• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So ever since I got the DasKeyboard Prime I had a spacebar problem, took the thing apart and there is nothing I can do since its build to not be easily repaired. What struck me is that they only use one switch for the spacebar and two support posts. Now whenever I press the space bar on either edge it dislocates and gets stuck, which is very frustrating.

I started to use the apple keyboard again, man what a shitty feeling...

Is there any mech. keyboard with a DE layout and at least some Apple specific (prints) for function/media keys?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a Redragon 552 and this thing is built like a tank. The build quality is shocking for the price. This is my first mechanical keyboard and while it uses custom switches they're supposed to be pretty good. I really like it, it's just so weird getting used to the clicky clack because after using membrane keyboards for so long it just sounds like something is constantly on the verge of breaking. Lol

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
So ever since I got the DasKeyboard Prime I had a spacebar problem, took the thing apart and there is nothing I can do since its build to not be easily repaired. What struck me is that they only use one switch for the spacebar and two support posts. Now whenever I press the space bar on either edge it dislocates and gets stuck, which is very frustrating.

I started to use the apple keyboard again, man what a shitty feeling...

Is there any mech. keyboard with a DE layout and at least some Apple specific (prints) for function/media keys?
It doesn't have a numpad, but the Varmilo VA88M Mac Edition seems to be your best bet for the combo of ISO-DE layout and Apple-specific keycap legends
https://candykeys.com/product/va88mac-iso-de

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So one question guys, is it normal that the space key disconnects on the opposite side when you press it right at the outer edge? A lot of times when I type I click the space bar with my thumb right at the edge, it disconnects and then I cant use it on that spot anymore and need to press it in the middle to make it snap back into place, since all mech. keyboards seem to have the same space bar implementation I thought I would rather ask if that is a "thing" with mech keyboard and buying another one might not even fix my "problem".

This is what happens when I press the space bar right at the age, and "not very much" force is needed to make it happen:
IMG-4885.jpg

Macnair

Oct 27, 2017
So one question guys, is it normal that the space key disconnects on the opposite side when you press it right at the outer edge? A lot of times when I type I click the space bar with my thumb right at the edge, it disconnects and then I cant use it on that spot anymore and need to press it in the middle to make it snap back into place, since all mech. keyboards seem to have the same space bar implementation I thought I would rather ask if that is a "thing" with mech keyboard and buying another one might not even fix my "problem".

This is what happens when I press the space bar right at the age, and "not very much" force is needed to make it happen:

The left stabilizer might be loose. Put some small tape on it and place the spacebar again.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sankt Ra Can you take a pic without the keycap. And the underside of the spacebar. The stems might be damaged or the stab wire came loose

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The left stabilizer might be loose. Put some small tape on it and place the spacebar again.
I put tape over the x of the stem and forced the key (space bar) in. Now it seems to be fixed :O
Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Only problem is that I have looked at other keyboard all day and now I want a new one. God damn.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's settled, once the Vortexgear Tab90M releases in ISO DE I'm going to get it.

It has a Mac mode, Mac specific keys (additional), detachable cable (usb-c), aluminum case with a small footprint. And it's color fits my mouse perfectly :D

So I ordered the ANSI version. Since I type in non German languages most of the time, at least at home, I'll make do with typing alt-o -> ö

For anyone interested there is a script (Mac ) for that. This way I will also finally lose the @ logo on the "Q" key that is on every ISO DE keyboard outside of apples own stuff, made my gf close apps/pages countless times :D

Last edited:

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017

The things that go in the stabilizer stems have been loosened up. Put Saran wrap on them and put them on.

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend 1.25 and 1.5u keys to use for modifiers? I was going to just order them as singles from WASD, but I don't know what R profile I need.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've been toying with the idea of ordering some PBT keys for my old Razer Black Widow keyboard. But at that price it almost makes more sense to buy another MX blue keyboard (you know, one that's made out of sturdy material). I just don't see how better keycaps would be worth buying over a whole new board.

Kinda crazy how that works.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Got a GMMK TKL + Zilent V2 + Keycaps Incoming.

It was cheaper to build that then dip on something like the MASSDROP CTRL in the end.

True replacement to my dying DZ X40 with Yellow Box Switches.

Will update with pics when all of the parts are here in a month.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone with experience with Halo Trues try to describe what they're to someone that's only used Cherry MX Blues for the last 4 years?

