• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
In most places, yes. Stores are still selling all the stock they get and stores are still selling out. But they are not the the impossible to acquire item they used to be. If one goes early in the week or calls around a bit, you can get one.

And I will need to hear from some other Japan peeps, but the PS4 is back in stock everywhere I checked (4 stores: Jusco, Youme town, Best and Yamada).

As for used. My local book-off had 8 used PS4 units and 2 used Swich systems.

At the end of the day it's all anecdotal one way or the other, but I haven't seen a Switch out of stock notice for a good month or more now, at least in the times I've been to GEO and Yodobashi.
There were a couple times where there were only a handful of new ones on the shelf, but certainly not (at least in my view) a situation where I would've had to call around or get in ahead of time to find one.
PS4 was pretty much always in stock but for some reason lately neither GEO or Yodobashi has had them regularly, to the point where when I asked at Yodobashi last week the guy told me they just had empty boxes on a rack.

Don't know about YoumeTown since I don't get over there much, but this is Hakata Yodobashi (and sometimes Tenjin Bic Camera or Best Denki).

Oct 27, 2017
Starting next week we will finally see Switch software beat 3DS SW launch aligned once again. Kirby will be the biggest opening for a Switch game in 2018, and I still expect it to be a larger launch than what YSO predicted.
I'm assuming you mean up to this point in the year...

Splatoon 2 continues to grow more and more am

Heres something to think about. In Japan Splatoon 2 peaked over 300,000 players playing online at once, but in America the peak was a little around 4000 players lol.
Where are you even getting player count numbers from?

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
No problem. I snapped a photo if it's interesting. This was Monday:

photomar1221724pmv1upo.jpg

I really wonder what store owners think of all those gaijins taking pictures of video game stuff all the time :p

(Just kidding, pretty sure they don't give a crap, unless you're trying to steal something).

By the way, what's that big Konami box with the Wii logo on it?

Is the game in the new sku a download code or a physical copy of the game,btw?

It's the exact same bundle as last time, but with an artbook thrown in as extra, so it's physical copy. Don't think there's been a non-digital Switch bundle in Japan yet... come to think of it, I don't think there's been that many bundles with digital even for the 3DS.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
I think it'll be a creeping success. I don't expect it to place in the top place when it launches, but top 10 is doable, and I think it'll just sit in the top 20 for week after week after week

totally, never thought it would be a failure because of all the buzz around it. Whether people will like it or not, it's going to sell

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
People may go for the royal pack in digital form rather than buying a physical copy again for FFXV.

Not surprising see Four Princesses' bomb. Impressions so far are not good.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they were in stock all week. Fuku and I were talking about this yesterday lol. Not sure if they were in stock for the week of the last report, though, since it was something that we/I weren't/wasn't paying attention to.

Oh. Hadn't followed MC threads too closely for last few days. I guess we shall see in few weeks if the stock issues affected overall sales.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
After all, Yakuza gameplay is popular and Fist of the North Star is a hugely popular franchise in Japan (it also proved to be viable in the video game sector).

500k for Yakuza IP and 500k for FoTNS IP!

(Is Yakuza gameplay popular? I thought most of its popularity came from the ongoing storyline and likeable characters. It hasn't really had many imitators over the years).

Rip NIS and Your Four Knight Princesses Training Story...

It seemed like a solid game but man T_T

NIS princess bomba not even reaching top 20...

Completely forgot about that. Then again, it's the kind of indie-esque game that NISA were releasing on Vita and was selling sub-5k FW, so split among three platforms - it was never gonna show up.

The west will save it!

Bigger drop for dragon quest builders than I thought would happen

COMG seemed go be showing a softer drop.

Umibozu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hokuto opening over 120k.
Monster hunter: world snd splatoon 2 continuing to show their legs.
Switch sales flat while ps4 sales saw a slight increase.
A not too eventful week overall.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
could we expect 100k sales for Kirby in the next media create? seeing how big Kirby is in Japan it probably could, right?

