• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point in time, it's obviously Mario Kart 7 since it has had the time to show its ridiculous legs. Let's get back to the subject in 2023 if Splatoon 2 is still selling.

So MK7's legs will be more impressive because it charted 6 years after release even if ends up selling millions fewer than Splatoon 2?

I'm sorry but Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart or Splatoon for example are also kids and women friendly IPs. It's certainly not like the Switch library was only constituted of FPS. Maybe if there is a lack of kids customers for the Switch this could be due to the price being still quite high and the current model appearing way too fragile (Switch Mini anyone? :D) but I doubt it's mainly because of the library.

Mario is a platformer in a colorful cartoonish universe and Kirby is a platformer in a colorful cartoonish universe as well. Yes there are differences but seriously nothing that decisive to attract a totally different audience. Just like the fact that it has a 4 players coop option. I can understand that this option was a big deal for NSMB Wii as this was a new feature for a 2D platformer at the time but seriously that's not that big of a deal really nowadays. Doesn't Rayman even have the same option for example? New features can be important to sell software and hardware if they are totally novel just like the new direction of MH helped it a lot to make it a big system seller but a 4 players coop 2D platformer is nothing so groundbreaking in 2018 that it has to be an instant must have for many.

I don't really think a game needs to be ground breaking in order to bring in new audience to the Switch.
I also don't think that Mario being a platformer makes Kirby less of a draw - Mario ain't exactly cute in the same sense as Kirby while Rayman is a non-entity in Japan.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
If Megaton Musashi is actually releasing within the next couple of years, I see it coming to the And/iOS/NSW/PS4 combo.

Hm, yeah, more on a worldwide level yeah. Kirby is more popular in Japan. I think the NSW game can do significantly better than New Island on 3DS tho. That one wasn't received as well as older ones, including DS. I think 400k+ (maybe even 500k+) is a possibility, as long as the game is well-received of course.

If you were talking worldwide, then Yoshi almost always outsells Kirby (outside of 3DS, but Yoshi's new island wasn't recieved nearly was well as the Kirby entries)
so I wouldn't be surprised at all if that continues. Europe and the US seem strong for Yoshi. iirc, Woolly World passed 500k in the US alone of the wii U as per the last leak we got.

edit:
creamsugar said:
Kirby ~ 193
MP10 ~ 633
S ~ 849
SMM ~ 944
Yoshi ~ 457
January '16

edit 2:
It's going to be weird if Switch goes 24 months without a Mario Party entry. Always seems easy money.
But it's looking possible now. We'll see.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really think a game needs to be ground breaking in order to bring in new audience to the Switch.
Let's disagree about that then. Minecraft, Wii Sports, Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Monster Hunter, PUBG, the wheel in Mario Kart Wii, the 4 players coop mode in NSMB Wii, BOTW, Splatoon, etc, etc. It's obvious that there is a clear correlation between how unique and innovative a game is and its ability to be a huge success and a system seller. It's not enough, the concept can't only be innovative but also addictive too of course but it's pretty much mandatory. That's why Labo has the potential to be huge unlike any other Switch game for the first half of the year.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I didn't remember the past performance of both series correctly. My bad. Thanks for the rectification, Mory Dunz :)

I have celine's thread bookmarked lol.
Yoshi will likely sell more. Only reason I see why it wouldn't is if Yoshi is reviewed surprisingly poorly (like 50s), and is too similar to Woolly World or something.
Or if it releases at a horrible time.
I doubt either of those will happen.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Let's disagree about that then. Minecraft, Wii Sports, Brain Training, Wii Fit, Nintendogs, Monster Hunter, PUBG, the wheel in Mario Kart Wii, the 4 players coop mode in NSMB Wii, BOTW, Splatoon, etc, etc. It's obvious that there is a clear correlation between how unique and innovative a game is and its ability to be a huge success and a system seller. It's not enough, the concept can't only be innovative but also addictive too of course but it's pretty much mandatory. That's why Labo has the potential to be huge unlike any other Switch game for the first half of the year.
Hmm, by that logic sequels should not perform well, since they usually don't bring anywhere near the innovation that the original game does. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case: Pokémon is massively popular years after it first released even though it didn't reinvent the wheel a whole lot, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the biggest system sellers for the Switch.