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all, somewhat new to mechanical keyboards and looking for a suggestion. I've had experience with two thus far:
- Corsair K70 with browns, which I did not really like much (maybe too much force to press? it's been a while).
- Logitech G910 (romer g tactile switches) that I love.

I don't need a numpad, so I guess I'm looking for a TKL keyboard? Willing to spend up to $150, though preferably $100 and under would be ideal. I intend to use a wrist rest with it (if it doesn't come with one), if it matters. Otherwise I am totally open. Thanks.

Zenkuso

Jan 28, 2019
Can anyone with experience with Halo Trues try to describe what they're to someone that's only used Cherry MX Blues for the last 4 years?
It's a stronger bump on the press, so it feels more tactile.

Hi all, somewhat new to mechanical keyboards and looking for a suggestion. I've had experience with two thus far:
- Corsair K70 with browns, which I did not really like much (maybe too much force to press? it's been a while).
- Logitech G910 (romer g tactile switches) that I love.

I don't need a numpad, so I guess I'm looking for a TKL keyboard? Willing to spend up to $150, though preferably $100 and under would be ideal. I intend to use a wrist rest with it (if it doesn't come with one), if it matters. Otherwise I am totally open. Thanks.
If you like the mushy feeling of romer G tactile switches then you won't find much.

It's a better designed brown switch but some people don't like the mushy bottom out.

It wouldn't be cheap if you wanted to move up that ladder as you talking about holy panda, zealios R2, box royal switches being the next step and then having the mod the stabilizers, lube the switches and a whole lot of effort for something that might be a minimal payoff for you. Honestly just get another logitech board with the same switch if you love it and be happy.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I got the Vortexgear Tab90M today. What a massive difference in quality, heft, sound and feel compared to the DasKeyboard Prime14. The Das is a rattling, lound and clumsy mess of a keyboard (booth have brown switches).

Never knew Keyboards could be this well made. Not a single key is ringing, with the Das I could almost play a melody with certain keys. It fits the iMac esthetics perfectly. Love the Mac specific Keys (the darker ones that come with the keyboard have black lettering, why I don't know), but I still had to use Karabiner for the function keys despite the keyboards ability to switch to OSX mode. Got it working by reprogramming the Keyboard itself :D

Another plus is the (detachable) USB-C connection, hate to buy new stuff that comes with anything else.

pnjs2hb7.png

Last edited:

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I preordered the Massdrop CTRL keyboard but it's really disappointing that Cherry Browns don't come with keycaps. I posted on r/mechmarket seeing if anyone was selling the keycaps but never heard anything. :-/

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I got the Vortexgear Tab90M today. What a massive difference in quality, heft, sound and feel compared to the DasKeyboard Prime14. The Das is a rattling, lound and clumsy mess of a keyboard (booth have brown switches).
Where did you order it from? Amazon does not have the browns in stock.

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
So, I had a Corsair K70 with blue switches a few years ago, and while I loved it, it developed key chatter and the RMA unit did too. I REALLY want to get back into mechanical keyboards, but I don't want to have to deal with RMA'ing them and hoping they work.

Are blue keys just prone to this or do I need to go with a different brand? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sankt Ra any final impressions after having it for 10 days or so? My finger is hovering over the order button on this. Cheers.
It's awesome. I really love it. Get it.

Some quirks I ran into:
You can't reprogram the default layer (guess it was done to always have a working layer). That means if you reprogram some stuff one of the three layer lights under the space-bar will be on all the time (red,blue,green,).

In Mac OS mode, the F Keys are not all correct right from the start and need to be reprogrammed or set up in the Mac's settings accordingly. Which is not really a problem but it's not plug and play. I think it was exposé and such that was not bound to the F Keys.

Finding the arrow keys without locking is kind of hard, that's because of the design of the board. In my eyes still a good tradeoff because it's so much smaller then a full sized keyboard.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome. I really love it. Get it.

Some quiks I ran into:
You can't reprogram the default layer (guess it was done to always have a working layer). That means if you reprogram some stuff one of the three layer lights under the space-bar will be on all the time (red,blue,green,).

In Mac OS mode, the F Keys are not all correct right from the start and need to be reprogrammed or set up in the Mac's settings accordingly. Which is not really a problem but it's not plug and play. I think it was exposé and such that was not bound to the F Keys.

