• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Media Create will give the report for New Year's season but it won't be different from Dengeki. Switch had taken more than 70% of the market since Pokemon launched.

Since Media Create usually uses shorter window (I believe they "start" holiday season around Nov. 23 iirc from previous years, which makes more sense than Dengeki's super wide window), I wonder if there will be any discrepancies.

There are more than 50k unsold copies of Mario & Luigi RPG3.

Suddenly, releasing after Christmas seems like a bad idea, doesn't it.... wait, it already did before ;)

Rather curious release strategy, I understand they wanted to focus on Switch for Christmas, but it's like they wanted to make sure M&L sold as poorly as possible. And it's not like they wanted to spread releases to sustain sales in January for 3DS since they've quite clearly moved away from that platform (and I doubt they didn't know it wouldn't make one a bit of a difference). At least Christmas would have helped a tiny bit and avoid +70% of stock heading to bomba bins.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Mario & Luigi RPG3 was originally dated for 2019 and moved into 2018, Nintendo tries to save whatever is possible from these late 3DS releases. Kirby is also dated for this FY so that they are done with 3DS logistics of new software for the system.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The only Switch release Bandai must be disappointed is Billion Road. They were surely expecting something better than 50k LTD.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
The only Switch release Bandai must be disappointed is Billion Road. They were surely expecting something better than 50k LTD.

Yeah, I know I said this already, but I guess releasing so close to Super Mario Party wasn't the smartest thing to do. It's pretty clear which games people went to for their party/board game fix, and there's no Billy on Road in it.

Saving it for Golden Week would have been a better idea, I think.

Mario & Luigi RPG3 was originally dated for 2019 and moved into 2018, Nintendo tries to save whatever is possible from these late 3DS releases. Kirby is also dated for this FY so that they are done with 3DS logistics of new software for the system.

Actually sort of forgot about that, since the game is indeed releasing in 2019 in the west. But still, given the game was most likely completed several months ago, moving the release date to even December 20th wouldn't have hurt.

Last edited:

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Yeah compared to other sequels this year this one is fairing relatively well in its current release schedule.

Could end up with a drop similar to what DQH had a couple years ago, they should end up doing a DQH III later on but probably chose to wait a little bit before coming back later on to avoid fatigue and give the DQ spin-off slot to Builders.
If they manage it properly, alternating between Builders and Heroes could be a smart choice.

Now on to some late shower in Dengeki

42 58 PS4 Minecraft: PlayStation 4 エディション SIE 15/12/03 2,900 355,058
43 49 Switch Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze Nintendo 18/05/03 2,861 237,483
44 62 Switch POKKÉN TOURNAMENT DX Pokemon 17/09/22 2,833 311,594
45 32 3DS Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS 任天堂 14/09/13 2,800 2,507,185
47 67 PS4 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 KONAMI 18/04/26 2,728 252,099

1.2 Switch at 500k LTD, Arms 473k

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 3, 2019 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

{2019.01.17}
[NSW] Clouds & Sheep 2 _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Worker Bee) (¥1.833)
[NSW] Asdivine Hearts II _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.200)
[NSW] Mega Mall Story _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <SLG> (Kairosoft) (¥1.111)
[NSW] Dying: Reborn _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <ADV> (Coconut Island Games) (¥1.069)
[NSW] ABC Nanpure Word-a-Pix _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <PZL> (Rainy Frog) (¥740)
[NSW] Daifugo F.net _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| <TBL> (Flyhigh Works) (¥462)

[PS4] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown # <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600)
[PS4] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (Collector's Edition) <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥12.400)
[PS4] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| # <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600)
[PS4] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.100)
[PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Complete Edition <Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Ambush of the Imposters \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Betrayala of Comrades \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Collapse of Balance \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Dissonance of the Nexus> <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.200)
[PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Complete Edition <Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Ambush of the Imposters \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Betrayala of Comrades \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Collapse of Balance \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Dissonance of the Nexus> (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.200)
[PS4] Yakuza 4 <ADV> (Sega) (¥3.990)
[PS4] Yakuza 4 (ε) _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ADV> (Sega) (¥3.990)
[PS4] PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds <ACT> (PUBG Corporation) (¥3.056)

