• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
.....which essentially sounds like True Detective S4, just on another network and therefore under a different name lol.

True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto and one of the ht HBO anthology series' original stars Matthew McConaughey are reuniting for Redeemer, a drama series headlined by the Oscar winner, which has landed a script-to-series commitment at FX

Created by Pizzolatto and inspired by Patrick Coleman's debut novel The Churchgoer, Redeemer stars McConaughey as a minister-turned-dissolute security guard whose search for a missing woman in Texas leads him through a corruption-steeped criminal conspiracy, as his past and present impact and entwine around a mystery of escalating violence and deceit

Looks like an obvious attempt to kickstart a second McConaissance after the first bombed out fairly quickly. Ah well, I loved TD S1 and liked S3, and McConaughey hasnt done anything as good since, so I'm game.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for McConaughey coming back with something solid. Pizzaman seems to have learned the error of his True Detective S2 ways, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he was ok in the gentleman. though Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell stole the show in that movie.

Oct 31, 2017
I loved True Detective Season 1. Didn't bother watching the others after the really negative reception towards S2, but I'm not really sure how the third season turned out tbh. Hope this is good!

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I loved True Detective Season 1. Didn't bother watching the others after the really negative reception towards S2, but I'm not really sure how the third season turned out tbh. Hope this is good!

S3 was solid, but never reaches the highs of S1. It had some great performances from Mahershala Ali, Stephen Dorff, and Scoot McNairy and some strong cinematography but the story was pretty underwhelming by the end. Still a big improvement over S2 though.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Good let this bomb too, and then pizza man won't get another thing greenlit. 2nd season was the directir unchecked, and it was terrible. S1 was lightning in a bottle.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True Detective S3 secretly has the two best leads of the entire series, no joke.

Y'all who only saw S1 are seriously sleeping on some quality TV.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True Detective S3 secretly has the two best leads of the entire series, no joke.

Y'all who only saw S1 are seriously sleeping on some quality TV.

this. It was great watching them play off each other. it helps that after 1 and 2 I wasn't expecting some mind bending plot resolution, so I could enjoy the performances more.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the scrapped idea from Pizzaman that was supposed to be for the next season of True Detective?

As of January 2019, Pizzolatto was developing a storyline for a potential fourth season; however, in April, he abandoned that storyline—saving it for another series or film—and started working on a new storyline that he had discussed with an undisclosed actor.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
McConaughey did great work with this material but also Fukunaga is a dope director too. This news only gets fairly interesting if they grab an interesting director to helm the series. Pizzolato by himself is just ok.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
This is in line with my interests and I appreciate the heads up. But,

as someone who grew up with a name that was easy to make fun of,

please do not do this.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Was searching for an update on this, hope they have a lot of the pre-production done so can get to filming as soon as possible after Covid is dealt with in some way.

Starving for True Detective-like content.

Also really curious what creative team HBO will put together for TD, I can totally see them going forwards without Nic.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
The central mystery and mood is not as captivating as S1 but I think S3 is better. Ali did a fantastic job and there were some great sequences/dialogue. The themes and characters appealed to me more than S1. "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn". Pizzolato has a good recovery after S2.

Oh and am I the only one who finds the pizza man joke stale and tasteless?