• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
wow that's gorgeous indeed. I like how the keycaps even extend to the side.

Anyone have issues with cannonkeys? Zoom75 is calling my name but the thought of jumping in a groupbuy where there's a restocking fee for canceling makes me hesitate.
I have a cannonkeys bakaneko65, quality-wise its great, but i think 65 doesnt have enough keys and wish i went with a 75. here's a pic:

eK5brwK.jpg

bakeneko 60
gecko silent linear switches
gmk serika 2 caps

I'm considering getting a epomaker th80 pro 75% kit and moving my switches/keycaps over, but im worried it'll lose its sound and feel

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I have a cannonkeys bakaneko65, quality-wise its great, but i think 65 doesnt have enough keys and wish i went with a 75. here's a pic:

I'm considering getting a epomaker th80 pro 75% kit and moving my switches/keycaps over, but im worried it'll lose its sound and feel
The picture is showing a 60% keyboard, not 65, though. I personally agree that 75 is the perfect sweetspot if you need the function keys fairly often, which I do. If I wasn't programming, but doing almost exclusively writing, then I would probably settle for 65 or even 60, but alas.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Greetings and salutations fellows. I have decided to get back into keebs as after a few months away from guitar and massive keyboards my wrists have seemingly recovered. I've also started working with weighted clubs so I'm sure that's helped my wrist strength immensely.

Anywhoo, I know it's nothing special and I know I could have built a better one. But I got a GMMK Pro in Black Slate with white keys as a prebuilt for 208 bucks. I saw it at a best buy while I was in texas and it was 150 dollars off because it was an open box. They let me open it up and see and it wasn't even used. All the stuff was there and the cable had never even been untied. So I bought it and it's nice. It's good to have a chunky mechanical keyboard again.

I also ordered the dbrand Fuck Off key in black to compliment the all white caps and the randomfrankp topo deskmat. Thankfully it doesn't have his branding all over it so I think it looks cool.

I haven't taken any glamor shots yet. I'll update this post after I get home from work and stuff.

maeh2k

Oct 28, 2017
Munich
Thinking about buying a Filco Majestouch 3

It's probably "fine" but nowadays there are some better options.

The pre-built boards appear to be getting better. Some now come with gasket mounting, lubed switches/stabilizers, foams, ... Videos on Youtube suggest that a number of pre-builts now sound good out of the box.

The new drop CSTM80 seems promising.
The Razer BlackWidow v4 did pretty well in reviews.
The Varmilo Minilo 75% looked good to me in a recent video.
And the Keychron V series also provides a lot of value at a good price.

Beanbeany

Apr 25, 2022
Nice build, GMMK Pro is looking great there. I think you are using the Flexkit here, right?

And pretty impressive collection of handhelds too
Yes sir. But honestly its still a pretty stiff board and I'm cool with that. I think all in with this board I'm only 220 bucks so I'm not really complaining.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone recommend the Keychron K Pro Banana switches? I've been reading around seeing good things to where they are at least as good as Pandas. Thoughts?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing magnetic switches are the new hotness
For fans of linear switches it's probably pretty neat, as you can change resistance and thus have lighter or heavier switches, without needing to ever change anything. Not needing a coil would also mean that you get a much cleaner sound (no possibility for any pinging).
As someone who prefers heavy tactile switches, though, it doesn't seam very interesting. You aren't going to simulate a dynamic resistance curve with a fixed magnetic strength. The only thing that comes to mind is if you had a dynamically programmable switch that changed the strength of the magnet as you moved the switch, but I don't see that being possible for some time and it would likely massively raise the price as you now need something that can react in sub milliseconds, so above 1GHz updates per switch.

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
For fans of linear switches it's probably pretty neat, as you can change resistance and thus have lighter or heavier switches, without needing to ever change anything. Not needing a coil would also mean that you get a much cleaner sound (no possibility for any pinging).
As someone who prefers heavy tactile switches, though, it doesn't seam very interesting. You aren't going to simulate a dynamic resistance curve with a fixed magnetic strength. The only thing that comes to mind is if you had a dynamically programmable switch that changed the strength of the magnet as you moved the switch, but I don't see that being possible for some time and it would likely massively raise the price as you now need something that can react in sub milliseconds, so above 1GHz updates per switch.
think you're misunderstanding how these hall effect switches work; the resistance is still coming from a spring, not the magnet itself

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone recommend the Keychron K Pro Banana switches? I've been reading around seeing good things to where they are at least as good as Pandas. Thoughts?
I haven't tried the bananas specifically but I have the mints which to my understanding are basically similar but slightly heavier. I really like them. They feel pretty similar to my bobas on my work keyboard but they were a lot cheaper.

Oct 29, 2017
Just ordered the full-size Huntsman V3 Pro.

