• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
197.jpg

Developed: Taito
Released: 1994
Platform: Arcade, Saturn, PC, PS2, Xbox
Players: 1-2

Music: Yasuhisa Watanabe

Originally released in Arcades in 94.
3e512e57e1b02312ea5defbcc8538022--elevator-s.jpg

It was later ported in 97 to Japanese Saturn, and again even later in 2006 EU and 2007 NA to PC, PS2 and Xbox in the Taito Legends 2 collection.
167241.jpg

51GcubLhdGL.AC_SX215_.jpg

giphy.gif

Gameplay consists of making your way through 6 stages. Each having a set amount of red doors you must find and enter to defuse bombs, then make your way to the end of the level to escape. There will also be blue doors you can enter to get power ups. During all this you will be attacked by enemies exiting other doors in the level, and sometimes from other sources like guys flying in on jet packs or them coming out from a pile of barrels.
giphy.gif

Choose between 3 characters. Each having different stats and load out.
giphy.gif

Kart has fast movement, but he starts with a Glock that fires the slowest of the characters. It will upgrade into an AK-47 or a grenade launcher. His sub weapon is a grenade that will explode once and will clear 1 floor.

Edie who has slower movement than Kart, but makes up for that by having faster firing speed with her default Beretta. Her gun can upgrade to a MP5K or an Arwen 37 riot gun. Her sub weapon is fire bombs that explode and burn a small area for a little bit of time. Any enemy that walks into the flames die instatly.

Jad is the slowest, but has higher health than the other characters and his fire speed is faster than Kart. His default Desert Eagle can upgrade into a M60 machine gun or an 80mm recoilless rifle. His sub weapon Sensor Bomb are basically proxy mines, they will explode on any enemy that gets near them.

Beyond your default weapons stages will be littered with hazards you can use against the enemies, and also things like broken walls or sandbags that you can use for cover.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Fun set pieces and stage openings.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

So I hope this elevated the game for you a bit, and maybe you'll want to get in on this action and return here to talk about it! Sorry about that I'll go.
ELVACTR--Elevator%20Action%20Returns%20Ver%2022O%2019950220_Jun11%2018_18_29.png

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes! This is one of favourite arcade games. The only thing disappointing was that there were so few games like it left in the arcades at the time. Almost everything 2d was fighters and shooters.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Loved the original Elevator Action when I was a child, always wanted to play Returns but thought it was Arcade only... how are the ports?

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Yes! This is one of favourite arcade games. The only thing disappointing was that there were so few games like it left in the arcades at the time. Almost everything 2d was fighters and shooters.

Really didn't help it that it came during the 3D craze.

Loved the original Elevator Action when I was a child, always wanted to play Returns but thought it was Arcade only... how are the ports?

Never played the JP Saturn version, but the Taito Collection version is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I heard about this for the first time recently when watching some old Giant Bomb content. I am not a big Elevator Action guy, but I certainly added Returns to my list of games to check out one day. It seems like a really cool game.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's a classic, I was never able to 1cc more than a few stages in tho so it's on the monumental arcade backlog

Deleted member 3082

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying this at a skating rink's little arcade and the fact that you gun down dogs (which let out a painful whine) bothered me enough that I never played it again.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
One of the GOAT arcade updates for sure. I was never able to get too far in, though.

A friend of mine got caught cheating a few years back and his now ex tossed a bunch of shit at him on from the table closest to her. One of the objects was a Saturn copy of this he had just got from ebay for a decent price. I still give him shit about it to this day.

Jockel

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin
I have the arcade version in one of my cabs right now. It's an amazing game, I often try to rope guests into playing coop.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sega Genesis Classics collection has done well for them. No idea why they haven't put out other system collections. A Saturn collection would sell gang busters.

It would do the worst out of a lineup of Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast for sure. I guess the problem is that Saturn mindshare in the west is already so low. But damnit if Konami can release a Turbografx 16 mini with some of those JP games, Sega can and should do the same with the Saturn!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
totally agreed, it's a fantastic game. I think the Saturn version unfortunately is going to 200-250 on eBay these days though 😔
A Saturn collection would sell gang busters.

id really like to think this but I think we'd both be disappointed. The genesis just had waaaaay more cultural penetration than the Saturn, especially in North America.

