• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I remember NNK1 being sold as Studio Ghibli x Pokémon with a sort-of action-y combat system. Not necessarily by Bamco themselves but my reviewers and forum goers. NNK2 looks like it's way better but without that novelty factor.
Ni no Kuni 2 is basically a completely different game The Ghibli look is still there, but eh.

Oct 25, 2017
NNK2 has zero to negative hype in America right now so it's probably going to bomb horribly.

I would guess Switch owners in America could maybe save VC4, but I'm guessing it's going to be releasing pretty close to Fire Emblem which will eat its soul.

?

Nintendo announced four major games for July: Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad, Splatoon 2 expansion, and Crash Bandicoot.

But September-December will probably have Smash, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon.
Sorry, meant after July. First party-wise, nothing from August to December had a concrete date

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I do hope we see a turn around from L5. It seems like Yokai Watch didn't take off as well as they had hoped in the West and 4 is nowhere to be seen.
Doesn't sound like Lady Layton has don't particularly well either with the Layton franchise being one of their biggest successes previously.

That soccer game doesn't look particularly good and it's limited to JPN and EU.

Snack world Switch looks about as nice as you could expect from an HD 3DS port. Not sure that'll move units, however.

I do wonder if their mobile initiative has hurt more than helped.
Maybe just anecdotal, but if I see a mobile port to a console or handheld that's full priced, I usually wouldn't be too interested. But you can't charge much for mobile games since that audience rejects anything over $15 most of the time.

Guess it also doesn't help that they just don't have a lot to release. They announce things way too far in advanced to the point that they'll either get cancelled or reworked.
That multi media mech game, Layton 7, there was a mobile SMT clone they announced like 6 years ago, that cool PS3 prototype, and more
I think Level-5's biggest problem is lack of IP control. They've produced a lot of successes, but they can't maintain them. It looks like they never make a (good) long-term plan for their series. Just look at how they add aliens and Avatars to Inazuma Eleven (2 and GO respectively) or instead of keeping the LBX from Danboru Senki a game, they develop it into some military thing. I haven't followed Youkai Watch, so I don't know about that one in particular. And another aspect of this same problem is merchandise. They oversaturate the market by releasing a super-innovative sequel every year and drown people in toys, plushies, and whatever merchandise they can sell to children. I doubt they create a Series Bible for each of their multimedia franchises wherein they create borders and come up with a plan for what kind of direction to push the series to in the following years.

Then there's the growing mobile gaming market. I think their plan to sell toys-to-life products for mobile apps aimed at children instead of IAP is a good one. It avoids empty creditcards and angry parents, it avoids breaking the immersion, and making the items physical allows them to develop the series out of mobile game boundaries. That's what they're trying with both The Snack World and Inazuma Eleven Ares. However, lack of experience in mobile game development in general has cost them a lot of time and money.

On the home console front, they're rebooting Youkai Watch and Inazuma Eleven now and aim both new series at a somewhat older audience than the original series (so basically, they target old fans). They make sure not to miss-match audience and platforms by going multiplatform, which sounds like the way going forward.

However, like you said, the mobile market and the dedicated console business are two very different things, and that's what I'm currently most worried about. Lady Layton, The Snack World and Inazuma Eleven Ares are all titles for mobile and for console. And I'm not sure that's a good idea. That may become a pitfall (or I am wrong, of course).

As for announcing things super-early, I don't think that will do the series themselves much harm. Whether such an early reveal adds something to the marketing campaign or whatever, probably not. I don't really have an opinion on that. Why would it necessarily hurt them?

Looking back on 2017, I think it was a disappointing year for Level-5, true, but I think Level-5 is one of those companies that will find another success within a reasonable amount of time and things will start to go better again. Ni no Kuni is mostly aimed at the west, so I can't say I care much about the Japanese numbers we'll get next week. The Snack World Gold for Switch is of course a quick cash grab, which is fine, because the anime still seems popular enough and the R&D costs for the project were probably very high. Such a port won't hurt, just like how Nintendo's Wii U ports won't hurt them, the games, or the franchises.