Was thinking about the Wooting but until a truly unified vendor independent RGB solution comes along, I will just stay in the ecosystem.

How does it compare to the Wooting? Just out of curiosity.

I don't really care about the rapid trigger functionality, I just needed something bigger than the Huntsman Mini. Is it really a game changer? I'm interested in potentially the analog functions (like controlling a car precisely) is it possible to set it up like that?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Finally, my endgame keycap set GMK Modern Ink came in the mail today.
So happy with it.
Still waiting on the international kit that I've ordered from a different site.
Funnily enough the base and novelty kit that I've ordered from Canada got here already, while the international kit that I've ordered from a German website (I live in Germany) hasn't been sent out, yet.
I know different stores get different shipments from GMK, but it's still funny that it takes longer the kit that I ordered from a local website, especially since GMK is a German company as well.

Anyways, here's the shot:

3uKHaNK.jpg

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Seeing new keyboards makes me want to buy more, especially gorgeous ones like that!

I must hold strong. I have my endgame boards. The only new keeb on the horizon is if I'm willing to challenge myself to build a wireless keeb when the Wuque Aurora R3 preorders start. (and, of course, I cannot resist new models of Akko's Sailor Moon keyboards) I have a dongle to connect my Aurora R2 to my iPad but wireless would be more convenient. (I was too intimidated to try and put together a wireless keyboard back when R2s were happening, now I feel more comfortable attempting the build.)

Keycaps, though? Mintlodica's lines are calling me. I must resist temptation.

Vincent4756

Oct 27, 2017
I'm essentially a newbie here.
I've stayed with Corsair for most of my board purchases, my k100 is starting to go out and I kinda wanted to switch up things anyway.

I've been trying to do some research and I think I want a tactile switch this time around.
Testing out the 🍒 brown switch at my local best buy was alright, but I'd prefer something maybe a little more..heavier?
I don't want super loud clicks but I do want some feedback.

I've seen alot of places recommend Keychron, some Drop and some GMMK boards.

Keycaps are another thing I'm pretty clueless on.

Guess I'm just looking for advice and/or resources.

Usage wise it's some light gaming, nothing competitive, a decent amount of typing and wfh stuff, and something that isn't super loud as my mic is right over my keyboard with my current desk setup.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Oct 25, 2017
I like my Keychon. I also like the keychron mint switches I got on my work keyboard which are basically a thiccer brown at a pretty good price. I like them as much if not more than my boba switches on my kb at home, which are way more or expensive.

Last edited:

Mr. Magic

Aug 8, 2020
I've been messing around with hot-swappable keyboards for a long time by now, starting with a Massdrop CTRL years ago. My current board is a Keychron Q1 Pro with Zeal Clickiez switches. It's my favorite keyboard I've ever had, but I've been getting the itch to move onto something new and I decided to finally build my own. I have an Anodized Purple QK75N on its way and I'm going to load it up with some Blue Bubblegum switches and throw on my violet-on-cream keycaps. I have a whole lubing set up and I'm going to practice lubing various cheaper switches and stabs I have laying around.

Here is my well loved, but soon to be retired Keychron Q1 Pro. I'm probably going to use it as a testbed for new switches after my new board is done.
The specific keycap set is the Oblotzky GMK Oblivion Monochrome set with Hagoromo alphas.
Untitled

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking for keycaps (not to buy, just for fun, at least for now) and I've noticed that... basically nobody makes LatAm Spanish layout keycaps?

I've seen European Spanish keycaps, but their layout is different from us. And sure, I don't look at the keyboard while typing, but if you are going to buy something, gotta buy something good, right? lol

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I am a bit clueless about mechanical keyboards. I have been using a Logitech G Pro keyboard for a couple of years. Lately, a number of keys have been double typing or not typing at all. What is the most likely cause of this? And what can I do to fix it, if anything? I gotta be honest, I do kinda bash the keys when I type.
I've been messing around with hot-swappable keyboards for a long time by now, starting with a Massdrop CTRL years ago. My current board is a Keychron Q1 Pro with Zeal Clickiez switches. It's my favorite keyboard I've ever had, but I've been getting the itch to move onto something new and I decided to finally build my own. I have an Anodized Purple QK75N on its way and I'm going to load it up with some Blue Bubblegum switches and throw on my violet-on-cream keycaps. I have a whole lubing set up and I'm going to practice lubing various cheaper switches and stabs I have laying around.

Here is my well loved, but soon to be retired Keychron Q1 Pro. I'm probably going to use it as a testbed for new switches after my new board is done.
The specific keycap set is the Oblotzky GMK Oblivion Monochrome set with Hagoromo alphas.
Untitled
That looks amazing. I love the keycaps. I am thinking of getting a Q1 Pro myself. I need a Mac-friendly keyboard and my current Logitech keyboard might need replacement Soon.

