• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's going to be a sham.

My hope is that it's as messy a sham as possible. Make sure they're dragged on this throughout the entire election cycle.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Four days for opening statements followed by four days of questioning and potentially followed up by more witnesses doesn't seem "rushed" to me. How long should they spend?

It absolutely IS rushed. Plus, there seems to be no intention of any witnesses being called. You'd be hard pressed to find a criminal trial last 6 days.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
We're all seeing the birth of a potential dictatorship here.

If Trump and the GOP win this fall, this country's toast.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
Four days for opening statements followed by four days of questioning and potentially followed up by more witnesses doesn't seem "rushed" to me. How long should they spend?
Mitch is proposing a resolution tomorrow morning to shorten trial proceedings. What you're seeing is the current schedule. It'll be debated on tomorrow morning. Required GOP senators to flip is 4 as mentioned above. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Did Pelosi have to turn over the articles of impeachment? If not, why didn't she keep them in the House indefinitely? It's clear McConnell was going to orchestrate this sham trial and now Trump will be able to brag about being acquitted. What is she thinking?

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I started to read through Trump's legal briefing and holy shit:

First, conviction of a President raises particularly profound issues under our constitutional structure because it means overturning the democratically expressed will of the people in the only national election in which all eligible citizens participate. The impeachment power permits the possibility that "the legislative branch [will] essentially cancel the results of the most solemn collective act of which we as a constitutional democracy are capable: the national election of a President."

This is a terrifying statement irrespective of your stance on whether or not the president is right or wrong. I know they have been playing the "can't overturn the will of the people, bla bla" card the whole time, but to suggest that this is a basis on which a president can't be convicted is... down right horrifying.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

This is a terrifying statement irrespective of your stance on whether or not the president is right or wrong. I know they have been playing the "can't overturn the will of the people, bla bla" card the whole time, but to suggest that this is a basis on which a president can't be convicted is... down right horrifying.

30% of America wants a monarchy again. I think once some Americans realized democracy includes rights for colored people, non-Christians, and people that aren't straight, they decided that freedom was a threat to monoculture.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Such fucking bullshit that the most powerful politician in this country of 340,000,000 people was elected by only 800,000 people.

It's the same country where the Dakotas have less than 2 million combined but get 4 Senators while California with 40 million gets 2. The constitution was a mistake. And it will never be fixed in our hyperpartisan era.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I wish forever misery on him and his family
Trying to figure out your thought process here. McConnel is a piece of shit. But why take it out on his family? You know nothing about them to decide if their good people or not?

I'll never understand the ridiculous guilt by association some of you guys spew here. Not like his family can even pick and choose family members.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

Yes this portion of their impeachment brief is basically saying "fuck impeachment and fuck the constitution regardless of whether I'm guilty or not, because obviously the people want me here, or else they wouldn't have voted for me." And that's their legal argument in this constitutional crisis called impeachment, a mechanism utilized to protect our constitution, government, and country. It makes sense 🙃

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
It's the same country where the Dakotas have less than 2 million combined but get 4 Senators while California with 40 million gets 2. The constitution was a mistake. And it will never be fixed in our hyperpartisan era.
The senate is a mistake

their roles really should be reversed.
Knock senator terms to 2 years, and have Representatives have the powers of the senate but with 4 year terms and also alternating
And I think you could fix this country.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how people from the US don't take the streets and protest. This is bullshit.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't understand how people from the US don't take the streets and protest. This is bullshit.

Two big reasons.

1)Most Americans still have bread and circus.

2)The geography of the United States makes mass protests very difficult to organize. This isn't like Hong Kong where you can have most of the population just walk to one area to protest and go to work the next day if they want to.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

People will tell you about apathy and laziness because they've forgotten things like Occupy Wall Street, the women's marches, and the massive protests against the muslim ban. But what most Americans who are against this are feeling is futility. Mass protest does little good with this president and Senate. If you can't count on swaying politicians, and if they don't care about low approval then the only real benefit to mass protest is to galvanize supporters but as often as not, such things having no tangible results ends up having the opposite effect.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
When Trump attempts to run for a third term/aka declares himself king, will folks even rise up against it?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
So does the Justice have to abide by these rules or can he overrule and allow evidence over Senator's objections?

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand that we've reached this point. You bet your ass if there was a D next to the President's name, the GOP would not be doing this.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
GOP in 2020: "yeah.. but why we even got impeachment, though?"

as somebody who lived through the clinton impeachment it's darkly hilarious

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
The Senate trial was always going to a sham. Part of me wishes that Nancy never sent the articles over.

I said a week or two back that sending them is a mistake. There will be no witnesses and Trump can claim victory at the height of campaigning once exonerated. This is going to go lighting fast and be over in a few days.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah fuck his grandchildren! And his daughters! And those horrible nieces and nephews of his. They deserve forever misery! This doesn't sound ridiculous to you?

The fuck is wrong with some of you here.
agreed, there's a lot of irresponsible wishing going on in this thread. if a shooting star was going by when they made that wish, that would be pretty unjust.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
I still believe Pelosi has something up her sleeve. I dont know what but I just got a feeling

32X4LYF

alt account
Banned
Dec 25, 2019
Only one side has to be civil.

Funny how that works.

If you or anyone else can't see how wishing "forever misery" on his family, who has absolutely nothing to do with his buffoonery, is just so incredibly stupid I don't know what to say. The whole thought process has the emotional maturity a 7 year old would have.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
McConnell is a giant piece of shit but it's not like removing him would end the GOP's antics. A new majority leader would take his place who would surely be just as bad (think Grassley or Lindsey Graham).

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Pelosi and the house got played. They should've waited a couple more months to let this percolate a bit longer.