• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Since 3rd party enthusiasm is such a hot topic I decided to round up what the major Japanese 3rd parties had actually announced for both PS4 and Switch by their first anniversaries. It's pretty enlightening I think.

Bandai Namco PS4
  • M3 Sono Kuroki Hagane /// Mission Memento Mori
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
  • Summer Lesson
  • Gundam series (became Gundam Battle Operation Next?)
  • The Idolm@ster series (became The Idolm@ster: Platinum Stars?)
Bandai Namco Switch
  • Namco Museum
  • One Piece Unlilimited World R - Deluxe Edition
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch
  • Pokkén Tournament DX (Nintendo)
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - Deluxe Edition
  • Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 Plus
  • Gotouchi Tetsudou for Nintendo Switch
  • Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
  • SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
  • Dark Souls Remastered (From Software)
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Nintendo Switch Edition
  • My Hero Academia: One's Justice
  • Tales of series
Capcom PS4
  • Strider
  • Resident Evil HD Remaster
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Deep Down (vaporware)
Capcom Switch
  • Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
  • Monster Hunter XX - Nintendo Switch Ver.
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
  • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  • Okami HD
  • Mega Man 11
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2
  • Ace Attorney series
Koei Tecmo PS4
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - Complete Edition
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
  • Nobunaga no Yabou Online: Tenka Mugen no Shou
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
  • Samurai Warriors 4
  • Shin Sangoku Musou Online Z
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence: Fame and Power Edition
  • Bladestorm: Nightmare
  • Dead or Alive 5: Last Round
  • Samurai Warriors 4 II
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (Bandai Namco)
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
Koei Tecmo Switch
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch (Square Enix)
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power-Up Kit
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power-Up Kit
  • Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
  • Champion Jockey Special
  • Winning Post 8 2017
  • Fire Emblem Warriors (Nintendo)
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires
  • Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
  • Nobunaga no Yabou: Taishi
  • Atelier Lydie and Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 - Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco)
  • Winning Post 8 2018
  • Attack on Titan 2
  • Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Nintendo)
Konami PS4
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2015
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Silent Hills (canceled)
Konami Switch
  • Super Bomberman R
Level 5 PS4
  • Wonder Flick R (canceled)
Level 5 Switch
  • The Snack World: TreJarers Gold
  • Inazuma Eleven: Ares no Tenbin
Marvelous PS4
  • Senran Kagura: Estival Versus
Marvelous Switch
  • Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star
  • Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura
  • Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
  • Peach Ball: Senran Kagura
  • Story of Seasons series
Sega PS4
  • Ryu ga Gotoku: Ishin!
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Yakuza 0
  • Persona 5 (Atlus)
Sega Switch
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Forces
  • Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • Shining Resonance Re:frain
  • Sonic Mania Plus
  • Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus)
Square Enix PS4
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online: Heavensward
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Kingdom Hearts III
Square Enix Switch
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch
  • I am Setsuna
  • Spelunker Party!
  • Seiken Densetsu Collection
  • Dragon Quest X Online: All-in-One Package
  • Lost Sphear
  • Dragon Quest X Online: 5000-nen no Harukanaru Kokyou e
  • Romancing SaGa 2
  • Dragon Quest Builders
  • Octopath Traveler
  • SaGa: Scarlet Grace
  • The World Ends with You: Final Remix
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What were the biggest games to skip PS4 after 2014?

I know Tales of Zestiria was one glaring example in 2015 but I'm generally thinking that by 2016 there were very few franchises that were skipping the platform. The ones that were skipping it were Nintendo affiliated but most of those are on PS4 now too.

The PS4 was getting day-and-date multiplatform games from Day 1.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Level-5 is planning to make a new game on the scale of an MMORPG that they seem to intend to announce this year: https://gematsu.com/2018/03/level-5-ceo-teases-mmorpg-scale-20th-anniversary-title

They're clear it won't actually be an MMO, so it will probably be four player co-op like most modern stabs in the proximity of the genre.

I imagine it's a PS4 game then.

EDIT:
lolno. Not in Japan.