I personally think it's more about the mass appeal of a franchise rather than its disruptiveness, and in that regard Kirby has a clear appeal (it's been a million seller several times). Of course, disruptiveness can increase a game's appeal (as it did with BOTW and SMO), but it's by far not the most important factor in the equation imo.

Kinda wonder, Kirby seems to be having stock issues on major regions. Wonder if it is having stock issues in France where the day 1 shipment was 70k.
It's sold out on amazon France at least. From what I can tell it's still available on the FNAC online store, though.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
2D platforming Kirby is one of the lesser variable nintendo franchises in terms of sales. weird to not meet demand you would think.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
2D platforming Kirby is one of the lesser variable nintendo franchises in terms of sales. weird to not meet demand you would think.
Maybe it's a former lesser Nintendo franchise now ;p

But yeah, quite strange. Sellouts seem to happen all over the world (not sure about US, though), so they definitely seem to have underestimated demand by a tad.

lesser variable as in doesn't change much in sales between entries. Despite system install base.
Not lesser as in value.
the wording was confusing.

"2D Kirby's sales don't vary much between entries compared with other Nintendo franchises" is better
Ah, I see. But the joke still stands: selling much more than expected would also destroy its reputation as a franchise whose sales are consistent between entries!

Last edited:

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, by that logic sequels should not perform well, since they usually don't bring anywhere near the innovation that the original game does. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case: Pokémon is massively popular years after it first released even though it didn't reinvent the wheel a whole lot, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is one of the biggest system sellers for the Switch.

I personally think it's more about the mass appeal of a franchise rather than its disruptiveness, and in that regard Kirby has a clear appeal (it's been a million seller several times). Of course, disruptiveness can increase a game's appeal (as it did with BOTW and SMO), but it's by far not the most important factor in the equation imo.

It's very logical, really: the more unique a great new concept will be the more obliged you will be to buy the platform it is releasing on. There is a reason also why even big IPs have to innovate to stay successful and if they fail to do that they disappear. Look at MH: it is a very big IP and yet MHW was even a much bigger system seller than anyone had predicted because it wasn't just a bland sequel but a totally new revamped version. Licences like Pokemon also are extremely unique from the start and thanks to that are still appealing.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a former lesser Nintendo franchise now ;p

But yeah, quite strange. Sellouts seem to happen all over the world (not sure about US, though), so they definitely seem to have underestimated demand by a tad.
lesser variable as in doesn't change much in sales between entries. Despite system install base.
Not lesser as in value.
the wording was confusing.

"2D Kirby's sales don't vary much between entries compared with other Nintendo franchises" is better

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten a Kirby in years. Just sort of feel like getting one again, personally. Part of that is wanting a game to play on Switch in particular. Part of that is just that it has been a while and I really liked Kirby as a kid.

I'll get it in a couple weeks.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten a Kirby in years. Just sort of feel like getting one again, personally. Part of that is wanting a game to play on Switch in particular. Part of that is just that it has been a while and I really liked Kirby as a kid.

I'll get it in a couple weeks.

Oh no, it's sounds like you're suffering from an acute case of Starving Switch Owner Syndrome MoonFrog!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, it's sounds like you're suffering from an acute case of Starving Switch Owner Syndrome MoonFrog!

treatment: throw 60 bucks to whatever trash 30 fps game you find.

now don't you feel better.

Lol.

