• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Was really nice having actual concrete data to work with. Hope we can get enough data to paint an accurate portrayal of the Japanese market. It's especially bad timing with Switch about to dominate the market this year.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Dengeki

[PS2] Devil May Cry - 393.000 / 622.000
[PS2] Devil May Cry 2 - 299.000 / 479.000
[PS2] Devil May Cry 3 - 182.000 / 289.000
[PS3+360] Devil May Cry 4 - 244.000 / 380.000
[PS4+XB1] Devil May Cry 5 - 129.000 / ***.*** (75% sell-through)

[WII] Kirby's Epic Yarn - 94.000 / 468.000
[3DS] Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn - 9.000 / **.*** (35% sell-through)

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If that was the case, i wonder why it took so long and what made things change. After all Its not the first year that hardware sales have been weak.

3DS and PS4 were completely different markets, NSW and PS4 are pretty much the same ballpark in terms of price and gameplay possibilities for the standard 3rd party Japanese developer (aka not Capcom/Square and their AAA output).

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
3DS and PS4 were completely different markets, NSW and PS4 are pretty much the same ballpark in terms of price and gameplay possibilities for the standard 3rd party Japanese developer (aka not Capcom/Square and their AAA output).
Thats true, but i dont know if that changes too much. Before we have systems that are in the same market, PS3/Xbox 360/Wii, 3D/ Vita, WiiU/PS3/PS4, and PS4/Switch/Xbox One.

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
2019 will be Sony's worst year ever for hardware sales.
Thats possible, but theres been reasons to hide hardware sales for many years due to low hardware sales. The Wii outsold the PS3 big time for the first years for example. Not to mention 3DS VS Vita. Thats why i wonder what made e.g Media Create change their mind on this now, if this should be the reason. And couldnt Media Create just stop posting hardware sales and continue with public software sales in that case?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but do they seriously care about Japanese sales to a point they'd force MC to stop giving public numbers (at least weekly? I'd suspect monthly would be gone too in that case)?
Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are all subscribers at Media Create. Most of big Japanese third parties too.

Media Create's big problem, if there was this kind of pressure, is that it's a small company with no other source of income. It's not a good idea to displease hardware and software makers that don't want to see their sales data shared.

This move will have real effect only if the other trackers follow though, it's a wait and see. NPD went completely private for the same reason.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it rumoured that it was Sony who pressured NPD to stop releasing data last gen?

Not sure if there was any truth to it.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Thats possible, but theres been reasons to hide hardware sales for many years due to low hardware sales. The Wii outsold the PS3 big time for the first years for example. Not to mention 3DS VS Vita.
PS3 had PSP and PSV had PS4.

The future for Sony is only one system, decline in Japan next years is inevitable and this year things will look very bad after March.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Ho I thought you were speaking about Microsoft

lol
Why do you think Phil Spencer personally went to Japan in more recent time? :P /s

PS3 had PSP and PSV had PS4.

The future for Sony is only one system, decline in Japan next years is inevitable and this year things will look very bad after March.
Thats true, but there were periods with previous systems that had the lowest hardware sales ever for Sony as well, especially with Vita and PS4. I just think that there would be reasons to pressure the sales tracker in previous years too in that case. I just find it kinda strange if this time its the first time such request had been put forward, if this is the case. Especially if that was the reason for why NPD stopped publishing public numbers many years ago (then they could have done the same in other places in the world too). If its not the first time its being requested, i wonder why Media Create folded this time and not before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Thats true, but there were periods with previous systems that had the lowest hardware sales ever for Sony as well, especially with Vita and PS4
Like I said before there were not. This will be Sony's worst year in Japan as hardware maker with only exception maybe PS first year. The odds this trend will change next years isn't in favor of Sony.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So in the span of 9 months, the Switch could get a 2D Mario, a mainline Yokai Watch, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, the next generation of Pokemon games, Luigi's Mansion, a 2D Zelda, the definitive edition of a mainline Dragon Quest game, a rumoured Monster Hunter game, a rumored Persona game and a revision.

It might be the biggest avalanche of high selling games on a platform ever.

Last edited:

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Switch's June - August lineup is really filling up. Nintendo's got the summer locked down again this year worldwide.

Last year June to August 2018:

Blazblue: Cross Tag Battle
Sushi Striker
Hollow Knight
Fortnite
Mario Tennis Aces
Ys VIII
Wolfenstein 2
Crash N-Sane Trilogy
Shining Resonance Refrain
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Octopath Traveler
Sonic Mania Plus
Dead cells
Overcooked 2

Half of them, while varied in genre and style, are old ports and rereleases

June - August 2019 so far:

Yokai Watch 4
Super Mario Maker 2
Crash Team Racing
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (west release)
Attack on Titan 2: Final Battle
Kill la Kill: If
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Astral Chain

"Summer"

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Daemon X Machina
Oninaki

Most of the games are brand new and imo overall average scale of each game is bigger with more potential for sales (except fortnite :p) And we're still a little while away, who know what may show up between now and after E3

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before there were not. This will be Sony's worst year in Japan as hardware maker with only exception maybe PS first year. The odds this trend will change next years isn't in favor of Sony.
You're right that 2019 will possibly be the lowest ever up to this point. I just mean that theres always a time where hardware is at the lowest level in its history. Like in 2010, Sony hardware were close to 4.6 million, while in 2017 it was down to about 2.1 million. I dont know if ~2.1 million was the lowest ever at that time, but probably close at least. 2019 will be even more down however, but i think a 2.1 million limit is also fairly low if we compare it to the earlier years, so wouldnt that also be a reason to want to not make hardware numbers public?