Yakuza was multiplat on launch day.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The norm for AAA devs was 3 years on PS3 and 5 years on PS4 so.... uhh, I don't see room for optimism that the PS5 norm will be less than 6 years.

We're kind of getting there though, no?

This is the other reason why every AAA game is turning into a service platform, because they need to last for half a decade.

I'm not saying that you're wrong (for western game devs at least), just that it's absolutely not sustainable for the industry to have 7-year development cycles as the new norm. Besides, I doubt many japanese games had 5+ years of development this gen, except for the few big exceptions (FFXV, KH3, Zelda, MHW).

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the thing. Namco already hired Virtuos to port Dark Souls, and Take-Two hired them for L.A. Noire.

How many projects can Virtuos handle at once, and how many other port houses can work with Japanese games given the language barrier?

Probably quite many. It's a really big studio.

Virtuos is one of the largest game developers, providing the highest quality games and art to publishers and developers worldwide. We have more than 1000 staff.

Panic button is a dwarf with like 20-40 people (i guess, looked on linkedin a few weeks ago) and can handle a few ports at once

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Getting out of the graphical arms race with western developers has probably been a net positive for japanese devs.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 early Japanese support was bad. Like, that was literally a discussion topic here for years.

It didn't start turning around until about the time of Dragon Quest Heroes a year after launch, and even then it took six more months to really get going.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017

PS4 got a total of 14 Japanese 3rd party retail games in 2014. 14 total!

I guess you can argue in somewhat good faith that 3rd parties showed more initial excitement based on announcing games that came out years later, but if you want to talk actual facts about PS4 support in 2014 and 2015 compared to Switch you just cannot argue that PS4 is better. It just falls apart.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Probably quite many. It's a really big studio.

Panic button is a dwarf with like 20-40 people (i guess, looked on linkedin a few weeks ago) and can handle a few ports at once
There's a bunch of contract port houses in Asia besides Virtuos. Off the top of my head there's also Tose, XPEC, Streamline, Original Force, Keywords... just check the end credits of about AAA game and you find a bunch of these companies. Tose, Virtuos and OF all have over 1000 dev staff iirc.

I also think Tantalus is likely well suited to deal with any language barrier given they worked with EPD on Twilight Princess HD and they have a time zone advantage that studios in Europe or America would not.

edit: Also Bandai Namco Singapore does 3rd party contracting. Not just for Nintendo, they also worked on Monster Hunter World for example.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't feel it is a technical issue, it is more of a business consideration that we are not privy to.
A cynical view could be that devs learned the wrong lesson from their test games like Xenoverse.
"We can make more money from people double dipping if we release a switch port a year later"
I wonder if Nintendo would get many third party Japanese games if the Switch 2 was very similar to the PS4 in power and architecture and they made it very clear about these features years ahead of time.

Just allow Japanese developers to use their PS4 engine/assets instead of having to build new engines and assets.

Then again, KH4 and MH6 would probably still be on PS5 and not Switch 2.
Switch runs UE4 and most of the middleware readily available. Switching to x86 from the more mobile friendly ARM doesn't make much sense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 early Japanese support was bad. Like, that was literally a discussion topic here for years.

It didn't start turning around until about the time of Dragon Quest Heroes a year after launch, and even then it took six more months to really get going.

PS4 got a total of 14 Japanese 3rd party retail games in 2014. 14 total!

I guess you can argue in somewhat good faith that 3rd parties showed more initial excitement based on announcing games that came out years later, but if you want to talk actual facts about PS4 support in 2014 and 2015 compared to Switch you just cannot argue that PS4 is better. It just falls apart.

Sure, but my point is what was actually releasing in 2015 that was still skipping the PS4?

The main releases skipping PS4 were the 3DS franchises. Tales of Zestiria is the notable PS example.

I was bringing it up because of the mention that PS5 will have a similarly slow adoption to Switch(or even PS4). You're not going to have any significant releases that are on PS4(and by extension Switch) and not PS5 after that platform's first year.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
Sure, but my point is what was actually releasing in 2015 that was still skipping the PS4?