I want to use the device more. I've been meaning to get around to some indies on it but I've been playing a lot of legacy software and what not. It is just...I really really like the Switch hardware (I love hybrid functionality in particular) and that does make this particular Kirby more attractive to me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

I want to use the device more. I've been meaning to get around to some indies on it but I've been playing a lot of legacy software and what not. It is just...I really really like the Switch hardware (I love hybrid functionality in particular) and that does make this particular Kirby more attractive to me.

I get what you mean. I'm tempted to buy AOT2 and/or Atelier just to have something different to play.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby sold out shortly after launch on Amazon US as well.

It's a very good sign for a game like this that isn't front-loaded and experiences a long tail.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Cart shortages are a thing on Switch. Seems like many games are usually undershipped because the software sales are amazingly high and carts are harder to manufacture in such large quantities.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that's exactly why they didn't meet demand, because they thought it was going to be like always.

Yeah, that's what it seems like:

Kirby: Planet Robobot - 145,000 FW (56% sell-through)
Kirby: Triple Deluxe - 214,000 FW (92% sell-through)
Kirby's Return to Dreamland - 137,000 FW (50% sell-through)

The YSO prediction was close to 200,000 for Kirby Star Allies, and the last time this happened with a mainline Kirby game it also had a very high sell-through.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Kirby doesn't typically get simultaneous worldwide releases like this. Combine that with the extra attention it got for being on Switch (and not several years late like Kirby typically is), and I could see them underestimating demand.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a bit weird to focus on mostly games that aren't out for awhile.
Splatoon 2 is out, but the octo expansion is in the summer.
Kirby just came out, DK is out in May, Mario Tennis in June.
I'm guessing it's just the commercial they'll mostly push in japan for the next 3 months.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I found it really weird that they didn't show a Power Shot at the end of the Tennis Part.
Like...really weird. Maybe it's the amateur video maker in me. They were rallying, rallying, louder, louder, then over.

All those 60 fps games being shown in 30 though. Oh wait, except kirby trash (lol)

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a bit weird to focus on mostly games that aren't out for awhile.
Splatoon 2 is out, but the octo expansion is in the summer.
Kirby just came out, DK is out in May, Mario Tennis in June.
I'm guessing it's just the commercial they'll mostly push in japan for the next 3 months.

Probably because there isn't much exciting for H1 and they are coasting on these for FY2017 Q4 and FY2018 Q1.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's very logical, really: the more unique a great new concept will be the more obliged you will be to buy the platform it is releasing on. There is a reason also why even big IPs have to innovate to stay successful and if they fail to do that they disappear. Look at MH: it is a very big IP and yet MHW was even a much bigger system seller than anyone had predicted because it wasn't just a bland sequel but a totally new revamped version. Licences like Pokemon also are extremely unique from the start and thanks to that are still appealing.

Not everything need disruptive sequels.

Sure MHW is one of the example where it succeed. There is also Toukiden 2 which flopped for trying to do too much.

Some game like NSMB and Kirby is the example of game that exist to target those casual audience who enjoy the slow and relaxing vibe the game provides. Suddenly moving to 3D plan for innovating would allienated all those old fans.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything need disruptive sequels.

Sure MHW is one of the example where it succeed. There is also Toukiden 2 which flopped for trying to do too much.

Some game like NSMB and Kirby is the example of game that exist to target those casual audience who enjoy the slow and relaxing vibe the game provides. Suddenly moving to 3D plan for innovating would allienated all those old fans.

That being said, HAL should definitely try their hand at a 3D Kirby on Switch. Certain parts of Star Allies make it seem like it could be in consideration.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That being said, HAL should definitely try their hand at a 3D Kirby on Switch. Certain parts of Star Allies make it seem like it could be in consideration.

A full 3D kirby i feel would be too complex for Kirby audience there if you ask me.

Casual audience would struggle even moving around there. However, a 2.5D like Mario 3D Land structure, i can see it goes better.^__

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There doesnt seem to be a OT for this so I guess I'll write here thst its BS that your character can only be slightly tarnish a it's darkest skin color :/