• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
People should calm down a little bit and remember how Switch has been selling since launch on the premise of its novelty and how valuable Nintendo IPs are on a successful console.

2018 will have:
Kirby
Donkey Kong Country
Mario Tennis
Mario + Rabbids
Fire Emblem
Yoshi
Hyrule Warriors
+ likely
Animal Crossing
another Mario game (Maker?)
Super Smash Bros (likely porting)
whatever Pokémon game (not a mainline but some kind of spin-off)
Luigi's Mansion
+
all the evergreen games that will keep selling as typical for a Nintendo platform
+
some smaller/digital games.

...and that's only from Nintendo. Every other platforms would die for such a line-up.

Do you really think Nintendo should worry? There might be slower periods but such a line-up is a monster line-up. Animal Crossing alone will carry 2018 holidays (and beyond) as it did in 2012 on 3DS. New Leaf sold 5,5m+ units---the Switch one could possibly debut at 1,5-2m units and selling huge numbers during November and December. Animal Crossing is also a big system seller.

I was talking of the Breaker franchise.

It would be interesting to see how much sales PS4 is able to absorb from PSV. If it's decently pushed it might reach the same numbers of the previous two entries. It seems they want to advertise it as a new start for the franchise.

I want the yoshi's release date!

Houses, train, i I like everything in this game :)

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I realize its simplistic, but IMO using actual sales from 3rd party games is the best consistent metric of support and 3rd party ecosystem. As you can see in this thread, you can put out all sorts of subjective qualifiers and complications if you want to make a certain argument. Should we discredit PS4 games that had PSV and PS3 versions? Etc.
There was some elements of this with the PS4, as fiendcode mentioned earlier. I dont remember the exact wording back then, but it was focus on how games went mulitplatform, not being PS4 exclusives because publishers didnt dare. Theres truth to that, but it shows that at times there was more focus on PS4 not being strong enough to get exclusive games rather than getting new games. Vita also had elements of this because it got many smaller games rather than more big titles (and not being exclusives).

Its not really any key answer to whats good support or not, in my opinion, since its really depends on what people consider and compare it to, as you mention.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Not sure about Worldwide but regarding Japan, I think people just have to chill a bit about Switch's 2018

here the facts: In terms of exclusive and high quality software, NSW's first year obliterates the PS4 and X1 first years in the market, it took a while, easily more than a year till games stopped being cross-gen and most notable releases where your standard CoD, Madden, Fifa yearly casual stuff.

why do PS4 and X1 got a pass for releasing cross-gen and up-ports á la Last of us for their first 18 months and the switch is considered a huge letdown as soon as a 90-metacritic exclusive, all-current-gen game isn't on sight?

Switch is doing everything by itself

.- without the advantage of cross-gen releases (Other than Zelda),
.- with 3rd parties mostly absent, that are just now trying catch up and
.- competing against a console 4 years into the market that also happens to follow the trajectory of the PS2, hardwarewise,

truth is, all things considered, it's absolutely destroying every and any competition in Japan and as such, it doesn't need a huge mega hardcore game every month in Q1 2018, it just doesn't.

Nintendo is better off focusing on Summer and of course Q3 and Q4 where they get most of their sales anyway

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I think the Switch's lineup for 2018 so far is fine for Japan, but weak for America.

Mario Tennis, Kirby, $60 DKC port, Yoshi, and Fire Emblem are enough to keep selling well in Japan where the Switch is still constantly sold out, but I don't think good enough for America.

Need to release some 5m+ sellers in 2018 along with these games.

First, in December Switch had stock problems even in America. It seriusly only didn't have stock problem only during November because of waek promotions.
And second, i think this line up is totally fine. Those games usually do very good numbers in America, and on Switch every game tend to peform better than usual, so...

Also why you don't count Bayo?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about Worldwide but regarding Japan, I think people just have to chill a bit about Switch's 2018

here the facts: In terms of exclusive and high quality software, NSW's first year obliterates the PS4 and X1 first years in the market, it took a while, easily more than a year till games stopped being cross-gen and most notable releases where your standard CoD, Madden, Fifa yearly casual stuff.

why do PS4 and X1 got a pass for releasing cross-gen and up-ports á la Last of us for their first 18 months and the switch is considered a huge letdown as soon as a 90-metacritic exclusive, all-current-gen game isn't on sight?