The main releases skipping PS4 were the 3DS franchises. Tales of Zestiria is the notable PS example.

I was bringing it up because of the mention that PS5 will have a similarly slow adoption to Switch(or even PS4). You're not going to have any significant releases that are on PS4(and by extension Switch) and not PS5 after that platform's first year.

Ok...but PS4's 2015 was still pretty bad and Switch's 2018 will likely be better by any objective metric.

Yes, in our discussion/analysis, PS4 and presumably PS5 in a few years gets "credit" so to speak for getting versions of games where the lead SKU is the bigger brother- but as 2014/2015 sales showed the market impact of those titles is pretty minimal- especially when for the most part that is the extent of support- not many exclusives at all.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

Off the top of my head in 2015 for bigger pubs there was Tales, SAO, Toukiden, Taiko, Miku, Shining, FFX/X-2 and probably some others that were coming late or still just sticking to Vita. If you go lower tier there was a lot more too from Falcom, 5pb, NIS, etc.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
What were the biggest games to skip PS4 after 2014?

I know Tales of Zestiria was one glaring example in 2015 but I'm generally thinking that by 2016 there were very few franchises that were skipping the platform. The ones that were skipping it were Nintendo affiliated but most of those are on PS4 now too.

Games on PS3 but not PS4 after 2014 (bigger ones bolded)

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Bandai Namco)
[PS3] Ukiyo no Shishi (Spike Chunsoft)
[PS3/PSV] Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sui (Kaga Create)
[PS3/PSV] Winning Post 8 2015 (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3/PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (Konami)
[PS3/PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco)
[PS3/PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-hen (Bandai Namco)

[PS3/PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge (5pb.)
[PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.1-7 (Bandai Namco)

Most of them mainly around the beginning of 2015. Also, most of the biggest ones coming from Bandai Namco, actually.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head in 2015 for bigger pubs there was Tales, SAO, Toukiden, Taiko, Miku, Shining, FFX/X-2 and probably some others that were coming late or still just sticking to Vita. If you go lower tier there was a lot more too from Falcom, 5pb, NIS, etc.

FFX/X-2 were 2014 releases, but the others are good points. I forgot Toukiden Kiwami was only day/date outside of Japan.

EDIT:
Games on PS3 but not PS4 after 2014 (bigger ones bolded)

[PS3] Tales of Zestiria (Bandai Namco)
[PS3] Ukiyo no Shishi (Spike Chunsoft)
[PS3/PSV] Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sui (Kaga Create)
[PS3/PSV] Winning Post 8 2015 (Koei Tecmo)
[PS3/PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2015 (Konami)
[PS3/PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco)
[PS3/PSV] 3rd Super Robot Wars Z: Tengoku-hen (Bandai Namco)

[PS3/PSV] Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge (5pb.)
[PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.1-7 (Bandai Namco)

Most of them mainly around the beginning of 2015. Also, most of the biggest ones coming from Bandai Namco, actually.

Thanks, that's quite a limited list. To be fair you could do a list for 3DS/Switch and it would be more limited, but that's a reflection of how 3DS support completely dwindled.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It sticks out to me that there were hole in the wall developers like Remedy and 4A Games showing off DXR at GDC, but tech demo happy company Square Enix (nor any Japanese developer) was not there.

I feel that speaks to a lower level of aggression toward getting on next-gen quickly still existing between Japan and the West.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It sticks out to me that there were hole in the wall developers like Remedy and 4A Games showing off DXR at GDC, but tech demo happy company Square Enix (nor any Japanese developer) was not there.

I feel that speaks to a lower level of aggression toward getting on next-gen quickly still existing between Japan and the West.

On a technological level sure, but not on a "games on shelves" level. 2012 games without a PS5 sku will be in the minority, even if they are largely identical to the PS4 Pro versions.

Oh, sorry, I meant 2015 releases on PS4 that were late or series that were still skipping it. I thought you mean FFX/2 PS4 were 2014.

Ahh that makes sense, apologies.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Once a studio gets one game on the platform, if the next game is similar and on the same technology stack, it is much simpler to port and likely to be day and date, yes.