But something has to be done with this catalogue. original Saturn hardware is already burning out and will continue to do so. Emulation has come a long way but that's only legal for those wealthy enough to obtain the enormously expensive Saturn games out there, or lucky enough to have them from the original run.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only played the OG and shit was fucking goofy. This looks good tho.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Hamster needs to get to Taito's 90s 68000 based games asap for Arcade Archives. I'd buy the hell out of Elevator Action Returns and bunch of other stuff really (Bubble Symphony/Memories, PuRiLuRa, Liquid Kids, Runark, Darius Gaiden, Space Invaders '95, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, Puzzle Bobble 2X/3/4, Arkanoid Returns, Dungeon Magic, RayForce, etc).

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
totally agreed, it's a fantastic game. I think the Saturn version unfortunately is going to 200-250 on eBay these days though 😔

id really like to think this but I think we'd both be disappointed. The genesis just had waaaaay more cultural penetration than the Saturn, especially in North America.

But something has to be done with this catalogue. original Saturn hardware is already burning out and will continue to do so. Emulation has come a long way but that's only legal for those wealthy enough to obtain the enormously expensive Saturn games out there, or lucky enough to have them from the original run.

It just has so many great games that have never been ported. I'm sure between us oldies buying it mixed with people who find out about these games from word of mouth it would do alright. Load that thing up with big hitters like the Working Design games, the 3 Panzer Dragoon games, Legend of Oasis, Dark Savior, Saturn Bomberman, Guardian Heroes, Astal, Three Dirty Dwarves, Radiant Silvergun, Elevator Action Returns, Die Hard Arcade (Licensing would most likely be tough). If you load it up with enough big games on there it should do well.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Rather beautifully animated, and fun, co op adventure. Getting to play it on the Taito collection (along with things like Dungeon Magic and Cleopatra's Fortune) provide great times. I'd love to see more games like it. And more games with it's era of anime art, for that matter.

Man, the PS3 one was SO UGLY compared to this beauty, lol. Though I had fun with it, to be sure.
8be9e626a254e982375ef81ea70fa014fd1f7843-157125.jpg

Imagine such a game with the faux-2D look of something like GranBlue VS? I'd really love to see other devs (coughSNKcough) try their hand at such styles, in games that are even more arcade-y.

Or imagine Natsumi Atari / Tengo Project (Ninja Warriors Once Again, Wild Guns Reloaded) making a modern sprite version. Would be gorgeous.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Never played this before but I really enjoyed Elevator Action EX for gba when I was younger. Looks like they've built upon the foundation of elevator action Returns.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The PS2/Xbox compilations aren't that rare. The filtered graphics are kind of blurry but it's still a good alternative to paying way more for the Saturn version.

I used to have the PS2 compilation. I saw there's a PC version but it's disc only.

In this day and age of digital storefronts I've no idea why Taito doesn't have this on every platform.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have this on Saturn, great game.

Saturn mini? I would've bought it yesterday. But I doubt the mass demand is there.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was so disappointed when that PS3 Elevator Action was nothing like it (lost all interest).

Mubbed

Oct 26, 2017
One of the best games of all time.

Managed to 1CC it and it was engaging the whole way through.

Deleted member 25870

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One of my favorite Saturn releases; which is the definitive way to play it IMO. There were all kinds of emulation issues in the Legends releases.

I really wish we could get a rerelease or remaster for this in the spirit of Ninja Warriors Again and Wild Guns Reloaded.

Edie is almost broken. Her smaller size and napalm makes her by far the easiest character to play through the game with.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
It's so damn good. And it's not hard to play at all thanks to its presence on all three versions of Taito Legends 2.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
It's so damn good. And it's not hard to play at all thanks to its presence on all three versions of Taito Legends 2.

Not calling you out or anything but those collections are coming up on twenty years old, and I think people overestimate the practicality of playing a lot of PS2-era games nowadays.

As someone that has fond memories of Elevator Action in my childhood, I had no idea that this existed.

There's another sequel released exclusively on PS3 via PSN called Elevator Action Deluxe.

Hamster needs to get to Taito's 90s 68000 based games asap for Arcade Archives. I'd buy the hell out of Elevator Action Returns and bunch of other stuff really (Bubble Symphony/Memories, PuRiLuRa, Liquid Kids, Runark, Darius Gaiden, Space Invaders '95, Gun Frontier, Metal Black, Puzzle Bobble 2X/3/4, Arkanoid Returns, Dungeon Magic, RayForce, etc).