[XB1] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600)
[XB1] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| # <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600)
[XB1] Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (ε) _Download Version_ |DL| (Deluxe Edition) <STG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.100)
[XB1] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Complete Edition <Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Ambush of the Imposters \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Betrayala of Comrades \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Collapse of Balance \ Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Dissonance of the Nexus> _Download Version_ |DL| <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.200)

{2019.01.18}
[NSW] Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| # <ACT> (Marvelous) (¥2.980)
[NSW] Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes _Nintendo Switch Download Software_ |DL| (Packaged Download Version) <ACT> (Marvelous) (¥3.980)

[PS4] Kingdom Hearts: VR Experience |PlayStation VR| _PS Store Download Version_ |DL| <ETC> (Square Enix) (¥0)

[XB1] Alvastia Chronicles _Download Version_ |DL| <RPG> (Kemco) (¥1.203)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could end up with a drop similar to what DQH had a couple years ago, they should end up doing a DQH III later on but probably chose to wait a little bit before coming back later on to avoid fatigue and give the DQ spin-off slot to Builders.
If they manage it properly, alternating between Builders and Heroes could be a smart choice.

Now on to some late shower in Dengeki

1.2 Switch at 500k LTD, Arms 473k

Well Omega Force (co)developed Builders 2 so it's likely they didn't have the resources to do both that and Heroes 3 at the same time.

There's also a Monsters game coming as well though, and presumably a remake.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
They're still very close(13k is the biggest gap, on Famitsu?), I never denied that Switch would have better legs. That does nothing to change my original point.

Your original post said Builders 2 was a bomb, especially the Switch version. That's like verbatim. The numbers do not support either point, frankly.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your original post said Builders 2 was a bomb, especially the Switch version. That's like verbatim. The numbers do not support either point, frankly.

Okay yeah, bomb might have been a bit too strong but it's still showing a notable decline. Both SKUs of two have only now matches the first week sales of 3 SKUs of the first game and that came out in January. The point about the Switch result being relatively weaker still holds true.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
In the last threads we had users saying something like RE2 running on Switch was completely crazy and not realistic at all.

Here is how it runs on the GP2 WIN2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igu1tuNbDrM

No matter how many examples prove them otherwise - some people will just stop thinking the moment a publisher labels a title as AAA big budget and just assume that its not possible on a lower-spec system.
They're still very close(13k is the biggest gap, on Famitsu?), I never denied that Switch would have better legs. That does nothing to change my original point.
Your comparison didnt make much sense to begin with - multiplattform DQ on systems with a similar strong userbase is something different than series exclusivity with releases on the system with the by far biggest userbase.

"Brand awareness" doesnt mean a lot. There is no reason why the Switch version should sell MUCH better than the PS4 release early on.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your comparison didnt make much sense to begin with - multiplattform DQ on systems with a similar strong userbase is something different than series exclusivity with releases on the system with the by far biggest userbase.

"Brand awareness" doesnt mean a lot. There is no reason why the Switch version should sell MUCH better than the PS4 release early on.

Brand awareness and ties to certain hardware seems to mean a lot when games sell much better on PS4.

How? If PS4 hadn't received a bunch of DQ spinoffs and a mainline game I would see your point. PS4 userbase is just as built up for Builders 2 as the Switch one.

Dragon Quest was exclusive for pretty much a decade(and saw its highest selling games during that period) and still maintained a strong presence on 3DS after they started releasing games on PlayStation.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Dragon Quest was exclusive for pretty much a decade(and saw its highest selling games during that period) and still maintained a strong presence on 3DS after they started releasing games on PlayStation.

So presence on 2 completely separate systems from Nintendo means more than an actual significant presence on the PS4?

