• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not counting the snap.

Loki already happened, but when do you think they'll start wheeling out dead characters for reals and not just as cameos/flashbacks? Not that it's a bad thing but if it happens in comics then I'm guessing it'll happen in the movies too.
I imagine someone like Ultron could emerge again. Maybe they could even find a way to bring Quicksilver back as well.
Would people be cool with it?

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please, no.

I'm so fucking sick of Loki, I don't need that with anyone else.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
It has been a few months since I last read Infinity Gauntlet, but I believe Adam Warlock reversed the effects of Thanos's genocide by having the gems reverse any deaths that occurred as a result of the gems. If they follow a similar path in the films, we could see characters like Quicksilver, Ultron, etc. return, as they were all taken out as a result of actions connected to the Infinity Stones (Quicksilver killed by Ultron, Ultron and Quicksilver were powered by stones; Ultron was finished by Vision, who had a stone in his head). Plus, this is like a one-time maguffin, so it doesn't open a door for deaths to constantly be overturned, just in this instance, because of these deus ex machina.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if we'll get a new Quicksilver. I could see them recasting, depending on what Aaron Taylor Johnson's contract was. Might not even be Pietro but some kinda third sibling or whatever.

Edit: Loki show feasibly could be a prequel, he's over a thousand years old. Although he's presumably a bit more evil inclined prior to his full MCU arc.

OP
OP
Strangelove_77

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly asking because of villains. Dormamu could still be a main antagonist, right? Or is he done forever?
I know he's not dead but he might as well be.
Same with Red Skull. Or Kaceiluis.

Oct 31, 2017
Quicksilver's actor still had movies left in his contract. I'll be surprised if he doesn't at least appear in Endgame

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
They can probably avoid this since permanent death is more practical when actors age out or want out of the MCU. Even Jackman couldn't be Wolverine forever.

... though Disney has been perfecting their CGI dead actor tech. Hmmmm...

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Would Bucky count? I'm sure it was planned from the start, but if you didn't know much about the comics (like me), he's just Cap's random friend who "died" in the first movie then came back ~4 years later.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It has been a few months since I last read Infinity Gauntlet, but I believe Adam Warlock reversed the effects of Thanos's genocide by having the gems reverse any deaths that occurred as a result of the gems. If they follow a similar path in the films, we could see characters like Quicksilver, Ultron, etc. return, as they were all taken out as a result of actions connected to the Infinity Stones (Quicksilver killed by Ultron, Ultron and Quicksilver were powered by stones; Ultron was finished by Vision, who had a stone in his head). Plus, this is like a one-time maguffin, so it doesn't open a door for deaths to constantly be overturned, just in this instance, because of these deus ex machina.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Adam Warlock tease in GOTG2. Wonder if we'll finally see him in GOTG3.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
At some point, whoever they kill off at the end of End Game will come back at the next mega event in 6-8 years... "The Rebirth of Captain America" or whatever.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Adam Warlock tease in GOTG2. Wonder if we'll finally see him in GOTG3.

For the record, I don't think warlock will be in Endgame. Just that the action he took, reversing deaths due to the stones, could give them an avenue for resurrection without overdoing it.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever the find someone as good or better than the original actor.

But considering they've sold America at large on Thor, Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy etc. they're gonna dig deep in their reservoir before they bother resurrecting the original cast.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 movies in and they've barely killed anyone in the first place. Not counting Infinity War which will all be reversed in Endgame anyway.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Whedon said it's not canon and he's never been seen in the MCU movies since his death in Avengers 1. I would say it's not canon

He did not say this.

You are referring to an interview that was taken out of context where Whedon talks about how you couldn't just have Coulson show up in the films because it would confuse casual viewers. Millions and millions and millions more people watched Age of Ultron than watch any single TV show, especially a genre show like AoS so you have to write the movie in a way that keeps this in mind.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'm STILL confused about this. Is Agents of Shield canonical or not? I've never seen the show.

