• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I think people from the US (basically all English speaking countries) and Japan can't really understand how underwhelming the prospect of only English and Japanese VO is for longtime fans of KH. The remastered already soured my experience with the franchise and if the rumblings of the game not being stellar are true, than we could see a very rude awakening worldwide. Especially with RE2 being so close to it and being a way to bridge some time to see the reception of the game.

I myself at least won't be thete day one... In parts also because ff15 wasn't a good game and I lost a good chunk of faith in the Japanese branch of SE.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This doesn't mean much to be honest, who thought that a Zelda game and a Monster Hunter game will outsell the first main Final Fantasy for a new generation by millions of units?

It is only a feeling, but I think Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to be a massive success worldwide. I think it will have a strong word of mouth and will sell very well.
and word of mouth is much more effective those days than PS2 days.

I am not that positive considering i know how daunting to newcomers to immediately jump into KH3 there for such an old IP.

Zelda and MH both had the advantage that people dont need to play the older title for maximum experience. For KH i dont think thats possible.

It will be interesting to see how KH3 performance for sure. As i am surely getting the game asap lol.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think people from the US (basically all English speaking countries) and Japan can't really understand how underwhelming the prospect of only English and Japanese VO is for longtime fans of KH. The remastered already soured my experience with the franchise and if the rumblings of the game not being stellar are true, than we could see a very rude awakening worldwide. Especially with RE2 being so close to it and being a way to bridge some time to see the reception of the game.

I myself at least won't be thete day one... In parts also because ff15 wasn't a good game and I lost a good chunk of faith in the Japanese branch of SE.
Where do those rumblings come from?

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
People mention it in different threads but always name the spoiler thread as the source. I don't read the thread and therefore can't tell you why and what could be the problem.

From my understanding the people with early access to the game are not really happy with their experience with the game. But as I said, I don't know if these are longtime fans that are disappointed or new people that are lost.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Fitness Boxing is also rising at sales

Week 51 - out of top 50 (launch)
Week 52 - 35
Week 01 - 25

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create posted the correct top 50 for week 52, we didn't lose it. Just the count:

NSW - 30
PS4 - 11
3DS - 9

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo should have thought about putting Fitness Boxing content into ARMS to give it better legs.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yep. For longtime fans in other countries, this was a massive letdown since the Remix Series.
To not have so many VO options in handheld games? Yeah okay, fine but not hearing those familiar voices you grew up with?
I loved the whole German Cast with all original Disney voices and overall great performance. Heck Sora was even voiced by the son of the German Voice of Mickey

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't touch on it, but the ff ports are still nonsense to me. Annoucing ports of old af games that have been on every system, only to say the release date later, and it'll be 7-8 months before the first one comes out.

Same with the future RE ports.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
These are last of Us sales in Japan
2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 000. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.696) - 957 / 264.381
2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 000. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.696) - 27 / 264.408
2017 CY {2017.01.02 - 2017.12.31} 000. [PS3] The Last of Us <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.06.20} (¥5.696) - 2 / 264.410

2017 CY {2017.01.02 - 2017.12.31} 998. [PS3] The Last of Us [PlayStation 3 the Best] <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.01.22} (¥3.800) - 917 / 21.991

We really have these kind of yearly updated numbers eh, these are charting out of yearly top 1000.

Donkey Kong at this point might approaching 300k

Not so high, Dengeki has it at 234k for week 52 for example

49 50 Switch ドンキーコング トロピカルフリーズ 任天堂 18/05/03 2,372 234,622

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Nintendo eShop Sales: January 3rd to January 9th 2019

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

01./00. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou! (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
02./00. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]
03/00. – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) [28.4.2017] (currently on sale)
04./00 – Octopath Traveler (Square-Enix) [13.7.2018] (was on sale)
05./00. – Hollow Knight (Team Cherry) [13.6.2018] (currently on sale)
06./00. – Minecraft (Mojang / Microsoft Japan) [21.6.2018]
07./00. – Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) [28.12.2017] (was on sale)
08./00. – Super Mario Party (Nintendo) [05.10.2018]
09./00. – Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square-Enix) [20.12.2018]
10./00. – Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) [20.12.2018]
11./00. – New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo) [11.01.2019]
12./00. – Minna de Kuuki Yomi (G-Mode) [30.8.2018] (currently on sale) (was on sale)
13./00. – Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) [27.7.2017]
14./00. – Overcooked! Special Edition (Team17) [12.10.2017] (was on sale)
15./00. – Seiken Densetsu COLLECTION (Square-Enix) [01.6.2017] (was on sale)
16./00. – DEEMO (Flyhigh Works) [21.9.2017] (was on sale)
17./00. – Overcooked! 2 (Team17) [07.8.2018] (currently on sale)
18./00. – Undertale (8-4) [15.9.2018]
19./00. – Diablo III: Eternal Collection (Blizzard) [27.12.2018]
20./00. – Stardew Valley (Chucklefish) [12.1.2018]