So putting it another way, all the DQ games on the DS and 3DS were more important to building the Switch userbase appetite for DQ games than SE releasing 3 very high profile spinoffs AND a mainline title on the PS4?!?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Brand awareness and ties to certain hardware seems to mean a lot when games sell much better on PS4.
What games are you talking about ? Please lets not dont bring up some niche "gamer" titles when the example at hand is Dragon Quest - the biggest and most mainstream 3rdParty IP since...well ever. The games you are talking about likely target a core gamer audience and usually will perform best on Playstation, because of the hardware. This doesnt have alot to do with brand awareness but customers deciding where to play what kind of content.

If i own a PS4 Pro and a Switch and spend most of the time playing on my 4K TV - im going to get game X on PS4 because of my preferences....not because i have the Sony logo tattooed on my arm.

Bringing up brand awareness with DQ when it has performed strong on every plattform it has been released is weird - people arent going to just stop playing DQ games on PS4 after 5 years just because the Switch is on the market.
How? If PS4 hadn't received a bunch of DQ spinoffs and a mainline game I would see your point. PS4 userbase is just as built up for Builders 2 as the Switch one.
It actually was more build up for the release of a successor since enough time pass there already was a DQ Builders release on Switch last year - its hard to get the same people to show up for a successor just a couple months later.

Last edited:

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
My Switch January prediction: 280k

Nintendo Switch sales week 1: 225k

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So now that 3ds hardware and software is tanking there is no way Nintendo will announce any future 3ds games, right? In 2017 hardware figures were good but last year they dropped like a rock. What's the point of any further support?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
So now that 3ds hardware and software is tanking there is no way Nintendo will announce any future 3ds games, right? In 2017 hardware figures were good but last year they dropped like a rock. What's the point of any further support?

From a sales perspective it probably doesn't make sense anymore to release more 3DS games. The question is how many 3DS games Nintendo has already finished and planned for release.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So presence on 2 completely separate systems from Nintendo means more than an actual significant presence on the PS4?

So putting it another way, all the DQ games on the DS and 3DS were more important to building the Switch userbase appetite for DQ games than SE releasing 3 very high profile spinoffs AND a mainline title on the PS4?!?

Those brand associations should carry over from device to device unless the suggestion is that the Switch userbase is fundamentally different from the audience who bought the DS and 3DS.

It's not like each PS hardware has had to build audiences back up for PS associated franchised every time.

What games are you talking about ? Please lets not dont bring up some niche "gamer" titles when the example at hand is Dragon Quest - the biggest and most mainstream 3rdParty IP since...well ever. The games you are talking about likely target a core gamer audience and usually will perform best on Playstation, because of the hardware. This doesnt have alot to do with brand awareness but customers deciding where to play what kind of content.

If i own a PS4 Pro and a Switch and spend most of the time playing on my 4K TV - im going to get game X on PS4 because of my preferences....not because i have the Sony logo tattooed on my arm.

You can't ask for examples and then pre-emptively dismiss them all.

Also even if you're correct and I accept your argument you are then saying that core oriented games fundamentally sell vastly better on PlayStation and main stream games sell only slightly better on Nintendo how is that not a bad thing?

I'd also definitely question your point when we're talking about a market who almost always chose Vita SKUs over PS4 SKUs for multiplatform games.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Those brand associations should carry over from device to device unless the suggestion is that the Switch userbase is fundamentally different from the audience who bought the DS and 3DS.

It's not like each PS hardware has had to build audiences back up for PS associated franchised every time.

Yea, there is definitely carry over. My point..again- how can you argue that this carry over can be stronger than actual mainline releases on the PS4! That's literally the definition of building up a platform for a franchise.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Also even if you're correct and I accept your argument you are then saying that core oriented games fundamentally sell vastly better on PlayStation and main stream games sell only slightly better on Nintendo how is that not a bad thing?

I'd also definitely question your point when we're talking about a market who almost always chose Vita SKUs over PS4 SKUs for multiplatform games.
I mean it's not a great arguement. The switch has 7 million owners in comparison to 3DS and DS's 20-30 million. The idea that because consumers owned and bought a DQ game on previous Nintendo system they must currently own a Nintendo Switch is just plain a poor one. There's a ton of factors your ignoring such as the price of the systems and how many were early or late lifecycle consumers.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I wonder what the next DQ will be.

