• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Not a mechanic per se, but tonight, right before the final mission, I realized you could upgrade your gadgets in Spider-Man PS4. The game did mention it at the very beginning but I immediately forgot.

ceebs

Oct 28, 2017
I played through all of Super Princess Peach on the DS not realizing there was an upgrade system to give you more hearts. I was wondering why everyone said it was such a cakewalk.

Feb 15, 2018
Bloodborne detects when you are listening to something on Spotify and will mute the game's soundtrack if you are.

I had no idea that this was even happening until my third playthrough. This seems like such a no-brainer mechanic and I would have killed for this to be in MGSV.

Feb 15, 2018
Bloodborne is my favorite game this gen, and I've played through multiple times. Yet, there's this beasthood thing that can turn you warewolf-like? I dunno, never cared enough to Google it.

Absolutely. Beasthood can be embraced and it does change you, physically, into a monster. Is it worth it? I mean...there's a significant amount of work that goes into it for what amounts to a small payoff, but so much that you can do as far as customization in that game is more of an aesthetic that practical.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're not necessarily mechanics.

But I recently forced myself to the end of RDR2 and only realised you could upgrade your storage capacity after I finished the story.

Also RDR2. I never paid much attention to the tutorials. So never intentially used dead eye throughout the entire campaign 😂 it was only used in situations where the game took control and made it happen. I still don't really know how to trigger it?

I also remember getting about 50 hours into fallout 3 before I discover there was a flashlight button *facepalm*

Feb 15, 2018
Like, EVERYTHING in Bloodborne, I beat that game by using my (as I call them) my 'big swing" and my "quick swing".

I have sooooooo much fire paper and lead elixir and blue stuff and who knows what stuff...no clue, literally, what any of it does besides blood vials.

My brother introduced me to Bloodborne and I talk with him about the game sometimes.

When talking about how I was struggling against the Orphan, I mentioned something about these weird runes I keep finding everywhere that say "Lake" and "Claw" and "Heir"...that I had no idea what any of them were for.

I had gone through almost the entire game and was one boss fight away from clearing the DLC without Caryl runes.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I'm good at in games is figuring out mechanics and systems with little effort, although it often ruins games for me. But I have had some utter moronic moments like playing Pokemon Blue on launch and completed the game without ever pressing right on the D pad in battle just only ever used fight and item.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Resonance of Fate starting

images

Finishing Resonance of Fate
images

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I'm pretty sure I beat MGS3 once or twice without knowing that using the d-pad is the only way to walk silently in order to sneak behind enemies.

I did watch the in-game video tutorials and I still thought gently pressing the analog stick was OK. It wasn't!

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more of a minor thing because the mechanic itself is essentially a completely optional one, but I still had a pretty good laugh at myself when it took me a few dozen hours of playing Monster Hunter: World to realize that there was a separate capture net in your item bar for capturing small endemic life/insects/pets for your room. For whatever reason, I just didn't notice the capture net in the item bar. And so, when I fist stumbled onto stuff like the researcher who wants you to catch a bunch of ants in the Wildspire Wastes, which I actually noticed pretty early, I thought what the game wanted me to do was use the same type of nets you use to cap large monsters to catch that stuff and I was like, fuck that, I ain't going to waste capture resources just to catch a bunch of ants especially as I hadn't gone out of my way to grind very much of that stuff and reserves were low at the time since I was preferring to just slay everything I came across and didn't bother to get much of that stuff. So it probably took me like 40 or 50 hours of playing until for whatever reason when I was scrolling through my item bar I finally noticed the actual capture net, and figured that stuff out, and felt like a big dummy

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
For 15+ years I thought peanuts were a useless gag item in Castlevania: SotN. You toss them into the air, they fall to the ground, and that's it. But I had no idea you could actually EAT those damn things! You just have to position yourself underneath them and hold up on d-pad.

es17.gif

I love how this game is still able to surprise me.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
In MGS2 I didn't know I could run and gun until my third playthrough. Also had my mind blown when looking through the trophies and realizing you could shoot pipes to make steam come out and radios so that guards couldn't call in backup.

I was at lvl 30 in Borderlands GOTY Edition when I realized that pressing X (PS4) while in the Rocket Launcher vehicle locks onto an enemy to auto-target them so I can focus more on driving while still being able to attack them.

I didn't know this till now (at lvl 44 lol), will definitely use this.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I remember playing through final fantasy tactics about 3 times before i learned you can press right on the dpad on an ability you're going to use to see at what turn order it'll attack. It was useful for charge moves and magic so that you didn't miss your target.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
It wasn't until after two playthroughs in Horizon Zero Dawn that I found out you can arc the lob bombs on the sling weapons by holding R2.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Any combo based action game where people use the word cancelling, I have no idea what they're talking about

Oct 25, 2017
How did a lot of you guys/girls even find this stuff? I honestly wouldn't even know where to look.

