• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm not sure what you are talking about, I don't think Yokai Watch looks all that much better than Sun/Moon. A bit better textures and the environments have some more polygons, but that's about it.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo-kai and Pokemon is an interesting comparison since there is a chance both make the jump to the Switch this year. The jump in terms of 3DS to Switch is going to be massive for both games, should definitely drive interest in lapsed users in Japan. I do wonder if both release before the end of November whether they have a chance to sell >3M this year.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will be a boring week, and yet at least one more person is still gonna catch a ban for getting a little too personal with arguments lol.

MHW week is gonna be a bloodbath.

Man oh man.

The first ban in that thread will be legendary I'm sure. A bit sad that it is 100% bound to happen but considering how that game has dominated the conversation here there's little chance I see of sunshine and rainbows unfortunately.

Let's hope for the best even though the signs are apparent enough at this stage that people will go OTT.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't Switch hardware be at least really good for this time of the year? If we consider all the people that couldn't get one in previous weeks and that Nintendo should now be in the capacity of steadier important supplies that would again be extremely disappointing and a bit strange if we are back to the level of the pre-holidays period.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Mysterious "New Ways To Play" page to go live later today (tomorrow in Japan).

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/20180118/index.html

That's 11PM CET / 10PM GMT / 5PM ET / 2PM PT / 7AM JST. Which, coincidentally, happens to be the usual timeslot for Nintendo Directs.

H2x1_Interesting_WebsiteAnnouncement_enGB_image1600w.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/17-01-2018-1328637.html

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
The very fact of asking a rhetorical question might imply a specific attitude. I think everyone knows no actual predictions were available before those you were mentioning (otherwise I would have mentioned them; and you write in these threads quite often to know we didn't write our predictions about the game before), therefore sometimes asking something that you know it can't be answered might speak for itself. I don't really care about "asking to get things clarified" if a person might well avoid to have a truth-revealing behavior. I just state my position and that's it.
I'm quoting this again. If you're going to accuse me of such things, it would be nice if you could follow through the discussion and not just basically end the conversation with that after i've given answer showing that those accusations arent the case. Its fine that you bring it up if you got that impression, that brings more clearity to the situation, but i think it would be nice if you could recognize my reply where i show that those accusations arent the case. I dont like to have a discussion with a fighting tone, especially when there hasnt really been any disagreeing with the point. I think its better to end the discussion on a more frinedly tone instead :) I just wanted to mention that.

Hard to say. Last year they had a series of weeks at 40k-50k, before dropping to 25k after MK8D release. They upped production significantly, but the extent of supply after the increase is dependent on which number is more representative of last year's baseline of production. That said, I think they might be able to provide 50k-60k as the baseline, with rises for certain releases up to, and maybe beyond, 100k.
Yeah, thats possible. We'll see soon enough how much they're able to ship :)

So what's the consensus of how well M+R will sell in Japan? 50k? 100k?
YSO predictions

01. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle < 60k (average 55k) [week 1]
That seems to be what most people here are also predicting. Prediction League has predictions ranging from about 35k to 130k, but that is for the first two weeks. Most of them are somewhere around 70k-90k, which would be in the vicinity with what YSO predicts (first week only).

By the way, do you have the link to your post with all the Monster Hunter World predictions, silpheed-mcd?

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I already said that there seems to be a shorter period for Switch games between being announced and released. Many developers will be working on porting over already announced PS4 games to the Switch (minus AAA titles).

Not only is that true for PS4 as well, we just had a new Gundam game announced for PS4, but the actual release schedule is evident. I have to question if you've seen the lists posted in previous MC's? Late PS4 ports aren't really going to change what was said

You disagreed and shifted it to just 3rd party.
If I misunderstood something, then my bad.

Once again, that was on third parties all moving to SW and PS4 sharing its software will be bad to which I responded that said statement is premature and reality is quite different.

Yeah, they are making bank thanks to putting games on mobile and succeeding.

Except Capcom, they can't even make a successful mobile game that they left money on the table for Switch in 2017. Especially when MvCi and RE7 look like they will perform below Capcom's sales expectations.