DQXI will probably release in Summer. I guess there's Heroes 3 maybe at the end of the year and next year DQIII or DQIX remake?

And a DQ Monsters later on?

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I mean it's not a great arguement. The switch has a 7 million owners in comparison to 3DS and DS's 20-30 million. The idea that because consumers they owned and bought a DQ game on previous Nintendo system they must currently own a Nintendo Switch is just plain a poor one. There's a ton of factors your ignoring such as the price of the systems and how many were early or late lifecycle consumers.

Right. And again- the PS4 has had its actual audience cultivated for years. I'm honestly flummoxed by this argument- especially since the Switch version is in fact selling better.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Difference is that the PS4 pretty much reached its limit and what we can expect from the plattform while Switch is only just entering its 3rd year and has alot of time on the market left. You think mainstream titles ala DQ will perform the same way once Switch is at +15m compared to PS4 or later PS5 ?

Its always the same when using a small snapshot of time to back up statements well knowing that they wont be relevant anymore a couple weeks from now. So yeah, in your example you had to get your DQB2 Switch performance negativity out of the way early on because you/we knew how things would develop a couple of weeks after its launch. Its like Pachter saying the Switch is on track to sell 8m FY 2018 well knowing how absurd the prediction is without context.

"Brand" doesnt mean anything - the games performed MUCH better in the past because they were cheaper on portables and on system with a much bigger install base ( and for the most part exclusive). You had to buy the games on DS if you were a fan. Things would have looked different if all DS DQ titles would have been multiplattform.

The difference between a DS in its prime and whatever Sony achieved with the PS3 was MASSIVE - they were reasons why games performed that way on DS, it wasnt just brand awareness. If Switch had a 20m install base at this point, we obv. wouldnt have the same discussion.

Last point - if brand awareness for this generation was ana ctual thing it would be in Sony and Playstations favor anyway - SE/Sony did alot in the last couple years to establish the PS4 as the console to play DQ games on, while NIntendo was DoA with the WiiU and even Switch was a gamble - so much that Nintendo pretty much had to "moneyhat" every little last-gen port to get SE on board.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
VII, VIII were PS exclusives
IX is DS exclusive
X, XI are multiplat

These two last decades, the DQ brand has been present on both ecosystem, and only IX skipped PS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Another Vita physical release is dated for next fiscal year. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2019 is out at 25 April for PS4/PSV.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, there is definitely carry over. My point..again- how can you argue that this carry over can be stronger than actual mainline releases on the PS4! That's literally the definition of building up a platform for a franchise.

It's not like DQXI wasn't available for Nintendo players and it's not like it hasn't been announced for Switch since 2015.

It's very possible that we'll see the opposite scenario happen with PS5 where multiplatform brands are seeing their first entry on PS5 whilst having previous entries on Switch. A lot of those brands will still sell much better on PS5 than Switch.

I wonder what the next DQ will be.

DQXI will probably release in Summer. I guess there's Heroes 3 maybe at the end of the year and next year DQIII or DQIX remake?

And a DQ Monsters later on?

Monsters is already announced so that will be next, after DQXI S I guess.

VII, VIII were PS exclusives
IX is DS exclusive
X, XI are multiplat

These two last decades, the DQ brand has been present on both ecosystem, and only the IX skipped PS.

X was Nintendo exclusive for five years, it didn't launch as a multiplat.

I mean it's not a great arguement. The switch has a 7 million owners in comparison to 3DS and DS's 20-30 million. The idea that because consumers they owned and bought a DQ game on previous Nintendo system they must currently own a Nintendo Switch is just plain a poor one. There's a ton of factors your ignoring such as the price of the systems and how many were early or late lifecycle consumers.

That's definitely a good point, acknowledged.

Difference is that the PS4 pretty much reached its limit and what we can expect from the plattform while Switch is only just entering its 3rd year and has alot of time on the market left. You think mainstream titles ala DQ will perform the same way once Switch is at +15m compared to PS4 or later PS5 ?

