• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The whole thing was kind of a mess but I secretly loved it.

Same here. I actually didn't mind it existing at all, because I never saw value in anything to buy for real money, but I sure loved making money selling stuff. :D

Although funny enough, easier trading make farming items pointless. Funny how making a simple quality of life change can have such a disruptive effect on the whole game.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
The classic unintended mechanic is of course Bunnyhopping, which involves jumping and strafing in order to break the speed cap imposed on you in first person games like Quake and Half-Life 1.

In Half-Life 2, Valve sought to remove bunnyhopping from the game, and they did this by adding negative force to the player when they attempt to bunnyhop. However, there's no cap to the amount of negative speed you can get, meaning if you just turn around while bunnyhopping, you end up going even faster then regular bunnyhopping would've allowed.

Oct 29, 2017
The classic unintended mechanic is of course Bunnyhopping, which involves jumping and strafing in order to break the speed cap imposed on you in first person games like Quake and Half-Life 1.

In Half-Life 2, Valve sought to remove bunnyhopping from the game, and they did this by adding negative force to the player when they attempt to bunnyhop. However, there's no cap to the amount of negative speed you can get, meaning if you just turn around while bunnyhopping, you end up going even faster then regular bunnyhopping would've allowed.

Lol, that's awesome. It's like a reverse Titanfall 2

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me want to play Final Fantasy II again. I actually loved how dumb the leveling system was.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:
"Hey everybody, teamwork is great! One brave player must carry the Crystal Chalice to protect the other players from the deadly miasma!"

Reality:
"Hey, bullshit, I don't want to carry the fuckbucket, I did it the last level, you do it."

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 3/4 Battle Bonus Bar
The increase to the bar is mostly based on the difference between the average level of your party and the average level of the enemies.
The goal is to force you to fight monsters over or near your level, or disable the bonus bar if you grinded too much.

People just kept 1 character they hate dead and move them in the party to lower the average and make it easy to activate the bonuses.
Being dead, they never level up. The more you progress, the better it is too

(10 + 10 + 1) /3 = 7
(255 + 255 + 1) /3 = 170

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The level limit to catching Pokémon in Sword and Shield is supposed to be a way to let them have "Territorial Rotbart" moments in the wild area without letting you catch overpowered Pokémon, but in practice it just kind of discourages engaging with the wild area much at all until you have all the badges. It's really perplexing why they didn't just use the same obedience mechanics that they use for trades.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:
"Hey everybody, teamwork is great! One brave player must carry the Crystal Chalice to protect the other players from the deadly miasma!"

Reality:
"Hey, bullshit, I don't want to carry the fuckbucket, I did it the last level, you do it."

I'm pretty sure I played this in 2P mode *shudders*

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite's building system (in BR).

Was supposed to be so you could fortify and then fight from the safety of your cover, but now it basically means camping is useless and has made Fortnite have some of the most complex mobility in any shooter.

lol I actually LOVED fortnite when it first came out. Building was used to create big forts of power positions or to traverse up to a ridge or building or something.

And while PC got into the speed building shit console was left relatively untouched until they added new control schemes to allow for PC like super building.

Even from Day 1 of Fortnite my #1 most requested feature was to either increase the building delay or lower the initial HP of walls. I thought it was bullshit I could shoot someone out in an open field and they could just throw up walls x100 to safely get into cover. Instead the game embraced turbo building and its very much in the DNA of the game. Similar to how the devs didn't intend for Gears of War to be about wall bouncing gnasher fights but it became the core of the game.

I'll also add to the list by modern FPS complaints and why Halo is still one of the best shooters around.

ADS and Sprint being shoved into every shooter meant you have the same combat flow plus or minus game specific gimicks. Sprint. LT to aim down signs to slow your character and aiming. RT. Rinse repeat. I remember going back to play MCC expecting it to feel so dated but honestly Halo 2 and 3 are my fav games to play there. Combat feels so much better with being able to freely and accuratley aim without slowing my character down or choosing between running and shooting. Every fight feels like a dance.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The corpse run mechanic in the Souls games. I'm sure it's to make you more careful with how you play and what not but, for me, it just makes me not want to play the game at all, knowing that I'll have to painfully make my way back while not dying so I don't lose my cash / exp. Having to re-do shit is the absolute worst and these games epitomize that more than nearly any other I've played

Sounds like you were doing so poorly or deliberately throwing all of your weapons away if you were continuously running out of weapons, even later on, not sure what physics and experimentation has to do with that

That really isn't gonna happen unless you only use weak weapons. You get stronger and stronger weapons the more strong weapons you use
This isn't true when your inventory is full of weapons found in shrines.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ADS and Sprint being shoved into every shooter meant you have the same combat flow plus or minus game specific gimicks. Sprint. LT to aim down signs to slow your character and aiming. RT. Rinse repeat. I remember going back to play MCC expecting it to feel so dated but honestly Halo 2 and 3 are my fav games to play there. Combat feels so much better with being able to freely and accuratley aim without slowing my character down or choosing between running and shooting. Every fight feels like a dance.

Pre-Halo 4 games also have a substantially longer TTK, going back to the original Halo trilogy it's a shock how meaty you feel in multiplayer. You can take a few hits from anything but a rocket or sniper rifle (or pistol in H1) and have enough time to react, counter and turn the battle around if you're good. It feels like Halo 4 leaned hard into the "whoever shoots first wins" feel of Call of Duty and sucked all the fun of being a heavily armored super solider out of the series.