.- competing against a console 4 years into the market that also happens to follow the trajectory of the PS2, hardwarewise,

truth is, all things considered, it's absolutely destroying every and any competition in Japan and as such, it doesn't need a huge mega hardcore game every month in Q1 2018, it just doesn't.

Nintendo is better off focusing on Summer and of course Q3 and Q4 where they get most of their sales anyway

Underrated post. Nice summary of the current and future situation.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
So wait according to Denkgeki FIFA 18 on Switch outsold the PS4 version? I know Japan is a non factor globally, but I'm really curious about its worldwide performance. It should be well over 500k worldwide on the system, right?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So wait according to Denkgeki FIFA 18 on Switch outsold the PS4 version? I know Japan is a non factor globally, but I'm really curious about its worldwide performance. It should be well over 500k worldwide on the system, right?

It should be in the 600k-750k range for now. With its legs and the WC it should end above 1.2m.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Hard to tell. Numbers in France are 73k, and UK is probably 50k+. That's about 200k, and then there's the rest of Europe and the US to take into account... 500k is possible I guess? I'm not too confident it's there yet, but it definitely will sell well past that before the next one comes out.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

PS4 and Xbox One didnt get a pass for that though, many people brought up focus around cross gen titles, so this isnt a Switch exclusive (no pun intended hehe :P :)). I dont think that anyone say that its a huge let down either, but many have probably already played the first version of the games and want new titles instead (doesnt have to be exclusive).

Switch will get more 3rd party support. Developers were not shy to the idea with doing multiplatform titles with PS3/PS4/Vita, so i dont think theres any reason why they wont continue this idea with the Switch instead now that PS3 and Vita are basically done selling.

Oct 26, 2017
First, in December Switch had stock problems even in America. It seriusly only didn't have stock problem only during November because of waek promotions.
And second, i think this line up is totally fine. Those games usually do very good numbers in America, and on Switch every game tend to peform better than usual, so...

Also why you don't count Bayo?

Bayo is great, but it's also a port and it's pretty niche also. The Switch did great in December in America, but it had a so-so October despite not having many supply issues, we'll see how it keeps up outside of Japan in 2018 without something like Animal Crossing or Smash 5 or Retro's Destiny Killer (tm, lmao) coming out.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One didnt get a pass for that though.

eh I am not sure they received the same backlash we are seeing after the mini-direct,

I certainly don't remember people getting all worked up over an empty (or full of ports/remakes/cross-gens) first half of the year (and that is, assuming Nintendo won't announce anything else for Q1 and Q2 2018)

I think Nintendo gamers are so fed up of droughts that they are pressing the OMG-NO-GAMES! panic button waaaay too soon.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Bayo is great, but it's also a port and it's pretty niche also. The Switch did great in December in America, but it had a so-so October despite not having many supply issues, we'll see how it keeps up outside of Japan in 2018 without something like Animal Crossing or Smash 5 or Retro's Destiny Killer (tm, lmao) coming out.
Switch was still supply constrained until towards the end of October. Nintendo upped supply massively for Odyssey launch and that held until December.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
eh I am not sure they received the same backlash we are seeing after the mini-direct,

I certainly don't remember people getting all worked up over an empty (or full of ports/remakes/cross-gens) first half of the year (and that is, assuming Nintendo won't announce anything else for Q1 and Q2 2018)

I think Nintendo gamers are so fed up of droughts that they are pressing the OMG-NO-GAMES! panic button waaaay too soon.
That's not true. They were, especially PS4, very heavily critisized back then.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The thruth is that each and every platform is criticized when it receives loads of ports.
It has happened with PS4, it's happening with switch, it will happen with PS5.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and XB1 were definitely criticized for ports/remasters early on in their lives. Occasionally they still are (personally I don't see anything wrong with games being brought over to a new platform).