Like the Netflix shows, it's a One way street.

You won't have stuff from downstream interact with the movies, but the movies can influence the world of the EU.

Loki's series is about him messing around with humanity throughout history. The premise implies it's before Infinity War.

Everything is possible at this point, but that last Loki line in Infinity War will have a payoff in Endgame, I am sure of it.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Yet none of the characters from TV have shown up in the movies.

That's not entirely true. Coulson has shown up. And events that have taken place in the show have shown up in the movie, like Fury finding the helicarrier in Age of Ultron. Yes, it could technically be explained away in a different way, but they literally found that helicarrier and delivered it to Fury in the show. You can't keep moving goalposts for what you think does or does not make it in-continuity.

Not only would it confuse the millions of people that watch the movies but not the shows if they were more elaborately intertwined, the show literally isn't even broadcast in all of the territories where the movies are released. You can ignore AS, and that's fine, but it is most certainly firmly in continuity.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I suspect/hope that Loki is gone for good. His shit was tired as fuck.

And I would hope other characters aren't coming back (outside the snap, obvs), because there's just so many more out there. We don't need to rehash things.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Quicksilver's actor still had movies left in his contract. I'll be surprised if he doesn't at least appear in Endgame
There were versions of the Age of Ultron script that kept Quicksilver alive. There were also versions which featured Captain Marvel (they even shot some stuff) stuff changes.

Just because he has films left in his contracts doesn't mean anything. Just means Marvel/Disney were hedging their bets.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn a lot of one-off villians also had multiple movie contracts despite being killed off or having no plans to bring them back.

Oct 31, 2017
Most actors in these films have contracts for multiple movies even if they're one-offs. Even the kid from IM3 had a 3 movie contact.

Wow, that's crazy.
I don't believe this is true. The story that has gone around is that he only took the role with the promise that it was one-and-done.

I thought I remember hearing it from him in an interview that he had films left but maybe I'm mistaken. It does seem like multiple film contracts are standard for Marvel

There were versions of the Age of Ultron script that kept Quicksilver alive. There were also versions which featured Captain Marvel (they even shot some stuff) stuff changes.

Just because he has films left in his contracts doesn't mean anything. Just means Marvel/Disney were hedging their bets.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn a lot of one-off villians also had multiple movie contracts despite being killed off or having no plans to bring them back.

Captain Marvel stuff in Ultron? Whoa. I'd love to hear more about that.

The only reason I think Quicksilver would have a cameo is the flashbacks in the trailer and that he had films left so it seems like an easy cameo that would be awesome

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The comics don't have to pay RDJ's inflatable paycheck every time they bring back a main character. These stars aren't getting any less mainstream, look how Dave Bautista and Chris Pratt have exploded since Guardians.

Recasting? Possibly I guess. I do honestly think they'd struggle. I don't know if a James Bond actor has ever been as loved as certain MCU characters. Can you imagine Luke Skywalker being recast? Harry Potter? These are icons.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Joss really wanted to have Carol in the "New Avengers" group shot at the end. The idea was that it would be the first time we meet her, in costume and everything, and I assume we would find out about her origin and what led up to that moment in a solo film.

They changed their minds as it would have been too much and Feige didn't want that being the first time we meet the character.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia

The only reason I think Quicksilver would have a cameo is the flashbacks in the trailer and that he had films left so it seems like an easy cameo that would be awesome

Carol Danvers appeared in earlier drafts of the movie as Captain Marvel. Marvel feared introducing her without explaining who she was would be too confusing for casual viewers, so they decided to wait and introduce her in her own movie instead. This was changed so late in production that Whedon had actually shot the live-action plates for her entrance. The shots were later used for when Scarlet Witch joins the New Avengers.

Quicksilver in scenes set in the past is different than bringing him back from the dead. He could totally appear in pre-death scenes but I doubt we'll see him alive and well.