• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah, this was what I was referring to. I mean, now i feel like a dumb dumb. You got me good Russ.

I think it's the obfuscation and dishonesty that frustrates people the most, really. You'll always have your sect of "Steam or bust" users, of course, but I'd wager the devs who've said "Yes, we took Epic's money, and we did so because x" instead of beating around the bush and repeating Epic's buzz phrases have seen a far more mild response to the news.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Am I the only one that doesn't hate the EGS? It's just another launcher, and they give me "free" games so... cool?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Is the product different now that it exists on EGS?

Again with the same wrong argument.
You're makin it like the problem is the game is on EGS. The problem is that its ONLY on EGS, which you're cheering for, despite being sold and promised on another platform.

Does it make it a worse product ?

Actually YES.
That means no Workshop support at launch for mod sharing.
That means subpar VR support.
That means no cloud saves.
That means no game sharing.
That means no achievements or communities.

So yes, it's now a worse product. The only thing promised here by the devs is "Epic told us they work hard on delivering mod support for specific titles in early 2020".
You know what was promised in early 2019 ? Cloud saves.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. Why wouldn't everyone who got a higher tier seek a refund? You get potentially hundreds of dollars worth of MTX for free?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
BUT HERE'S TWO FREE GAMES, SMILE AND SHUT UP

Why would a developer give up an established platform for a historically unproven platform?

Because Epic has Data that probably says otherwise.

Because Epic is making sure the developers don't have to 'risk' the potential of low sales. They get a guaranteed paycheck.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Why would a developer give up an established platform for a historically unproven platform?

Counte-point: Epic's two biggest partners -- Annapurna and Ubisoft -- are still releasing games on Steam. If the grass were greener such that it invalidates the relevance of Steam, that wouldn't be happening.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Am I the only one that doesn't hate the EGS? It's just another launcher, and they give me "free" games so... cool?

There's plenty of reasons to hate EGS. There are no cloud saves and my tetris effect save got deleted during a crash and I have no way of recovering it.

Counte-point: Epic's two biggest partners -- Annapurna and Ubisoft -- are still releasing games on Steam.

Ubisoft hasn't released a game on Steam since March and has no games listed as upcoming.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Are you....serious, right now?

Epic has boatloads of cash.

I'd love to see the 'data' that says the dev is going to see growth and (non-advanced copy) sales...if it exists.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
EGS lacks meany features that Steam offers that has been promised for months.
I don't hate it as much as other users here and I'm not against buying there, but it is a bit of a bummer when I can't buy a Steam version.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Counte-point: Epic's two biggest partners -- Annapurna and Ubisoft -- are still releasing games on Steam. If the grass were greener such that it invalidates the relevance of Steam, that wouldn't be happening.

Yeah but my counter to that is that those are established studios. This dev probably needs as much as they can get so they don't fold / can continue to operate without worrying.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I think it's the obfuscation and dishonesty that frustrates people the most, really. You'll always have your sect of "Steam or bust" users, of course, but I'd wager the devs who've said "Yes, we took Epic's money, and we did so because x" instead of beating around the bush and repeating Epic's buzz phrases have seen a far more mild response to the news.

Absolutely - the Rebellion CEO who said that the cash was the main motivation for making Zombie Army 4 an EGS exclusive was commended on here for his honesty.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
These fringe series need as much funding as possible. I understand some people see their opposition to the EGS as being a matter of principle. I get that. However, I hope they don't begrudge a game developer trying to make the best game they can and maintain a level of profitability that helps the series stay alive.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
On the brightside this will be a great opportunity for someone to make some money on a PlanetMW site for hosting mods since EGS has no built-in mod support. Tim just wants to bring back the glory days of PC gaming -- risky clicking mods you download from sketch sites.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You keep saying Epic probably has data, do you know this for a fact that they have this kind of data for a game like MechWarrior?

Do I know that they have information that tells the developer that making this choice is best for their business?

Absolutely. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the deal. You don't just sign a contract for some bonus money if you know you won't see ROI.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ubisoft hasn't released a game on Steam since March and has no games listed as upcoming.

store.steampowered.com

Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Steam

Lead a group of interstellar pilots dedicated to free the Atlas Star System from Grax and the Forgotten Legion. Start your adventure with the full original Starlink: Battle for Atlas™ Initiative team. Included : * Starlink Game * 4 Starships : Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, Lance * 6 Pilots : Mason...

Yeah but my counter to that is that those are established studios. This dev probably needs as much as they can get so they don't fold / can continue to operate without worrying.

The fact that they're established studios, one of which has its own platform that is a decade old this year, only strengthens the argument that EGS isn't some paradise of revenue.

Last edited:

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris

I understand the difficult position he was in. There wasn't a lie in that tweet, just not any indication of what was going on. You need proper PR responses to going EGS exclusive, especially with the hate and harassment you receive when you do it.

I mean, isn't he being super honest about why PGI took the money? It makes for a better product in the end and gives it the time it needs to be good.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
store.steampowered.com

Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Steam

Lead a group of interstellar pilots dedicated to free the Atlas Star System from Grax and the Forgotten Legion. Start your adventure with the full original Starlink: Battle for Atlas™ Initiative team. Included : * Starlink Game * 4 Starships : Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, Lance * 6 Pilots : Mason...

Oh that's dope. When I look at Ubisofts hub page it didn't list that.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

You keep bringing things back to money, but you're clearly ignoring the other half of the coin which is the consumer/user experience.

You asked if the game is worse for being exclusive to EGS and the answer is unequivocally yes and many posters have retorted on that; there are mounds of points proving this now since the store has been running.

For a journalist, you're so oddly concerned with just one side of the story, and eager to excuse any critique.

Doubly so if, as a journalist, you still don't understand the critiques against EGS by now ("Is the product different now that it exists on EGS?" ) then I feel you are just being disingenuous.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Oh what a difference a week makes

(President of Piranha Games)

htHrC2Z.png

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Do I know that they have information that tells the developer that making this choice is best for their business?

Absolutely. Otherwise they wouldn't have made the deal. You don't just sign a contract for some bonus money if you know you won't see ROI.

Well they better release that damn data then because why the hell would I buy it on the EGS if I doubt the player base will be large enough for Co-Op play?
If the die hard fans wait for it to release on Steam, then thats the better platform to get it on since the longevity of the game is made by that aspect alone.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I understand the difficult position he was in. There wasn't a lie in that tweet, just not any indication of what was going on. You need proper PR responses to going EGS exclusive, especially with the hate and harassment you receive when you do it.

Lying by omission is a thing.

Edit: To be clear, this news doesn't affect me at all, and I don't begrudge moderately successful devs/pubs for accepting a financial guarantee, but to assume Bullock was acting in good faith when he made that tweet is to be exceedingly charitable.

I mean, isn't he being super honest about why PGI took the money? It makes for a better product in the end and gives it the time it needs to be good.

The context of that conversation is the FAQ ninja-edit.

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not bonus money. It's paid copies in advance.
Basically Epic is buying copies in bulk. Paying 100, 200, 300k if not more copies.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the dislike for the client and Epic in general, but remember that there are real people behind these titles that need this game to succeed in terms of money first.

That goes both ways. Let's not forget that customers are real people too and neither Epic nor the developers, have yet to make an argument as to why this is to their benefit.