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
How did FF XV do in the rest of the world? I know Japan REALLY didn't like it but maybe those sales are not so bad when compared to the west? Royal Edition probably didn't sell a lot outside of PC

Boring week

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this has been posted yet, interactive Pokedex in the Pokémon Center TOKYO DX:

The 3D renders look really good. Will they be used in Pokemon Switch?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Those numbers for Fist of the North Star are ok but nothing special. Maybe Japan feeling a bit over saturated with Yakuza games at this point? Yakuza 0, Kiwami, 6, Kiwami 2 and this all released in a 3 year span

That theory would only work if they were trending down though

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, just realised that NIS' new game didn't even chart, so less than 3 321 units for the best-selling version... yikes.
For a while now, I've been feeling that NIS's lineup has been rather lackluster. A lot of smaller, cheaper looking games that appeal to a more narrow audience. They should take some more risks and make more larger budgeted games than just Disgaea.
But people usually return from smoke breaks.
World went out for a pack of smokes and never came back

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
It's over 1 year later and Zelda is in the top 5 software for the week.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Crappy Builders hold. Expected more from the online weekly charts from last week. The 100K dream is dead.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
At the end of the day it's all anecdotal one way or the other, but I haven't seen a Switch out of stock notice for a good month or more now, at least in the times I've been to GEO and Yodobashi.
There were a couple times where there were only a handful of new ones on the shelf, but certainly not (at least in my view) a situation where I would've had to call around or get in ahead of time to find one.
PS4 was pretty much always in stock but for some reason lately neither GEO or Yodobashi has had them regularly, to the point where when I asked at Yodobashi last week the guy told me they just had empty boxes on a rack.

Don't know about YoumeTown since I don't get over there much, but this is Hakata Yodobashi (and sometimes Tenjin Bic Camera or Best Denki).

Unfounded speculation follows:

I wonder if it might be a demographic thing. The places I usually go to are department stores or appliance stores that have game sections. Families do their shopping there and these are the places kid-friendly garbage like "Sumiko Gurashi" will sell out and Monster Hunter World doesn't.

Bic Camera and Yodobashi are places gamers go for games (and I have neither in my town). I would imagine PS4 stuff, and less casual fare, sells better there. MHW sold out day one at these stores (if memory serves). Alternately, I posted pics of the game in stock day 3 at, I think it was, Jusco.

Without a lot more data points I can't really form any conclusion. But if you have a chance, try some of the department stores and see if there is a difference. Also, I'll be in Hakata in a few weeks for a wedding, so maybe I'll check some of those places out too.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon 2 continues to grow more and more am

Heres something to think about. In Japan Splatoon 2 peaked over 300,000 players playing online at once, but in America the peak was a little around 4000 players lol.
_ my own source
I'm rather interested in these numbers, what do you mean by your own source?
Is it from somewhere that's reliable?

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Zelda's continued momentum is pretty outstanding, it must have incredibly strong word of mouth there

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I really wonder what store owners think of all those gaijins taking pictures of video game stuff all the time :p

(Just kidding, pretty sure they don't give a crap, unless you're trying to steal something).

I do occasionally get weird looks, so I try not to take photos too often.

I didn't really look at that box, but I think it's this:

102100050.jpg

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you're claim is wrong? There are other bundles also available. The 500GB version is sold out, not "the PS4 is sold out".

The Pro increased because of the new Pro model.
Its true what you say, but in this case, i dont think those bundles really mean that much regarding the talk about stock problems. As KillerMan91 mentioned, its not sure that people want to pay for the game thats being bundled, paying thousands of yen extra.