This was seeable with Namco's and Koei Tecmo's PC support as an example.

However, I do want to draw a special consideration here with Namco. Byking learning how to do a Switch port doesn't mean that Arc suddenly knows how to do a port, even if both games are on the same engine and from the same publisher, which is why I expect them to lag most other publishers who do their work primarily in-house.

Namco still has not gotten 100% of their partners on PC, with Media.Vision being the most notable.

Put another way, I agree Switch support will notably increase, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it took into 2019 instead of my original Fall 2018 guess, just due to how long it takes to make games now and the chain effect that has.

Of course one developer learning doesn't mean all the others learn at the same time. And I'd agree with your timeframe to see the Japanese support definitely improved. Or better, definitely improved for major publishers. I see it as a re-adjustment divided in different phases.

- last year was Phase 0, with whatever was organised before launch + some actors starting to react before they tried to prepare themselves just in case the system would've been a success (Koei Tecmo mainly)
- this year we're witnessing Phase 1, with smaller publishers and developers adjusting faster than bigger ones due to the scope of their games / smaller organisations (NIS, Entergram, Kadokawa) + bigger ones trying to adjust, some better than others, but even the ones that have yet to adapt themselves properly are trying to establish themselves on the system further with other relases (in Bandai Namco's case, mainly late ports), and things should get better as time goes by
- next year should be Phase 2, when bigger publishers will be much more prepared to release newer content on the system + mid-low ones keeping on doing their own, potentially even more than during Phase 1

Yeah, I perfectly remember those discussions since I was part of them. Also (at least for me, don't know for the others) I feel they were more "justified" compared to the current ones for Switch by, well, the very low sales PS4 was enjoying at that time in Japan. It's true that developers with a worldwide focus were still going to put titles on the system in the long run, but it's not like there weren't concerns for everything else.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
Dengeki Online Sales: Week 11, 2018 (Mar 12 - Mar 18)