I don't feel like the backlash from the mini Direct is that bad either, tbh. It seems like most people are happy with what the platform is offering. The only issue I have is that I'd like to know what the second half of the year will offer for the Switch. Not to mention I feel like Nintendo is still holding on to one title for the first half that they haven't revealed yet.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for all the criticism ports get, it sure as hell dont show up in sales. many of them seem to make their money back, for the bigger titles, sell buttloads. we can complain about MK8, Pokken, DKTF all we want, but 1) they aint taking time away from original titles and 2) people actually want them

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
for all the criticism ports get, it sure as hell dont show up in sales. many of them seem to make their money back, for the bigger titles, sell buttloads. we can complain about MK8, Pokken, DKTF all we want, but 1) they aint taking time away from original titles and 2) people actually want them
This is true for 3rd parties as well. Things like Xenoverse 2 or Puyo Puyo Tetris have done exceptionally well despite being old ports.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017

I dont know about the same backlash, i just wanted to say that PS4 and Xbox One didnt get a pass from everyone on the same topic. But i agree with what you're saying otherwise, i dont think theres any need for big concerns regarding droughts for the Switch.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017

yep. my three switch-owning friends who never owned wiius don't give a damn that I bought the game they're currently enjoying in 2014.

ports seem like a much bigger negative to those of us who make a hobby out of following the video game hype cycles like this because we don't get our hype fix from them compared to a new release.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
yep. my three switch-owning friends who never owned wiius don't give a damn that I bought the game they're currently enjoying in 2014.

ports seem like a much bigger negative to those of us who make a hobby out of following the video game hype cycles like this because we don't get our hype fix from them compared to a new release.
As someone who didn't own a WiiU, I definitely feel like the lineup that Nintendo has offered and will offer in the coming months is enough for me to enjoy: the Bayonetta double pack is mine, I might get DK:TF and maybe HW:DE, but MK8D was a really big deal for last year. That's the good thing to come out of the WiiU's failure: there's a massive audience for whom ports are new games, and as a result the system is very compelling for them.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder if we will see a new Tomodachi Collection in Japan this year. It's been a while.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy

You are massively underestimate Switch performance outside of Japan, and honestly i feel like you are not even alone, people in the Media Create thread are always way too worried about west performance for Nintendo, even when there are absolutely no reason to be.

Saying Switch did great in America during December and October is very a conservate way to talk about his performance, really the only month it didn't sell too good but still great was November. We won't know how it did in the rest of the world before Nintendo quarter report, but we know his performance in France were very big too.

It almost looks like for someone Nintendo need a Mario, a Zelda, or a Pokémon every month for be successful in the west, that's not the case. Switch line up is very good for every quarter, most of those games has the potential to sell very good and will keep Switch momentum for a long time, nothing stop Switch, no need to be worry.

About Bayo, i really don't know what to expect, but i'm more than sure it will do way better than what it did on Wii U, so i would not cut it out of the list. Really feel like the series and the character is more popular right now.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Ports are financing new projects and get the developer familiar with the new hardware. It doesn't stop new games, either. Just be a little more patient. Making new games takes years.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will see a new Tomodachi Collection in Japan this year. It's been a while.

Nintendo seems to be distancing themselves from Miis with the Switch so far, but I feel it would be a mistake to not release another Tomodachi game after its success in Japan and Europe especially. I think it would be a good idea to release it after Animal Crossing (like they did on 3DS).

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
There was a report that EA was very pleased with it's sales in france. i think overall EA may end up satisfied with the sales of the game after the world cup.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There was a report that EA was very pleased with it's sales in Japan. i think overall EA may end up satisfied with the sales of the game after the world cup.

I think it said they were pleased with the sales in general. Possibly from the Italy or France threads. I don't think it was regarding Japan either way.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There was a report that EA was very pleased with it's sales in Japan. i think overall EA may end up satisfied with the sales of the game after the world cup.
The Nintendo France guy said that EA had said they were pleased with FIFA sales. From his words, it sounded like they were talking about overall performance, not region-specific. Here's the thread on it, summarised by a francophone: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fifa-18-switch-73k-in-france-ea-very-satisfied.15619/

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Don't see any problem for Switch, actually it looks like it will continue its momentum. Kirby and Donkey Kong Country TF will surprise alot of people and especially Mario Tennis Aces could perform very well.

As the recent SD Gundam announcement demonstrated, there will be new 1H announcements, so it's not like we know everything yet. Would be nice if Bayonetta could take advantage of the situation in February.