Mr. Magic

Aug 8, 2020
I am a bit clueless about mechanical keyboards. I have been using a Logitech G Pro keyboard for a couple of years. Lately, a number of keys have been double typing or not typing at all. What is the most likely cause of this? And what can I do to fix it, if anything? I gotta be honest, I do kinda bash the keys when I type.

That looks amazing. I love the keycaps. I am thinking of getting a Q1 Pro myself. I need a Mac-friendly keyboard and my current Logitech keyboard might need replacement Soon.

I actually used to have a Logitech G Pro that I gave to my friend a few years ago. A few months after I gave it to him, he started having those same issues. I have a feeling that just starts happening with Logitech GPro boards eventually. The one I gave him had the terrible Romer G switches in it. He plays a lot of WoW so he was definitely spamming the hell out of those keys.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I actually used to have a Logitech G Pro that I gave to my friend a few years ago. A few months after I gave it to him, he started having those same issues. I have a feeling that just starts happening with Logitech GPro boards eventually. The one I gave him had the terrible Romer G switches in it. He plays a lot of WoW so he was definitely spamming the hell out of those keys.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I have a G Pro with the blue Romer G switches. I mainly play Elder Scrolls Online. The strange thing, however, is that I always use a controller. The keyboard is just for text input, in the game and also in general use. I'm pretty sure I can't replace the switches, sadly. I'm going to try cleaning it today and see if that helps. The keyboard looks clean, though.

Mr. Magic

Aug 8, 2020
I finally had a chance to put my QK75N together on this rainy weekend. I said in a previous post that I was going to use Gateron Blue Bubblegum switches, but the spring turned out to be a little too light for my liking. Instead, I oped to use Gateron Black Ink V2s that I lubed and filmed. I sent off some spare keycaps to get a cable color matched by VoxelMods that should be here in a few weeks. Right now, I'm just using it in wireless mode.

Here it is: my QK75N in anodized purple with the FR4 plate, cream colored knob and cream screen bezel, violet on cream keycaps, with lubed and filmed Black Ink V2s. Really, really happy with how this came out. Especially for my first, serious, custom build.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to clean off and clean up my Wooting Two keyboard (the one with the optical Flaretech switches) and while I don't hate the switches, the whole board gives off a weird reverb and it's just super annoying. I've been using a Keychron Q5 (96%) with Boba U4T switches and man, yeah, ain't going back to that Wooting Two. The sound and feel is just so much higher quality as a whole.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to clean off and clean up my Wooting Two keyboard (the one with the optical Flaretech switches) and while I don't hate the switches, the whole board gives off a weird reverb and it's just super annoying. I've been using a Keychron Q5 (96%) with Boba U4T switches and man, yeah, ain't going back to that Wooting Two. The sound and feel is just so much higher quality as a whole.
I think outside of the mech board enthusiast vendors, to which I would deffo count Keychron, even if they aim at more low-cost, mainsteam part of the community, most just don't think of keyboards as things that should sound or feel some particular way. It's how some people just have super cold fluorescent lights in their house and don't see how that might be hard for others to deal with. Just different (or complete lack of) sensibilities.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I think outside of the mech board enthusiast vendors, to which I would deffo count Keychron, even if they aim at more low-cost, mainsteam part of the community, most just don't think of keyboards as things that should sound or feel some particular way. It's how some people just have super cold fluorescent lights in their house and don't see how that might be hard for others to deal with. Just different (or complete lack of) sensibilities.

It's funny, I never really noticed it as a problem, until I went back and tried it again after my current keyboard. It was like, yeah, no fucking way am I going back to the Wooting.

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
My Neo80 (tri-mode, anodized purple top/bottom w/ copper weight, POM and FR4 plates) with will be shipping out some time this month, so with some time to continue researching and tinkering, what are some of y'all's favorite keycap set makers? A friend recommended Osume, and damn, they have some gorgeous dye-sub keycaps.

As for switches, I'm waiting on some sampler sets. Next to arrive will be the tactile set from Cannonkeys. Heard really good things about their Neapolitan and Coffee Chip switches (Tecsee collabs). I'm considering an order from Dangkeebs because they let you mix and match your own switch sample kits from their huge inventory.

I'll post photos when I get the Neo80 and complete the build! Qwertykeys is still taking rolling orders for the Neo80 if anyone wants to grab one. It really came down to Gem80 VS Neo80 for me.