01./00. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies (Nintendo) {2018.03.16} - 229,050 / NEW
02./00. [PS4] Attack on Titan 2 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 29,029 / NEW
03./00. [NSW] Attack on Titan 2 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 28,118 / NEW
04./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo) {2017.07.21} - 26,178 / 2,187,080
05./01. [PS4] Like the North Star (Sega) {2018.03.08} - 22,131 / 143,297
06./02. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World (Capcom) {2018.01.26} - 16,450 / 1,949,194
07./00. [PSV] Attack on Titan 2 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 14,506 / NEW
08./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} - 13,067 / 1,448,078
09./06. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) {2017.10.27} - 7,778 / 1,591,730
10./09. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 6,176 / 712,542
11./00. [PS4] Winning Post 8 2018 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 6,168 / NEW
12./00. [PS4] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Capcom) {2018.03.15} - 5,845 / NEW
12./00. [3DS] Future Card Buddy Fight: Tanjou! Oretachi no Saikyou Body! (FuRyu) {2018.03.15} - 5,806 / NEW
14./07. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - Advanced Edition (Ubisoft) {2018.03.01} - 5,633 / 21,174
15./00. [PS4] Gal Gun 2 (Inti Creates) {2018.03.15} - 4,147 / NEW
16./08. [NSW] Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix) {2018.03.01} - 4,078 / 39,181
17./10. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Nintendo) {2018.01.18} - 3,878 / 196,869
18./14. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} - 3,794 / 799,634
19./12. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Moon (Pokemon Co.) {2017.11.17} - 3,628 / 777,124
20./00. [PSV] Winning Post 8 2018 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 3,070 / NEW
21./16. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 2,961 / 156,791
22./23. [3DS] Mario Party: The Top 100 (Nintendo) {2017.12.28} - 2,956 / 184,071
23./00. [NSW] Winning Post 8 2018 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.03.15} - 2,688 / NEW
24./05. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I Kai - Thors Military Academy 1204 (Nihon Falcom) {2018.03.08} - 2,639 / 12,967
25./22. [NSW] Pokken Tournament DX (Pokemon Co.) {2017.09.22} - 2,611 / 241,728
26./00. [PS4] The Silver Case 2425: Kill the Past x Kill the Life (Nippon Ichi Software) {2018.03.15} - 2,450 / NEW
27./25. [NSW] ARMS (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} - 2,394 / 405,475
28./26. [NSW] 1-2-Switch (Nintendo) {2017.03.03} - 2,267 / 437,570
29./00. [NSW] Gal Gun 2 (Inti Creates) {2018.03.15} - 2,253 / NEW
30./17. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita no Takarajima (FuRyu) {2018.03.01} - 2,217 / 11,004
31./21. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.08} - 2,139 / 106,936
32./12. [PS4] Metal Gear Survive (Konami) {2018.02.21} - 2,100 / 44,668
33./15. [PS4] Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.22} - 2,088 / 62,271
34./20. [PS4] Dynasty Warriors 9 (Koei Tecmo) {2018.02.08} - 2,056 / 168,441
35./32. [3DS] Kirby Battle Royale (Nintendo) {2017.11.30} - 1,978 / 159,996
36./31. [PS4] Call of Duty: WWII (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2017.11.03} - 1,772 / 425,867
37./40. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo (Nintendo) {2016.11.23} - 1,628 / 339,560
38./30. [PS4] Dragon Ball FighterZ (Bandai Namco Games) {2018.02.01} - 1,522 / 90,880
39./36. [PS4] Minecraft: Playstation 4 Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.12.03} - 1,517 / 305,283
40./33. [NSW] FIFA 18 (Electronic Arts) {2017.09.29} - 1,511 / 114,149
41./00. [PS4] Burnout Paradise Remastered (Electronic Arts) {2018.03.16} - 1,494 / NEW
42./00. [3DS] Akogare Girls Collection: Wan Nyan Doubutsu Byouin - Pet no Oisha-san ni Narou! (Nippon Columbia) {2018.03.15} - 1,378 / NEW
43./37. [PSV] Minecraft: Playstation Vita Edition (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2015.03.19} - 1,311 / 1,194,230
44./38. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2015.10.08} - 1,283 / 364,820
45./35. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. (Capcom) {2017.08.25} - 1,211 / 216,883
46./68. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Square Enix) {2017.07.29} - 1,094 / 1,799,538
47./34. [NSW] Bayonetta 2 (Nintendo) {2018.02.17} - 1,061 / 22,383
48./54. [PS4] NieR Automata (Square Enix) {2017.02.23} - 1,033 / 383,213
49./44. [NSW] Snipperclips Plus: Cut it Out, Together! (Nintendo) {2017.11.10} - 1,000 / 62,405
50./41. [NSW] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) {2018.02.01} - 994 / 28,236

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2017     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 350,599   | 59.5%    | 8,803,691   | 28.1%   |
| PS4   | 149,536   | 25.4%    | 10,837,719  | 34.6%   |
| 3DS   | 53,890    | 9.1%     | 9,749,682   | 31.1%   |
| Vita  | 32,383    | 5.5%     | 1,469,567   | 4.7%    |
| PS3   | 1,737     | 0.3%     | 171,692     | 0.5%    |
| Wii U | 1,039     | 0.2%     | 294,700     | 0.9%    |
| X One | 126       | 0.0%     | 15,747      | 0.1%    |
| Total | 589,310   | 100.0%   | 31,342,798  | 100.0%  |
HARDWARE
Code:
| Model | This Week | Week(%)  | FY 2017     | FY(%)   |
| Switch| 49,945    | 56.6%    | 3,361,959   | 48.0%   |
| PS4   | 21,739    | 24.7%    | 1,958,867   | 27.9%   |
| 2DS   | 7,236     | 8.2%     | 797,911     | 11.4%   |
| Vita  | 4,636     | 5.3%     | 244,109     | 3.5%    |
| 3DS   | 4,403     | 5.0%     | 627,191     | 8.9%    |
| X One | 152       | 0.2%     | 7,340       | 0.1%    |
| PS3   | 35        | 0.0%     | 7,674       | 0.1%    |
| Wii U | 32        | 0.0%     | 4,690       | 0.1%    |
| Total | 88,178    | 100.0%   | 7,009,742   | 100.0%  |

Dengeki Online Sales: Week 10, 2018 (Mar 05 - Mar 11)

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

Sony will keep using their multi-platform strategy in Japan, and they will encourage Japanese developers to release all their games on PS4/PS5 until they transfer completely to PS5.