The most interesting thing for 2018 will be how Level-5 will handle the launch of a new era with, like I said, new Youkai Watch and Inazuma Eleven series, and hopefully a glimpse of their next multimedia project, which is probably Megaton Musashi. It's hard to judge that one right now, because we haven't seen anything of it yet. All we know is that it's something with mechas.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing that a 2D platformer that was demoed for 15 minutes at e3 and then vanishes for the next 9 months without one mention of it is going through problems and that Nintendo wanted to release it sooner.

Good-feel's dev cycle with Wooly World was also terrible making me more doubtful of how well Yoshi Switch is going.

There's no indication that Nintendo wanted to release Yoshi Switch sooner though. It always made sense for one of Kirby Switch or Yoshi Switch to be early in the year, and the other to come in the second half of the year. It was a near certainty that this would be the case after the announcement of the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port for early May. I doubt Nintendo were planning to release three first-party 2D platformers within like four months of each other.

Nintendo has focused almost exclusively on showing and talking about first-party games releasing through July of this year, and Yoshi Switch hasn't been shown off because it's slated to come out later in the summer or in the fall. The explanation is likely as simple as that.

Oct 26, 2017
There's no indication that Nintendo wanted to release Yoshi Switch sooner though. It always made sense for one of Kirby Switch or Yoshi Switch to be early in the year, and the other to come in the second half of the year. It was a near certainty that this would be the case after the announcement of the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze port for early May. I doubt Nintendo were planning to release three first-party 2D platformers within like four months of each other.

Nintendo has focused almost exclusively on showing and talking about first-party games releasing through July of this year, and Yoshi Switch hasn't been shown off because it's slated to come out later in the summer or in the fall. The explanation is likely as simple as that.

Why would they show Yoshi so much like 14 months ahead of its release then?

... This isn't one of Nintendo's top tier games or a game that had a great demo or that helps you "win" e3.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that a 2D platformer that was demoed for 15 minutes at e3 and then vanishes for the next 9 months without one mention of it is going through problems and that Nintendo wanted to release it sooner.

Good-feel's dev cycle with Wooly World was also terrible making me more doubtful of how well Yoshi Switch is going.
It's probably close to finish or even done but Nintendo is saving it up.

If we look over h1 line up for Switch there's already Kirby and DK, so it'd be too many 2d platforms to release Yoshi on top of those.

Releasing Yoshi instead of DK, might cannibalize its sales as both Yoshi and Kirby are casual targeted 2d platformers, and out of those two, they probably chose to release Kirby as its bigger IP, that can soften up rather weak H1 and sell well during golden week.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's probably close to finish or even done but Nintendo is saving it up.

If we look over h1 line up for Switch there's already Kirby and DK, so it'd be too many 2d platforms to release Yoshi on top of those.

Releasing Yoshi instead of DK, might cannibalize its sales as both Yoshi and Kirby are casual targeted 2d platformers, and out of those two, they probably chose to release Kirby as its bigger IP, that can soften up rather weak H1 and sell well during golden week.

Last time we saw it it looked pretty incomplete. So who knows if Yoshi is actually done.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So final COMG points for Kirby launch week are 328, 202 points since pre-orders stopped.
I think Zelda ended up with about 200 points, while MK8D finished with 452. So Kirby launch will probably land somewhere between 186K and 284K.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017

... This isn't one of Nintendo's top tier games or a game that had a great demo or that helps you "win" e3.

It allowed them to have a 2018 presence without having to showcase a game like Fire Emblem, Smash Bros., or one of their other bigger unannounced games for the second half of 2018 that they feel would benefit more from a focused marketing cycle from announcement to reveal to release and/or might have risked taking some of the spotlight off Super Mario Odyssey for no real benefit. It was either Kirby Switch and Yoshi Switch or Wii U ports like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2, and I think it's pretty understandable that they didn't want to focus on the latter for Switch's first E3.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I think after three main entries and one side entry we have a general idea of how large the Valkyria fanbase in Japan is, and that there is a hard cap on just how many people it can appeal to in the modern era of home console gaming in Japan. The prediction does not surprise me. I think the PS4 and Switch versions will open to the same numbers in Japan.

