• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the Adam Warlock tease in GOTG2. Wonder if we'll finally see him in GOTG3.

They're not going to deus ex Adam in Endgame.

However, Adam's role in the comic came from his link to the soul stone, and I think a similar role could be done by MCU characters who have links to the stones.

Vision and the mind stone
Carole and the space stone
Gamora and the soul stone.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At the end they could just wish for the infinity stones to never have been found in the first place and just like that everything is fixed and new heroes emerge due to time travel tampering shenanigans.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Like, 50% died in Infinity War. they're coming back. MCU has zero problems with bringing bad dead characters.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Carol Danvers appeared in earlier drafts of the movie as Captain Marvel. Marvel feared introducing her without explaining who she was would be too confusing for casual viewers, so they decided to wait and introduce her in her own movie instead. This was changed so late in production that Whedon had actually shot the live-action plates for her entrance. The shots were later used for when Scarlet Witch joins the New Avengers.

Quicksilver in scenes set in the past is different than bringing him back from the dead. He could totally appear in pre-death scenes but I doubt we'll see him alive and well.

Did they have an actor cast for Captain Marvel?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's as canon as anything in the world of comics, which means it's canon until it isn't.
I know they did some stuff with skrulls and kree in the show after I stopped watching. Does it do anything that doesnt work with the MCU timeline as far as those two races go?

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I know they did some stuff with skrulls and kree in the show after I stopped watching. Does it do anything that doesnt work with the MCU timeline as far as those two races go?
No skrulls... Yet. Kree are prominent in the latest season and appear like they have in the movies...for the most part. I think they've had one good Kree, a couple dead Kree and a bunch or future Kree they don't yet exist.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
They're not going to deus ex Adam in Endgame.

However, Adam's role in the comic came from his link to the soul stone, and I think a similar role could be done by MCU characters who have links to the stones.

Vision and the mind stone
Carole and the space stone
Gamora and the soul stone.

Can't wait to see if they use these 3 as guardians of their stones in the Infinity Watch!

Give Wanda the Reality stone, so she can House of M shit down the road.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I think one of the benefits of the MCU is death can generally be permanent. There are exceptions of course. Ultron can easily have slipped a kernel of his AI somewhere and come back. Somebody like Red Skull was never confirmed dead, and in fact for years what happened (got teleported away) was theorized about. Everybody that got dusted can and likely will come back.

But bringing back other people with definitive deaths not tied to events that are "easily" reversed or explained will weaken the MCU. Even logically actors age and grow tired of playing characters or never wanted to be in a bunch of movies. It's a necessity to eventually kill off or retire characters, so why not avoid meddling with unnecessarily bringing back dead characters?

EDIT: I would also add that occasionally you can play with the idea of bringing back a dead character and it going wrong, but that's a very precarious storytelling device. The idea of Wanda gaining or realizing she has more power and bringing back her brother only for him to come back without a soul and evil could work, but given the relatively short period we have for something like that, again, it's probably best to be avoided.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Up until Infinity War, Loki never actually died though.

I actually hope the dead characters stay dead, tbh.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
probably Endgame to an extent.
Gamora is the only one that died for realz and she'll be back.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is a little premature because if you aren't including the snap not many have even died. Loki never died so he doesn't count. This thread would make more sense after the the sequel to Infinity War when we actually have deaths.

Oct 29, 2017
Unlike in comics, actual actors get old/don't want to do the role anymore. So it would be natural to have permanent deaths or retirements in the movies.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
The comics don't have to pay RDJ's inflatable paycheck every time they bring back a main character. These stars aren't getting any less mainstream, look how Dave Bautista and Chris Pratt have exploded since Guardians.

Recasting? Possibly I guess. I do honestly think they'd struggle. I don't know if a James Bond actor has ever been as loved as certain MCU characters. Can you imagine Luke Skywalker being recast? Harry Potter? These are icons.

I bet people had the same arguments when Batman was re-invented in '89 :D All characters can be re-imagined, some will just be much harder to pull off than others. Like the Xmen, some supporting ones like Storm has been recast once a week, but Wolverine remains a hard nut to crack. But surely not impossible, just needs the right actor, the right idea and the right time to introduce it.

OP
OP
Strangelove_77

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who is even asking for this?

Dozens of us.

In all seriousness it'd be a good way to give these types of one note villains a second chance to flesh them out.
It's why I'd like Red Skull and Kaecilius to return. They could do more with these characters.

Also, Ronan just looks cool.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the characters who have died For Real(TM) are villains or characters whose role in the plot has basically ended (Heimdal).

There's really no reason to bring back Malekith or Ultron.