Since 3rd party enthusiasm is such a hot topic I decided to round up what the major Japanese 3rd parties had actually announced for both PS4 and Switch by their first anniversaries. It's pretty enlightening I think.

Thank you for compiling this list. I think the support is very encouraging overall, its just that people forget they comparing a system in its prime with a new system that took companies by surprise.

Japanese companies will target Switch with exclusive software in the future like they do with every successful system, maybe not to the extent of DS/3DS but it will happen for sure.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of the issue is an image problem: PS4 just got DQXI (although 3DS did too) and MH:W aka MH5, that is support that has been extremely Japan-oriented and thus, lately, Nintendo and portable-oriented. Notably these weren't things announced early for PS4; there's a life-cycle mismatch.

At the same time, the image can speak to where software is tending to go.

Switch is in the plans for the former and SE announced that on the same day it announced the game. Moreover, SE seems to be pushing 3DS successor support forward and somewhat expanding the support streams that Switch will feed from. This speaks to continuation even as DQ goes multiplatform.

It is unclear, however, if it is in the plans for the fifth generation of Monster Hunter--Capcom is hard to read on this. I think the Capcom situation lends itself to the fears that Switch came too late to avoid big consequences from the relative success of home consoles worldwide and relatively weak position and presumably only going to get weaker position of portable consoles worldwide (weak 3DS + Vita sales compared to DS + PSP, disproportionately Japanese 3DS + Vita sales, perceived inevitable death of portable console gaming to portable mobile gaming). Losing the start of the next generation of Monster Hunter to home consoles and Capcom's general flat-footedness on Switch would seem to express a lot of faith in home consoles and a lack of faith in portables from a company that had been a major 3DS partner that routinely put out some of the biggest games on the system.

Now, I think Switch is probably in the plans for the fifth generation of MH but that is just going on "It should be and Capcom is sort of turning around on Switch." I also hope it has been in said plans. If it is just now in said plans and Capcom was not planning to offset the risk of MHW with a portable entry...well, that speaks volumes imo. And the thing is...we won't know for some time what is really going on here and we don't know what Capcom takes away from MH:W's success.

I think it is on these sorts of grounds where comparison in enthusiasm is relevant, which is, again, not a comparison of Switch and PS4 at their same points in life but rather both atm and wrt major "3DS" successors and what they are doing.

I think Atlus's planned support speaks to continuation--it'll be slow in coming but 3DS support will transition to (somewhat diminished) Switch support.

Level-5 is looking just flat-footed in general atm, but that is bad for Switch in particular, given what Level-5 has been putting out.

I think BN's support speaks to continuation of Wii U/3DS support with some further support coming from newly shared multiplatform support streams. Hopefully the latter category grows.

Same thing with SEGA.

(and SE, again).

Switch has picked up some small "Vita" studio support, but it could still hopefully pick up more.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will keep using their multi-platform strategy in Japan, and they will encourage Japanese developers to release all their games on PS4/PS5 until they transfer completely to PS5.

Thank you for compiling this list. I think the support is very encouraging overall, its just that people forget they comparing a system in its prime with a new system that took companies by surprise.

Japanese companies will target Switch with exclusive software in the future like they do with every successful system, maybe not to the extent of DS/3DS but it will happen for sure.

The problem for Switch in that regard is developer resources. Who is going to be available to make Switch games and able to pivot towards it?

PS4 support is so good now because PS3, Vita, Wii/Wii U and even 3DS teams all transitioned to work on the platform. That's also why it's support could grow so much so relatively late.

Atlus is probably a good example of one of the few publishers still dedicating resources to platforms weaker than Switch.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure we'll see a lot of Switch exclusives versus software that just leads on the Switch.