As we have no new Fire Emblem information yet, chances are that it could be a mid to late 2018 game, interesting because chances that FE and Valkyria Chronicles 4 could launch really close to each other are increasing. Really unfortunate that Sega couldn't manage a simultanous March launch.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The Nintendo France guy said that EA had said they were pleased with FIFA sales. From his words, it sounded like they were talking about overall performance, not region-specific. Here's the thread on it, summarised by a francophone: https://www.resetera.com/threads/fifa-18-switch-73k-in-france-ea-very-satisfied.15619/
Generally I just assume France. You can maybe say he was speaking worldwide but the safeiest assumption is france since it's EA's pr in france talking about french numbers. At least that way your definitely not wrong.

Oct 26, 2017
The Switch owned in 2017 because it had BotW, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Odyssey. Two GOAT tier games and two very popular multiplayer games.

We will see in 2018 for the Switch.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It had a release schedule throughout, which tbf 2018 does as well outside of maybe January. The main difference is standard bearer exclusive titles. Kirby is big but not same size as the biggest switch titles from last year for which there was actually a lot. Multiple multi-million selling exclusive titles even if they were multi-plats or deluxe titles. 2018 doesn't really have that yet. The biggest sure-fire multi-million seller would be Pokemon if it makes it. Fire Emblem is a maybe. Kirby is also a maybe etc.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
People seem to forget that Zelda carried the switch for the first bit
And MK8D.

It's hard to know how much of a mover shaker ARMS was in terms of hardware selling, so you're kind of talking April to July in terms of big hitters.

2018's advantage is that is Kirby doesn't necessarily need to be BOTW, since BOTW is already out. Because certain games are out, 2018 is allowed to release games to appeal to differing demographics.

It had a release schedule throughout, which tbf 2018 does as well outside of maybe January. The main difference is standard bearer exclusive titles. Kirby is big but not same size as the biggest switch titles from last year for which there was actually a lot. Multiple multi-million selling exclusive titles even if they were multi-plats or deluxe titles. 2018 doesn't really have that yet. The biggest sure-fire multi-million seller would be Pokemon if it makes it. Fire Emblem is a maybe. Kirby is also a maybe etc.

I agree. 2017 H1 had a better big hitter lineup.
2018 H1 so far has the better overall linuep.

(are you talking multi million WW sellers? Kirby, FE, Yoshi, I'd include Mario Tennis, etc are locks to sell more 2m or more . That's not really a question)

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Bayonetta 1 and 2 Switch Port
Kirby Star Allies
Hyrule Warriors DE
Mario Tennis Aces
DK Tropical Freeze with Cranky Kong Mode

Add on 2017 Titles
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8D
Pokken Tournament DX
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Splatoon 2
Mario and Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
ARMS
1 2 Switch

Major Games Confirmed to be Coming:
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Ocotpath Travellor
Travis Strikes Back
Pokémon for Switch
SMTV
Fire Emblem Switch
Yoshi Switch

Y'all thats the amount of titles it'll have in a little over a year. That may be the largest and most impressive first year lineup to ever release besides maybe PS2.

Y'all that isn't even bad at all. The 3 ports have very good word of mouth and Kirby/Mario Tennis look very good.
Breath of the Wild had to carry the Switch for 2 months until Mario Kart 8D came out..We have 5 games here that are major in the span of possibly 4 months. If Pokken could outsell the Wii U Version(which it probably has) then DK will be a big deal. Kirby will return to form in Japan sales since it'll be the first mainline Kirby on the system. Mario Tennis Aces will probably sell since it's the first major Mario sports title. Now Hyrule Warriors DE and Bayonetta 1 and 2, they may sell less though I'm defiantly thinking at least Bayonetta 1 and 2 will sell more than it's wii U version.

1 2 Switch is considered one of the worse Nintendo games ever made and that will be a multimillion seller worldwide. Nintendo will market these titles and they will continue the trend of performing above expectations(except Fire Emblem Warriors R.I.P.)

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
People seem to forget that Zelda carried the switch for the first bit

And that Switch was/is selling also because of the hardware itself.

