor thats also 144hz, I am honestly absolutely okay with 1080p and still find a lot of game worlds to be beautiful

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my future plan is a nice 4K TV that my PC and consoles connect to, then I'll get a low res, high hz monitor. I prefer playing the majority of games with a controller so it makes sense that if I get a nice TV, I output those games to that with a controller. Then I can have a cheaper high refresh rate monitor for the few games where mouse is preferable like FPS.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A 4k tv even feels like a waste to me on normal video viewing. I have no 4k bluray player and I don't collect physical movies. My internate data is capped, and watching 4k media via the internet would suck that pool dry. The only reason I have a 4k tv now is hype, and someone gifted it to me.

The main thing that matters are native resolution, the size of the display, and viewing distance. PC gamers with a monitor are in a good position to save a lot of wasted power with a smaller screen and being pretty close to it. They can then used that saved power for whatever raytracing solution is picked and used across all video cards, and other graphics goodies.

Oh and 144+ hz !!!!!!

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on some of what I'm reading in here, there seems to be the misconception that 4k TVs are outrageously expensive. Sure, if you are looking to get the best of the best, but fairly decent 4k TVs are around the same price (if not cheaper in some cases) than 1080p TVs now from what I've seen. This whole idea that you are spending 2 or 3 times the money for 4k is ludicrous. If you were shopping for a new TV why wouldn't you go 4k? It would make zero sense not to.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
As said by many others, 1440p is the sweet spot.

1440p @ 120 hz
tenor.gif

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Once you reach a certain threshold, the law of diminishing returns applies.
Problem is that in the economic system we live in, companies have to come up with extra features to stay competitive, justify the price they charge and keep all these R&D engineers busy. If some people are happy to pay 2x for a marginal visual leap or something that needs even more expensive hardware to be fully appreciated, more power to them.

are you really calling the jump from 1080p to 4k marginal upgrade?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I figure he meant crispness. I guess 1440p doesn't scale that well to 4K, but it might depend on the TV.
I think the argument was that larger screens require a higher resolution so the pixel density is the same. But it would be much harder to notice individual pixels on a 50 inch HDTV at a 10 foot viewing distance than a 27 inch monitor at a 2 foot viewing distance.

Oct 25, 2017
Ive played a bunch at 4k and having to go back to 1080p isnt an issue at all for me. Honestly 4k doesn't matter much to me

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
On 55" display I can't see the diff between 1440p and 4k.

But from 1080p is really easy to get the diff.

Maybe 4K works better on 65" or higher but a decent display with 65" is really expensive.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
1440p should have been its own poll option! That sweet sweet 2k res is the good spot for gaming right now, imo.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
1440p > 1080p. 4K is great but not necessary. I feel like 1440 has the right amount of sharpness that 1080 is lacking...especially on bigger screens.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
Having a 43" display to game on and being a about 4-5 feet away from the screen, there isn't enough difference for me to game at 4K nor do I have any desire. Usually run games at 1440p and it looks quite nice from where I play.

Also, FPS over resolution every time.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I have a plasma tv that I don't want to replace as long as it works, so 1080p is absolutely fine to me, even more so if they can put the extra power to get 60fps.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm torn on it. Still on 1080p mainly because I haven't felt like upgrading either of our 55" TVs that are still fine as it's wasteful. But I have friends with 4k and games and UHD discs do look noticeably better. But on the other hand we still watch a lot of cable and that's mostly 1080i and we have a 1TB data cap that we we come close to some months and would blow by if streaming above 1080p. We also sit pretty far from the living room TV (open room, probably 12 feet or more) and my gaming tv (about 9', though I'd upgrade to a 65" there). I'm also confused on how important it is to wait for HDMI 2.1 and even if I didn't wait I'd still need to replace my receiver as it's not 4k passthrough capable.

So I'm just in wait and see mode. I guess I'll just dig more into the importance of HDMI 2.1 and once I figure out the wait or not decision there I'll start looking for deals on a lower range receiver (not an audiophile at all) and once that's done I'll save up and look for deals in a decent mid range-ish TV.

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution only really matters in VR anymore. At least for me. We reached a point of diminishing returns when we hit 1080p at that point it started to feel more like a reason to sell new tvs and less like an increase in my visual enjoyment.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I very much agree OP, and I worry that the push for 4K will bring about some games similar to early PS4/XB1 games; shiny new toys for a moment but broken, buggy, and incomplete.

but that's just me, and more power to the people who see the difference and want it.

Jan 31, 2019
I was looking at upgrading my 60 inch 1080p tv to a new 4K panel in preparation for ps5. Then I remembered that I would also need to upgrade my 5.1 receiver (not 4K compatible) to get surround sound. I also realized that to take advantage of high frame rates I may need a VRR (variable refresh rates) compatible set. Altogether this would be a massive price hit and pain in the behind just to get a few more pixels that I probably will have to pause the game to notice.
The hell with it. I have decided to stick with 1080p for the foreseeable future. I'm a Nintendo gamer for the most part anyway.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It's all about screensize and viewdistance ratio and if a resolution is viable depends only on that ratio. No point in 4k on 32 inch screen you're sitting 2 meter away from. On the other hand, a 65 inch screen you're sitting 2m away you start to see 1080p showing a rougher image.

If I have extra power to spare though I still increase the resolution for the tiniest details to be a tiny bit more pronounced.

But if screensize doesn't increase and view distances decrease drastically there's not much sense in 8k though. Maybe when we all can afford that 120 inch screen we're sitting 3m tops away from in our home cinema.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
1080p 144hz at the moment.

I value framerate more than resolution at the size I play at (24 inch monitor). I would be willing to go to 1440p though as long as it was 120hz+.