Capcom is making bank as well though and these pubs aren't making money from just mobile but there console segments as well. Wishful thinking will only get you so far in claims like your first sentence.

Code:
Days Remaining     FFXV          DQ XI          MH:XX (3DS)      MH:W
20              330 (+1)        520 (+14)       854 (+31)        955 (+27)
19              331 (+1)        527 (+7)        873 (+19)        991 (+36)
18              339 (+8)        530 (+3)        886 (+13)        1027 (+36)
17              345 (+6)        544 (+14)       905 (+19)        1054 (+27)
16              348 (+3)        553 (+9)        921 (+16)        1082 (+28)
15              352 (+4)        560 (+7)        947 (+26)        1100 (+18)
14              354 (+2)        579 (+9)        990 (+43)        1127 (+27)
13              365 (+11)       592 (+13)       1005 (+15)       1156 (+29)
12              371 (+6)        613 (+21)       1017 (+12)       1202 (+46)
11              379 (+8)        621 (+8)        1034 (+17)       1228 (+26)
10              389 (+10)       634 (+13)       1047 (+13)       1266 (+38)
09              400 (+11)       643 (+9)        1059 (+12)
08              409 (+9)        660 (+17)       1082 (+23)
07              416 (+7)        685 (+25)       1104 (+22)
06              420 (+4)        708 (+23)       1145 (+41)
05              431 (+11)       735 (+27)       1172 (+27)
04              436 (+5)        754 (+19)       1215 (+43)
03              454 (+18)       773 (+19)       1225 (+10)
02              464 (+10)       778 (+5)        1261 (+34)
01              470 (+8)        800 (+22)       1305 (+44)
FW Sales(MC)   690.471          950.315          848.467
HW Sales       118.350           93.356           42.279
Multiplier      1.4              1.18              0.65

On track for 1500+ points.

I wonder how big of a part digital will play as well.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have to think this is going to be some new type of Joy Con attachment and not a change to the actual unit. It should come with some sort of software support and I bet games like Mario Tennis will take advantage of this (it may be why they didn't date it).

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Yo-kai and Pokemon is an interesting comparison since there is a chance both make the jump to the Switch this year. The jump in terms of 3DS to Switch is going to be massive for both games, should definitely drive interest in lapsed users in Japan. I do wonder if both release before the end of November whether they have a chance to sell >3M this year.

It will also depend on what possible YW game L5 will bring to switch if anything

With Snack world it seems to be a port of the 3ds game it seems

With inazuma we could see the first real switch effort

I would be disappointed by game freak presenting an uprez 3ds game as switch debut

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is making bank as well though and these pubs aren't making money from just mobile but there console segments as well.

Do I have to remind you of this again?

Capcom has had YOY revenue increases 4 years in a row and profit increases as well.

You're going to have be more specific.

I'm looking at Capcom's data right now and

DRP5F_QVoAAVE_q

I see net sales had YoY increases for the last 2 years, but their cost of sales has increased as well that it made no significant change to their gross profit.

It turns out their profit ratio has went down due to that being at 35.3%

I can see their net income has increased YoY gradually, nothing to add there from what you already mentioned.

If it's not net sales of the whole companies' operations then, let's look at Digital Contents to see how they're doing with regards to games.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/benchmark_02.html

img_benchmark_02_02.png

Okay, so their net sales has been increasing YoY over the last two years but their operating margins has been decreasing, so they're not making more money out of the sales they've been getting.

Eg. FY3/2016:
¥52,577 * .231 = ¥12,145 (Millions of Yen)

FY3/2017
¥58,704 * .189 = ¥11,095 (Millions of Yen)

So yeah, you're going to have to clarify where Capcom has been making YoY increases in revenue 4 years in a row. Not even Capcom's other businesses have had YoY increases of net sales 4 years in a row.

They're not making bank at all from their games in the last 7 years. As in, they've had shit all growth making money from their Digital Contents historically.

Wishful thinking will only get you so far in claims like your first sentence.

Your rhetoric isn't going to get you that far.

DTvZQFoUMAAJG_0.jpg

That's an example of a third party publisher making bank from mobile games.