It'll be a long time before F3 games show up on Arcade Archives. Even M2 struggled with it--they did Darius Gaiden on the recent Darius compilation and the original unpatched version is way off and easily the most inaccurate thing M2's ever done. (It's fine now, but they had to dig up a ton of heretofore-lost documentation from Taito and completely rewrite their emulator to fix it.)

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
MY BROthers played this in arcades they were blown away by the individual shell casings
We bought it years later on sega Saturn via import, beat probably 20 times
I really liked it

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The Sega Genesis Classics collection has done well for them. No idea why they haven't put out other system collections. A Saturn collection would sell gang busters.
Sadly I don't think it would. It's a fantastic machine and deserves to sell loads but it simply wouldn't have mass market appeal.

On topic, I've always been aware of the Saturn version of EAR but didn't pick it up back in the day and it's expensive as all buggery now. :(

Jul 25, 2018
Played the Saturn version all the way through with my friend at SGDQ one year, took us 3 attempts to get through the last level. Had such a fantastic time I hunted down a copy of Taito Legends 2 so I could play it myself, even though the fact that version doesn't have the slider that lets you set the VIOLENCE to HARD unlike the Saturn version.

I will continue to state for the record that Elevator Action Returns is awesome, and then based only on name alone, there's apparently a somewhat recent-ish Elevator Action light gun game with actual elevator doors that slide open and closed in arcades called Elevator Action: Death Parade which is maybe the best possible video game name I have ever heard.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Not calling you out or anything but those collections are coming up on twenty years old, and I think people overestimate the practicality of playing a lot of PS2-era games nowadays.

There's another sequel released exclusively on PS3 via PSN called Elevator Action Deluxe.

It'll be a long time before F3 games show up on Arcade Archives. Even M2 struggled with it--they did Darius Gaiden on the recent Darius compilation and the original unpatched version is way off and easily the most inaccurate thing M2's ever done. (It's fine now, but they had to dig up a ton of heretofore-lost documentation from Taito and completely rewrite their emulator to fix it.)
I feel like if you're the type of person to get really into arcade games you probably have a CRT somewhere in your house.

Now, Taito Legends 1 is a different story. Finding a PS2 that'll play those damn blue discs these days is a challenge.

OP
OP
Rygar 8Bit

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I will continue to state for the record that Elevator Action Returns is awesome, and then based only on name alone, there's apparently a somewhat recent-ish Elevator Action light gun game with actual elevator doors that slide open and closed in arcades called Elevator Action: Death Parade which is maybe the best possible video game name I have ever heard.

Holy crap that looks cool. Didn't know this was a thing.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Played this a lot on my Saturn when it released. Still have the jp copy somewhere I think. Great title with that typical 90s japanese arcade atmosphere. It reminded me of Rolling Thunder 2 back in the days.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Taito Legends 2 version work well on a non-HW BC PS3? I'm pretty sold on playing it now. Don't believe the Xbox version is 360/Xbone BC unfortunately.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I figured F3 would be more straightforward than that being another 68000 family based platform? I mean Taito's been commercially emulating it for coming up on 2 decades now?

Hamster's started getting into late 80s / early 90s stuff from IREM and Konami at least, I was just hoping we'd start seeing Taito too soon.

bishoptl

Remember
Oct 26, 2017
Vancouver
I have the original arcade cabinet - picked it up for $200 from a colleague who was moving back to Europe and just wanted to get rid of it. Having it in my living room of my first 3 apartments was worth the pain of lugging it around for 18 years.

I should pull it out of storage...

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I figured F3 would be more straightforward than that being another 68000 family based platform? I mean Taito's been commercially emulating it for coming up on 2 decades now?

Hamster's started getting into late 80s / early 90s stuff from IREM and Konami at least, I was just hoping we'd start seeing Taito too soon.

F3 is 68020 + 68000 + two different Ensonic sound chips which are particularly CPU-intensive to emulate, so it's not as straightforward as it may seem.

I'm going off the top here but a lot of the stuff on those old Taito Memories discs was ported rather than emulated, and the accuracy and quality of the emulated games varied pretty dramatically depending on the platform (I think they were outright handled by different developers per platform). It's not that it literally hasn't been done, it's about the level of quality that can be expected.

Gotch is handling the emulation for Taito's upcoming Space Invaders compilation and I don't believe it includes any F3 SI games, of which there are a couple, but again, I don't have the list in front of me so I may be wrong.