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo 3DS

01./00. – Dragon Quest III (Square-Enix) [24.8.2017] (was on sale)
02./00. – The Battle Cats POP (Ponos) [31.5.2015]
03./00. – Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) [23.11.2016] (was on sale)
04./00. – Dragon Quest II (Square-Enix) [10.8.2017] (was on sale)
05./00. – Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition (Microsoft Japan) [14.9.2017]
06./00. – Dragon Quest (Square-Enix) [10.8.2017] (was on sale)
07./00. – Kirby's Blowout Blast (Nintendo) [04.7.2017] (was on sale)
08./00. – The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) [16.6.2011] (was on sale)
09./00. – Fire Emblem Awakening (Nintendo) [19.4.2012] (was on sale)
10./00. – Bike Rider: Atsumete! Choujuu Hunter (Spicysoft) [24.2.2016] (was on sale)

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/580a04a3-0a7a-11e9-b104-0a6d14145cb1.html

Sadly, nothing for Week "52".

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Nintendo eShop Sales: January 3rd to January 9th 2019

Nintendo eShop – Nintendo Switch

01./00. – Futari de! Nyanko Dai Sensou! (Ponos) [20.12.2018]
02./00. – Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) [07.12.2018]

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/580a04a3-0a7a-11e9-b104-0a6d14145cb1.html

Sadly, nothing for Week "52".
Wow, that game is ranking above SSB ? Assuming that SSB sold something like 7k on the eShop this week (which I think we can all agree is a pretty modeste estimate), it might be already around 20-30k, making it quite successful all things considered.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-production begins before that...
Pre-production doesn't take 1-2 years, even the Metroid game Namco is helping on, only had months of pre-production, and started full development in January 2017. Also, the entire development team isn't needed during the final months, and planning on a new project usually overlaps with the previous one.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
So with this Dragon Ball games showcase on Monday we will finally see if Bamco is ready for this series to come to Switch day and date. The probabilities are very high but you never know.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Wonder if they are going win a one or two cart solution.

Most likely going to be one (big) cart. Square-Enix aren't an incompetent bunch like Capcom ;)

Wow, that game is ranking above SSB ? Assuming that SSB sold something like 7k on the eShop this week (which I think we can all agree is a pretty modeste estimate), it might be already around 20-30k, making it quite successful all things considered.

It's The Battle Cats, really popular series. Mobile game recently reached 41m donwloads:

It's also much cheaper and only available via eShop, so no wonder it's charting above Smash (which is expensive, and also available at retail). You can expect it to rank at the top of the Switch chart for a long while (I mean, the 3DS game hasn't left the Top 10 in ages).

Oct 29, 2017

The fact that they had an in-engine trailer up and running just a year and 4 months after starting development?

It would've taken much longer than that to get to that point if that is when pre-production started. Therefore, that must have been when the game entered into actual production.

That plus the fact that pre-production and prototyping on new Zelda games typically begins almost immediately after the release of each subsequent game (remember that Wind Walker HD came directly out of those initial development tests on Wii U).

5-6 years isn't crazy for a HD Zelda game. Hell Skyward Sword had a 5 year long development cycle and that was on the Wii! (Incidentally, part of the reason why Nintendo went open world with BOTW was because they realised that a traditional 3D Zelda, developed in the same manner as Skyward Sword, would've taken too long and have been too expensive to make. It would've suffered the same fate as The Last Guardian - so they realised that an open world style game would be actually be a lot more feasible to make; since they could abandon the traditional, handcrafted approach).

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

Everywhere else the rankings are based on 2 weekly downloads but Im not sure if that's the case in Japan. If its 2 weekly and assuming 10% digital ratio then the numbers are impressive indeed. It would be over 50k.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The Switch userbase would really buy Kingdom Hearts 3 and FF15 as those games are pretty close to Nintendo-ish games.

But KH3 is a 30 FPS action game with absurd graphics and FF15's scale is massive so uhhhhhhhh.

I never buy the BH2 on Switch comments, but is KH3 really that graphically demanding of a title? I've seen a commercial or two, but it didn't strike me as something terrible far removed from DQXI? Am I wrong?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they had an in-engine trailer up and running just a year and 4 months after starting development?

It would've taken much longer than that to get to that point if that is when pre-production started. Therefore, that must have been when the game entered into actual production.

That plus the fact that pre-production and prototyping on new Zelda games typically begins almost immediately after the release of each subsequent game (remember that Wind Walker HD came directly out of those initial development tests on Wii U).