Its always the same when using a small snapshot of time to back up statements well knowing that they wont be relevant anymore a couple weeks from now. So yeah, in your example you had to get your DQB2 Switch performance negativity out of the way early on because you/we knew how things would develop a couple of weeks after its launch. Its like Pachter saying the Switch is on track to sell 8m FY 2018 well knowing how absurd the prediction is without context.

"Brand" doesnt mean anything - the games performed MUCH better in the past because they were cheaper on portables and on system with a much bigger install base ( and for the most part exclusive). You had to buy the games on DS if you were a fan. Things would have looked different if all DS DQ titles would have been multiplattform.

The difference between a DS in its prime and whatever Sony achieved with the PS3 was MASSIVE - they were reasons why games performed that way on DS, it wasnt just brand awareness. If Switch had a 20m install base at this point, we obv. wouldnt have the same discussion.

Last point - if brand awareness for this generation was ana ctual thing it would be in Sony and Playstations favor anyway - SE/Sony did alot in the last couple years to establish the PS4 as the console to play DQ games on, while NIntendo was DoA with the WiiU and even Switch was a gamble - so much that Nintendo pretty much had to "moneyhat" every little last-gen port to get SE on board.

To the bolded: Well DQXI only sold a few hundred thousand more on 3DS than PS4 despite the 3DS having a userbase advantage of over 15m(~18m) units so it's not implausible. They launched within 200k of each other.

My point will still stand six weeks from now, and six months from now because the gap is never going to be substantial between the two SKUs.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen somebody try to spin so hard that they deserve to be a contestant on Wheel of Fortune.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oregano discussions has it's pros and cons. We get some nice debate to last us throughout the week but sadly the topic being brought up is rarely based in reality.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to find a good reason Konami ignores Switch for Jikkyou this year but releases it on Vita. It must be a very demanding game that only PS4 Pro can run property. Maybe after two years they will include Switch too.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
It's not like DQXI wasn't available for Nintendo players and it's not like it hasn't been announced for Switch since 2015.

It's very possible that we'll see the opposite scenario happen with PS5 where multiplatform brands are seeing their first entry on PS5 whilst having previous entries on Switch. A lot of those brands will still sell much better on PS5 than Switch.

So if I'm reading you correctly, a vague announcement of DQ XI for Switch is just as meaningful as DQ XI actually releasing on PS4? This coming from a poster who has thought the Switch version was going to be cancelled?

And your second point is just meaningless speculation- a made up scenario with zero evidence being used to support a point about the current market. Weak.

Raguy

Dec 20, 2017

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I have yet to find a good reason Konami ignores Switch for Jikkyou this year but releases on Vita. It must be a very demanding game that only PS4 Pro can run property. Maybe after two years they will include Switch too.

PSV version must be really cheap to develop. They probably think they can still squeeze about 80-100k when it's all said and done. Switch missing is pretty much non-sense; I can understand the first couple of years but at this point everyone could have seen PSV was going to die and PS4 wasn't able to pick up the vanishing audience.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I have yet to find a good reason Konami ignores Switch for Jikkyou this year but releases it on Vita. It must be a very demanding game that only PS4 Pro can run property. Maybe after two years they will include Switch too.

Must be a really cheap game to update. Like how the Wii still gets Just Dance games and the PS2 continued to get Madden and FIFA long after it stopped getting any other software. Low profit but also low investment.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if I'm reading you correctly, a vague announcement of DQ XI for Switch is just as meaningful as DQ XI actually releasing on PS4? This coming from a poster who has thought the Switch version was going to be cancelled?

And your second point is just meaningless speculation- a made up scenario with zero evidence being used to support a point about the current market. Weak.

My point is that DQ fans didn't have to buy a PS4 to play DQ games.

What do you consider substantial? Just so when we do come back to this in a few months we have a point of reference.

I think looking at it from a ratio pov might be better than a unit pov, I'd say if the Switch version ends up clearly above a 3:2 ratio that would be substantial.