• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Expectation: NPD becomes more like Media Create.
Reality: Media Create becomes more like NPD.

At least we still have Famitsu and Dengeki.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Man what is it with videogames and hiding costs and results as much as possible

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Someone should make a poll if we go with Dengeki or Famitsu as our new grand overlord

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
If you are the smaller company, with only one focus and you take what you are best at out of the public eye, how does this help you?
The name Media Create meant something around here. Letting 2 bigger companies take your spot does not seem like the way to go. I would be hoping Famitsu and Degeki drop out too if I were Media Create. This is like Atari and Sega taking a back seat when they had so much mindshare in the industry. Oh they are still around in name but not as huge in the minds of fans.

Why do that to your brand?

Because we, the public, don't actually know what their precise business model actually is.

Publically releasing sales figures is of limited utility in the grand scheme of things. Their public figures tell us very little regarding revenue, precise shipment data, regional breakdowns of sales, demographics, and so forth.

I assume MC makes much of that data available to subscribers, possibly faster than the others.

In fact, it was hardware sales data that seemed to prompt MC to change its mind and begin offering that data behind a paywall. Clearly, they were able to leverage their methodology and they deemed that to be more beneficial to their business revenue than publicly releasing information for armchair analysts on this forum to pour through week after week.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
All we can do now, is switch to Famitsu I guess. At least they'll keep providing Nintendo-Pac Mans.
Time to make a Kickstarter to afford an era-dedicated MC subscription
I don't think you're allowed to post the numbers if you got them though, if it were that simple we would see NPD numbers popping up everywhere. MC's digital ninjas will catch you if you post their numbers come april and will rip you apart :(

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There is always VGChartz
10f3f0a7eb91c91caddd6a0c0f16d67a

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
This really sucks.

I hope Famitsu and Dengeki don't follow suit. Getting Japanese sales numbers is one of the highlights of my week, it satisfies my inner analyst and I always found it fun keeping Excel databases.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Which other entertainment industries except for the movie box office? Or any other industry for that matter.
Companies want to control 'the message' that goes publicly. It's in the nature of people actually, to show the positives and hide the negatives.

Also, these charts have value and are being made by people that should get paid for their work.
So maybe they'll show less publicly so they can sell more. (edit: or more likely, the industry is putting pressure on them)

What is shown to us (weekly Top 20 and hardware sales) is a fraction of what they collect and sell to subscribers. I'm pretty sure they won't go bankruptcy because of that.

As for NPD they might have been pressure from publishers.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting. Surely that makes media creates data barely worth paying for when you have 2 other companies providing the same service for free.

Clients aren't paying $20,000 a year to Media Create just to see some numbers. Media Create gives forecasts and reports, the clients read that to make decisions on trying to make more money from things like investments.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
When does dengeki share their numbers? Thurs or Fri? And I think Dengeki is more accurate than Famitsu, no?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
People are talking about Dengeki, but I'm guessing that other trackers will follow suit? This is about getting paid for that information right?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even VGChartz has given up for software. They are no longer "reporting" numbers (as of Dec 2018) and are planning to just archive official shipment/sales data released by publishers going forward.

Oh really ? I guess even the fools get bored at one point.

People are talking about Dengeki, but I'm guessing that other trackers will follow suit? This is about getting paid for that information right?

For now there's no reason for the other trackers to follow as they're in a very different situation than Media Create.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
A sad day. First NPD, now Media-Create. At least there's no monopoly on sales numbers in Japan and we'll still get stuff from Famitsu and Dengeki.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Man what is it with videogames and hiding costs and results as much as possible

They run a bussiness that collects data from Japanese retailers on a weekly basis, and they want money to pay their employees for doing that job. They don't hide the info for the people who pay.

If you want public non-hidden info, there's the quarterly reports from the game companies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They run a bussiness that collects data from Japanese retailers on a weekly basis, and they want money to pay their employees for doing that job. They don't hide the info for the people who pay.

If you want public non-hidden info, there's the quarterly reports from the game companies.
Yeah but compare this to cinema, where we can easily see the budget of a film and how much it makes.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why the other 2 trackers would follow suit? I don't see the benefits.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why the other 2 trackers would follow suit? I don't see the benefits.
I imagine it's the trade off between ad revenue and subscription revenue. Given I always get Media Create info from here rather than the site itself, it is kind of hard to blame them since i"m not contributing to their bottom line. But Famitsu is more general, so they may have more benefit to staying open.