Like in any previous generation, Inazuma Eleven and Phoenix Wright would have been Switch exclusives, but now the former is also on PS4 and the latter is also on mobile, even though both most likely were built explicitly with the Switch in mind.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure we'll see a lot of Switch exclusives versus software that just leads on the Switch.

Like in any previous generation, Inazuma Eleven and Phoenix Wright would have been Switch exclusives, but now the former is also on PS4 and the latter is also on mobile, even though both most likely were built explicitly with the Switch in mind.

I was thinking more of Ganbarion. They made all the Nintendo platform One Piece games, but not they are on the PS4/XBO/PC One Piece game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking more of Ganbarion. They made all the Nintendo platform One Piece games, but not they are on the PS4/XBO/PC One Piece game.
that's yet another Bamco title, so they'd be more to blame than Ganbarion. why MHA is on switch and not all the other anime games, I dont know, but I dont believe it's due to the developers, but rather Bamco

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
that's yet another Bamco title, so they'd be more to blame than Ganbarion. why MHA is on switch and not all the other anime games, I dont know, but I dont believe it's due to the developers, but rather Bamco

Sure, I'm not blaming Ganbarion. My point is we're not going to get an exclusive One Piece game on Switch, or Dragon Ball Fusions 2 as a Switch exclusive because that developer is now a PS4/XBO/PC developer.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It is just the way Japanese companies make video games, they target a specific system first, and then they see their options from there. by the time Switch released, most developers have already transitioned to PS4, they thought portables are over and Nintendo was in a weak position.
but the Switch isn't only selling well, its selling extremely well, especially in the American market which became very important for them especially. so Japanese companies are adjusting and developing more games for the platform, and they will dedicate more resources to it. btw, I don't mean necessarily very big games, but think about games like Caligula/Dragon's Crown for example, the Switch will have some projects made especially for it in the future in the same way. the big stuff will be multi-platform almost all the time though.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's more a general trend. Some PlayStation games that would have been exclusive (in Japan) are now coming on the Switch too.

The 3DS didn't get franchises like Dragon Quest Builders, Ys, Disgaea, the KT Warriors titles (Dysnasty, Samurai, Orochi), Dragon Ball Xenoverse...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, I'm not blaming Ganbarion. My point is we're not going to get an exclusive One Piece game on Switch, or Dragon Ball Fusions 2 as a Switch exclusive because that developer is now a PS4/XBO/PC developer.
Ganbarion is still a Switch dev too though. In fact they've already done a Switch port, which coincidentally happened to be their first PS4/Steam game. They have this pipeline in place even if it might've been too late for World Seeker.

Speaking of which I'm betting we'll see a multiplat DB Fusions remaster. The game already looks good at HD resolutions in Citra.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If we're going to complain about Japanese Switch devs one company I'd like to single out is Spike Chunsoft. They were featured on Nintendo's initial 3rd party developer list well over a year ago and still have yet to announce a developed game, instead having just picked up a couple other studios efforts for localization. Even their parent company released something already (Niconico App).

I really expexted something from them by now, be it more Nintendo friendly (Shiren, Zero Escape) or PS associated (Danganronpa, Fire Pro) but nothing. At the rate they're going it'll probably end up being Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Games moving into 6+ year dev cycles sounds really bad for business. I wonder how platforms like PS5 will even sell when there are only a handfull of endless multiplayer focused service games that can succeed. I guess the big western publishers will be laser focused on these games but Japanese publishers will struggle to find success in that space. The Switch is the only way out.

Oct 26, 2017
Games moving into 6+ year dev cycles sounds really bad for business. I wonder how platforms like PS5 will even sell when there are only a handfull of endless multiplayer focused service games that can succeed. I guess the big western publishers will be laser focused on these games but Japanese publishers will struggle to find success in that space. The Switch is the only way out.

I mean, eventually game development will hit a point where increasing these dev cycles is nearly impossible and publishers will have stop.

But I don't know if next gen will be that point.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
AOT 2 Switch performing comparable with the PS4 version is okay though, even if the game didn't sell well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.