5-6 years isn't crazy for a HD Zelda game. Hell Skyward Sword had a 5 year long development cycle and that was on the Wii! (Incidentally, part of the reason why Nintendo went open world with BOTW was because they realised that a traditional 3D Zelda, developed in the same manner as Skyward Sword, would've taken too long and have been too expensive to make. It would've suffered the same fate as The Last Guardian - so they realised that an open world style game would be actually be a lot more feasible to make; since they could abandon the traditional, handcrafted approach).
Sorry, that just isn't what happened, the "pre-production" for BoTW was actually just experimenting for the the Zelda series, they tried more than just Wind Waker, as they showed us other 3D Zelda titles. The Wind Waker HD was part of that pre-production and some of the Zelda team actually spent 6 months developing the game according to Nintendo. Nintendo didn't know exactly what they were going to do with the art direction and had no story for the game at first, they just had the concept of reworking the series. It spent 50 Months in real development, and some odd number of months on pre-planning in fall 2012.

Remember Eiji Aonuma was working on Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds, Hyrule Warriors, Triforce Heroes and Twilight Princess HD, and the 9 month port of BotW to Switch, all during the development of BotW. It's not so simple to say that pre-production was "Linked" only to BoTW, and therefore, it isn't really part of the development time, which is why officially, Nintendo stated 50 months, and they also said they wanted it done before 2017, but there was a delay.

Oct 29, 2017
Sorry, that just isn't what happened, the "pre-production" for BoTW was actually just experimenting for the the Zelda series, they tried more than just Wind Waker, as they showed us other 3D Zelda titles. The Wind Waker HD was part of that pre-production and some of the Zelda team actually spent 6 months developing the game according to Nintendo. Nintendo didn't know exactly what they were going to do with the art direction and had no story for the game at first, they just had the concept of reworking the series. It spent 50 Months in real development, and some odd number of months on pre-planning in fall 2012.

Remember Eiji Aonuma was working on Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds, Hyrule Warriors, Triforce Heroes and Twilight Princess HD, and the 9 month port of BotW to Switch, all during the development of BotW. It's not so simple to say that pre-production was "Linked" only to BoTW, and therefore, it isn't really part of the development time, which is why officially, Nintendo stated 50 months, and they also said they wanted it done before 2017, but there was a delay.

Nintendo is not a monolithic entity and all of those games were developed by different staff within EAD/EPD and their partner studios.

The only game out of that list that had any material impact on the development of BOTW was ALBW; and even then, the same could be said for any of EAD/EPD's games. Pikmin 3 would've had more of a direct impact on EAD/EPD's resources than any of those other games you mentioned.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is not a monolithic entity and all of those games were developed by different staff within EAD/EPD and their partner studios.

The only game out of that list that had any material impact on the development of BOTW was ALBW; and even then, the same could be said for any of EAD/EPD's games. Pikmin 3 would've had more of a direct impact on EAD/EPD's resources than any of those other games you mentioned.
Nintendo's pre-production of the game, according to Nintendo was that 2D version of BoTW that they created. That was done in 2012 and development started on botw in 2013. It was showcased 17 months later in it's first trailer, but the lighting engine was done for wind waker hd and other elements of the engine and game were borrowed from previous works. It's all in the GDC developers talk that he did in 2017.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I never buy the BH2 on Switch comments, but is KH3 really that graphically demanding of a title? I've seen a commercial or two, but it didn't strike me as something terrible far removed from DQXI? Am I wrong?
KH3 looks pretty dang amazing.

but moreso, it has a lot going on on screen at once, with lots of particle effects at any given time.
Not sure about the final release, but the ps4 had some pretty big drops in footage we've seen.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

BH2 is more doable than KH3. It targets 60fps on Xbox One and PS4. There is more room to cut there. Especially with it being more linear based they can cut corners.

KH3 is a lot more open, targets 30fps and has drops om PS4. That's a harder task.

KH3 looks pretty dang amazing.

but moreso, it has a lot going on on screen at once, with lots of particle effects at any given time.
Not sure about the final release, but the ps4 had some pretty big drops in footage we've seen.

This.

But dunno why it even matters. Neither of these games are coming to Switch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Pre-production doesn't take 1-2 years, even the Metroid game Namco is helping on, only had months of pre-production, and started full development in January 2017. Also, the entire development team isn't needed during the final months, and planning on a new project usually overlaps with the previous one.
Where are you getting this Metroid info from?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh. Wonder if this will surprise us when the Top 1000 numbers arrive. Very nice to see that it may have been still selling outside the charts.
I've since gave up on a sequel. TPC has been cocking this one up. the DLC was nice, but a sequel would have been better. I guess Bamco might have said no because they had Soul Calibur to put out?

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There many fighters on Switch with the last coming one month ago.

I'm sure Nintendo has different priorities right now from greenlighting another one.