Square Enix's Net Sales so far in FY3/2018

Digital Entertainment - HD Games:
Q1: ¥11B
Q2: ¥27.1B

Total: ¥28.1B

Digital Entertainment - Smart Devices:
Q1: ¥23.1B
Q2: ¥22.7B

Total: ¥45.8B

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes I don't understand what people are arguing in this thread and.

Looking forward to Dissidia NT opening number. I think SE mishandled Dissidia quite badly. The original Dissidia sold pretty well and provides good alternative style of fighting game. I don't personally like typical fighting game, but Dissidia was quite fun. It's also in a way similar to Smash with very accessible control scheme yet retains some depth with deep customization, but the sales trajectory has been very different from Smash.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
It will also depend on what possible YW game L5 will bring to switch if anything

With Snack world it seems to be a port of the 3ds game it seems

With inazuma we could see the first real switch effort

I would be disappointed by game freak presenting an uprez 3ds game as switch debut
tbh that inazuma game looks anything but "real effort" lol

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo heavily dropped the ball with the Direct and the impact can already be seen. Kimishima to amend forecast from 20million units to 2million.

On a serious note, slow week for Nintendo. Wonder what will be the base line for Switch in the following months.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen what IE Ares looks like?

I am pretty sure nobody have seen how IE will actually look like
But te fact is tgs we will probably judge L5 switch transition by it and not by the snack world port I presume

And considering that game freak will probably develop a switch game too and not a 4ds port, I think we will be allowed to compare the 2

I didn't say that L5 switch games will look better Thsnks the Pokémon ones but they 3ds ones did

Disappointing but realistic.

I disageee

Zerokingx

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes I don't understand what people are arguing in this thread and.

Looking forward to Dissidia NT opening number. I think SE mishandled Dissidia quite badly. The original Dissidia sold pretty well and provides good alternative style of fighting game. I don't personally like typical fighting game, but Dissidia was quite fun. It's also in a way similar to Smash with very accessible control scheme yet retains some depth with deep customization, but the sales trajectory has been very different from Smash.
I disagree because Dissidia already exists as a arcade game and is doing pretty well for its self

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty sure nobody have seen how IE will actually look like
But te fact is tgs we will probably judge L5 switch transition by it and not by the snack world port I presume

And considering that game freak will probably develop a switch game too and not a 4ds port, I think we will be allowed to compare the 2

I didn't say that L5 switch games will look better Thsnks the Pokémon ones but they 3ds ones did

I disageee
We've seen an early WIP already

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that I finally game and Pokémon switch game could be a good group to compare L5 and GF tech achievements on switch
Game Freak will still probably lose out. Level 5 has far more experience in HD development. at best, I'm thinking Game Freak would match the Yokai Watch prototype, and even then I dont think it's likely
tHT2mAp.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I totally know
Are we judging their product by an early WIP build?
I don't think so, right?

I think that I finally game and Pokémon switch game could be a good group to compare L5 and GF tech achievements on switch

On 3ds L5 clearly won the prize
L5 likes to bullshot a lot so I don't think we should give them the benefit of the doubt here

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
L5 likes to bullshot a lot so I don't think we should give them the benefit of the doubt here

uhm... I dont get what you are saying.
I have the YW games running on my 3DS aside the Pokemon one.
in terms of pure visuals and in terms of frame rate, L5 games won over the Pokemon ones.

About Game Freak and L5 games, I'm not sure who will present the best game in terms of pure tech.
I just think that we should wait for some real Switch game, so skip the 3DS Snack World port, and wait for Inazuma Evelen, to be compared to the first real Pokemon Switchgame (that I hope will be the first one presented, skipping a 3DS port)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About Game Freak and L5 games, I'm not sure who will present the best game in terms of pure tech.
I just think that we should wait for some real Switch game, so skip the 3DS Snack World port, and wait for Inazuma Evelen, to be compared to the first real Pokemon Switchgame (that I hope will be the first one presented, skipping a 3DS port)
it's clearly gonna be Level 5, it wont even be a competition. they have far more experience than Game Freak. if GF can compare, it'd be a shock to everyone

EDIT: damn it, I'll stop bumping this old thread :\

Status
Not open for further replies.