Finding the arrow keys without locking is kind of hard, that's because of the design of the board. In my eyes still a good tradeoff because it's so much smaller then a full sized keyboard.
So does the working layer (besides the F keys) work with a Mac? Like cmd and option, etc? Would really prefer not having a light on all the time.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So does the working layer (besides the F keys) work with a Mac? Like cmd and option, etc? Would really prefer not having a light on all the time.
Yes, you can enter Mac mode on the default layer. Brightness up/down, media controls and volume controls all work.
F3-F5 are not bound to anything.

I just had to switch the "z" and "y" key positions (not used to the ANSI layout), programmed the "calc" key to open the calculator, made the "lock" key put the Mac to sleep and set the "F3" key to open the notification tab. That's all stuff that can only be done on one of the layers.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you can enter Mac mode on the default layer. Brightness up/down, media controls and volume controls all work.
F3-F5 are not bound to anything.

I just had to switch the "z" and "y" key positions (not used to the ANSI layout), programmed the "calc" key to open the calculator, made the "lock" key put the Mac to sleep and set the "F3" key to open the notification tab. That's all stuff that can only be done on one of the layers.
Wonderful. Thanks for helping me out.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is $175 a good price for a Topre Realforce 87u 55g? Or should I save $45 and buy a new Vortex Tab 75 (MX Brown)?
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4556

(This is my first mech keyboard btw)

edit: the guy said he's had it for 1.5 years

Edit Edit: Talked him down to 165. Wow after years of procrastinating and indecision, I finally have one.

The keys are a little dirty though, any tips on how to clean them? and the board? Are there any cleaning solutions I shouldn't be using?

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is $175 a good price for a Topre Realforce 87u 55g? Or should I save $45 and buy a new Vortex Tab 75 (MX Brown)?
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4556

(This is my first mech keyboard btw)

edit: the guy said he's had it for 1.5 years

Edit Edit: Talked him down to 165. Wow after years of procrastinating and indecision, I finally have one.

The keys are a little dirty though, any tips on how to clean them? and the board? Are there any cleaning solutions I shouldn't be using?

Topre keyboard for your first ever mechanical kb? Enjoy, hope you like the switches. For me and seemingly many others, they kind of ruin the clickier Cherries and such lol.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have the Zealios R2s? I have the R1s at 78g on my Poker 2 and I was wondering if I'm missing out

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Looking for a backlit mechanical keyboard on the silent end, backlight doesnt have to be fancy at all. Preferably with media controls and not a bulky "gamer gear" type thing. Any rec's?

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
Looking for a backlit mechanical keyboard on the silent end, backlight doesnt have to be fancy at all. Preferably with media controls and not a bulky "gamer gear" type thing. Any rec's?

Some more information would be useful, like do you need a numpad on your keyboard, are you looking for a keyboard with a specific language layout?

The MK Night Typist is about as cheap as you can get for a keyboard with backlighting and Silent Red switches. The silent reds are linear, but if you are fine with that they are about as quiet as you can get with mechanical switches. It is probably made by Ducky for MK.com so you might be able to assign media keys to the function layer, but I'd reach out to MK.com to confirm this functionality if I were you. If a smaller keyboard is fine, take a look at the Varmilo VA87 series.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Some more information would be useful, like do you need a numpad on your keyboard, are you looking for a keyboard with a specific language layout?

The MK Night Typist is about as cheap as you can get for a keyboard with backlighting and Silent Red switches. The silent reds are linear, but if you are fine with that they are about as quiet as you can get with mechanical switches. It is probably made by Ducky for MK.com so you might be able to assign media keys to the function layer, but I'd reach out to MK.com to confirm this functionality if I were you. If a smaller keyboard is fine, take a look at the Varmilo VA87 series.

TKL I guess is preferable, but full size is fine too. What's the quietest switch type? The Varmilo looks nice.

OP
OP
emotion engine
Oct 27, 2017
TKL I guess is preferable, but full size is fine too. What's the quietest switch type? The Varmilo looks nice.
Cherry MX Silent Red & Black are the quietest switches. They are different from regular Red and Black switches. There are other boutique silenced switches that are about as quiet, but they aren't available in prebuilt keyboards.

Regarding the Varmilo, the LEDs look like this when they are on:
4iAnk4f.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
We're moving office in a few months and instead of desktops we're getting notebooks/laptops and using RDP to connect to more powerful workstations etc.
So, does anyone have any recommendations for ISO Wireless TKL Mechanical Keyboards? I'm currently using a TKL Novatouch at work so something similar to that would be great... but it needs to be ISO with the big enter key, i just don't get along with ANSI keyboards.