I also think it will do better this time in the west than VC1, which had an absolutely abysmal launch where it even tanked during holiday season. (Way) more platforms, more awareness, and Sega's outreach is stronger.

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (March 12 - March 18)

DYkaq94U8AA5nQ-.jpg

01/ N [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 328 pt
02/ N [PS4] Attack on Titan 2 (Normal Edition) - 35 pt

03/01 [PS4] Like the North Star (Normal Version) - 32 pt (-132 pt)
04/ N [NSW] Attack on Titan 2 (Normal Edition) - 27 pt
05/ N [PSV] Attack on Titan 2 (Normal Edition) - 23 pt

06/02 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World (normal edition) - 20 pt (-11 pt)
07/06 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 18 pt (+2 pt)
08/03 [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 17 pt (-6 pt)
09/ N [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Tanjou! Oretachi no Saikyou Body! - 16 pt
10/ N [PS4] Winning Post 8 2018 - 12 pt

11/07 [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders - 11 pt (-4 pt)
12/ N [PS4] Devil May Cry HD Collection - 10 pt
13/10 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 10 pt (-2 pt)
14/ R [PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - 7 pt
15/ R [3DS] Story of Seasons : Trio of Towns - 7 pt
16/ R [PS4] Metal Gear Survive - 6 pt
17/05 [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I: Kai - Thors Military Academy 1204 - 6 pt (-11 pt)
18/ N [PS4] Gal Gun 2 (Limited Edition) - 6 pt
19/13 [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 6 pt (-2 pt)
20/ R [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross Best Price! - 6pt

PS4: 10
NSW: 6
3DS: 3
PSV: 1

ComG! Week Sales, 2018 (March 05 - March 11)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5456955/

Last edited:

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017

who knows.
Maybe they wanted to show a 2018 game with coach multiplayer gameplay for the treehouse to balance out stuff like Metroid and Pokemon announcements.

maybe Yoshi is basically done, but they just want to release it later in the year to not be near kirby.

does the reason really matter?

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
18/ N [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 7 pt
06/18 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 16 pt (+9 pt)
07/06 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition - 18 pt (+2 pt)

Impressive.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
YSOs predictions for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and especially NiNoKuni 2 are really concerning. Depending on certain metrics they may even have a difficult time to even qualify as niche for certain people. But seriously, if these predictions reflect actual fw sales, it would be really bad and disappointing.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Yoshi is in dev hell, it's just that we have Kirby and DKCTF for these months so the timing isn't right for much Yoshi coverage.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I doubt Yoshi is in dev hell, it's just that we have Kirby and DKCTF for these months so the timing isn't right for much Yoshi coverage.
Yeah, I think it is fine, they may even be finished with it, just waiting, I don't think it would be wise to release 3 side scrolling games right next to each other.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi is done, and good-feel is already helping alpha dream with the 3d models in their next-oh wait

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's no reason to focus on it so far even if it's coming later this year.
Too similar to Kirby and there's like 5 other games to focus on between now and its potential launch.
It would be pretty weird if it's not at e3 seeing as it was playable last year. Yarn Yoshi Wii U did take a long time as it was essentially rebooted with how much it changed. Initial showing left a bit to be desired

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
VC4 seems a good effort but also a very late sequel. It'll be interesting to follow its performance on the two platforms, especially as Switch should collect FE audience sooner or later.

NnK2 performance is not surprising given how the former one on PS3 didn't do well either.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I keep seeing people comparing VC with FE, but they are not at all similar. VC is much more real-time focus, and much lighter on the "RPG" side. I don't see too much of an overlap.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I keep seeing people comparing VC with FE, but they are not at all similar. VC is much more real-time focus, and much lighter on the "RPG" side. I don't see too much of an overlap.

