• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
Measles cases worldwide rose by 300% during the first three months of 2019 compared with the same period last year, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said, amid growing concerns over the impact of anti-vaccination campaigns, particularly spread through social media.

Measles, which is highly contagious, can be entirely prevented with a two-dose vaccine, but for some time the WHO has been warning about declining global vaccination rates.

"Preliminary global data shows that reported cases rose by 300% in the first three months of 2019, compared to the same period in 2018. This follows consecutive increases over the past two years," it said in a statement.

So far this year, 170 countries have reported 112,163 measles cases to the WHO. At this time last year, 163 countries had reported 28,124 cases.

"Spikes in case numbers have also occurred in countries with high overall vaccination coverage, including the United States," the WHO said. "The disease has spread fast among clusters of unvaccinated people."

Unicef said 98 countries reported rising numbers of measles cases in 2018 compared with 2017, including some that had eradicated the disease. Ukraine, the Philippines and Brazil had the biggest increase in numbers.

But there is also concern over Africa, which has less vaccine coverage than other regions. WHO says its Africa region had the biggest rise in cases in the last three months compared with the same time last year – a 700% increase.
Source
Not a good outlook...

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
at least when all the antivaxxers get it and die, the argument about how "i didn't vaccinate and I'm fine!" wont be tolerated.

This is stupid, and it wont be going away with the rise of ignorant ass people winning elections worldwide.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at least when all the antivaxxers get it and die, the argument about how "i didn't vaccinate and I'm fine!" wont be tolerated.

This is stupid, and it wont be going away with the rise of ignorant ass people winning elections worldwide.

Their children and their immunocompromised loved ones pay the price, as well as the rest of society that doesn't react to the vaccine, or can't get it because they're allergic to something. There needs to be personal consequences for anti-vaxxers, because they don't even give a fuck about their own children dying. We're well past the point of hoping it'll go away. This is a global health issue and it's now dangerous to have kids and go in public. Vaccines need too be mandatory yesterday.

I know the odds are slim, but the last thing we need is for one of these deadly diseases to mutate and leave everybody vulnerable.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Antivaxx rhetoric is bioterrorism. Period. It needs to stop being handled with kid gloves and needs to start being handled like the pandemic danger it is.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunate children died of measles for generations. Which is why vaccines were embraced. Part of that is so that we could reduce unfortunate children getting killed by disease. There isn't any other outcome here.
What I meant was that it is especially the children of antivaxxers who pay the price for their parents' bioterrorism

Oct 27, 2017
We wouldn't allow you to dump your septic tank into the river, why the fuck would we allow you into public if you're a vector for deadly diseases!?

I feel like we're going to kill ourselves off before climate change does.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
No one should be exempt from vaccinations unless they have a medical incompatibility. Also doctors shouldn't be issuing those kinds of incompatibilities for parents who say that their kids are without any testing.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What I meant was that it is especially the children of antivaxxers who pay the price for their parents' bioterrorism

They don't care about their own children. Which is the problem. Yes, hopefully after their children die from this shit, antivaxxers will stop pursuing it. They've given them a death sentence, so hopefully their deaths will lead to a positive change.

Otherwise, they're just dying for nothing.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Antivaxxers: "I'd rather risk that millions of people die than having to raise an autistic child!"

Fuck them to hell and then some!

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
When eventually something mutates and spreads to everyone, anti-vaxxers will just point and say "See! Vaccines are useless!" and intensify their stupidity.

Being anti-vaxx needs to be outlawed asap. People are just too damn stupid.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucked. It's like population control, where the idiots just fuck it up for everyone.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Reminder to everyone that if you have children, double check with their physician to ensure that their vaccines are up to date. Then, check with YOUR GP to make sure that your vaccines are up to date as well. The best way for us to fight this RIGHT NOW is to be sure that our family, our selves, and even friends, are vaccinated.

Really easy to understand run through of what you need to know can be found here (CDC).
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/mmr/public/index.html