Last edited:

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017

Pretty sure it's a physical copy.
Comes out on March 17 with stickers so I'm not sure if it's counted as a new bundle

It's the exact same bundle as last time, but with an artbook thrown in as extra, so it's physical copy. Don't think there's been a non-digital Switch bundle in Japan yet... come to think of it, I don't think there's been that many bundles with digital even for the 3DS.
so 40k+ for splatoon next week then :P

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The Kirby review thread is on fire now because the score is ~10% lower than the 3DS Kirby games, but I don't speak it'll affect the Japanese sales negatively in a very significant way. The game shifts focus to the multiplayer while the singleplayer is a bit disappointing compared the 3DS games. However, from what I've heard from reviewers personally so far, it seems to me that it's not that bad that it will scare off players, and since Japan has so many Kirby fans, I think most people will be able to find a couple friends to play with.

So my expectations for the game's performance remains unchanged.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Unfounded speculation follows:

I wonder if it might be a demographic thing. The places I usually go to are department stores or appliance stores that have game sections. Families do their shopping there and these are the places kid-friendly garbage like "Sumiko Gurashi" will sell out and Monster Hunter World doesn't.

Bic Camera and Yodobashi are places gamers go for games (and I have neither in my town). I would imagine PS4 stuff, and less casual fare, sells better there. MHW sold out day one at these stores (if memory serves). Alternately, I posted pics of the game in stock day 3 at, I think it was, Jusco.

Without a lot more data points I can't really form any conclusion. But if you have a chance, try some of the department stores and see if there is a difference. Also, I'll be in Hakata in a few weeks for a wedding, so maybe I'll check some of those places out too.

Well I'm struggling to think of where that would be in the city--the 3 main ones in the city center I frequent (Tenjin Bic Camera, Tenjin Best Denki, Hakata Yodobashi) are pretty much the main electronics stores in the whole area, and department stores like Hankyu don't sell video games anywhere as far as I know.
GEO is a multimedia store where games and PCs/phones are front and center so I suppose the demographic might also be different there, but YoumeTown (in my head) is the sort of place you really only go if you're a family with a car.

There's a MisterMax over near my apartment that does sell video games, but I don't recall seeing many if any systems there at all, regardless of stock. But yeah, if there is a distinct difference between dept. stores and media/electronics stores in terms of stock then I am only remotely aware of the latter.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm rather interested in these numbers, what do you mean by your own source?
Is it from somewhere that's reliable?

Yes and anyway Splatoon 2 will grow more and more in Japan and that's exciting. And hopefully more Western players pick up the game with the expansion pak , and the ever lasting support the game gets from Nintendo.

Imo the game needs more QOL features ie make me skip the intro >.<

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Well I'm struggling to think of where that would be in the city--the 3 main ones in the city center I frequent (Tenjin Bic Camera, Tenjin Best Denki, Hakata Yodobashi) are pretty much the main electronics stores in the whole area, and department stores like Hankyu don't sell video games anywhere as far as I know.
GEO is a multimedia store where games and PCs/phones are front and center so I suppose the demographic might also be different there, but YoumeTown (in my head) is the sort of place you really only go if you're a family with a car.

There's a MisterMax over near my apartment that does sell video games, but I don't recall seeing many if any systems there at all, regardless of stock. But yeah, if there is a distinct difference between dept. stores and media/electronics stores in terms of stock then I am only remotely aware of the latter.

Way back in the day, Mister Max was the only place that had Wii systems in stock. :)

But yeah, I'm in the inaka here and that might be an even bigger factor than the type of store.

It's all very interesting.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Splatoon man. My favourite success story.

In the direct they talked of the Octo Expansion in terms of it being the 'first' expansion DLC, and it's coming out around a year after the release of the base game. I wonder if their long-term plans for Splatoon might be a release schedule akin to Destiny?

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Way back in the day, Mister Max was the only place that had Wii systems in stock. :)

But yeah, I'm in the inaka here and that might be an even bigger factor than the type of store.

It's all very interesting.

One place I never have a good read on is Manga Warehouse, if you've ever been out there around Kaizuka Station. I bought my used Vita there and they have all manner of games on shelf (from Famicom to PC-Engine to Saturn to current gen) but it's a bit out of the way so I don't know who is serviced by such a shop.