Until Splatoon came out, Switch had essentially Zelda (big IP in Japan but not the biggest out there), a "Mario Kart porting" and a new IP in the fighting genre. After Splatoon, we had to wait until Odyssey for another big game.

We're seeing Kart at 1m+, ARMS at 350k+ and Zelda at 700k+ because of the Switch.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
And MK8D.

It's hard to know how much of a mover shaker ARMS was in terms of hardware selling, so you're kind of talking April to July in terms of big hitters.

2018's advantage is that is Kirby doesn't necessarily need to be BOTW, since BOTW is already out. Because certain games are out, 2018 is allowed to release games to appeal to differing demographics.
ARMS no doubt did it's part you don't exactly sell 1 million copies of a game a few months after launch and not have an impact. If nothing else it maintained mindshare in what would otherwise be a dead period.

Games that likely did nothing is stuff like Fire Emblem warriors which dropped of pretty much everywhere.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda didn't carry the switch in Japan but it helped. It definitely carried it in west however reaching nearly holiday period launch sales in March.

Oh yes in the West it is clear that Zelda was the main driver of Switch sales with incredible attach-rates.

But in Japan ? It couldn't be the main sales driver. It opened at 187k whereas the Switch FW sales were 329k.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
And MK8D.

True, and the same is true for elsewhere in the world. In UK, for example, MK8D went up 26% last week while everything else was entering the slow period post Christmas (except GTA V, but well...).

MK8D, BOTW and SMO will continue to carry Switch sales everywhere, while these numbers are further increased by the new, smaller scale releases planned for this half year. And the hardware sells itself as well.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
(except Fire Emblem Warriors R.I.P.)

Tharja DLC will save it.

Oh yes in the West it is clear that Zelda was the main driver of Switch sales with incredible attach-rates.

But in Japan ? It couldn't be the main sales driver. It opened at 187k whereas the Switch FW sales were 329k.

People are looking way too much into the line up, ignoring the fact that the main reason Switch is a big success is his concept.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Kirby Star Allies
Hyrule Warriors DE
Mario Tennis Aces

Y'all that isn't even bad at all. The 3 ports have very good word of mouth and Kirby/Mario Tennis look very good.
Breath of the Wild had to carry the Switch for 2 months until Mario Kart 8D came out..We have 5 games here that are major in the span of possibly 4 months. If Pokken could outsell the Wii U Version(which it probably has) then DK will be a big deal. Kirby will return to form in Japan sales since it'll be the first mainline Kirby on the system. Mario Tennis Aces will probably sell since it's the first major Mario sports title. Now Hyrule Warriors DE and Bayonetta 1 and 2, they may sell less though I'm defiantly thinking at least Bayonetta 1 and 2 will sell more than it's wii U version.

1 2 Switch is considered one of the worse Nintendo games ever made and that will be a multimillion seller worldwide. Nintendo will market these titles and they will continue the trend of performing above expectations(except Fire Emblem Warriors R.I.P.)
Funnily enough Bayonetta 2 is actually performing similar to MHW on at least 2 markets on Amazon. It's ranked 21th for the month in France and US while having good hourly rankings an month away from release. MHW being 7th and 10th respectively 10 days from release.

And MK8D.

I agree. 2017 H1 had a better big hitter lineup.
2018 H1 so far has the better overall linuep.

(are you talking multi million WW sellers? Kirby, FE, Yoshi, I'd include Mario Tennis, etc are locks to sell more 2m or more . That's not really a question)
Talking within the calender year

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Kirby Star Allies
Hyrule Warriors DE
Mario Tennis Aces

Add on 2017 Titles
Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8D
Pokken Tournament DX
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Splatoon 2
Mario and Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
ARMS
1 2 Switch

Major Games Confirmed to be Coming:
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Ocotpath Travellor
Travis Strikes Back
Pokémon for Switch
SMTV

Y'all thats the amount of titles it'll have in a little over a year. That may be the largest and most impressive first year lineup to ever release besides maybe PS2.

Fire Emblem Switch?

faaa28669941588acdff8a40ac4e1be4ad2c232b_hq.jpg

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I think most people will be impressed by how good Switch will perform the first quarter of this year (Calendar year).

I will exceed 99% of expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.