Darkatomz

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I've been using Corsair's mechanical keyboards with Cherry Browns for a while now, but I'm trying to move away from the annoying Corsair iCue software and wanted to get into something more custom. Dear god, the amount of info overload and level of customization is a bit overwhelming even with Reddit. There do not seem to be many places to get switch sampler sets, even from the same manufacturers. General consensus seemed to be that Gateron switches were good clones of the Cherry MX brand, so I ended up placing an order for a 35 tester set on Amazon since ordering direct from their site was slow and shipping was expensive.

I ended up focusing on the 75/80/100% Keychron Q Max keyboard line as I rather have 2.4GHz wifi and the supposed enhanced acoustic foam (not much of a price difference between them either). And then there's the height profiles which vary wildly with keycap sets no matter where I look, good luck finding colors and fonts you like as well...

The two things that I really don't want to give up are the custom G keys on the left side of the keyboard which I use for browser navigation, and the same with the numpad. Not many places that do custom numpads, but then I stumbled onto this and this on Amazon and thinking of swapping the left and right sides of the keyboard and getting a smaller model.
71nuLP3jYML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Haimu Heartbeats are an easy choice. They're cheaper than any other silent linear but perform significantly better. Just check some reviews on YouTube.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/haimu-heartbeat-silent-linear-switch

So just to go back to this from a few months back, thanks again for the recommendation on these. Finally ended up getting the 8BitDo keyboard and no surprise, Kailh whites are way too loud for me. I actually love how they feel and the click is satisfying in moderation, but even with headphones on I can hear them and I value a quiet environment far too much.

So I bought a pack of the Haimu Heartbeats to test out and it's everything I could've wanted. Feels so much better than my Corsair with MX Silents while sounding quieter to boot. Especially on the spacebar which rattles a ton on the Corsair. Gonna order a couple more packs to fill it out and have some spares.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
lol imma have to start going to goodwill electronics section more often, i found me a Red Dragon K580 RGB in decent condition!!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

8BitDo Retro Mechanical Keyboard - C64 Edition | 8BitDo

Meet the new C64 Edition from the 8BitDo Keyboard line. Packed with programmable keys and an intuitive control panel.. Compatible with Windows and Android.

I take it that the 8bitdo keyboards do NOT work on PS5? I know it's not documented in the product features but was wondering if it might lowkey be compatible.

More Sony's fault -- I know they're very restrictive of keyboard compatibility in their larger anti-3rd-party approach to accessories in general...

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
So just to go back to this from a few months back, thanks again for the recommendation on these. Finally ended up getting the 8BitDo keyboard and no surprise, Kailh whites are way too loud for me. I actually love how they feel and the click is satisfying in moderation, but even with headphones on I can hear them and I value a quiet environment far too much.

So I bought a pack of the Haimu Heartbeats to test out and it's everything I could've wanted. Feels so much better than my Corsair with MX Silents while sounding quieter to boot. Especially on the spacebar which rattles a ton on the Corsair. Gonna order a couple more packs to fill it out and have some spares.

Awesome, great to hear!

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
I take it that the 8bitdo keyboards do NOT work on PS5? I know it's not documented in the product features but was wondering if it might lowkey be compatible.

More Sony's fault -- I know they're very restrictive of keyboard compatibility in their larger anti-3rd-party approach to accessories in general...
I'm pretty sure the keyboard works fine as any other USB keyboard, it's just that the software for remapping keys is only available on Windows and Android so those are the only listed compatible platforms

thoughtloop

Apr 9, 2022
Update on my build! Typing on my finished Neo80 right now! First custom keeb build for me. Went pretty smoothly. Just took some learning and looking up some simple issues that I hadn't seen general guides covering (e.g. some switches will be installed rotated, depending on your layout and PCB). Monkeytype shows my typing seed and accuracy did go up a fair bit!

I need to take nicer photos, but for now I can share that my build is as follows:
  • Qwertykeys Neo80 (tri-mode, non flex-cut PCB)
  • "Dumbbell" gasket mount option
  • All foams
  • Gateron Quinn switches, factory lubed
  • MK Alpenglow PBT keycaps
It sounds very marbly currently. Stabs lightly lubed with GS3 from Kinetics Labs. It just feels... Really refined and joyful to type on. Previously I've used exclusively mechanical keyboards, but always pre-builts with some sort of tactile, soldered switch. This build is several orders of magnitude better to type on. No comparison.

Aug 27, 2019
Finally have my hands on and finished building my Zoom75 (and ZoomPad). The quality of this sucker does make up for the rather painful group buy wait, but I'm not sure I have the patience to sit through one again.

Paired up the non-flex cut PCB with the brass plate and some TTC Silent Bluish Whites and it's delightfully poppy in feel with a pleasantly subdued sound, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Still debating on more final caps, I put on some decent PBT caps I had laying around that I thought might look nice against the the navy colorway, and they do, but seeing the brass plate and the navy and how good that looked during the build makes me think I need to get some Blue Samurais to capture that.