• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I've played Kingdom Hearts 1 at least three or four times in my life. My current save is >20 hours.

I just found out if you press triangle while locked into an enemy, Donald and Goofy will focus on that enemy and ignore everything else. So you can get them to fight the same things as you.

Dafuq? It doesn't really add that much but it kinda felt cool to discover something new in a game I thought I knew quite well.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If you press it without a lock they'll stop attacking and regroup at your position. It's actually really annoying in the HD versions because it triggers AI commands whenever you do a context action.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In samus returns, I didn't know about the power bomb jump until I saw the gamexplain video.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I had beaten Bayonetta on 360 like a dozen or so times, and it wasn't until Bayonetta PC that I knew that the quick time punch fest from jeanne in her final fight can be parried if you don't win the mash off until someone said it in the Bayonetta pc thread.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
Super mario 3d land. I played all the levels and the final secret one too. And then I realized that there was side jump or backflip like any other 3d mario game... I didn't know..

OP
OP
Pankratous

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah. I also completed the majority of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided thinking you couldn't run in that game.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (PS2) a lot and didn't know that the skater can dismount or stop from grinding by pressing R2, rather than jumping and landing on ground when needed. I think this move was continued forward to next TH games.

Also in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, there are hidden combos of grinding by pressing the combination of face buttons, which makes the skater to change the grind tricks in one line.

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this once upon a time, but it's still a good one.

In Mass Effect, as I was walking up to the final boss, my friend asked me, "Dude, why don't you ever sprint?"
Turns out you can hold "A" to run...
I played the ENTIRE game without knowing it had a run-feature.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that some people played through the entirety of Resident Evil 4 without knowing you can run.

EDIT: a bit like that ^

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I really didn't use flask or good gear in POE till I started facing the shaper or uber elder or uber atiziri.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Played through almost the entirety of Assassins Creed: Odyssey without realizing that you can change the appearance of weapons and armor at no cost to other appearances you've collected. I spent the entire game in MMO clownsuit mode.

Oct 26, 2017
Played Streets of Rage 2 to death as a youngster but it wasn't until I revisited it in my early 20s after picking up a cheap Mage Drive that I learned you could recover from throws.

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Vanquish multiple times before I realized that you could smoke cigarettes to briefly distract robots in the middle of firefights. Looking back, I don't know how I missed it since there's a cutscene where Sam does it. However, I really only found it useful in the challenges.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Breakdance.gif

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I put over 200 hours into Into the Breach before noticing that if you repair a unit on a flaming or ACID-coated tile, it will not only remove the affliction from your mech but also remove it from the tile they're standing on.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Despite watching the announcement trailer, I think, I didn't know that you have a super attack where you turn into a dragon until the very last boss fight in Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Mained hammer since Monster Hunter Tri, like 300 hours in MHW and I didn't know you could charge it.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 3D World. Hopping into shells

I'd played through most of the game with two other people, beaten the "final" boss and had played through a handful of the bonus stages (or which there are far, far more than I was expecting). I never knew you could slide around inside a koopa shell, and after seeing it done in the attract mode (without knowing exactly how), I immediately tried doing it myself, having to mess around with it for a while. It wasn't immediately clear what happened in the attract mode unless you're anticipating it either.

Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed Hotline Miami 1 and 2 getting an S rank on every level on hard in 2 without knowing there was a lock on.

It's not very useful.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Some of the higher functions of Crash Team Racing's boost system. I didn't know you'd get better boosts from timing more carefully, or that you'd get a stronger boost at the start of each race if you boost several times beforehand, or that you get bonus boost for chaining boosts together which is then (if I understand correctly) unleashed on turbo pads.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It took me till the final fight against Elizabeth's mom to learn there were stations to upgrade your gun in Bioshock Infinite

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played through Metal Gear Rising and in the final level i found out that you had a lock-on.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Shinobi 3 for the Genesis several times without knowing you could block enemy attacks by holding B.

Makes the last boss fight way easier.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I've beaten Tales games without knowing how to do mystic artes, lol.
The activation and method of teaching how to do some Mystic Artes is so obtuse. Wish they'd make them more uniform across games.

In BotW, I went to the shrine that teaches you how to parry. After leaving the shrine, I promptly forgot about it. Hours and hours of dead Guardians and Lynels later at the final boss, I'm bumbling around wondering why nothing I do is working.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The Last Remnant. Just...The Last Remnant.

For the vast majority of my first playthrough, I didn't know:
  • How Battle Rank worked, what it affected, and whether or not having a high BR was even a good thing
  • The workings behind a lot of Formations, and their benefits when full vs. partial
  • What governs Skill Synergies, and how to proc various Arcanas
  • How classes worked, what they affected, and how to change from one to another
  • Whether or not to give party members components that they ask for, or what they do with them
  • The advantages of making certain party members' skills unavailable for use
  • What most of the weapon modifiers affected, especially with regard to their associated skills
  • Most of the hidden rules governing character development and skill progression, both during (!) and after battle
  • Where many of the side quests were, or what people to talk to (and when) to trigger them
  • That all enemy starting positions in battle are determined by your own position when start it (including if you used Timeshift)
  • What makes Ultimate attacks become available for selection in battle
[And more; this is just off the top of my head]​

Despite all that, though I ended up loving the game. Yes, really! It demands a lot from the player, but once all its many systems finally "click", there's nothing else quite like it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Red Dead 1 was the first HD rockstar game I owned

Didnt know you could do a full sprint on the ground by mashing A(360) until after I beat the game lmao

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne is my favorite game this gen, and I've played through multiple times. Yet, there's this beasthood thing that can turn you warewolf-like? I dunno, never cared enough to Google it.