Personally, I'm not comparing the two games but I say that there might an audience overlap more than any other jRPG sub-genre.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
How much does Yoshi typically sell? Never really looked into it (nor did I with Kirby, and that turned out to be pretty massive, at least in Japan).

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
tbf we don't even know the release date of fire emblem.If it's a december release then I doubt there will be any overlap between two series,if there is any

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Amazon peddlers also sell the Splatoon 2 bundle for that price, seems like demand for that specific bundle is very high (is it the box or the stickers?).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
How much does Yoshi typically sell? Never really looked into it (nor did I with Kirby, and that turned out to be pretty massive, at least in Japan).

It depends. Yoshi's Island was a million seller on DS. New Island on 3DS did around 300k. The wool episode on Wii U sold poorly in Japan (around 100k) whole the 3DS porting did a bit better, around 150k. It is worth mentioning that Yoshi did a million worldwide on Wii U and the franchise seems quite popular in Europe.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It is the case of whether Fire Emblem fans which is srpg fans would love to try other srpg like VC series there.

YSOs predictions for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and especially NiNoKuni 2 are really concerning. Depending on certain metrics they may even have a difficult time to even qualify as niche for certain people. But seriously, if these predictions reflect actual fw sales, it would be really bad and disappointing.

It is always a niche title there considering it does not beat 200k sales.^_^

It depends. Yoshi's Island was a million seller on DS. New Island on 3DS did around 300k. The wool episode on Wii U sold poorly in Japan (around 100k) whole the 3DS porting did a bit better, around 150k. It is worth mentioning that Yoshi did a million worldwide on Wii U and the franchise seems quite popular in Europe.

Yoshi can be huge if the quality is there. If the quality is as good as the Wii U one, it will sell really well as this time, it is not on Wii U lol.^_^

silpheed-mcd

Oct 27, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (March 12 - March 18)

puucQvD.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

01/ N [NSW] Kirby Star Allies
02/ N [PS4] Attack on Titan 2
03/ N [NSW] Attack on Titan 2

04/01 [PS4] Like the North Star
05/02 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World
06/ N [PSV] Attack on Titan 2
07/03 [NSW] Splatoon 2
08/06 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
09/04 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition
10/ N [PS4] Winning Post 8 2018

GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (March 05 - 11)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5468185/

Last edited:

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon slowly goin for 3-4m in japan thanks to dat octo expansion. They really should bundle that dlc with the retail game later on. Smart way to keep the game relevant for yet another year.

Tbh i truly believe now Splatoon 2 can hit 10m worldwide after all said is done, so double the originals sales.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If Megaton Musashi is actually releasing within the next couple of years, I see it coming to the And/iOS/NSW/PS4 combo.
Not in Japan imo. I really don't see the next Yoshi selling 700-800k+.
Hm, yeah, more on a worldwide level yeah. Kirby is more popular in Japan. I think the NSW game can do significantly better than New Island on 3DS tho. That one wasn't received as well as older ones, including DS. I think 400k+ (maybe even 500k+) is a possibility, as long as the game is well-received of course.

AoT S3 's first trailer should be releaved before the end of march, this could help A.O.T. 2.
I think WOM is/will be good, so that trailer will definitely help.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (March 12 - March 18)

puucQvD.jpg

~ 1.200 stores

01/ N [NSW] Kirby Star Allies
02/ N [PS4] Attack on Titan 2
03/ N [NSW] Attack on Titan 2

04/01 [PS4] Like the North Star
05/02 [PS4] Monster Hunter: World
06/ N [PSV] Attack on Titan 2
07/03 [NSW] Splatoon 2
08/06 [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
09/04 [PS4] Rainbow Six Siege Advanced Edition
10/ N [PS4] Winning Post 8 2018

GEO Ranking Sales, 2018 (March 05 - 11)
https://www.resetera.com/posts/5468185/

No comment from GEO about overall sales, this time?