Last edited:

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Seriously! How fucking many times I've played through that game and not known this...
If you want to see it in action, here's Eden being summoned with 250% damage. The player messes up the timing halfway through and gets reset to 75% damage, but manages to boost it back up to max.

And yes, 250% Eden is fairly overkill for... anything. Poor dinosaur.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I always knew about the boost but I actually got a long way into FFVIII the first time before I realised you could press R1 to fire Squall's gunblade, Quistis says something at the first dungeon but I thought that was just talking about his limit break

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you want to see it in action, here's Eden being summoned with 250% damage. The player messes up the timing halfway through and gets reset to 75% damage, but manages to boost it back up to max.

And yes, 250% Eden is fairly overkill for... anything. Poor dinosaur.

Man, I forgot how long that summon was lol. So is it just button mashing or is there a rhythm to go to? Hard to get a grasp of what the player is actually doing from that video.

I always knew about the boost but I actually got a long way into FFVIII the first time before I realised you could press R1 to fire Squall's gunblade, Quistis says something at the first dungeon but I thought that was just talking about his limit break
Jesus, another one on the same game? I thought it was just for the limit break as well!

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I never knew about romance in Dragon's Dogma in 2012 until I buy the switch version latelly.

I had to look on the internet. So I gave my bound to Mercedes ^~^

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't until my fourth playthrough that I realized you could parry with Tab in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Man, I forgot how long that summon was lol. So is it just button mashing or is there a rhythm to go to? Hard to get a grasp of what the player is actually doing from that video.
You mash Square as fast as you can. Each press is +1. But if there's a red X over the finger, DO NOT press Square. It'll reset the damage to 75%.

The long summon animations in FF8 are a feature. The longer the summon, the more powerful you can make it with Boost.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My first time playing through Odin Sphere I didn't realize just how busted a character Mercedes was, gameplay wise. She went from being my least favorite charater to play as to my favorite.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In samus returns, I didn't know about the power bomb jump until I saw the gamexplain video.
Yeah, I don't think it's ever really explained in game. If I recall, I had to look it up because I was trying for 100 percent completion and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with those horizontal spiked areas.
Just Ranges in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Here is a video kind of explaining what it is.

Add me to the "I played this game to completion and didn't know about that" club. I also think the first time I successfully pulled off the full burst chain attack dealie was against the final boss.

Gearmo in Super Mario Galaxy.

800px-Gearmo_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Galaxy_2.png

Heh.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure I beat MGS3 once or twice without knowing that using the d-pad is the only way to walk silently in order to sneak behind enemies.

I did watch the in-game video tutorials and I still thought gently pressing the analog stick was OK. It wasn't!

Yep, it was a bother for the first playthrough, but after you get the Sorrow suit you always walk silently so you can stop using the d pad.

Anyway when they hear you it's usually too late.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people who've played Pokémon all their life have no idea what EVs and IVs are, and how Nature also plays a part in defining a Pokémon's stats. And I myself hadn't the foggiest until XY when I finally tried competitive for the first time.

Oct 28, 2017
30 hours so far in Conan Exiles and I just assumed the combat was an afterthought, because attacks like shield bashes move you forward really far, always causing you to go way past enemies and miss them. Not very well designed and all that.

Accidentally hit Q today while fighting an enemy and I fucking locked onto it, and now moves track enemies, so shield bashes don't go flying past. Felt like an idiot for not checking the keybinds.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I played almost the entirety of Mass Effect 1 without knowing you were supposed to level up your allies. Apparently there's an option to make it autolevel but either it's off by default or I turned it off without considering what it did but I went into every encounter with my allies just dying instantly and I didn't know what the hell the point of having allies was since they were no help. I think I realised my mistake while approaching Saren.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Finished Jak and Daxter with 99% completion and after I turned to a guide for the last few orbs I learned about the long jump. I had been wondering why some of the jumps I did were so absurdly challenging and precise!

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
In the SNES game Congo's Caper run is assigned to the shoulder buttons even though half the face buttons aren't used.

It took me 25 years to figure that out.

The 4th level or so is an auto scroller and I would always die because I couldn't keep up. Absolutely bonkers.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 3 and using the d-pad to move quieter.

I beat the game and learned about it after the fact. Was a game changer on future replays
This is a big one. They expanded on stamina management in the 3rd game and made silent walking use up stamina, so it got moved from the analogue stick to the dpad.

So many people messed this up when playing MGS3. You get close to enemies but always get heard.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
You can swing a pickaxe at ore in Skyrim to harvest it instead of going through the slow and horrible mining animation. I found that out years after I played the game lol.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there are people that didn't know about the butterfly to fairy trick with deku sticks in the 64 Zeldas.
I played through OoT more than 10 times over the span of my childhood, through my teenage years and even completed it more than once as an adult. I watched speedruns of this game in sooooo many different varieties, I have too much merch of this series lying around, even got most of the books released about Zelda, I've got a damn triforce tattoo and still I didn't know this. Amazing.

Thank you.