• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Our fridge needs a new compressor. Luckily it's covered under warranty still, otherwise we'd be fridge shopping ASAP.

This obviously puts in a position where we're limited with what we can make since we 1) can't keep meat/dairy/etc in the fridge and 2) don't want to make things that will yield a lot of leftovers.

We're tired of takeout after two days.

What are some things we can make that will be convenient to do so not having a working fridge? I'm fine with going to the store and getting any meat or whatever right before we make it, but looking for ideas on things that are small in quantity.

Oh! And kid friendly foods are a bonus - have a 3.5 year old that's not a picky eater, but typically doesn't like things involving rice or noodles other than spaghetti.

The brand is LG if anyone is curious. We had someone out to diagnose it a few weeks ago and they deemed it was a faulty control board. So we paid to replace that (parts + labor), then this weekend everything stopped working. Lost everything in both the fridge and freezer. :( Now, they're saying that the compressor is likely what blew out the original control board.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pasta and pasta sauce can work, if you don't make too much. Rice will work, as well, though it'll be harder to make anything to go with it. You can put soy sauce or furikake or pork sung on it, though.

Fresh veggies generally don't need to be refrigerated, either. Nor bread and butter.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buy a roasted chicken from Costco. Regular supermarkets sell them too. YOu can make wraps or fajitas with them.

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
Make steamed rice. Learn to love spam.

Get an igloo dude. That way you can easily keep eggs or cold cuts chilled. Then you can have sandwiches. Although I heard it's not necessary to keep eggs cold, I don't know. Instant ramen and pasta are very good suggestions.

edit: you'd need to buy ice of course

Oct 25, 2017
My power was off a week after Irma. Lived on dry oatmeal, canned fish, canned veggies, and peanut butter.

Have fun!

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Buy a roasted chicken from Costco. Regular supermarkets sell them too. YOu can make wraps or fajitas with them.
I can second this, rotisserie chicken is a good option.

Other ideas:
  • Tuna Sweetcorn baked potatoes with roasted vegetables
  • Buy some UHT milk, no need for refrigeration, tastes different obviously
  • Chorizo doesn't need to be in fridge: Chorizo Beans on Toast
  • Pancakes with aforementioned UHT milk
  • Pan fried potatoes or home made fries
  • Fancy restaurants

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
An ice chest will let you keep some stuff cool enough, like lunch meat, sausage, hot dogs, and even burger meat. As well as your usual condiments. Think of it like a camping trip, except you're at home.

Oct 27, 2017
How about Spaghetti Aglio e Olio? It's fast, easy, and all you need is the pasta, olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes and parmesan. You can also get some prepared sauces that can be kept on the shelf to have with pasta. Then supplement with a daily buy of fruit and vegetables.

I had my fridge stop cooling in August, so I know it's a pain in the butt. Luckily for me, my freezer section was still working so I still had decent options until the repair happened. I hope you have your fridge back in order soon.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Baked potatoes, roasted eggplant, steamed broccoli. You can combine veggies with lots of pasta combinations. Canned beans can be made in to a soup along with vegetables. Buy some bouillon or broth to use/

jmelons

Oct 31, 2017
We're tired of takeout after two days.

RIjDtWf.gif

I'd go with snacking on fruit (apples, oranges, grapes, etc.) then smaller, simple dishes for the meal. Maybe PB&J.

Honestly though, most food can last a day or two left on the stove top. When I make enchiladas, I leave the sauce in the pan for 2-3 days and it's fine. Shouldn't fear leaving it out.
Things I wouldn't mind leaving out (just toss in oven a day or two later):
Fajitas/BBQ/Grilled Meat
Pizza
Roasted chicken
Enchilada Sauce

You get the idea.