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
90% of the Three Houses hate is copy and pasted from Xenoblade 2 hate.

"Too anime"
"Bad graphics"
"Boring Direct segment"
"Too anime"
anime.jpg

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Things have gone rough for Sony last years in Japan.

2014 - 2.696.278
2015 - 2.618.984
2016 - 2.711.143
2017 - 2.156.752
2018 - 1.903.751

2019 has serious chances to end below 1,5m.

hiska-kun

Oct 26, 2017
If MC is out I will need some time to remake all graphs with another tracker, so maybe i will take a break for a while.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Thats possible, but theres been reasons to hide hardware sales for many years due to low hardware sales. The Wii outsold the PS3 big time for the first years for example. Not to mention 3DS VS Vita. Thats why i wonder what made e.g Media Create change their mind on this now, if this should be the reason. And couldnt Media Create just stop posting hardware sales and continue with public software sales in that case?
Let me give you a possible reason as to why now (I could be 100% off of course, and probably am). It's not like I believe in it, but it could be true.
The way I see it, it could be all about Japanese support for PS5.
PS5 will come out a year from now. Let's say that Sony has a few Japanese software deals in place for their launch year, as opposed to PS4 launch. Let's also say that for various reasons (e.g. relative Switch dominance), Sony are not entirely confident how well these will do in Japan.

Now if everything is out in the open, a potential lack of success of some of these games might affect decisions by some Japanese software developers.
Same goes for PS5 sales - if for various reasons they are initially not as good as one can hope, this might also affect the decisions of some Japanese software developers.

On the other hand, if no numbers are out in the open, you control the story and the public perception - we shipped a ton of PS5 in Japan to great acclaim (only a quarter were bought but no one knows at this stage) and some large amount of software (lots of it bundled and the rest just from one of the games, the rest were flops, but no one will know).

This is all out of my ass, I am just giving an example of why Sony could be motivated now as opposed to previously.

Added: You could say that some of these reasons could have also been there in the past - to which I would add:
1. It seems more extreme now, at least to me
2. Different management
3. Some people learn from the past and change their behavior. They "allowed" it in the past, they think it hurt them, so they decided to no longer "allow" it.

All the above assumes that Famitsu and Dengeki also stop at some point before next year, otherwise none of the above makes sense, since numbers will still be out there.

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Obviously companies prefer to spread their own narratives about their sales against hard facts when they're not at their advantage. But in the end it's more about brand image control than influence on third party pubs, cause I imagine these have access to the data.
Only mainstream audience isn't aware.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
according to this, Destiny Connect was made with Unreal Engine. can anyone verify?

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
It seems there's only one SKU this time indeed.

Btw, the cover's background is a callback to the original game

yw4_001_cs1w1_371x.jpg

666px-Yo-Kai_Watch_Japanese_cover_art.PNG

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
So 25k shipment for Kirby, it should be... alright?
Bomba bins are full of new releases this year, last thing retailers wanted was another entry. In theory they won't have problem to sell it at full price. We knew from 20% first day sell-through that shipment would be very low for a Nintendo game.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
90% of the Three Houses hate is copy and pasted from Xenoblade 2 hate.

"Too anime"
"Bad graphics"
"Boring Direct segment"
"Too anime"
One difference though: in XB2 direct people were bored with gameplay (HP sponge enemy), while FE barely showed any gameplay and spent too much time on lore.
Lol. I never noticed that. And both complain about too anime come from a series which literally had anime for the series lol.
It's always about what kind of anime. Though to be fair, XB and XB2 don't have THAT much big of a difference except the over abundance of waifu. FE though, anime military school gives instant trash light novel vibe, and I'm speaking as someone who know these stuff all too well.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
One difference though: in XB2 direct people were bored with gameplay (HP sponge enemy), while FE barely showed any gameplay and spent too much time on lore.
That's because Fire Emblem gameplay has had a base for 15 games most people already know it and they aren't changing it, also to be fair is really easy to understand and they will probably go more in depth about new gameplay mechanics when the release is closer.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses marketing has barely even started, there's still a long way to go. And I assume we'll get plenty of gameplay at E3 during Treehouse Live.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's because Fire Emblem gameplay has had a base for 15 games most people already know it and they aren't changing it, also to be fair is really easy to understand and they will probably go more in depth about new gameplay mechanics when the release is closer.
It's not like XB2 totally changed XB1 or XBX system. The thing is they clearly have something new: upgrading units at school, the "following soldiers", etc. But none of them was explained properly. It's especially baffling after Fate was universally bashed for the lore and praised for gameplay, IS was like "yeah, I bet LORES are what fans want".

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not like XB2 totally changed XB1 or XBX system. The thing is they clearly have something new: upgrading units at school, the "following soldiers", etc. But none of them was explained properly. It's especially baffling after Fate was universally bashed for the lore and praised for gameplay, IS was like "yeah, I bet LORES are what fans want".
Or they went "we need to prove that we can establish good lore for this game, people already know gameplay will be great."