• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know you could use the grappling hook on the beetles in MHW until I saw some guy doing it in the Kulve Taroth event.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Didn't know about the OP's one, and I've played KH1 twice... dang

The big one for me was playing FFX for the first time and somehow not knowing about the sphere grid. I got up to this one sin spawn boss fight (roughly 20 hours in? I was youngish so it took a while) without ever levelling up, and dropped the game because it was too hard. I picked it back up later and realized my mistake and just demolished that thing.
I guess I just skipped the tutorial idk

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I didnt know that either OP. Nor did I ever use a summon in a KH game, I just completely forgot about them. I didn't know about lock on in Dark Souls until about 20ish hours in, I jsut missed the tootip, I am not good.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Gearmo in Super Mario Galaxy.

800px-Gearmo_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy_2.png

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Remnant. Just...The Last Remnant.

Yeah absolutely, all the systems in the last remnant are so well-hidden from the player that by the time you actually try to find out how different things work you're like "...oh I guess it's too late now." Most of it is impossible to discern without doing research online, even down to basic stuff like battle rank that is pretty central.

I love the game though. I think that's part of its weird charm.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the end of Nier Automata without finding the launcher (jump and attack right after) or the psuedo stinger attacks (hold button) sometimes i stay awake wondering if there's more secret moves.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I've tried to play through this game at least 5 times. I wish I understood the combat system, but I can't get a grasp on it.

Did you have a resource you looked into to learn about it? If so, I'd like it, if you can remember what it was.
I do, and I should have mentioned it earlier: the Last Remnant Wiki. It's honestly one of the best wikis I've ever seen that deals with just a single game. Just loads of helpful articles about how things work in TLR. I wouldn't have gone nearly as far in the game without it, as the game is unfortunately loaded with missable content.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
I did read about it in previews but by the time I played Horizon Zero Dawn I'd completely forgotten about the ability to make quests for crafting materials. I remember thinking that seemed like a neat feature.

Oct 26, 2017
Came here to post the same thing. I didn't learn about Up + C until probably my late teens or early 20's as well.
To be fair, I'm pretty certain it isn't mentioned on the booklet. I've read it countless times.
I put over 200 hours into Into the Breach before noticing that if you repair a unit on a flaming or ACID-coated tile, it will not only remove the affliction from your mech but also remove it from the tile they're standing on.
Mind = blown.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I did my first playthrough of Dark Souls without ever turning human. Never had an invasion and simply could not understand the craze behind the simple messages. Also, I over-leveled a lot for a while because I thougth that being cursed was a permanent status until I stopped and read the ingame description of every item I had.

Figuring out you had to wear the ring to traverse the abyss was not fun..

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Super Mario 3D World. Hopping into shells

I'd played through most of the game with two other people, beaten the "final" boss and had played through a handful of the bonus stages (or which there are far, far more than I was expecting). I never knew you could slide around inside a koopa shell, and after seeing it done in the attract mode (without knowing exactly how), I immediately tried doing it myself, having to mess around with it for a while. It wasn't immediately clear what happened in the attract mode unless you're anticipating it either.
Just saw this the other day while my daughter and I were taking a break lol

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Kirby Dreamland 2 (not 100%) without knowing you could copy abilities.

NightMystic

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Breath of the Wild without realizing that you could kill wildlife for meat. They were all so adorable that it never crossed my mind that Nintendo would want me to kill them.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
In Xenoblade 2.

I didn't know what the orbs floating around the enemy's did until chapter 7 lol. And I found out by accident when I tried pausing the game.

That's about 50ish hours in.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played Fallout 3 on the 360 for about 15 hours before finding out that the Pip-Boy had a flashlight built in. I was so overwhelmed at the time by all the game's details.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends beat FFIX without knowing he could use summons.
edit: and YES, it really was a friend, I'm not hiding anything ><

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Played like 4 generations of pokémon without knowing ev/iv was a thing. Still don't know (or care) how stuff works.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Rondo of Blood three times before I discovered the 'press forward two times with the attack button' to make the whip reach further.

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
7kHVbw.gif

I never even thought about trying to parry the great arrows until I saw someone try it on a blind playthrough.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I beat Breath of the Wild without realizing that you could kill wildlife for meat. They were all so adorable that it never crossed my mind that Nintendo would want me to kill them.

I didn't realize that bombing fallen logs got you wood. I got through a third of that game and I guess also the first couple parts of the tarrey town and house-building mission just by collecting the small piles of wood near stables. Literally someone on another forum was like "yo dawg, you should bomb that wood again" and I was like "huh that is a mechanic that is abstracted enough that I really had to see it to believe it"

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't kill them too much due to conserving my arrows and what not. I'm on my 6th or 7th playthrough, this time on PC, and I've got infinite arrows and stamina turned on and I think I've killed at least 200 wildlife so far. Even the squirrels and tiny birds aren't safe.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't really get how the music system works in NiGHTS.

I made it to the first boss in Demon's Souls without realizing you could lock onto enemies.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I was at lvl 30 in Borderlands GOTY Edition when I realized that pressing X (PS4) while in the Rocket Launcher vehicle locks onto an enemy to auto-target them so I can focus more on driving while still being able to attack them.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I knew this because I read game manuals religiously but a lot people didn't know you could run and shoot at the same time in MGS by holding X while also shooting.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
In Vaquish sam can kick barrels?
I dont know, if you ever see one walk up to it and see what Im talking about.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I've played Kingdom Hearts 1 at least three or four times in my life. My current save is >20 hours.

I just found out if you press triangle while locked into an enemy, Donald and Goofy will focus on that enemy and ignore everything else. So you can get them to fight the same things as you.

Dafuq? It doesn't really add that much but it kinda felt cool to discover something new in a game I thought I knew quite well.

I kever knew that either.

I posted this once upon a time, but it's still a good one.

In Mass Effect, as I was walking up to the final boss, my friend asked me, "Dude, why don't you ever sprint?"
Turns out you can hold "A" to run...
I played the ENTIRE game without knowing it had a run-feature.

In the first Mass Effect, outside of combat, the sprint button only changes the camera angle. You don't actually run any faster, as frustrating as it is. However, the PC mod that adds controller support also fixes that.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Plugging in a second controller when playing DMC3..

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Just started replaying FF8 on steam (which was... an annoying pain in the ass to get started thanks to the DRM but that's another story) and I... can't believe I didn't realize that you can warp to the different locations in Balamb Garden by using that goddamn map at the entrance. Like, Squall literally says it when he's giving Selfie the tour, but for some reason I never paid attention to that I guess? My mind was blown...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
After reading all these I feel obligated to hand in my gamer card.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Did you know you can wall jump in the first nier? well yhe game calls it a wall jump but its more jusylt yeeting yourself a walla when pressed up against it in the air and hitting dodge.