• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know about the OP's one, and I've played KH1 twice... dang

The big one for me was playing FFX for the first time and somehow not knowing about the sphere grid. I got up to this one sin spawn boss fight (roughly 20 hours in? I was youngish so it took a while) without ever levelling up, and dropped the game because it was too hard. I picked it back up later and realized my mistake and just demolished that thing.
I guess I just skipped the tutorial idk
I don't think you can skip the sphere grid tutorial though?

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
I played Destiny 2 for an almost embarassing amount of hours before starting to pay attention to the obviously color-coded shields of some enemies. I knew there was some sort of elemental / damage type subsystem down there, but I just didn´t really care and just forced my way through.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Despite doing the tutorials I had no idea that in God Eater Resurrection the purpose of god-eating enemies wasn't *JUST* to get low grade items from them, but to also get these burst bullet things I'm supposed to shoot my team mates with to instantly boost their burst levels. I was half way through the story when I figured this out. O__O

Thankfully they got a little better with explaining things in their tutorials in GE2, and even better in GE3. (started GE3 yesterday, btw, and i'm loving it)

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
Played rdr 2 for 150 hrs without knowing you can draw into dead eye outside of duels. Its so cool.
Also finished the game without knowing about cinematic view auto ride. So much button mashing...

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Stun riposte in DS2

Works on a bunch of enemies that are pain in the ass to deal with, this greatly simplifies things but I never see it mentioned.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
i learned about it a few years ago, but since i played it since my childhood, it was mindblowing...

In Megaman X, a normal shot while dashing will deal double damages... and even when they don't hit, you see the difference between them :

The first I learned of this was when I watched a speedrun and they explained it. It blew my mind.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Not that i didn't know what it did, i just never used it. The guns in Bloodborne, never thought to google how to use them either.

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I played all the way through this PowerPuff Girls game on PS2 where pressing R3/L3 switched which girl you were playing as. I didn't know where those buttons were on the controller and thought the manual must have made a mistake because I couldn't find them anywhere. I think I played through the entire game without ever intentionally switching characters.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like, EVERYTHING in Bloodborne, I beat that game by using my (as I call them) my 'big swing" and my "quick swing".

I have sooooooo much fire paper and lead elixir and blue stuff and who knows what stuff...no clue, literally, what any of it does besides blood vials.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think I was hundreds of hours into Left 4 Dead before I learned there were musical cues that corresponded to special infected spawns.

I didn't know about joint breaking in Bloodborne until after I finished the game and started to watch streams. I knew some bosses staggered without a parry, but I didn't know there was an entire subsystem that governed how it worked, and that it was based around joints or weak points that sometimes healed back.

Last edited:

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Nothing of my own I can think of but recently I've been looking for new YouTubers for Let's Plays. Anyway watched two play Persona 5. Both it's their first Persona game. Both got up to the first Boss - that fuck boy Kamoshida - and both got there without ever swapping out Personas in Battle. Never did I think that Persona needed more repeated things said but I guess having it pop up - Remember to swap Personas in Battle with these buttons etc - until they do it might have helped as they sure as shit weren't reading their comment section lol I'm impressed you can get there not doing it, to be honest. They burned a lot of days on the way but as I said it was their first Persona game. I should get back to them and see when it finally clicks lol

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
In my first play through of God of War, I didn't know throwing the axe with R1 and R2 did different things, also didn't know you could charge the throw. I found out until I was in Nifelheim.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
I didn't really get what 'queuing up moves' actually meant in Souls games until after finishing about 4 of them

I knew that you were locked into an attack animation once you started, but didn't know you could queue your next action at any point while the current animation was happening

The way I would play before that was try to mash the button I wanted to to as soon as the current one was ending (as I was trying to get it as soon as the current one finished), which likely led to me accidentally queuing up an extra attack or dodge after the new one instead

WHAT ASFHSDJKFADGAHDFH

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid, I didn't know how the Junction worked in FF8. I always wondered why the basic attacks were so weak so I just used summons the entire game.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a good friend of mine played through over half of FF7 without realizing you could change equipment

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Stun riposte in DS2

Works on a bunch of enemies that are pain in the ass to deal with, this greatly simplifies things but I never see it mentioned.

Did not know this. I love Dark Souls precicely because you can still discover secrets after so long. I played the first totally blind, and quite honestly there are a few things I simply can't understand how did people discovered without a guide.

Sadly after playing the first, and looking up what I missed on the second playthrough (turns out it was a lot), I kinda understand why the developers added the respec possibility

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I had beaten Bayonetta on all the difficulties and didn't know about Umbran Spear until I saw somebody do it in a combo video.

Blew my goddamn mind.

I also didn't know you could alternate between rolling and jumping in Ninja Gaiden Black until most of the way through my first playthrough. All that time, I thought Alma was simply badly designed. smdh

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
In Guild Wars 2, you can teleport to the PVP lounge from anywhere for free. And the exit portal takes you to Lion's Arch, which is the perfect starting point to tackle your dailies.

It took me a month of playing to figure that out.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 3 and using the d-pad to move quieter.

I beat the game and learned about it after the fact. Was a game changer on future replays

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
God of War: Quick turn is there to avoid the Valkyrie's blinding attack.

Plenty of people who say a lot of games have bad gameplay, yet they hardly understand the basics of hack n slash games: Dodge offset in Bayonetta and Revengeance.

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stun riposte in DS2

Wait. What?

83EJK6e.jpg

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Final fantasy crystal chronicles, you can get +++ magic if you combine your spells with kupo's own spell

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason my entire first playthrough of Fallout 3 I forgot that in Bethesda games you can just sleep in any bed for an in-game hour (if no enemies are around) and get all your health back.

I spend so much of my money on health in that game that I was always worried about running out of ammo and barely affording anything else.

Then my second playthough after I started napping in the game I had so much money it was trivial.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
For Honor has this mechanic where you can do a one hit kill on enemies of you do a drop attack from a ledge at a significant height. If you miss though, you'll either take a lot of damage or just straight up die depending on the height.

I knew all that.

What I didn't know until a couple months ago was that you can totally do this against the little npc fodder minions. This totally changes the way I get around the map now since it's faster to do that to get to the same area than walking around the map.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
FF VIII - you can boost the GF attack pressing square (after holding select i think).
I Finished the game twice without knowing

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know I could do this until the remake,thanks to the trophies guide.
Also grab birds, fishes ...
jpg

Last edited:

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
I think i was about 500 hours into Final Fantasy XIV when i found out that there's an option in the settings that you can turn on that allows you to quickly access a cross hotbar of your choice by quickly pressing R2 or L2 twice.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This sounds like it's not real, like the mew in pkmn red/blue at the truck... you serious?
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Boost_(ability)
yes, it is
attacks are enhanced by Boost via timed button presses. The GFs Diablos, Carbuncle, Cerberus, and Cactuar do not have Boost, since their effects either do not deal damage, or do a set amount of damage. A character's compatibility with a GF determines how much they can boost it before the animation ends. Removing Boost with Amnesia Greens is not recommended, as there is no way to regain the Boost ability